Alien Vs. Predator

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Alien Vs. Predator

Postby PumpkinKoRn52 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:34 pm

Alien vs. Predator is the coolest movie of the year! I just saw it and it's awesome! Way too cool. Right now I'm blinded by the awesomeness to point out it's flaws(if there are any), but I'll give my view of the movie.

The plot of this movie is: A major company detects an abnormal heat surge in Antartica that shows a pyramid hidden beneath the ice. The company sends out a team to investigate the pyramid. The team gets there and expects to drill a huge hole in the ice in order to reach the pyramid. Instead, the find a hole already bore into the ice. Most of team goes down and starts searching while the other team stays on top to keep base camp. The team going down finds remnants of the first three major civilizations all going together to make the pryamid. The team continues searching through until they trigger a reaction that causes the pryamid to start changing through ancient mechanisms. The team finds out things about both species which is the main story so I wont tell you it. ........................................NO SPOILERS...................................................
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now for the criticism and praise. The graphics in this movie are incredible. The CGI guy probably drove himself mad doing this. They spared no expense. The plot could be a little lacking, but you kinda forget about that when a predator slams an alien into a wall. The fight seens are awesome, and the only complaint is that there is too little for my taste. (5, I think, but I like it for a whole movie.) There isn't much blood or gore, unfortunatly, but that's good for people who can't take it. There is probably four or five vulgar words in the whole movie so that's cool too.

Anyway, I would highly reccomend going to see this movie. There is a guest appearance of Bishop, the android from the second alien movie. Not really an appearance because he is a huge character. Go see the movie. It's awesome! Now!
"Relax, turn around, and take my hand." Tool
"Heir Kommt Die Sonne." Rammestein
"Now the world is gone, I'm just one. Oh please God help me." Metallica
"Are You Ready?!?" KoRn
"All and all your just another brick in the wall." Pink Floyd.
The downfall of society will be society itself.
Rap is the malignant tumor of the music industry.
I HATE LINKIN PARK
PumpkinKoRn52

Postby cbwing0 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:10 pm

I saw Alien vs. Predator on saturday, and I enjoyed it. I wouldn't say it is the best movie of the year by any means (Spider Man 2, Shrek 2, Troy, King Arthur, and Dawn of the Dead beat it easily), but it was a good action movie.

One thing that annoyed me most about the movie was the cast (other than the monsters, who were excellent :lol: ). In addition to being forgettable, they found it necessary to throw in as many gender/race/nationality variations as they could. They have characters from America (including an stereotypical cowboy texan), Italy, Ireland, Britain, and probably a few other places that don't get a chance to speak. Without going into too many details, I will say that the main human protagonist is the ultimate unbelievable personification of this trend.

Naturally I was rooting for the Predators, which added another level of annoyance to the movie. The predators in this movie are nowhere near as smart or letal as the ones in the first two Predator movies. In fact 2 out of 3 are complete morons, rather than the products of a technologically advanced warrior race.

Still, as far as action/horror/comedies go, you can't do much better than Alien vs. Predator (at least until Resident Evil: Apocalypse is released next month ;) ).

One last thing: there is a new preview for Resident Evil: Apocalypse that runs with AvP, which is longer than the new one on television. Needless to say, it looks awesome, and it is a nice bonus for the feature presentation :thumb: .
cbwing0

Postby fayefaye » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:43 pm

I went and saw Alien vs. predator yesterday.I liked it a lot.I liked the cast.The main girl was really good to me.She didn't try to hard to act or be scared.The rest of the cast didn't bother me because they also didn't try to hard either.People tend to overdue things in action movies.As for Alien and Predator,I was also voting for predator :rock: (mostly for the humans though) :thumb: I seriously thought I wouldn't like it.If you go in just to enjoy a simple action movie you'll enjoy it.I give it a HOT vote. :thumbsup:
fayefaye

Postby Stephen » Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:09 pm

Loved it, most horror movie boards are bashing it...but I really enjoyed the film from top to bottom.
Stephen

Postby Fsiphskilm » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:13 am

[b][u]-Only
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:46 am

They dumbed down the predators? That's just stupid... I am rooting for the predators, too...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby CephasWhite » Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:14 pm

It is funny, my father said when he was younger, he saw all the Alien movies and the Predator movies. Too him, the Alien movies were sort of, "nyah...so so" but Predator scared him a lot. I find it kind of neat that Arnold Schwarttsenagar (I have no idea how to spell his last name) was in the first Predator. I might go see it, after I see the first four Alien movies and Predator movies first, or maybe after, I do not know.
Two Steps From Hell - Tristan <--(click)
†††††††††††††
We have been here long enough to know
That we are all brothers and sisters in Christ,
So if you are in need of help,
We shall give you His advice.

May God add his blessings upon you,
That you will live this day and forever,
And when He comes to the earth again,
We will all go together...

Into Heaven for Eternity...

[SIZE="5"][color="Green"]M[/color][color="Red"]E[/color][color="Green"]R[/color][color="Red"]R[/color][color="Green"]Y[/color] [color="Red"]C[/color][color="Green"]H[/color][color="Red"]R[/color][color="Green"]I[/color][color="Red"]S[/color][color="Green"]T[/color][color="Red"]M[/color][color="Green"]A[/color][color="Red"]S[/color][color="Green"]![/color][color="Red"]![/color][color="Green"]![/color][/SIZE]
CephasWhite

Postby Renoa » Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:02 pm

There'a a guy in my class who talks in Arnold Schwarzenegger's voice and says...

"I'm Arnold, I was in Predator!"

The he takes his hands and put them infront of his mouth and makes crude alien-like noises.....I haven't seen it....But it's seems some people think it's worth obssessing over...>_>...<_<...

Honk if your know where Grobania is!!
Renoa

Postby Yojimbo » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:31 pm

Aliens never really scared me too much nor did the Predator movies. I always considered them more action flicks than horror. Well I don't know if I'll see this one I don't have much time now.
"You can't sit on the fence when it comes to Jesus, Satan owns the fence." Mark Cahill

2-151 D Co. Infantry (Air Assault)
Yojimbo

Postby Stephen » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:03 pm

"Naturally I was rooting for the Predators, which added another level of annoyance to the movie. The predators in this movie are nowhere near as smart or letal as the ones in the first two Predator movies. In fact 2 out of 3 are complete morons, rather than the products of a technologically advanced warrior race."

Clearly you missed the fact that [spoiler]it was more of a training thing...(this is not really a spoiler so don't worry) The Predators were "dumbed" down because they were still rookies...not full fledged tryed warriors yet. Simply newbs getting there initiation.[/spoiler]
Stephen

Postby Zedian » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:30 pm

I was a little turned off since it was rated PG-13, not that I condone violence...still both franchises were built around science fiction/horror themes. Ah well, I might still check it out though I know the critics have been really hard on it.

But why must the predators be absolute morons...gah.
Zedian

Postby Archan » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:02 pm

*Laughs*
I myself haven't seen the movie, but I know alot of the plot and did alot of homework on this movie. Personally I was expecting it to be ALOT worse, I'm not the biggest fan of the director, in fact i detest him. but anyways, it looked better then my lowered expectations.

From what I understand though, the reason why 2 out of 3 predators weren't the experienced killers everyone has come to remember, was exactly that, they weren't experienced. From what I read, they are suppose to be adolencents, going through a rite of passage into Predator manhood so to speak. I think the only experienced predator is suppose to be Cracked Tusk.

Anyways, like I said I haven't seen it, but plan to very soon. I'll post back when I do. Just for record though I'm always rooting for the nastier of the species, the aliens....

Hiss Hiss folks ;)

God Bless,
Archan
1 Peter 5:10 "But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you."
Archan

Location: Hold on, "Baratta Klaatu Nikto" Now Currently fighting evil, saving puppies, that sort of

Postby Psycho Ann » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:18 am

I need to see it as well, being a die-hard fan of both francises. Though I had wished that of all directors it wasn't HE that took it... but I'm excited to see AVP anyway. And yeah, I'm rooting for Predie 100%! XD

And since this part part of the plot can be found in any summary of the movie... yeah, most of the Predators there might seem dumb because they are rookies. I heard things about twisting the Alien universe... and that might irk me a bit. Also about making the Aliens mindless ultimate prey. They're intelligent! That's why it takes a whole movie to kill them off! XD
-Psalm 27:1-
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.
Cognatio- Online Christian Manga Exchange

"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
Psycho Ann

Postby cbwing0 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:08 am

Pyscho Ann wrote:And since this part part of the plot can be found in any summary of the movie... yeah, most of the Predators there might seem dumb because they are rookies.
Shatterheart... wrote: Clearly you missed the fact that...
But still...

[spoiler]I would expect more out of them than dying 2 minutes after encountering the aliens. They acted the same as the humans, despite the fact that they should have been more skillful. If it was a rite of passage, the predators made a big mistake in thinking this bunch was ready for it.[/spoiler]

It seemed like they just did it to "even the odds," which I find to be contrived (and therefore annoying).
cbwing0

Postby Lightbringer » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:14 pm

I dont think anybody is giveing the Aliens credit, or their just overshooting what happened. When predators die, its cause they were ambushed or suprised. Easily recognisable rookie mistakes. The director did a great job on this movie, i dont know about his other movies but this one was great.

[spoiler] Besides evan though they are pretty beasty the predators still cant kill a Alien without the proper tools, why? cause they'll get melted duh.

Another thing, the Aliens are always considered the ultimate hunt by predators, its been that way since the books. They fight humans too who are obviously sentient and intelligent.......well not Jessy Vantura. The aliens did all kinds of smart things in the movie, such as the ambushing of Predators and then going and freeing the queen. [/spoiler]

All in all the movie lacked only 2 death scenes that bugged me. They were just too camera jumpy. I was perfectly happy with the pg-13 rateing.
Lightbringer // Aaron

Image Image
Join up! Darklight-The Chronicles of Tairis epic RPG
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=5233
Lightbringer

Postby PumpkinKoRn52 » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:10 pm

Fianlly, me and Shatterheart agree on something. Now that I have had time to reflect on the movie, I come up with one complaint. But I can't post it because It's kinda a spoiler. About how fast certain things went, like the etar htaed. (That's backwards, so don't read it if you don't want to know about the movie.) That's my only complaint.
"Are You Ready?!?" KoRn
I HATE LINKIN PARK
PumpkinKoRn52

Postby Stephen » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:13 pm

*laughs* good man Pumpkinkorn. As far as your complaint goes...we are just dumb humans after all. We lack the coolness that Aliens and Predators have.
Stephen

Postby PumpkinKoRn52 » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:21 pm

True. But I wanted Marine vs. Predator Vs. Alien vs. Terminator vs. zombie action, with Arnold And Danny Glover and Ellen Ripply. Just kiddin about the terminators and zombies, but now that I think about it, that would be cool.
"Are You Ready?!?" KoRn
I HATE LINKIN PARK
PumpkinKoRn52

Postby Orange Kitten » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:41 am

Well here's my take, it will all be in spoiler text. For the people who haven't seen it, I'll say it was good, but not great. It has stuff for the fans, but then has stuff that'll make a fan cringe.
Now for the people who have seen it:
[spoiler]
I went in expecting ultimate crap cause I know what this director has done before, and I know what Hollywood likes to do to popular series to make money.
There was absolutely no character development or story, however, there is only so much you can do with the basic plotline of Aliens vs Predetor. So that didn't effect me much. But I did find it funny that they TRIED to actually make us sympathetic to the girl with her one minute monologue about her father dieing. That was a little pathetic.
The story itself didn't need any complexity at all, and the way they explained it with the quick flashbacks I thought were great. Although, I'd have prefered that they showed more of the flashbacks and more "ancient" fight scenes.

The first thing I found that I disliked was how fast the aliens grew and bursted out of the first girl. I mean, the alien bursted out of her while the face huggers were STILL on the others! Way too fast. And the movie contradicted itself with how long it took for the alien to come out of the predator at the end. Where it took 2 minutes to burst out of the humans, it took 40 minutes to burst out of the predator.
Also, I don't believe they are going to use that as a means to make a sequel. If they do make a sequel, it'll be just another AvP movie, and not based on the ending of this film.

The second thing I disliked was the movements of the Queen. She moved like a T-Rex than anything else.

And what was up with how fast the "elevator" shot up the hole to escape the bomb?
The slow motion of the face hugger in mid-air is soooo trendy these days. Haven't we seen enough of this garbage? And as if seeing the 2 last surviving characters running away from a bomb was new. Total Hollywood garbage.

I liked the first fight scene between the aliens and predators, that was sweet.
And I thought it was clever in a way how the humans screwed it up for the predators.
As some have already said about the young predators being unexperienced, don't forget that they didn't even have their shoulder cannons yet. Their first priority was to get them from the darn humans who shouldn't have taken them. So while being distracted by that, the aliens took that opportunity. I think that was a good way of killing off the 2 predators rather than having them just die from "being too weak."

It was hilarious how the guy from Ireland seemed to have the most character development by talking about his kids every 2 minutes, and then seeing the way he died. Although his death was appropriate for his character, and was hilarious/sad at the same time. HOWEVER, all the eggs opening at the same time would not have happened.

I was hoping for a better way for the queen to die than by drowning at the bottom of the ocean. Think of it: ALIEN - the alien died from being blown out of the air lock. ALIENS - The queen died the exact same way. ALIEN 3 - finally a different death, alien was blown apart and the queen burned up with Ripley in the giant furnace. ALIEN RESURRECTION - the alien was blown into space and got ripped apart at the same time.
And then the queens death in this film. They are all way too similar. Can't they think of better ways for the final alien to die? (Alien 3 was the exception)

Anyway, overall, good flick. Kept me entertained, but could have been better.

[/spoiler]
"Destroy all that which is evil, so that which is good may flourish" - The Boondock Saints

"Man creates dolls in his own image. If God exists, it's possible that we're all just dolls to him." - Evangelion (episode 22)

AMV.org Profile
Orange Kitten

Postby Psycho Ann » Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:21 pm

I'm seeing it in another hour today! Yay! I'm not going in with high hopes, just the excitement of seeing Predie in action after so long...
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.

Psycho Ann

Postby Gypsy » Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:19 pm

I noticed somthing that was sort of fun, if it really meant anything at all or it was just a quirky accident - during the first part of the movie, when Alexa was talking to Weyland in his office, Weyland was sitting at his desk playing with a pen. Then he did a slow-motion version of the android knife-between-the-stretched-fingers trick from Aliens.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Psycho Ann » Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:22 pm

Yeah, I saw that too ^^ A very nice easter egg. And as with everyone else, I agree there isn't enough of the alien vs predator itself :\ But it was a nice nonetheless, I was pretty much just drooling through the whole movie at the shiny and dangerous weapons. ("MAN, I want one of those...")

[spoiler]The Alexa and Predator scenes made me roll my eyes... from there on it just got corny and dare I say 'waffy' (warm and fuzzy feelings)? As much as you can go in a alien massacre movie anyway. Ugh... though I would kill to be Alexa in the end just for the retractable spear. :D~~~)[/spoiler]

Psycho Ann

Postby Splintered » Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:02 pm

It was... decent.

The characters were cookie cutters of the typical heroes, some parts were cheesy and badly done, and the ending sort of makes me go, "huh?"

But it wasn't as bad as I expected. It was a fun movie too watch, lots of cool Predator weapons.

<3 Predators. Does that make me weird?
Splintered

Postby Psycho Ann » Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:02 pm

Hey, I call a Predator 'Predie'. I think that makes me weirder (and nerdier) than you ^^; They rock.

Psycho Ann

Postby PumpkinKoRn52 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:02 pm

AVP rules. If you do not like, you must not like any action movies, and your opinion has just been deemed worthless.

Just kiddin. I still don't understand y anyone wouldn't like Alien killin predator action.
"Are You Ready?!?" KoRn
I HATE LINKIN PARK
PumpkinKoRn52

Postby panegryst » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:37 pm

I've seen every Alien movie (Alien 2 like 5 times) and the first two thirds of Predator. verdict: Marines > Aliens > Danny Glover. i wanna see this movie 'cause Aliens are just too cool. I expect the plot to be crap. I am prepared for cheesy cliches. I just want to see more aliens.

fans of this movie: somebody with too much time on their hands made a short Batman/Alien/Predator crossover movie called Batman: Dead End. D/L it and witness Batman VS Joker VS Alien VS Predator VS bad special effects VS worse acting.
"Reason is the Devil's harlot."
-Martin Luther

I'll stand for nothing less
Or never stand again
-Chevelle, 'The Clincher'

Image Image
panegryst

Postby Kinkosami » Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:00 pm

I saw this movie a while ago, and I liked it. I went with my parents,(they dragged me along) and I was expecting total crap. The movie looked really stupid to me, but I ended up really liking it.

Of course it could have been better, is there ever a movie where your totally happy with everything in it? There were tons of things I would have fixed, but everyone has pretty much said them all.

So I'll just recommend the movie! Go see it, anything with Predator in it is worth seeing. :cool:
*~My Signature Image~*
Look at it, you'll be glad you did!

[Minitokyo][FanFiction]

~CLICK HERE~
Kinkosami

Postby Archan » Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:54 pm

Alright, alright, I finally saw the movie.

Wow, do I have mixed feelings right now, I mean BIG mixed feelings. the first half of the movie was GREAT, though my favorite predator died wwwwaaaaaayyyyyyyy to early for me (I don't think the fact that a predator dies is too much of a spoiler by this point :sweat: )

I do agree that the warrior buddy buddy relationship thing was a tad too.........cheesy to say the least. If they were gonna pull what they did with the lead girl (Yeah, I didn't care enough about her to even learn her name.....how sad) they should have just used the original character from the comic and novels.

Still, this movie still proves Anderson still can't stay true to an existing movie franchise storyline. First RE and now AVP.......*rubbs temple of head* I'm getting sick people trying to reinvent stuff....blah.

On the other hand, the CG animated Queen rocked my world, if they did what they did with the queen in Resurection instead of the stupid pink fuzzy alien thingy, that movie would have made so much more money and would have been soooooooo much better.

Effects wise, the Aliens were great, the Predator design wasn't. Stan Winstons original design was soooooo much better. The Predators in this movie (When their masks were off) looked more like a B-Rate movie flick, and the Predator looked like he had a lower lip infection of some type. they shold have just kept their masks on the whole time and I would have been happy.

There are other things, one BIG thing in particular, but I'll post later.

Point being, this film was a good Popcorn flick, it could have been SOOOOOOO much better, but the CG Queen was enough to keep me happy. (Yeah, she really did save teh movie for me)

Still wanna go lock up Anderson in a vault though, who keeps giving him all the good franchises and story concepts to ruin, who? WHO?????

I'm done, and like I said before, Hiss hiss folks :sweat:
God Bless,
Archan
1 Peter 5:10 "But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you."
Archan

Location: Hold on, "Baratta Klaatu Nikto" Now Currently fighting evil, saving puppies, that sort of

Postby Lightbringer » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:29 am

1. a comment about how the queen moves..... she's always moved that way. Their was nothing different.

2. From the book standpoint, every species is different when infected with alien embryos, includeing gestation periods.

3. Yeah, i thought their faces looked funny too. but i could survive.

4. I thought the bond was good, the charicter development was present, it came in the way she acted.

5. They all activated at once. Why wouldn't they? they always open when a person without one is detected. You think all the FHs would take a number ?

6. this movie wasn't a masterpiece, but it was really really cool. The one anomaly with the FHs was put in to show her shock. Also i believe that their was a time jump between infection and delivery that was cut out, that would have shown what was going on. Plus that person was probably already infected , it just hadn't dropped yet.

and 7. yes this was kept extreamly vague on perpose if you've seen the movie or been reading everything you'll know what im talking about and who im answering
Lightbringer // Aaron

Image Image
Join up! Darklight-The Chronicles of Tairis epic RPG
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=5233
Lightbringer

Postby Orange Kitten » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:50 am

Lightbringer wrote: 1. a comment about how the queen moves..... she's always moved that way. Their was nothing different.

4. I thought the bond was good, the charicter development was present, it came in the way she acted.

5. They all activated at once. Why wouldn't they? they always open when a person without one is detected. You think all the FHs would take a number ?

1. She still looked different to me. Probably because in Aliens, she was a puppet, whereas in this movie she was almost all CG.

4. Ok, but VERY LITTLE character developement. She was a static character at the most.

5. They've never activated at once...that just wouldn't make sense. Only the closest egg to the non-infected person would open up. If all opened up to ONE person, then all the extra facehuggers would go to waste and just die eventually. Only one opened up to Kane in Alien, and only one opened to Ripley at the end of Aliens before she roasted all of them with her flame thrower. Both times they were surrounded by hundreds of eggs.

panegryst wrote:
fans of this movie: somebody with too much time on their hands made a short Batman/Alien/Predator crossover movie called Batman: Dead End. D/L it and witness Batman VS Joker VS Alien VS Predator VS bad special effects VS worse acting.

Too much time on their hands? lol This was a college final at a film school, I'm going to guess USC. Notice how it was shot in film. They got the rights to use both the original Aliens and Predator soundtracks, with the rights to use the all 3 characters. This was a high budget short film. I wouldn't say bad special effects, they looked good to me. The acting was decent, not bad. The guy who played Batman is a professional body builder.
Awesome flick to any AVP fan]http://www.theforce.net/theater/shortfilms/batman_deadend/[/url]
"Destroy all that which is evil, so that which is good may flourish" - The Boondock Saints

"Man creates dolls in his own image. If God exists, it's possible that we're all just dolls to him." - Evangelion (episode 22)

AMV.org Profile
Orange Kitten

Next

Return to General Entertainment