I Hate Lotr!!!!!!!!!

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

I Hate Lotr!!!!!!!!!

Postby Solid Ronin » Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:29 pm

I am sooo sick of this movie. I know there must be others how feel this way. I mean i still think its a good movie but only the first time around..man soo overrated
Solid Ronin

Postby true_noir_chloe » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:34 pm

*throws a kevlar vest and a helmet to Ronin* This may not be the place to say this. LOL

I'm not a big fan of LOTR, either. *runs away*

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby Lightbringer » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:45 pm

I agree, after i watched the movie the first time, i was like, hey that was a good movie, but i had no desire to see it again till it came out on dvd. I saw that as well. Now i dont want to see it again till i buy a trilogy boxset. after that..... who knows how long it will be. I had to watch the movies more times then i cared to . I wish i hadn't but it happened. They were awsome in the theater, but second time through (snore) just not worth it. Though watching a movie like that with someone who hasn't seen it before does make it slightly more bareable.
Lightbringer // Aaron

Image Image
Join up! Darklight-The Chronicles of Tairis epic RPG
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=5233
Lightbringer

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:47 pm

.______. I love LOTR...I can watch them over and over. recently I had a marathon XD I almost made it through all three in one day...
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:38 am

Hmm... I love LOTR but they are very long... To watch all the extended versions would take like 30 hours... I'll likely do it at least once a year, though... Maybe over Christmas or something, with my kids... If I ever have any, I mean.

They aren't really overrated... They are excelent movies. Probably the best adaptations ever made. While that doesn't offer hope for purists, as movies they are great. A lot of emotion, a lot of innovations... Technically, storywise, and most of the acting was all great. They are great movies.

Still, I know some people that wouldn't watch ANY movie more than once. Then there are some, like me, who could watch their favorite movies 15 or 20 times...

I have watched "A Goofie Movie" about 10 times, Jurassic Park about 20 times, all of the disney cartoons from little mermaid to Lion King about 20 times a piece, and I've even played certain games about 5-10 times... I have played through Secret of Mana 5 times, I've beaten Super Mario World about 10 times, I played through every character on Ergheiz, I played Final Fantasy X through twice and am working on my third, not to mention watching the tapes... I have watched the end sequence separately about 10 times, and I've watched "To End All Wars" about 4 times now, not counting how many times I watched the opening, and the part where Yanker gets tied to the hill... Then there is Nadesico, which I have watched through about 3 or 4 times..., and the first 3 eps which I watched about 30 times... The episodes on DVDs 3-5 which I watched about 15 times (that was before I got them for myself, my friend didn't have the last DVD) The last 3 eps of Sailormoon classic I watched about 20 times, some parts more ("Mamochaaaan!") Man...

If you don't want to watch it again, that's your choice, but I will be... Especially since I havent' even seen the extended "Return of the King" yet...

It is all about taste... Ok, I know that joke is getting old... I need to do something new...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby PumpkinKoRn52 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:20 am

I watch the whole movie maybe once a year. I usually just skip around to the battle scenes.
"Relax, turn around, and take my hand." Tool
"Heir Kommt Die Sonne." Rammestein
"Now the world is gone, I'm just one. Oh please God help me." Metallica
"Are You Ready?!?" KoRn
"All and all your just another brick in the wall." Pink Floyd.
The downfall of society will be society itself.
Rap is the malignant tumor of the music industry.
I HATE LINKIN PARK
PumpkinKoRn52

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:25 am

I never really understood why you'd see a movie over and over. But I did think Lord of the Rings (all three movies) were worth seeing in theaters and then once more, several months later. They have plenty of very good points.
uc pseudonym

Postby PumpkinKoRn52 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:27 am

Yeah, but I mainly liked the battle scenes. If you want a good movie full of plot, go read the books. There a ton better, with the excception of the battle scenes.
"Relax, turn around, and take my hand." Tool
"Heir Kommt Die Sonne." Rammestein
"Now the world is gone, I'm just one. Oh please God help me." Metallica
"Are You Ready?!?" KoRn
"All and all your just another brick in the wall." Pink Floyd.
The downfall of society will be society itself.
Rap is the malignant tumor of the music industry.
I HATE LINKIN PARK
PumpkinKoRn52

Postby Lehn » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:42 am

My Brother's Ex-Girlfriend on IM talking about the Return of the King wrote:"Ohmygosh! I looooooooooved it. When is the next one coming out???????"

I've only made it through the movies in their entirety once]want[/I] to see. :lol: I once tried to brave through the cast commentary on FotR, that was even worse. I ended up just fast forwarding it to where Wood and the others talk about Tig-Tog and turning it off.

Pumpkin wrote:There a ton better, with the excception of the battle scenes.

;_; I had a horrible time getting through Helm's Deep in TTT. I ended up drawing out the landscape on paper just so I could understand it better.
Lehn

Postby KBMaster » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:12 am

I can't stand the movies anymore either. My little brother will watch TTT over and over and over and over...... and them move on to return of the king!!!!!!!! He hasn't watched the first one over and over cause he doesn't like it as much. I'll take the books anyday.
KBMaster

Postby PrincessZelda » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:22 am

*Crys*
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

PrincessZelda

Postby olorc » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:31 am

Man, I love LOTR, mainly because they bring to film almost everything I envision when I think about a fantasy book coming to life. I don't watch them non stop but I have definatly seen the first two extended about 4 times and plan on buying the 3rd extended one when it comes out.
I like the books more, and would agree with anyone who said that reading the books more than twice is sorta a waste of time just because it takes sooo long. Anyway, that's my take, LotR ALL THE WAY!! I can see how you may get sick of the movies though, I just don't.
Run the race so as not to be disqualified from the prize.
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
olorc

Postby sunet » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:36 am

i love lord of the rings, but it's getting kinda boring. i guess i've watched them too many times...
sunet

Postby Savior_Sora » Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:30 am

I love it!!! I'm into the medieval stuff like swords and shields and bow and arrows and stuff. Main reason why I like FF so much. The story is very powerful. I mean I look at it this way...a RING is creating all the destruction in the world...a RING!!!!
-"How do we prove we exist...maybe we don't exist."

-"I feel sorry for the dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac...they stay up all night wondering if there is a dog."

-"It's not the fall that kills you...It's the sudden stop at the end."

Savior_Sora

Postby Ssjjvash » Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:40 am

I got kina bored during the 2nd LOTR, but I don't exactly hate it, yet I'm not "big on it."

I like to watch spoofs on it though! LOL
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone
And so hold on when there is nothing left in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!' ...you'll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling

Satan, bite the dust!Image

"You are not who your mistakes say you are; you are not the sum of your failures!"---Rev. Billy Miller

Proverbs 18:24
Ssjjvash

Postby PrincessZelda » Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:45 am

I love LOTR. I've read the books and seen the movies... I personally like the books better.
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

PrincessZelda

Postby Solid Ronin » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:40 am

Savior_Sora wrote:I love it!!! I'm into the medieval stuff like swords and shields and bow and arrows and stuff. Main reason why I like FF so much. The story is very powerful. I mean I look at it this way...a RING is creating all the destruction in the world...a RING!!!!

I HATE midevil weaponary and armor maybe that has something to do with my not liking these movie /books.

Look at it this way. A kinght vs. a Samurai.. the fight will be over in one move which will result in the knight head flying through the airr.. Why?? cause it'll take him like three/four seconds to draw his sword (at best) as I'll take a samurai to draw his katana about one. (the draw also begin a slash)
Solid Ronin

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:19 pm

Wow.. This thread has so much whining in it. I did not expect this from CAA, that's for sure. I'm a little sickened by this, actually. Oh, and since it was brought up a few times, the dialogue in the books is far too stale to hold my interest for very long. I'm glad they fixed that a bit in the movies.

Basically, what I see is "My brother/sister/dog has been watching this a lot, so I hate it" or "People rave about this, so I hate it"

It's the same thing with all sorts of movies, TV shows, books... Some people are fanatical about their entertainment. I guess I am. And some people are turned off by that, particularly when it's your family or the other person understands it better. However, it seems there is something a bit off by this "they like it, so I hate it" routine... That's just my opinion on it.

As for watching somethign over and over, the reason I do it, can't speak for anyone else, is that I like hearing certain things and seeing certain things again, I like seeing and hearing NEW things I have missed every time previous, and I like memorizing and quoting (often ahead of time) my favorite lines. There are a lot of reasons to watch something over and over. If you're not someone who can do that, oh well.

BTW, Ronin, a good gunslinger can pull his gun as fast and have the samurai down in about 2 seconds... From a distance... I still like swords better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Bobtheduck

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:28 pm

*points to Bob's post* I agree with you.

if one thinks the movies were long and tedious...then I don't see how one could ever make it through the books XD seriously, I have to read those books out loud to absorb everything in them. and I still haven't picked up on everything. which is kinda cool in a way. I mean, they're just so complex it's mindboggling. I guess that's why I haven't tired of LOTR yet.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:10 pm

I took the thread as a chance to discuss what people did or did not like about the movies, and an opportunity to consider how much lasting and review value they had. Not whining.
uc pseudonym

Postby ZiP » Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:20 pm

I gotta agree with Ronin on this one,
The movies are good, but they aren't as good as people are making them out to be

One of ZiP's online friends wrote:LotR is the best thing since sliced bread

Honestly...
--To Write Love on Her Arms

"That time and absence proves - Rather helps than hurts to love."

"Feelings, emotions, they are good, but they cannot be Love's foundation. When of Love, these things last. When of romance, these things end."

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, it's what you are expected to give -- which is everything."
ZiP

Postby DrNic » Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:15 pm

I gotta admit, it was kooler when it was popular for the books. Then you know that the fans have put the effort in to read them. Watching a movie doesn't exactly need the greatest shread of intellegence to do. Also, it made loads of annoying little kids become fans of it. Nobody likes annoying little kids, not even annoying little kids.
Take me

Far from all that's wrong and...
Let these

Fears collapse inside

Take me

Back to when i...

Believed

Bloodless by Emery

Come visit the free state of Non-1000: Home of the Special Uber Elite (and try the burgers :P)

There's this dude named DrNic,
If you forget him, he'll get ticked! - By CobaltAngel

:grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin:
DrNic

Postby RoyalWing » Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:15 pm

Umm.. I am a bit confused about the posts in this thread, but I will try to do my best to post my opinion in the most respectfull manner possible! ^-^;

I don't like Lord of the Rings that much. I think it's o.k. And I like the action scenes. I think it's just because that type of fantasy, where it's all medieval and the names I can't pronounce no matter how hard I try, is not the type I really really like. But sometimes I couldn't help just to be bored with it. Some scenes were stretch out too long, which I think, made them just a bit sappy.. (_ _); I was especially disappointed with the third movie.

And yes, some of my friends really, really like it, but I don't mind. ^-^ That's their opinion about it.

Um... That's all...
RoyalWing

Postby Inferno » Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:08 pm

Umm ok this was random, i happen to be a huge fan of lotr. I think that was a little rough and uncalled for...... Well i'll be going now. *rans away at the speed of light*
"rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Philippians 4:4

METAL!!! :rock:

Member of headbangers united! \m/ >,< \m/

Myspace.com/cal3bsp3ncer
Inferno

Postby Link Antilles » Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:13 pm

The following opinion expressed in this post is clearly mine... :P

First and Foremost, I must say: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy is the most beautiful piece of cinematic work I've seen.

Heh, I've never truly been a big "knights and wizards" fantasy fan. Though, I'm a big fan of Zelda and Final Fantasy. They have... I guess you would say... more personality or style (to me), then things like Neverwinter Night and Morrowind. Sure, they were fun, but a little of the mundane natural.

Now, how I got into Lord of the Rings was interesting....

When it came time for the release of the first movie…. my knowledge of Tolken's little world of middle Earth stereotyped it a D&D spin off. So, I had not intention to see the movie, until my friends persuaded me. Naturally, I fell in love with the movie with only one complaint: "I can't remember anyone's name!".

So... of course it's was greatest movie since the classic Star Wars to me. Why? I never cared/knew about the books and I had very low expectations.

Afterwards... I tried the books...

Personally, the LotR books bore me more than summer reading. Just not really my style of writing and taste. My taste (book wise) is rather narrowed to Sci-fi and Tom Clancy.

Then came The Two Towers.... It was great and all, but it feels more like a bridge linking two freakin' awesome movies. Finally, Return of the King came... it just blow me out of the water.... most definitely exceeded my expectations.

Nowadays, I will say; yes, the movies are very long. Sadly, I have no time to sit down and watch them all.

The movies came pretty close to reaching cinematic perfection. An awesome blend of cast, real scenery, story, action, and effort… indeed, but still… like all movies… it's far from perfection. No matter how good a movie is, it's impossible to meet everyone's expectations.

Btw, Fellowship of the Ring is my favorite. :thumb:
Link Antilles

Postby panegryst » Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:25 pm

I liked the movies, but yes, they are way over-hyped. The books were better (my mother read them to me and did the voices, and it was FREAKING SWEET. mom gets mad cool points for her stellar gollum voice.)

major LOTR movie complaints: too long; too sappy; battle scenes actually got boring after the bajillionth 'will brave but few defenders be able to hold off thousands of ugly orcs!?' sequence; finally: too long. i realize there was a catch-22: make it too short, and you compromise a great story; make it too long and you bore my pants off with 'mischevious hobbit' jokes.

final LOTR verdict: would have been better with an extended Aragorn-Sauron-Legolas katana-and-shuriken ninja battle royale. (or they could have had Merry and Pippin just sort of, ya know, die ten minutes into the first movie. that would have vastly improved it)

put succinctly, LESS SHIRE, MORE SAURON
"Reason is the Devil's harlot."
-Martin Luther

I'll stand for nothing less
Or never stand again
-Chevelle, 'The Clincher'

Image Image
panegryst

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:33 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:I took the thread as a chance to discuss what people did or did not like about the movies, and an opportunity to consider how much lasting and review value they had. Not whining.

I wasn't specifically talking to you, nor did my entire statement apply to you, but in general. And I stand by my statement even if it is hard not to mix my points, language is rather imperfect, and I admit it was fueled by a lot of other similar complaints people have, but I still stand by it. There was a lot of whining here. It made me mildy nauseous.

People here have talked about the books, and have previously raved about other fantasy or science fantasy books, movies, and so forth, and let me start by saying this: Without the books in the first place, these wouldn't exist. The fantasy and science fantasy genres wouldn't exist without Tolkien. Plain and simple. He revived old mythology and worked to develop his own, of course, and proved it could be used as entertainment on a large scale. There would be no star wars without it. There would be no Final Fantasy, because there would be no Dungeons and Dragons, without it. This is guessing, but I'd say 75% of the anime out there wouldn't have existed without influence from tolkien or one of his "offspring" (like D&D) Though, of course, much of the early science fantasy is only science fantasy because they sucked at the science elements, and they were really trying to be sci-fi, so I'll give that a bit of an allowance.

As for the movies, they were really revolutionary... Many new techniques or combonations of techniques were created in these movies. Books that a great portion of our entertainment owes honor to were finally made into films, (and no one complains that some of these other movies were in movie form rather than book, even if their stories borrow from tolkien) In other words, it has received a lot of praise, that's because for most purposes, it deserves it.

THe primary complaint from Ronin, and a few others, is that "everyone" raves about it so much. The problem with that is, this actually deserves it for objective reasons. Now, I personally thought the acting in some scenes was bad. I thought some lines were horrible, but I love the great achievement that went into this... It is just plain incredible, and honestly anyone who isn't impressed by the amount of work that went into this just wasn't paying attention.

Now, if it isn't your style, I don't mind that. I have said as much for many other things. Even some things I just disagree with... However, no one can honestly deny what an influence and an achievement even the movie is.

Smaller points:

And while it doesn't require any intelligence to watch a movie, it doesn't require much more to read a book... Trust me, I've "read" many books that I never really payed attention to. The idea behind it is your statements are justified because it is "easier" to be a zombie with a movie, but most of the hardcore fans, the ones that people are complaining about, are thinking nearly as much if not equal to the hardcore fans of the books.

I am sure I'll find more things to respond to, but this is enough for now. I stand by everything I said.
Bobtheduck

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:56 pm

Bobtheduck wrote:I wasn't specifically talking to you, nor did my entire statement apply to you, but in general. And I stand by my statement even if it is hard not to mix my points, language is rather imperfect, and I admit it was fueled by a lot of other similar complaints people have, but I still stand by it. There was a lot of whining here. It made me mildy nauseous.

The same; that is, I wasn't specifically talking to you, nor did I mean it to apply to you. I was merely stating that while the thread offers chances for whining, it can be used for many legitimate purposes. There is a place here for intelligent discussion of points (such as, I dare say, the remainder of your post).
uc pseudonym

Postby SwordSkill » Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:39 pm

I can't remember how many times I've seen FOTR and TTT. The first ones were in the cinema, of course, then the extended editions, then the cast commentaries, and those being shown in cable...I think I've lost count and I've still never gotten tired of it. And I'm still waiting for the extended edition of ROTK and it being shown on cable.

But then, that might be because I had already been a bit of a die-hard fan of the Lord of the Rings books before the movies even came out, so overall it's been a fantastic experience for me (except for certain deviations Peter Jackson made in the film from the books *twitches* but he does have to follow the canons of film art, so I won't blame him. Besides, that one would deserve a thread of its own).

Um, okay...what I've written above has mostly been very personal opinion, so to make my post not a complete waste :lol:, I'll just insert the "theory" bit that I had once posted in a Tolkien board of which I'm a member. It's kind of the tip of my "why-I-love-LOTR" iceberg, and here I'm talking specifically of the books (since someone mentioned them in this thread and it's very difficult for me to pass up chances to talk about the books)...

[start spiel]

As far as narrative style is concerned, I can't say it's initially very appealing. No subtleties when it comes to plot construction, everything's straightforward and comes in chunks, not to mention a difficult readability that seems uncalled for. It reads a lot like a history textbook more than anything else, let alone a novel. And yet maybe that's the point. Maybe Tolkien was going for the journalistic effect as a device to make what he was writing even more genuine. Instead of thinking that he was writing a work of fiction, he must have thought himself more of recording something that truly happened, hence the factual and detached construction of the novel in the part of the author...exactly like a newspaper. No manipulations, no opinions or commentaries; it gives you merely the events in the most no-nonsense (and admittedly boring) way. But it's an intriguing invention at the same time...journalistic fantasy. To state the unreal as realistically as possible.

Anyway, that can be debated endlessly and so can the everlasting controversy of form vs content in literature, but I love LOTR primarily for its content (besides, I'm not very good in appreciating forms too well). It never fails to amaze me how extensive and defined are the societies and cultures Tolkien had managed to create. True, he based the races on certain ancient cultures, but still, consider the range of what he had accomplished! It's like creating his own World and writing a history for it that can arguably be as old and as rich as ours, with its own share of conflicting races, their full range of emotions, their evolution, and their eventual interconnectedness. Furthermore, there is a richness in the work as a whole so much so that people often find it difficult to pinpoint exactly WHAT Tolkien was implying in his work. You could do a Marxist reading of it, or an environmentalist one, a feminist one, a historical one, a moralistic one, a theistic one, a linguistic one, and...well, I'm don't how many approaches there still are, and that's precisely because the depth of the story can provide so much simultaneously.

Come to think of it, I don't admire the work as much as I admire the capacity of Tolkien's brain to be so far-reaching. I mean, really, how much could one person absorb such a gigantic extent of human psyche and history and encapsulate them into a work of fiction, set in a world that seems so different yet so similar to ours? It's incredible.

[end spiel]

Oh yes, btw, I originally made that post in the other board with the full assumption that the people who were reading it had read Tolkien's The Silmarillion (which accounts for the histories of the different races of Middle-earth) as well.

//gets off soap box//
*Insert witty saying here*
SwordSkill

Postby Lobo » Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:06 pm

i personally i am a huge lotr fan. that being said i think the lotr movies are some of the best movies of our time (next to the last samurai and saving privite ryan and some other movies)
"Yes, but no sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find, I shall KILL you!" - Stewie: Family Guy

Fortune Cookie: You will die a painfull death in 10 seconds.
Your lucky #s: 10, 9, 8, 7....

This tank alone weighs 19 tons, that's like maybe...4 or 5 X-Box's?---Adam Sessler/X-Play
Lobo

Location: i would put something funny here but all the good ones are taken

Next

Return to General Entertainment