The Question of God

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

The Question of God

Postby Omega Amen » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:03 pm

I rarely watch television programming that is not anime, news shows, and sporting events.

However, I must say I am hoping that my busy schedule will calm down this wednesday and next wednesday for this program.

The PBS program The Question of God is inspired by the book Dr. Armand Nicholi wrote, which dealt with the material he teaches in a popular course at Harvard University. Here is the link to the PBS website and here is the link to the program information. It will broadcast on September 15th and 22nd at 9 p.m. (unless your local listings say otherwise).

I have never had the chance to read Nicholi's book which examines the lives of two influential figures of the twentieth century. One is an atheist, Sigmund Freud, and the other is a Christian, C.S. Lewis. However, for those who have read the book, I still think you might get something out of the program considering that Dr. Nicholi will lead a panel discussion that has an atheist, an agnostic, Christians, and people who are not Christians (from what I can tell) but believe there is some type of god.

From the video clips on the website, the panel discussion seems thoughtful, and there was no real bashing on either side. The dramatizations of Freud's and Lewis's life seem well done. Personally, I am more interested in Freud's views and life were like considering I never took a course in psychology and that I am fairly aware of Lewis's writings and life.

Also, it seems like the program focuses on the personal motivations and reasons behind one's belief/disbelief in the existence of God instead of theological reasons. Therefore, I am hopeful some discussion of this program can take place here since I am betting that quite a few people here will be interested in seeing it.

However, if this becomes a theological debate, I will ask the staff to close this thread, if necessary. But, considering the focus of the program, I doubt that should happen.

On a different note, in my life, from meeting with many different people, I can say that this following statement from the program is true.

"How each of us understands the meaning of life comes down to how we answer one ultimate question: Does God really exist?"
Find me on Steam, PlayStation Network (OmegaAmen), Backloggery, Twitter, and Twitch.tv

I am also in the Christian gaming group, Tribe of Judah in the Christian Gamers Alliance.
Omega Amen

Postby shooraijin » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:57 am

As long as this remains a discussion of the program and doesn't mutate off the mark, have fun. ^^
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:02 am

ooh, sounds interesting. now that we have a rabbit ears I can watch it! hehe. so if I remember, I think I'll be tuning in.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Fsiphskilm » Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:10 am

I LOVE watchi
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Kat Walker » Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:00 pm

This does indeed sound very interesting. Does the panel debate and offer rebuttals, or is it more of a reflective discussion on each respective side? I've taken basic psychology and read parts of Freud's work on the side, but not much of his philosophical essays. I've unfortunately never got around to reading anything of C.S. Lewis', although I'd most certainly want to.

Either way, both men are fascinating enough in and of themselves, and this program should prove interesting if not enlightening. I'll do my best to catch it on PBS.
Beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity.

Colossians 3:14

~ my personal website ~
Kat Walker

Postby Omega Amen » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:55 pm

Kat Walker wrote:Does the panel debate and offer rebuttals, or is it more of a reflective discussion on each respective side?
I would say it is more of a reflective discussion, but there are some points that are debated, though it is not particular intense. If anything, they are being very honest to each other.

For example, Dr. Nicholi asked about the subject of fathers as authority figures and their influence one's belief/disbelief in God. He would touch on Freud's opinion that the Heavenly Father is really an idealized father figure created by man, and he also asked the panel how did their relationship with their father affect their view of God and His existence.

So it is a little mingled. Of course, that direction makes sense to me since the program is alternating between dramatizations of events in Freud's and Lewis's lives and panel discussions on subjects relevant to the question of God.
Find me on Steam, PlayStation Network (OmegaAmen), Backloggery, Twitter, and Twitch.tv

I am also in the Christian gaming group, Tribe of Judah in the Christian Gamers Alliance.
Omega Amen

Return to General Entertainment