Beowulf Movie??!!!

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Beowulf Movie??!!!

Postby Britomart » Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:38 pm

Yo all! I just found out that they are trying to make a Beowulf movie, and it's filming right now! :dance: I just read that story for the first time a couple of days ago and I thought it was SO COOl! I'm just really into that kind of thing, and I can't wait to find out more about it!
Ok, so I just found out, again, that their is a really lousy version of Beowulf, and some other people are just trying to remake it. sorry :bang:

KristalKlears siggy pics ROCK! :rock: Thank you, Kristal!

I'm nobody. Are you nobody too?
Don't tell, they'd banish us you know.
How dreary to be somebody,
How public, like a frog
to tell your name the livelong day
to an admiring bog

Emily Dickinson
Britomart

Postby CDLviking » Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:46 pm

There has already been at least one Beowulf movie (though I hear it was pretty awful) and I'm sure there are others. It would be nice if they made it a good movie this time.

Here's another interesting fact about me. Around seminary, one of my nicknames is Hrothgar, Lord of the Mead Hall. We actually tried to convert my dorm room into a Mead Hall, but I couldn't find a place to hang Grendel's arm.
CDLviking

Postby Hitokiri » Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:56 pm

CDLviking wrote:There has already been at least one Beowulf movie (though I hear it was pretty awful) and I'm sure there are others. It would be nice if they made it a good movie this time.

It is veeeerrryyy bad and corny and fake. I had to eatch it for english. :eh:
Hitokiri

Postby Technomancer » Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:50 pm

Hitokiri wrote:It is veeeerrryyy bad and corny and fake. I had to eatch it for english. :eh:

:lol:

As far as the original story goes, the movie is a travesty. In some ways though, it's a classic of bad film-making, and can be a fair bit of fun if you watch it with the right mindset.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby CDLviking » Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:56 pm

This is the Christopher Lambert one you're talking about?
CDLviking

Postby SwordSkill » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:14 pm

Wasn't there a movie that was kind-of, sort-of loosely based on Beowulf years ago? The Thirteenth Warrior or some other, starring Antonio Banderas. Seemed to me to be too much like Kurosawa's The Seven Samurai.

Hey, ye who Britomart hights...be thou a follower of the Faerie Queene? ^^
*Insert witty saying here*
SwordSkill

Postby CDLviking » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:44 pm

Thirteenth Warrior was based on Michael Creighton's (sp?) Eaters of the Dead, if I'm not mistaken. The western The Magnificent Seven actually was a western remake of The Seven Samurai.
CDLviking

Postby Jaltus-bot » Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:25 pm

You are not mistaken about Thirteenth Warrior being based on Eaters of the Dead.

A couple of years ago I saw a slightly post noclear styled, slightly altered version of a Beowolf movie. I rather liked it. I've never heard of any other version of Beowolf movie than that one.
When I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Asdvadz hedut ullah! (W. Armenian, "May God bless you!")

It's cosplay, get used to it.

"A hero need not speak. For when he is gone, the world will speak for him."

"One of the nice things about diseases of the brain is they tend to slip your mind." Colbert
Jaltus-bot

Postby Aka-chan » Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:48 am

My friend (a Brit Lit teacher who goes through Beowulf every year with her classes) said that 13th Warrior is based loosely on Beowulf, though there are obvious changes as well as easy-to-see parallels. I haven't read Eaters of the Dead, but I would think it was at least inspired by Beowulf if 13th Warrior came from it.
Aka-chan

Postby SwordSkill » Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:03 am

Yep to what Aka-chan said. That's the reason why we had to watch 13th Warrior for school after taking up Beowulf. I haven't read Crichton's book yet, though I was aware of it after watching the movie and when I had to do a paper on the film. Hehe, it's all coming back to me now. :lol:

And 13th Warrior still reminds me a lot of Seven Samurai, quite personally, what with all that rounding-up-of-warriors-to-save-another-land theme going around. XD And no, I've never heard of The Magnificent Seven.
*Insert witty saying here*
SwordSkill

Postby Technomancer » Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:00 am

Aka-chan wrote:My friend (a Brit Lit teacher who goes through Beowulf every year with her classes) said that 13th Warrior is based loosely on Beowulf, though there are obvious changes as well as easy-to-see parallels. I haven't read Eaters of the Dead, but I would think it was at least inspired by Beowulf if 13th Warrior came from it.

I have to admit, I really don't see the similarity, other than that both involve iron age Scandanavia.

This is the Christopher Lambert one you're talking about?

That's the one.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Britomart » Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:37 pm

SwordSkill wrote:
Hey, ye who Britomart hights...be thou a follower of the Faerie Queene? ^^

Yes! Now I know 3 people who know who I am! :dance:

And thank you all for the infromation. Does anybody know where I can get more information on the NEW Beowulf movie?

KristalKlears siggy pics ROCK! :rock: Thank you, Kristal!

I'm nobody. Are you nobody too?
Don't tell, they'd banish us you know.
How dreary to be somebody,
How public, like a frog
to tell your name the livelong day
to an admiring bog

Emily Dickinson
Britomart

Postby Kisa » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:17 pm

My brother loved this book, so it will be interesting to see a movie about it.
There is a older Beowulf movie too . . . can't remember what year, actors, ect . . .
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby glitch1501 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:10 pm

we read excerpts from it in english, and i liked it alot, i hope this new movie is good, my english teacher said that the previous movie was horrible

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby PumpkinKoRn52 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:39 pm

If this movie does come out, I wanna see it. The old one is good for laughs.
"Relax, turn around, and take my hand." Tool
"Heir Kommt Die Sonne." Rammestein
"Now the world is gone, I'm just one. Oh please God help me." Metallica
"Are You Ready?!?" KoRn
"All and all your just another brick in the wall." Pink Floyd.
The downfall of society will be society itself.
Rap is the malignant tumor of the music industry.
I HATE LINKIN PARK
PumpkinKoRn52

Postby PumpkinKoRn52 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:41 pm

Oh, by the way, the 13th warrior is loosely based on beowulf, but is primarilly based on Eaters of the Dead. An AWESOME book. Chrichton might have based it on beowulf though.
"Relax, turn around, and take my hand." Tool
"Heir Kommt Die Sonne." Rammestein
"Now the world is gone, I'm just one. Oh please God help me." Metallica
"Are You Ready?!?" KoRn
"All and all your just another brick in the wall." Pink Floyd.
The downfall of society will be society itself.
Rap is the malignant tumor of the music industry.
I HATE LINKIN PARK
PumpkinKoRn52

Postby Kisa » Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:08 am

Yea the older movie was bad, we turned it off in the first few minutes of it and returned it to the rental store . . .
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby greyscale42 » Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:27 am

Britomart wrote:Yo all! I just found out that they are trying to make a Beowulf movie, and it's filming right now! :dance: I just read that story for the first time a couple of days ago and I thought it was SO COOl! I'm just really into that kind of thing, and I can't wait to find out more about it!
Ok, so I just found out, again, that their is a really lousy version of Beowulf, and some other people are just trying to remake it. sorry :bang:

I hope they do it right. I loved the story but thats still no gaurantee that its gonna be a good movie.

But heres hopin :).
greyscale42

Return to General Entertainment