I am considerin' training in a martial art....

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

I am considerin' training in a martial art....

Postby oro! » Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:23 pm

In a couple of months, I hope to be able to start in a martial art. I just don't really know which one I should choose. There are a few dojos near where I live that teach: taekwondo, karate, aikido, and ju jitsu I think. First and foremost: are there any ones that are not good for a Christian?
Which one do you think would be good for me to try, on principles and such?
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby Norimoru » Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:30 pm

I use tot take Tae Kwon Do, but I don't remember much about it. It was a good style though, to be used only in self defence of course.
Norimoru

Postby agasfas » Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:05 pm

i perfer brazilian ju jitsu. It's a grappling style. Though i heard aikido is good as well. It uses basic body movements to counter act the attacker. It's very interesting. Steven segal choice of martial arts :P. Tae Kwon Do, well to be honest I'm not the biggest fan. When any style focus more on tournament and ways to score than the actual fighting itself it degrades the art and the style. IT seem like every time i watch a tournament all they do are kicks and then the scorer then falls down afterwards. They get more points for certain kicks to different body parts. Very convenient. But the basic fundamentals i do like. They teach the basics which are a necessity to any style. The basic kicks, punches and forms. Overall it's a good style. I'm not saying it's bad because it not, i'm only talking about the tournament/sport aspects of it. That goes the same with any other style that focuses on points than the actual style and art of it. But personally I would find something that you feel interested in your drawn to the most. For me i like to know more than one so i have a good overall understanding of basic fighting. Also leaves you open for changing your strategies. So when i was young i learned tae kwon do (only for about 3month; i had no money), then in high school i learned wrestling (mainly grappling) and now i'm working independently (in my room) on boxing/kick boxing. That's what i really like about Brue Lee, he made his own style which took things that worked from all styles he knew and brought them in to one style (jeet kune do).
And to answer your question about if anyone of them are not christian; well to be honest i don't know to much. Usually most martial arts come for the eastern realms of the world so most likely they are influenced a bit by eastern relgions.. Like Tia-Chi (sp?) is heavy in teaching the eastern religion aspects (so i've heard). But Tae kwon do i think is more americanized. But you may need to do some research, usually most sites have the history of the art.
**Random**
I really believe that Martial arts can have a great impact on the person. It teaches self-denfense (fighting only as a last resort) and self respect. I've said this earlier somewhere, but if you know how to carry yourself one become less likely to become a target. And Martial arts does just that. Just don't let the power get to your head like i've seen so many people do. I really hope you find a style that best suits you, keep us informed if you find one. I would really be interested.
"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine.." Prov 17:22

The word 'impossible' isn't in my dictionary... but I don't really have a dictionary you know? - Eikichi Onizuka.
Sorry, but I stop being a teacher at 5 o'clock. - Eikichi Onizuka.
agasfas

Postby starfire » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:30 pm

I may be able to offer some assistance in this matter as I have studied and taken a class in martial arts. Aikido is known as an internal martial art, focusing on the spiritual aspect of one's strength rather than pure and brute force. It is a series of throws to counteract and use one's own strength against them. While intended not to hurt the attacker, the moves can be dangerous. In irony it is the martial art with the highest rate of injuries, being as, if not executed properly the throws can lead to quite serious personal injury such as sprains and broken legs.

I myself have taken lessons in karate and found it to be enjoyable. While it is based in the Japanese Shinto religion, most American dojos teach watered down techniques. The seemingly "sugarcoated" versions are not as intense or rigorous as their Japanese counterparts, while still a good form of physical activity. From what I understand they have many competitions one may attend regardless of one's belt color. There will, as with mostly any sport, inariably be people you do not like. Some talk about other religions and such however depending on where you live, there may be Christians as well.

JuiJutsu is a more "hard-core", so to speak, type of Judo. Brazilian JuiJutsu is a martial art I am not familiar with, however I do know that it consists of a series of throws and counterattacks. Very likely the most Sumo-like martial art. It is a bit more dangerous and physically challenging thatn karate.

Taekwondo is a Korean martial art which most hard core martial artists find to be too sugarcoated. They follow a belt system. All techniques at children's dojos are mostly geared toward defensive purposes. However, in the adult classes one can find a wider range of techniques. My own opinion of Taekwondo in America is that it is somewhat mainstream and loses its traditional values. Most likely no need to fear religious conflicts.

As far as religious conflicts I can't tell you what is right and wrong. Your conscience should be your guide as far as this aspect. If you get into the more serious and less Westernized martial arts such as Ninjutsu and Kendo you will see the shinto issue rear its head. I personally steer clear of those, also martial arts involving meditation. Best not to let one's mind go where it doesn't belong. Especially mine, I have a hard enough time keeping track of my shoes! ;) Some martial arts practice the use of chi but that's mostly in Tai Chi or Kung Fu so I don't hink you have to worry. Also do not get yourself into a commitment. Call around the local dojos and ask if you may come in for a trial session. Most dojos will be happy to oblige if they do not offer it. Remember that most martial arts dojos will want your parents to sign a contract so if you don't feel comfortable or aren't sure about which one you would like to choose, don't feel pressured to join. Also, when I first became interested in martial arts I had a glassy-eyed view that after a few kendo lessons I'd be Kenshin. :lol: Martial arts are arguably a sport. I had a Taekwondo instructor tell my father that you're not going to be able to flip a 300lb guy but you will learn practical techniques that may serve you well. MY best advice would be to do your research and be realistic. If you do those things martial arts can be great fun and a very rewarding extracurricular activity! God bless
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?threadid=27354
My thread. Click the magical link and ye shall be transported to a land of threadiness!

You shall still ph3ar the ninja! ^ ~

God bless and keep you all the days of your life.
starfire

Postby oro! » Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:30 pm

Thanks, so far with your advice, CAAers. I am actually doing a bit of research, contrary to what you might have thought. I just thought it might be a good thing to hear what some fellow Christians thought.
I've a while any way.
Starfire, I found it funny what you said about Kenjutsu, I mean Kendo and Kenshin. I remember thinkin' of myself like that an' tryin' the moves once after watching one of the episodes. Ouch! Haha.
Too bad there is no kendo dojo that I know of.
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby CDLviking » Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:39 pm

If Kendo interests you, then you can also try looking for Shinkendo or Iaito dojos too.
CDLviking

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:17 pm

First and foremost: are there any ones that are not good for a Christian?
Greatly depends on the dojo. You might be interested in (read signature.) IF you watn more traditional Judo, stay clear of the sport Judo. BrazzilianJ ujitsu is basicly ground fighting.

MY dojo is very traditional but were don't learn any religion at all. The owner does teach it a bit, but Wise- sensei (Yes that is his name Nikk Wise), not at all.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby SpikeSpiegel306 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:27 pm

Is there any outcome you expect from martial arts, i mean, are you taking it for any certain reason? This could help narrow down the choices somewhat.
SpikeSpiegel306

Postby Destroyer2000 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:04 pm

Hm...I don't know all about that, but from my experience, girls in kimonos with swords = cool.
My Flickr
My Travel Blog

[color="Red"]Distance is to Love as Wind is to Fire...it extinguishes the small, and ignites the great. - Unknown[/color]

[color="RoyalBlue"]“Falling in love with someone isn't always going to be easy... Anger... tears... laughter.. It's when you want to be together despite it all. That's when you truly love another. I'm sure of it.â€
Destroyer2000

Postby oro! » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:21 pm

Destroyer2000 wrote:Hm...I don't know all about that, but from my experience, girls in kimonos with swords = cool.

Ha ha. What's that supposed to mean, huh?
oro!

Postby oro! » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:24 pm

SpikeSpiegel306 wrote:Is there any outcome you expect from martial arts, i mean, are you taking it for any certain reason? This could help narrow down the choices somewhat.

I want to be able to defend myself and really, I want to try a sport. I haven't done that in a few years. I think it would be great discipline and might help me get somewhat more flexible and fit. :sweat:
oro!

Postby Solid Ronin » Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:25 am

oro!girl7 wrote:In a couple of months, I hope to be able to start in a martial art. I just don't really know which one I should choose. There are a few dojos near where I live that teach: taekwondo, karate, aikido, and ju jitsu I think. First and foremost: are there any ones that are not good for a Christian?
Which one do you think would be good for me to try, on principles and such?

Well this depend on what you want to take them for..Sport..okie..self defense....ehhh!

Taekwondo Karate are sports there for not as effective in any real combat situation.

Alhough you didnt mention it Ninjutsu in reality isnt a good art for christians too take..but I dont care so..Im not sure about Aikido..I believe it was a spirt side to it..but then again it depends on the dojo as another said.

-Destroyer2000 wrote:Hm...I don't know all about that, but from my experience, girls in kimonos with swords = cool.

not too mention sexy .
Solid Ronin

Postby oro! » Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:20 am

Ronin of Kirai wrote:not too mention sexy .

sigh. Guys never change. :lol:
oro!

Postby SpikeSpiegel306 » Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:50 am

oro!girl7 wrote:I want to be able to defend myself and really, I want to try a sport. I haven't done that in a few years. I think it would be great discipline and might help me get somewhat more flexible and fit. :sweat:

Hmm...Defense and sport would probably be along the lines of Jui-jutsu or Aikido, any kind of internal/counter attack martial art pretty much. If you are interested in weapons then I recommend Iyaido (if you wanna learn all different types of weapon styles) or Kendo/Shinkendo for an American for sword training.
SpikeSpiegel306

Postby SpikeSpiegel306 » Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:56 am

Aiyah! Sumanai sumanai! please forgive me, I did not mean Aikido (it is not a sport). my mind was elsewhere and I meant to type Tenmyu. I do not know if they have it in America, but the equivalent would be similar to either Jeet Kun Do ir Gung Fu I believe.
SpikeSpiegel306

Postby CDLviking » Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:44 pm

Obata Toshishiro wants very badly to open a shinkendo dojo in Japan.

In the future, if you make a mistake you can use the edit button instead of adding another post.
CDLviking

Postby EireWolf » Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:01 pm

I take a style of karate called Shito Ryu. My instructor is a Christian, and he's a very good teacher in that he explains what all the moves in the kata are about. It really depends on your instructor, whether or not you're going to learn to defend yourself well. It also depends on how hard you want to work. :) I do encourage you to check around at different dojos and see which one you like the best.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
[indent]~~Gandalf, in Fellowship of the Ring[/indent]
EireWolf

Postby oro! » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:44 pm

I will. I have found one that is at a church, so I might look there. Also, it has lessons for free!
oro!

Return to General Entertainment