What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Re: What Manga are you reading?

Postby GeneD » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:36 am

After catching up (it feels like 90% of my manga reading is this) with the currently publishing stuff I read, I've been putting due effort into finishing Pet Shop of Horrors, which hasn't actually had all that much proper horror in the last while. The last chapter I finished, Diet, had a nice creepy story though, which was actually one of three story lines running in said chapter. It's still quite funny and entertaining and I'm still definitely enjoying it.
GeneD

Postby ClaecElric4God » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:01 am

I loved the Ouran anime, and I can't believe that it didn't occur to me till just now to read the manga. I shall go do that now.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby faithb4sight » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:44 am

ClaecElric4God

The anime is so cute but the manga is ten-trillion times more awesome :) You really get a feel for the characters!!!
Image On the summit - even in the valley... God is good. I praise Him for all of everything.
"Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost." Rom. 15:13
faithb4sight

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:42 pm

I agree with Faith-san. The manga goes a lot further and it's so good! In fact, I think there's like 18 volumes.
'What one does not understand one fears. What one fears, one destroys.' -Native American Indian Proverb
"Man: What surprises you most about mankind? God: That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live in neither the present nor the future. That they live as though they will never die and die as though they never lived."
"God expects spiritual fruit not religious nuts."

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:52 pm

Currently giving Beast Master a shot (A certain someone told me to :3).
But, really...this manga is hilarious and I love the facial expressions <3
go buy yourself a chocolate bar for making me read this Claec, you deserve it XD;;
"People need fear, we experience it so we can grow stronger"-Maka Albarn
Panda4christ:3

Location: There are some things you should just keep to yourself

Postby GeneD » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:31 am

Caught up with Assassination Classroom, Silver Spoon and TWGOK and on the last volume of Pet Shop of Horrors. I don't want the series to end!
GeneD

Postby MangaRocks! » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:38 pm

Man, this was an epic group of chapters here! :jump:

Orange chapter 10: At long last, a new chapter! :dance: And oh man, all my feels. Not only at the manga's return, but also at this chapter's contents. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Here, it's revealed that Kakeru had actually attempted suicide more than once-- the first attempt spurred on by the insensitivity of an old 'friend' of his-- and as that day approaches and Suwa and Naho know they have to do something to help him before he gets overwhelmed, it's so tense. And then when they do succeed in talking with him about what he's going through in time... and Naho answers Kakeru's confession, too, and everyone's crying... oh my gosh I teared up. :sniffle: This manga is just so moving... :hug:

Pandora Hearts chapter 91: My face when I was reading this chapter: :wow!: :wow!: :wow!: ...Holy crap!! (And I mean that in a very good way, BTW! :thumb: ) SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Now that we're in the final arc, I hadn't really been expecting any more of the series' trademark epic, turning-everything-on-its-ear twists. :pikka: So, clearly, as much as I am in love with (and have been continually impressed by) this series, I was apparently underestimating it even now. (Mochizuki-sensei FTW! :jump: ) That meta story-within-a-story/Jury stuff was just... wow. :wow!: Also, the reveal about the true importance of 'children of misfortune' gave me goosebumps. And then Break was awesome (of course!), saying that no one should alter the past (which is especially powerful coming from him) and then throwing some piercing words Vincent's way, too. Oh, and Oz saving his sister at the end (like a boss!) was also awesome. And Leo's (consciousness') response to the whole Jury thing, too... <3 NEED NEXT CHAPTER NOW

And Spirit Circle chapter 21: Oh my gosh, this series is just so darn good. <3 SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Haha, the crying bit... :sniffle: :hug: How does this mangaka make his series so moving? It's genius. Also: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Ah, interesting-- so apparently there's a good reason that Rei hasn't shown up again... :pikka: Looking forward to the explanation why.
Last edited by MangaRocks! on Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Mullet Death » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:43 pm

Is anyone else reading Yamada-kun and the 7 Witches? Pretty funny little comic. Never watched the drama but wish it was an anime instead. On the current chapter now.

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby dragonzatch » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:24 pm

Mullet Death wrote:Is anyone else reading Yamada-kun and the 7 Witches? Pretty funny little comic. Never watched the drama but wish it was an anime instead. On the current chapter now.

I read the first couple of chapters but it got buried under my pile of manga I've got from the library. Currently trying to read Negima, GTO, Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei, Love Hina, and Attack on Titan from the library.
Don't you think that it's boring how people talk?

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/dragonzatch
dragonzatch

Postby KazeShiki » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:16 pm

Mullet Death wrote:Is anyone else reading Yamada-kun and the 7 Witches? Pretty funny little comic. Never watched the drama but wish it was an anime instead. On the current chapter now.

It was surprisingly decent. But the new arc is incredibly disappointing because it should've just ended after everything was wrapped up. As for anime, forever a tease: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_lTA57N3kI
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Postby GeneD » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:27 am

I finished Pet Shop of Horrors last week and am still missing it, despite having started Iris Zero in its place. I am really sad about the sequel series being so hard to get hold of.
GeneD

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:46 am

Well, I have read up to Chapter 42 of Pandora Hearts. Man, this is such a great series but I'll have to put it on hold for now due to getting bad tennis elbow when being on the internet for too long. -_- I'm also up to Volume 14 of Love.Com. I had started this series like three years ago when I found it at the library but they only had up to volume 10 there so I was never able to finish it. Now I see that they have the other seven volumes now and this is such a cute rom com! I love Risa and Otani! ^_^ I've also started Tsubasa while I'm still trying to finish up the anime. I didn't even think my library would have this series but they do and I'm already loving it even more than the anime! XD
'What one does not understand one fears. What one fears, one destroys.' -Native American Indian Proverb
"Man: What surprises you most about mankind? God: That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live in neither the present nor the future. That they live as though they will never die and die as though they never lived."

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby Mullet Death » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:36 pm

KazeShiki wrote:

It was surprisingly decent. But the new arc is incredibly disappointing because it should've just ended after everything was wrapped up. As for anime, forever a tease: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_lTA57N3kI

You think so? I can see that, but I don't mind the fact that it's continuing. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: It makes sense to me anyway that the ceremony would have ended up creating more witches, and I'm excited to see some more new powers. *Shrugs*

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby KazeShiki » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:33 pm

Mullet Death wrote:You think so? I can see that, but I don't mind the fact that it's continuing. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: It makes sense to me anyway that the ceremony would have ended up creating more witches, and I'm excited to see some more new powers. *Shrugs*

It's more that I'm just very cynical toward needlessly continuing a manga. I know it's a problem with the industry itself but too often good plots are ruined by drawn out stories. If it had ended, it would've been everything I could want as far as a straightforward story that ended exactly where the start implied it would with no real loose ends, something we rarely get. Continuing instead is just asking for something to go wrong.
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Postby scribbledreamer » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:46 pm

Just finished vol. 4 of Dengeki Daisy. Volume 5 isn't due at my library for another week. Good exercise in patience, I suppose. :P

And, because I love the anime and can not wait for a potential season 3, I started reading Chihayafuru today.
scribbledreamer

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:50 am

Silver Spoon chapter 96 - *facepalm* Hachiken never gets a break, does he? :lol:
the_wolfs_howl

Postby MangaRocks! » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:26 pm

Annarasumanara manhwa vol.'s 1-3 (complete): This was mesmerizing. I loved the somewhat-experimental art, which used different + symbolic styles of drawing, paper cutouts, and even some live-action images on occasion; I loved the characters (including that parrot, LOL :lol: ); and I loved its themes, too. That said, I do wish it would've had a little more closure with R than was hinted at the end; but overall it was an excellent read, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. (I just have one question for you beforehand: Do you believe in magic? :) )

And Immortal Rain vol.'s 1-11 (complete) + the (really cute! :grin: ) one-shots/omake/etc. from the two fanbooks + the 1-volume Touhou Shinigami: Meteor Methuselah Gaiden prequel: Oh my goodness, did I love this! :hug: Everything about this series (and the prequel, too!) was great-- the story, the characters, the humor, the drama, the romance, the action, all of it! Now, as for the plot: Immortal guy, 'assassin' girl, bounty hunters, living weapons, and the man who started it all (and wants to end it all, too)... seems simple enough, and in essence it is; but that's the beauty of it. Because it's the characters that carry this. Rain is hilarious, sweet, adorable, and awesome; Machika can kick butt against all but the very strongest opponents (and doesn't hesitate to do so when necessary), but at heart is a strong yet compassionate girl; and Yuca goes from being eminently hateable to being one of the most brilliantly sympathetic antagonists I've ever seen. <3 (And the other characters are pretty good, too, of course. :) ) And the finale... everything about that finale was absolutely beautiful. :sniffle: :hug: I can see why this is a classic-- and I can't believe I didn't read it sooner!

So (and yes, disclaimers start here): Aside from a brief discussion between two characters about their somewhat-misguided religious beliefs (basically, one who 'doesn't really understand,' and another who is atheistic out of bitterness), and a couple of panels of female nudity (which are not for fanservice, however), this is a definite recommendation. (Oh, and be sure to read the Shinigami prequel afterwards, too, because that was also excellent! :jump: )
Saved by grace.

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Kaori » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:41 pm

MangaRocks! wrote:Annarasumanara manhwa vol.'s 1-3 (complete)

And Immortal Rain vol.'s 1-11 (complete) + the (really cute! :grin: ) one-shots/omake/etc. from the two fanbooks + the 1-volume Touhou Shinigami: Meteor Methuselah Gaiden prequel

:thumb:

Ozaki Kaori's take on God is definitely interesting; seeing the spirituality in Immortal Rain and Kamisama ga Uso wo Tsuku, I get the sense that she is not merely using Christianity as a decorative (appealingly foreign) motif but that she herself seems to have some sort of interest in spirituality and God. Personally, I find Ys's prayer at the beginning of v. 10 truly moving.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:32 pm

^ BTW, I read those because of your recommendations to me. :) (Thank you very much!)

Kaori wrote:Ozaki Kaori's take on God is definitely interesting; seeing the spirituality in Immortal Rain and Kamisama ga Uso wo Tsuku, I get the sense that she is not merely using Christianity as a decorative (appealingly foreign) motif but that she herself seems to have some sort of interest in spirituality and God. Personally, I find Ys's prayer at the beginning of v. 10 truly moving.

Indeed.

I look forward to reading whatever she creates next, too! :)
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby GeneD » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:39 am

Yotsuba & reading a lot!

I've also added Iris Zero, Orange and Spirit Circle to the ongoing manga I follow and finished Dogs: Stray Dogs Howling in the dark.
GeneD

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:43 am

Currently, I'm up to vol 7 of Tsubasa and chapter 3 of Beast Master. I've also started Fuushigi Yuugi from my library on a whim. I like all of these so far. :)

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:12 pm

The Heroic Legend of Arslan chapters 5-7 - Arakawa-san never disappoints. This is really shaping up to be an epic tale! :grin:
the_wolfs_howl

Postby skreyola » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:02 pm

I finally picked up some new manga, so I'm reading Kare Kano and Aishiteruze, Baby!
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby MangaRocks! » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:23 pm

Karneval chapter 77: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: GAHHHHH, ALL THAT WAITING AND THAT WAS IT??!!! ...I mean, don't get me wrong, LOL, I adore this series; it's just that that was *really* short, and felt more like setup than anything. Although, the setup is still important, and when read in the midst of a volume or a chapter-marathon there'd be no problem at all. (One more reason to marathon certain things rather than read them monthly, I suppose... not like I'm going to start doing that here, though. :) ) Anyway, one thing I can comment on is that Gareki's more-mature attitude and the others' reactions to it was cute. :) I just hope Tsubame can hold out...

Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii chapter 15: The funny thing is, this chapter went exactly as I expected, but man was it good. :hug:

Taiyou no Ie chapter 40: Heh, this was cute. :hug:

Oresama Teacher volume 16: ...And speaking of cute, so was the first chapter of this. <3 :hug: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Aside from the hilarious comedy :grin: , I also really love the several little side-couples (Minato and Okubo in the 4-komas, Akki and Komari here now, etc.) that have been building up throughout this series. Also, I'm intrigued by the 'rules' Miyabi has apparently set up for himself, as well as his apparent double motives. Poor Yui, though-- hope they fix this and get him back soon...

Spirit Circle chapter 22: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: ...Okay, yeah, never mind about the nudity not really being fanservice, LOL. Can't really claim that anymore... :sweat: Still not really that big of a deal, though, IMO, in comparison to how downright fantastic this story is (it's pretty brief when it appears, and it certainly wouldn't stop me from recommending this series out regardless). Anyway, I'm quite liking how the main characters' reincarnations don't actually go in Earth-year time order (i.e., in a straight line from many-years-B.C. on forward)-- they zigzag around both backward and forward in time, yet they're all still the "current" characters' "past" lives. This allows for some really interesting settings, from the various historical eras already shown to sci-fi and beyond. In fact, this next particular past-life that is just getting started is an Earth-time 'future' one (and is indeed a sci-fi setting), and I'm already fascinated by it. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Also-- re: the explanation Fortuna gave about not seeing Rei again, it's quite interesting that he said the relationship with her is finished, and also that Fortuna didn't want to see Rei... there's definitely something up there. Looking forward to finding out what it is (at the proper time in the narrative, of course). :)

...And speaking of Mizukami-sensei's work :) , I also re-read The Lucifer And Biscuit Hammer, a.k.a. Hoshi no Samidare: Recommending this series in the other thread reminded me that my planned re-read of this series (one of my all-time favorites!) was long overdue, so I went ahead and remedied that right away. :thumb: And it was as excellent the second time around as it was the first. The emotional parts hit just as hard, and the development of all the characters-- from (in particular) the several who start off as self-{and other-}destructive, uncaring, and despairing, and over the course of the series grow into protective, caring, and hopeful people, to the ones who simply just learn or mature a little-- still impresses. *And* I even discovered a pretty darn huge (and pretty darn ingenius) connection between two characters that I hadn't caught the first time around SPOILER: Highlight text to read: (...and I won't actually spoil this, because it feels really cool to spot it on your own; but if you want a hint, I'll just say "500 years"). :thumb:
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby MangaRocks! » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:29 pm

*Double-posting because feels*

Pandora Hearts chapter 92: ......S-someone hold me... :sniffle: :sniffle: :?: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: ...Okay, first things first: Loved Reim being totally awesome (as usual :thumb: ), despite-- or, rather, in his case, because of-- the fact that he can't even fight. :) Now, as for the emotional stuff: Wow-- that bit with Oz and his father was surprisingly moving. :sniffle: And I love how Leo's starting to interfere with Oswald a bit now, and that Vincent got a little sense knocked/talked into him by both Leo and Break, too. ...And then came the chapter's crowning moment of heartbreak... Break's death. Now, the interesting thing about this particular character death is that it had been pretty darn clear from basically the very beginning of the series that Break wouldn't make it to the end, so-- while still vainly hoping that that somehow wouldn't be the case, of course, since he had become one of my top-favorite characters of this series-- I fully expected it; yet, still, his death here hit very, very hard. In fact, I was actually quite literally crying by the end of the chapter. :sniffle: :sniffle: :sniffle:

...*composes self*...

Rest in peace, Break. It was an honor. :sniffle:

Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby KazeShiki » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:39 pm

MangaRocks, I'm curious. Do you read Sengoku Youko? Also from Mizukami so I'd be surprised if you don't.
KazeShiki

Postby MangaRocks! » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:03 pm

^ Haven't started it yet, actually, but I'm aware of it and am definitely planning to do so quite soon! :thumb:
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby GeneD » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:51 am

MangaRocks! wrote:Spirit Circle chapter 22: Anyway, I'm quite liking how the main characters' reincarnations don't actually go in Earth-year time order (i.e., in a straight line from many-years-B.C. on forward)-- they zigzag around both backward and forward in time, yet they're all still the "current" characters' "past" lives. This allows for some really interesting settings, from the various historical eras already shown to sci-fi and beyond. In fact, this next particular past-life that is just getting started is an Earth-time 'future' one (and is indeed a sci-fi setting), and I'm already fascinated by it. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Also-- re: the explanation Fortuna gave about not seeing Rei again, it's quite interesting that he said the relationship with her is finished, and also that Fortuna didn't want to see Rei... there's definitely something up there. Looking forward to finding out what it is (at the proper time in the narrative, of course). :)

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I'm really interested in how they're going to explain the time period of the current life he's experiencing. I mean, if it's the actual future and Fuuta and Kouko's lives are still bound together, does that mean the in the current time he doesn't manage to change their fates?
GeneD

Postby MangaRocks! » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:06 am

GeneD wrote: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I'm really interested in how they're going to explain the time period of the current life he's experiencing. I mean, if it's the actual future and Fuuta and Kouko's lives are still bound together, does that mean the in the current time he doesn't manage to change their fates?

Well, that's what I'm saying, though; just because it's in the 'future' in linear Earth-time doesn't mean it's their 'future' lives-- it's still 'past' ones, as far as their souls are concerned. I don't know much about the various different theories of reincarnation (since I obviously don't believe in it for one, and never studied it or anything for another :) ), but I think I heard somewhere once that one theory allows for precisely this kind of thing-- where the successive lives being lived don't have to conform to linear Earth-time (and can even be alive in the same Earth-time simultaneously, to boot).

Also, Fuuta isn't trying to change anyone's souls' past; that's not possible (all he does when he 'drops' into each past life is, well, relive it, precisely as it was; nothing changes). He's trying to fix their relationship in the present. And even if it were their souls' future (which it isn't :) ), just because they're still bound together doesn't have to mean it's in a bad way SPOILER: Highlight text to read: (look at the group of friends that always manage to find each other again, etc.). As for the thing with Rei, the reason the relationship with her 'ended' had something to do with Fortuna, so we won't know what's up with that until that's explained. But, suffice it to say, even once Kouko's grudge is taken care of, there's no reason they shouldn't continue to have a relationship in their souls' present/future, as long as they want it. :)
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby Mouse2010 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:19 am

To my surprise, I've been reading more manga lately than anime. I guess manga is in some ways more convenient for a busy life style: I can keep a couple of volumes next to my bed and then read an episode or two just before going to sleep at the end of the day. But this plan backfired last Friday, when I decided to try reading Happy Marriage?! on my kindle. I started at 11 PM, and read the first volume . . . then wanted to see what happened next . . . then couldn't stop . . . and then it was 3 AM and I had read volumes 1-4. Now I've finished all that's been legally released so far (1-5) and the next volume doesn't come out until June. I should have paced myself more!

In the meantime, I think I'll finish Blackbird. I'm on the final arc so I'm more interested than I have been for awhile, although it's still not grabbing me the way the first few volumes did.
Mouse2010

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews