Princess Mononoke

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Princess Mononoke

Postby Heart of Sword » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:31 am

Besides all the "gods", I really enjoyed this movie. Ashitaka's cute...definetely a bishie... :sweat: But the deer spirit creature was really freaky...deer with human faces are just odd... :eh: :lol:
Heart of Sword's Rhapsody

Money, get away
Get a good job with good pay and you're okay
And all and all you're just another brick in the wall
Shoutin’ in the street gonna take on the world some day
But Bismallah will not let me go
Because I'll see you on the dark side of the moon

Tommy used to work on the docks
Union's been on strike
Bright eyes burning like fire
And exposing every weakness
However carefully hidden by the kids

Who will love a little Sparrow
Who's traveled far and cries for rest
Spare him his life from this monstrosity

I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all
And if the band youre in starts playing different tunes
We will we will rock you
We will we will rock you!

[Pink Floyd fan listening to Queen and hugging trees which is also known as taking care of God's creation with a pair of headphones on listening to Nightwish as loud as possible while writing a novel on a computer in the middle of a field filled with Wolves.]

[Bassist...finally learning Money]
Heart of Sword

Postby kaji » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:44 am

You mean the Spirit of the Forest? Yah, he was a little creepy, but not as creepy as when lord Okoto (or however you spell that) turns into a demon…
I also appreciated this movie. The voices were done well, the animation was good, the characters were compelling and the story good.

Its one of those stories where each of the main characters is a good guy in their own way, and each is a bad guy in their own way. And Ashitaka is the one sent to bring balance to the land. You will find balance as a common theme is a lot of anime. Its not like western movies where the good guy wins, or get the girl, instead the good guy gives his life (which didn’t really happen in this one) to bring about balance.

Kaji’s Rating (out of 5): :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Depend on it. God's work done in God's way will never lack God's supply. He is too wise a God to frustrate His purposes for lack of funds, and He can just as easily supply them ahead of time as afterwards, and He much prefers doing so.
- J. Hudson Taylor
I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?" "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet. You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times." It was all true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach. He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
kaji

Postby Heart of Sword » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:16 pm

I didn't think that Ashitaka had a bad bone in him... :lol: But Princess Mononoke... ... :eh: *does not want to get bitten by Princess Mononoke*

His curse is odd, though. When I first saw it (when his arm pulsates and the black worms/snakes crawl around under his sleeve), I was compelled to say "Eeeek!" out loud but I suppressed that urge... :wow!: :sweat: ...nevertheless, a moment later...that samurai guy's arms get shot off by the arrow. Double "Eeeeks" in a row...but at the same time it was funny because he was standing there, not bleeding, just looking around, like, "Where'd my arms go?" He looked so utterly confused... :sweat:

Those tree spirits were freaky. Especially when...

[SPOILER]
At the end, that one comes out, sits down, waits, then its head goes "clickclickclickclickrattle"... :eyebrow:
[/SPOILER]

Money, get away

Union's been on strike

We will we will rock you

[Pink Floyd fan listening to Queen and hugging trees which is also known as taking care of God's creation with a pair of headphones on listening to Nightwish as loud as possible while writing a novel on a computer in the middle of a field filled with Wolves.]

Heart of Sword

Postby AngelSakura » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:41 pm

Did you notice that when Ashitaka was carrying that unconcious dude through the forest, and all the little kodama are following him, some of them copy him and start carrying each other piggyback? That was adorable! :grin:
Think happy thoughts.
AngelSakura

Postby bigsleepj » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:43 pm

Mononoke was excellent; it's really a movie that isn't very predictable to its credit, but it does suffer from terminal weirdness. It's a very trippy movie especially the ending

[SPOILER]"We brought you your head!!"[/SPOILER]
bigsleepj

Postby Zane » Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:46 pm

The animation was good, but when I saw it I was like.... :shady: It had a good concept the whole... find a cure to save your life etc, and the music was good, human character design. But the whole Gods weirdness thing, and demons etc it was too overwhelming for me to enjoy the entire movie.

So I didn't think it was anything 'special', it was well done, and looked nice, but its not on my recommendation list.
Zane

Postby MorwenLaicoriel » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:43 pm

^_^ Ever since I saw Spirited Away I've been trying to see as many of Miyazaki's movies as I can, and I really liked this one. It probably had the most bad-religion of any of his movies, though...over all, good movie, but I think my favorite is Castle in the Sky. ^_^
Ashitaka is a DEFINATE bishie...XD
[url=l33tbeat.blogspot.com]l33t beat[/url] -- News, reviews and opinions on anime, video games, and fantasy fiction
MorwenLaicoriel

Postby Heart of Sword » Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:56 am

I haven't seen Castle in the Sky yet.

Prince Ashitaka is the prince of the bishies in my opinion...there should be a contest between him and Haku... :evil:

Money, get away

Union's been on strike

We will we will rock you

Heart of Sword

Postby MorwenLaicoriel » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:07 pm

Ooh...I forgot about Haku...

Haku...Ashitaka....Haku....Ashitaka...argh! Can't choose!
[url=l33tbeat.blogspot.com]l33t beat[/url] -- News, reviews and opinions on anime, video games, and fantasy fiction
MorwenLaicoriel

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:46 pm

I remembered seeing this in the movie rental and seen it before, so I had to get it. My anime craze was just starting up. Blew me away! Never has such an odd movie turned out being so GOOD! Watched it several times during the rental, then downloaded it at one point because I HAD to see it again, and then I bought it on VHS, which I then sold to get the DVD because I really wanted to hear it in Japanese....

For those who seen it in Japanese, does uhhh... Maro sound a bit... masculine? And when I say "a bit" I mean A LOT!

Also yeah Castle in the Sky is a VERY nice Miyazaki flick. One of his more underrated ones, but it is just a very nice movie. Looks dull, but the scenes of the, well, caslt ei nthe sky it just puts you in awe with the imagination...

Anyone else eager to get their hands on Nausicaa, Totoro, and/or Porco? I definately want to get Nausicaa (VERY recommended,) and Totoro because it's amusing and I wanna see it in orginal Japanese without Angela off of Rugrat's voice acting. Still deciding about Porco though. Doesn't look too appealing, so maybe worth a rent first.
Tenshi no Ai

Postby CDLviking » Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:16 pm

Personally, I loved Porco Rosso. I would recommend it.
CDLviking

Postby Mangafanatic » Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:07 pm

I think he's good, but I like Miyizaki better. Miyizaki's cleaner.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby true_noir_chloe » Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:04 pm

What I really loved about this movie is what Kaji touched on, which is everyone has both good and evil traits, and everyone believes their way is the right way. I mean, everyone is right according to their own point of view - which meant the movie had some characters which were more interesting than your usual "this is the good guy and that is the bad guy."

That is why Ashitaka had to view the world through unclouded eyes (something like that) in order to bring these very different views together, playing the peacemaker. If you really think about it there is a Christian moral message here, not Christ-message, but a moral one. The wisest man is the one who can freely look at people with no judgment, no jealousy, no self involved. A true peacemaker has unclouded eyes. Anyways, that's my two cents - *suddenly feels the urge to sip some tea*:sweat:

The whole God of the Forest thing did not bother me at all, that was the premise of their fantasy world in Miyazaki's fantastical movie. So, I had to watch it from his reference point, since he was the creator. When I create something, I will hope people enjoy it from my reference point, which will definitely be our God-based.

Now, this is one of my favorite Miyazaki movies, next to "My Neighbor Totoro." I love "Spirited Away" also, but "Princess Mononoke" just has such great characters.

It gets Chloe's rating of (borrowing Kaji's method): :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: 1/2

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby Bobtheduck » Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:41 pm

Hmm... I'm gonna go lister on all of ya's

1. It was beautiful... The most beautiful work of animation I've ever seen, and that includes Secret of Nimh (but Nimh is also incredible) and Prince of Egypt... And Spirited Away...
2. It was epic... Epics don't usually catch me as much as smaller stories do, so the story wasn't quite as high on my list.
3. The Shinto elements, AKA the plot, don't bother me one bit. I treat it as mythology... Now why I can't do that to the book of Mormon or The DaVinci Code, I don't know... Maybe because they are a bit too close to home.
4. As for the "balance" thing, that's just Buddhism. Yin and Yang. Everything good has some evil, everything evil has some good, and there needs to be a balance of good and evil in the world... This is wrong. Eventually the evil will be removed. It will all be in Hell, and heaven (or rather the new Earth) will be nothing but good. In our earthly eyes and earthly understanding, we need shadow to see substance, but God's perfect rises so far above that, we can't even comprehend it now. So, the "balance" is the ultimate viewpoint from the earthly perspective. It's just not a correct one in view of eternity. As for how this comes out in the movie, it does not bother me personally, but it bothers me when Christians latch onto this balance Idea from things like this and things like Star Wars... There will be evil, probably more evil than good, until the end, but the evil will not last forever. In the end, only good. In the end, only God...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Return to General Entertainment