The Day after Tomorrow

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

The Day after Tomorrow

Postby Zane » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:14 am

Hey, Anyone seen this??
I didn't find it in the search thing.
I saw it last night, and I did enjoy it, there weren't any major hick-ups that I had with the actual movie/plot etc. But I would have liked to see other countries being swamped by the rising seas.. ie Holland, Oz (praticularly Sydney, like some of the posters were advertising here) and the pacific islands like Vanuatu which would have been totally sunk.

From a Geographers pov, the ocean current would not freeze up, and lead to an iceage, but the idea was good, warning ppl about stuffing around with the environment. I think there might be a negative feedback system at play, which God put in on purpose when Global warming does cause an warmer atmosphere, therefore more H2O evaporation, therefore more clouds, therefore more reflection of solar radiation, and thats just one feedback.

Actually it is really interesting to see how the earth works as a system, ie the biosphere, hydrosphere, solid earth, and atmosphere all interplay with one another to produce the world we are living in. And it TOTALLY points to God, it is way to unique and designed to deny Him that.

Back to the movie :brow: I liked it how all the US ppl had to go to mexico, and they closed their boarders :) Now THATS dramatic irony right there.
:lol:
Zane

Postby c.t.,girl » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:22 am

i heard from sum1 it was like fundedby like environmentalists or sumthing like that.

my mom luvz disaster movies, i mean she watches deep impact like all the time! i'm so bored of it now! i mean i liked it at first and then she ruined it. she really wants to watch this movie. ugh! as long as she doesn't do the same to this one. ;)
[color="DarkOrange"]"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things... hey... the good things don't always soften the bad things; but vice-versa the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant." -11th Doctor

"The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who’ll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. Things occur to you. If you’re sitting around trying to dream up a great art idea, you can sit there a long time before anything happens. But if you just get to work, something will occur to you and something else will occur to you and something else that you reject will push you in another direction. Inspiration is absolutely unnecessary and somehow deceptive. You feel like you need this great idea before you can get down to work, and I find that’s almost never the case." - Chuck Close[/color]
c.t.,girl

Postby Technomancer » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:18 am

Well, the science in the movie is pretty awful even for Hollywood, but there is some trutth to the idea that melting ice could cause a cold snap. Basically, there is a massive current called the 'Deep Ocean Conveyer' that draws warm water from the south into the North Atlantic. There it cools and sinks. However, large enough pulse of fresh water into the North Atlantic would change the salinity (and thus the density), and halt or slow that sinking. No sinking means that the coneyer is effectively shut down, so the North Atlantic becomes a giant ice box. While this would result in a very sudden, and deep cold snap the scenario presented in the movie is utter nonsense. Incidentally, there is reason to believe that a similar event occured during the end of the last ice age (the Wisconsin), when an ice dam gave way causing Lake Agassiz to drain.

As far as global warming goes, the science behind it is very solid (the physics being pretty much inescapable). Increased cloud cover for example presupposes warmer temperatures, and thus at best would act as a damping factor but not be able to reverse the trend. There are also incidentally, several positive feedback mechanisms that could enhance warming as well (such as methane being released from thawing permafrost).
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Gypsy » Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:42 am

I'm a big fan of "end of the world" movies (how sadistic of me Image). Actually, c.t.,girl, I really like Deep Impact too - your mother is not alone. Image

I think I like them because they show the best and the worst of human nature. You see self sacrifice and core values revealed, along with heinous acts of selfishness and mass panic.

I didn't find it too difficult to push the tree hugger stuff aside and enjoy it as a regular disaster movie. The ice part really made me dread the fast approaching winter, though. :(
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby agasfas » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:22 am

To be honest i've never seen anyone of those "end of the world" movies: deep impact, armageddon or day after tomorrow. I feel left out.... ::::goes hide in the corner:::
"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine.." Prov 17:22

The word 'impossible' isn't in my dictionary... but I don't really have a dictionary you know? - Eikichi Onizuka.
Sorry, but I stop being a teacher at 5 o'clock. - Eikichi Onizuka.
agasfas

Postby Technomancer » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:41 am

They are kind of fun for the reasons that Gypsy mentioned, although with a few exceptions I don't think I'd call any of them very good. Admittedly, there's a certain temptation for those of us who have training in the relevant sciences to have fun with the scenarios/solutions presented.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Ssjjvash » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 am

Man, I was gonna do a search for this, but now I don't have to! ^_^
I loved the movie!!! It was funny because the day after we saw it, it was storming and hailing!! My brother and I were a little freaked out by it. hahaha!
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone
And so hold on when there is nothing left in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!' ...you'll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling

Satan, bite the dust!Image

"You are not who your mistakes say you are; you are not the sum of your failures!"---Rev. Billy Miller

Proverbs 18:24
Ssjjvash

Geogs stuff.

Postby Zane » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:17 pm

As far as global warming goes, the science behind it is very solid (the physics being pretty much inescapable). Increased cloud cover for example presupposes warmer temperatures, and thus at best would act as a damping factor but not be able to reverse the trend. There are also incidentally, several positive feedback mechanisms that could enhance warming as well (such as methane being released from thawing permafrost).

:rant:
I realize that there's many +ve and -ve feedback systems, I used the cloud cover one as an example. But the fact is that we serious just don't know how the earth will react with the extra heating. Perveition is the best option by far, which is not being utalised probably by 1st world nations. The Kyoto Protocol isn't the final solution, but it was a step forward and I was very disappointed that 'jobs' were given a higher preverence than the wellbeing of this planet, which we absolutly need to survive. Clinton signed it then Bush took it back and stupiedly lots of other countries follow his example, Australia being one of them, i think, and thats NOT cool.

The sad thing is that to develop a 3rd world country into a 1st world country, industalisation is the factor everyone points to which Im not disputing, but in terms of the planet, 3rd world countries r pointing the finger at 1st WC to lower their Greenhouse gas emission, but then want to industralise to become the exact same problem the 1st wc currently are.

I don't know,... I figure; reduce, reuse, recylce in that order, and not put the economy in front of the environment, cause the economy can always be fixed, but once theres a certain amount of damage to an ecosystem, ie the rainforests in S. America thats it pretty much. Facts like 3/4 Americans own a car dosn't help change the ideas ingranded in peoples attiudes to change.

Anyway, obviously guys, watch the movie and then also think about the fact that there is truth in it, and we are doing unrepairable damage to environment. Because it is Gods planet we're screwing up anyhow. :shady:
Zane

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:08 am

I watched it with my group of friends and we turned it into a comedy^^ Some of the stuff was just great. Random wolves and stuff... oh, at the appearance of "Titanic!" "Look! Titanic's coming to save them!" Heh it was a good time...

Of course, disaster movies are always centered around America. Too bad in this one movie where Canada was mentioned [spoiler] We already died a long long time ago! -_-' [/spoiler]

I expected it to end how it did, but my friend hated endings like it. Actually, now that I think about it [spoiler] Did the storm end when everyone got to Mexico or was it still going? *shrugs* Well whatever, ended in the right place I guess. [/spoiler]
Tenshi no Ai

Postby ashfire » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:03 pm

I seen the movie at the theater in June while I was on a convention vacation.
When I seen where Washington DC was frezzing over it made me think about my job in the DC area. Snow Removal! Yeah Right Pal! I'll See You In Florida! I'll have to get the DVD when I get a chance.
ashfire

Postby c.t.,girl » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:47 pm

man i watched it and i totally bored me! my mom didn't like it either. my dad was the only one who liked it. ugh!
[color="DarkOrange"]"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things... hey... the good things don't always soften the bad things; but vice-versa the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant." -11th Doctor

"The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who’ll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. Things occur to you. If you’re sitting around trying to dream up a great art idea, you can sit there a long time before anything happens. But if you just get to work, something will occur to you and something else will occur to you and something else that you reject will push you in another direction. Inspiration is absolutely unnecessary and somehow deceptive. You feel like you need this great idea before you can get down to work, and I find that’s almost never the case." - Chuck Close[/color]
c.t.,girl

Postby Jaltus-bot » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:35 am

I thought it was a good movie.
When I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Asdvadz hedut ullah! (W. Armenian, "May God bless you!")

It's cosplay, get used to it.

"A hero need not speak. For when he is gone, the world will speak for him."

"One of the nice things about diseases of the brain is they tend to slip your mind." Colbert
Jaltus-bot

Postby Magekind » Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:40 am

It was pretty good, science aside. The graphics/Special FX were good. Good acting, fairly good stuntwork...

Okay, the science was sad. Gotta admit, that was one awesome hammer, though.
Take it like you gave it; what else matters in the end? To be honest, it's all a one-shot test; that leaves plenty of places to go wrong, but how will you ever know? There's a pointer, I will admit. Turn it on, listen to it, feel it burn.

At-Close Paren-Right inclusive bracket-Tilde. Thanks to CAA mods. Taken from Jaden Mental's sig.
Magekind

Return to General Entertainment