What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:21 am

KnightOfFive wrote:Bleach: Since the anime ended without adapting the final arc(which is still comming out). I'm glad to say that these opponents are far more dangerous than the previous series villains.

I do like that the very first thing they do (not counting the random guy that showed up earlier) is kill a named character. Lots of people dropping in the battle, too, though it looks like Kubo Tite backtracked on some of those apparent deaths. We can also assume that Division 0, Ishida, and the King will all play major roles.

It's not going to change my opinion about the series, but this is the best Bleach has been in years.
uc pseudonym

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:37 am

Silver Spoon chapters 58-59 - Nice to see Hachiken and Mikage's relationship developing a little further ;)
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby DecooPunk » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:58 pm

Kitchen Princess, they got the first book in my library, its pretty cute so far
DecooPunk

Postby SierraLea » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:38 pm

Just finished Bakuman 15. It was pretty boring to me, until the last page. I was rolling on the floor in no time! That's how happy I was! I LOVE THIS SERIES!
"I tell you, if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out." (Luke 19:37-40).
Exceptionally Ordinary
"No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else." P.T.Barnam
SierraLea

Postby Maokun » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:02 am

I have to agree that Bleach picked up in this latest (and last) arc. This is definitely where Kubo should have gone to after Aizen arc (maybe after a couple light-hearted mini-arcs) instead of that Fullbring debacle that no one could possibly care about.

I finished Mahou Sensei Negima! As promised it was a quite competent shounen, if the few slice-of-school-life arcs were rather painful. While I'm sufficiently satisfied with the ending, I think it's clear that the author was suffering a bit of fatigue after the huge years-spanning "magic world" arc and decided to wrap up the affair instead going to the places it was hinted it'd go (the last-boss epic battle happening off-camera? I'm unimpressed, but I can understand why the author didn't want to spend another couple of years on it.)

For some of our fellow CCAers' joy, I got started on Gintama. I cannot understand why I keep turning page after page of the stories of these ugly, selfish and odious people, specially since I don't like episodic manga that much but I'm somewhat hooked in because all the lols.

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby Atria35 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:36 am

Stargazing Dog v1 - This was a truly beautiful story about the love of a dog and the man who owned him. It starts from the end and flashes to the beginning, which makes the whole thing incredibly bittersweet. It also has an added story on the end about a guy trying to find out who they were and where they were going.

Very good story. Definitely worth the read.
Atria35

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:34 pm

D.Gray-man chapters 87-91
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby AnimeGirl » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:46 pm

Dream Saga, vol.3 - Ooh....this is getting more interesting and intense!! Finding out a little more about Takaomi. Now I just need to get my hand on volume 4 somehow!!!!
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby MangaRocks! » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:46 pm

Gin no Saji, a.k.a. Silver Spoon, chapter 59: "It's just background music..." :grin: :grin:

And Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun chapter 35: Haha, oh wow... SPOILER: Highlight text to read: ...none of the Sasayan/Natsume stuff went anything like I expected! It was great, though. :thumb: Especially that end. :jump: :grin:

Also: ROTFL-- the part with Yuuzan and Iyo was hilarious!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

And finally, interestingly enough, this chapter also gave a tiny bit more context to (though no details on) the Yoshida family situation, and why Shizuku doesn't know about it.

Can't wait for the next chapter! :)

EDIT: Also, the They Were Eleven one shot: Well, first off, I do have to note that this was originally published in the 70's, so the character designs may take some getting used to, LOL. (And the SPOILER: Highlight text to read: gender stuff was a little weird, too, actually; but it *is* a sci-fi story, with different alien physiologies and such to go along with it, so that did work in that context.) The suspense was great, though. I can see why it's a classic, and it was certainly worth the read.
Last edited by MangaRocks! on Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby SierraLea » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:09 pm

My current bookshelf is
Yu-Gi-Oh!, 1. I picked it up on a whim, and liked it a lot despite the kiddish drawing style. Pity my library doesn't carry the rest of the series.
One Piece 15. I really like this! Luffy is awesome even if he is stupid.
Naruto 57& 58. I LOVE THIS GUY! I hope I'm not getting near the end, I don't want the series to end!
Love*Com 5-8. This would be cute if we could get more of the guy's perspective.
Kekkaishi 19 & 20. This series is good at keeping me in suspence.
HunterXHunter 20. This new arc is pretty cool.
"I tell you, if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out." (Luke 19:37-40).
Exceptionally Ordinary
"No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else." P.T.Barnam
SierraLea

Postby Mouse2010 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:29 am

I don't read much manga, but I am currently reading A Bride's Story. I couldn't get to sleep last night because of a noisy rainstorm, so I stayed up last night finishing volume 3.

At first this volume really disappointed me, because I wanted to see more about Karluck and Amir. I think that was why it took me so long to read it. I kept looking at the first few pages and thinking "meh." But once I finally got into Talas and Mr. Smith's story, I really liked it. The volume didn't end the way I was expecting, but I guess the ending was realistic for the culture and time period.

I am really liking Piraya as a secondary character, too. I'm hoping to see more about her in future volumes.
Mouse2010

Re: What Manga are you reading?

Postby Atria35 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:20 pm

Bride's Story 3 - LIked how the focus shifted to other women in the community and how their own love lives are dealt with. It's not as nice and easy as Amir's, obvs, and dealing with the foriegn aspect really draws in an interesting cultural conflict that I wonder how it will play out.
Atria35

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:18 am

D.Gray-man chapters 92-101 - Kanda?!?!?! :wow!:
the_wolfs_howl

Postby MangaRocks! » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:26 pm

Gin no Saji, a.k.a. Silver Spoon, chapter 60: Oh gosh... :sweat:

Akagami no Shirayuki Hime chapter 36: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I'm liking how Izana keeps setting out these little tests for Shirayuki and Zen to see if they are really fit for their duties (and if they really have the correct priorities), and then keeps getting pleasantly surprised at their responses. :thumb: Also, those few little moments between Shirayuki and Zen at the gate were quite sweet. :hug:

Dawn Of The Arcana vol. 7: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Ah, interesting little alliance forming here. And an interesting new enemy, too...

Finally, Natsume's Book Of Friends vol. 13: Man, I've loved this series right from the start, but it just keeps getting better and better! :jump: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I love how Natsume slowly and realistically continues to grow; I love how tense the tone of the volume's first story was (and how quietly great its ending was); and I especially love the fact that several of this volume's chapters fleshed out the characters of Natsume's other two friends for the first time. Next volume when? :)
Saved by grace.

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Neane » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:38 pm

Riki-Oh. It's basically They Saved Hitler's Brain as a power-level shounen, with Shigurui levels of violence.
Neane

Postby Tigerchu » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:03 pm

FMA. I love the art style.
Tigerchu

Postby MangaRocks! » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:53 pm

Gin no Saji, a.k.a. Silver Spoon, chapter 61: Aw.

Akagami no Shirayuki Hime chapter 37: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Nice progress-- and great cliffhanger!

Zetsuen no Tempest chapter 21: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Oh dear. :sweat: I feel for the two trees' magicians right now, LOL. :grin: And I'm looking forward to seeing what that dude is planning...

And Pandora Hearts vol. 13: :pikka: ...Oh. Oh no. Nonononono...!! :sniffle: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Yes, I'll freely admit that I teared up a little at the end of this volume-- I loved that character, and his death hit even harder because I was really not expecting it. (And then what he was thinking as he was going... and then for his friend {and yeah, I know this is already under a spoiler tag, but I'm still not going to spoil it, so I'm going to be vague on names here} to come just too late, and the subsequent reaction... :sniffle: )

...*composing myself*...

...Um, as for the rest of the volume: Holy crap-- scary Baskerville regenerative powers are scary. :pikka: And as for the Head Hunter stuff-- well, I'm relieved about Elliot, for now... however, even though he didn't find an incuse on himself, there's still that ominous memory of Leo crying and telling Elliot to 'say its name' :pikka: , so I'm still pretty concerned for him, and even more so for Leo-- because with Leo's rather frightening request to Oz earlier in the volume, I'm almost certain now that he's the one who has the 'main body' of that Chain ("nonononono" again! :( ). (EDIT: Oh no... wait a minute-- I just realized a way that Elliot could indeed have the 'main body' of the Chain, and it's a way that I think would actually make perfect sense of all the flashbacks and clues. :pikka: Crap...! :( ) And man, all those other poor innocent kids-- I mean, holy crap, that's truly horrible what the 'orphanage' people did to them all. Wow. And then finally those cliffhangers...!
Last edited by MangaRocks! on Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:03 am

D.Gray-man chapters 102-110 - Soooooo excitiiiiing!!!!! :wow!: I was utterly shocked by what happened to Krory, but...that dude is hot. Also had a lot of inner squish looking at Lavi :XD:

Silver Spoon chapters 60-61 - I really wonder what exactly is up with Komaba....
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Vii » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:55 am

orange 1-9: DANG. This is good. Like, really good.

Silver Spoon 62 - Geez, Komaba. Just go back to class.
Vii

Postby SierraLea » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:12 pm

My current Bookshelf is
Zatch Bell! 1-3. Idon't like the drawing style, but like the story, so I'm hanging in there.
One Piece 16. The backstory for the reindeer is pretty cool, but I wanted more Luffy action.
Monkey High! 1. THis is very sweet, although it's a little like the beginning of Love.Com.
Love.Com 13-16. These two serve up endless laughs, and I liked the stories about the supporting characters.
Kekkaishi 28. I Don't want to return it. It's the last one I can get from my library. I'm reading the rest of it online.
HunterX Hunter 23&24. This story arc has got me in such bad suspense.
Goong 2-4. I can't believe I'm reading this. The main is such a jerk!
Crimson Hero 3-5. She is super refreshing, and a lot like me with her manly mannerisms. I like her!
That's it for now!
SierraLea

Postby minakichan » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:40 pm

I'm supremely behind on everything, so I'm trying to binge through all my Shonen Jump Alpha backissues so I can actually be up to date. All my non-shounen manga is on the backburner...

That said, Bakuman continued to be amazing while I wasn't paying attention.
minakichan

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:46 pm

By any chance have you been reading Cross Manage? I heard about it and I can't get enough of shonen sports stuff and I think our library has a subscription to SJA so I've been thinking about checking it out.

Also, welcome back! We've hardly talked but it's nice to see another person who actually talks about anime 'round these parts.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby minakichan » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:26 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs wrote:By any chance have you been reading Cross Manage? I heard about it and I can't get enough of shonen sports stuff and I think our library has a subscription to SJA so I've been thinking about checking it out.

Also, welcome back! We've hardly talked but it's nice to see another person who actually talks about anime 'round these parts.

When I say I'm behind, I'm REALLY behind, ehehe... the backissues I'm reading are even before SJA added Cross Manage, sorry. Well, I can't make a recommendation there, but at least I can recommend SJA; it's a great experience (at least on tablet) and super cheap. (And... this is kind of weird, but something of a little-known secret about SJA-- those Yu-Gi-Oh! cards are MONEY. I paid $30 for my subscription and already sold the free cards they gave this year for >$100, haha.)

Thanks, I'm surprised you remember. I've had to revisit a lot of forums on the Interwebs lately and felt nostalgic for CAA.
minakichan

Postby MangaRocks! » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:32 pm

Gin no Saji, a.k.a. Silver Spoon, chapter 62: ... SPOILER: Highlight text to read: LOL, that was quite the detailed lesson there. I guess Arakawa-sensei really likes cheese. :grin:

Bakuman. vol. 17: This series really is fantastic. :jump: And while I will of course be a little sad when it's over, I'm really looking forward to the last three volumes. :)

And Cross Game, Viz omnibus version, vol.'s 1-8 (complete): Wow. I don't like baseball, but this really drew me in. And while I do have to note that the occasional awkward fourth-wall-breaking-'humor' and (quite mild, but obviously just-to-have-it-in-there :eyeroll: ) fanservice sprinkled throughout could be a tad distracting when it appeared, it was great otherwise. In fact, once I started reading it, I just couldn't stop! I can see why it's a classic, and I certainly enjoyed it. :thumb:
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby Neane » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:43 am

Red River

ANATOLIA REPREZENT.

Also Finished Negima. There's not much I can add to this:

Essentially, it's a marvelously self-aware power-level shounen with huge amounts of boobs and buts. However, the ending chapters dispense with all that, and what remains is an actually touching story about friendship between the female core cast (two budding lesbians, a pedophile and a Tsundere from Another Dimension). In the end the day is saved, and although Negi's big quest to find his dad isn't over, it has entered a new phase. Sure, plenty of things are left waiting for a potential sequel, but with a story this bloated it seems like natural order of things.

Unfortunately then there's three more epilogue chapters with another time-skip, and that's where it all comes crumbling down. These incredibly lukewarm chapters are there just to state that the magnificent sequel happened off-panel, and we're not getting to see any of it. And despite this abrupt, forced conclusion, major plot points, such as the ultimate fate of Negi's mother and the identity of the main villain, are still left unresolved. What were they thinking? Was there some behind-the-scenes publishing drama? It's pretty apparent that Akamatsu was just making stuff up as he went along, but never did it seem like the story was losing steam. Sure, it had the occasional hiccup all bloated shounen series suffer from (for example, the creator entirely forgets a minor Chekov's gun established 25 chapters ago), but it never gave me the impression that Akamatsu was rushing to get it over and done with. It didn't feel like, say, Riki-Oh, where everything that came after the first arc was more epic in scale but inferior in terms of intensity.

But despite the epilogue being a miserable wet fart, it was a good ride while it lasted, and I'm morally obligated to post my personal, subjective rankings in its honor.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Cutest girl:
1. Sayo
2. Konoka

Hottest girl:
1. Theodora (Wow)
2. Shizuna (God **** it, Akamatsu, stop concentrating on jailbait so much)

Best girl overall:
1. Chisame (eclipsing the designated main girl like a boss)
2. Haruna (Chisame's polar opposite; she's having way too much fun with all the magical shenanigans)

Best comedy character:
1. Setsuna (so much repressed sexuality)
2. Fate during the final arc
Honorable mention: Jack Rakan, a true working-class hero

Biggest HOLY **** moment:
1. Eva finally going all-out (the battle also beautifully subverts the "always send a child to do a man's job" anime cliche)
2. Chachamaru fires her lazor
3. Oh god, Love Hina takes place in the same universe
Neane

Postby MangaRocks! » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:31 pm

orange (by Ichigo Takano), chapters 1-9 so far: :pikka: ...Holy crap, this is fantastic!! :jump: Absolutely cannot wait for the next chapter! :jump:
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby SierraLea » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:22 pm

The first volume of High School Debut. The last chapter was one of the best budding romances I've ever seen in manga, where both parties like each other and know it, and both are really great characters! I was expecting her to fall for the other guy.
SierraLea

Postby Vii » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:07 am

MangaRocks! wrote:orange (by Ichigo Takano), chapters 1-9 so far: :pikka: ...Holy crap, this is fantastic!! :jump: Absolutely cannot wait for the next chapter! :jump:

Yay! Another orange reader! :3
Vii

Postby AnimeGirl » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:27 pm

A Devil and Her Love Song, vol.1

I really liked this! I think I will follow it. I LOVE the art style, especially how Maria looks. And I love how intuitive she is. I like her blunt nature, and how she isn't all bubbly and kind, like majority shoujo (not that this is always a bad thing). And I like how it feels meaningful, as well.

Haha, for some reason I tend to really like the shoujo with lead females who can look creepy or intimidating in a frame. (Like how Sawako can look creepy when she tries to smile in Kimi ni Todoke, and Maria here when she tries the "lovely spin" head tilt XD).
AnimeGirl

Postby Neane » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:16 am

Read Chapter 110 of Dorohedoro. There is going to be monthly chapter releases now which means that I don't have to wait more than a year to find out what happened to Dokuga. Which is good given that he was in a bit of a Schrodinger's cat quantum dead-and-alive state at the end of Volume 17

I believe that I'm the only person on this site who's reading this manga. (There's like only 3,000 people in the world reading this manga.). It has an amazing setting, awesome characters, and a great tone. Recently, it became one of my favorite manga along with stuff like Shigurui (AKA: The only manga that caused my spine to shake while reading it because of how good it is) and Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind.
Neane

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews