What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby wildpurplechild » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:40 pm

Atria35 (post: 1583909) wrote:Loveless v 1- Well, this really just dumps into the main storyline and doesn't even bother to explain things. And the main doesn't ASK for them to be explained when he really shouldn't have a darn clue about what's going on! wtf?!

I'd steer clear of this one! As far as I know (though I haven't read it) this story is a yaoi with under age characters.
Heads up, I don't go on this site much these days...
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

Postby Atria35 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:18 pm

wildpurplechild (post: 1584072) wrote:I'd steer clear of this one! As far as I know (though I haven't read it) this story is a yaoi with under age characters.

Actually, it's shounen-ai, (with one character that's underage, but I've read hetero romances with underage romances) but I don't have a problem with homosexual relationships, so I don't care.
Atria35

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:02 am

Silver Spoon chapter 49

D.Gray-man chapters 26-31
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Vii » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:26 pm

Kimi ni Todoke 71
0_0 ...[SIZE="3"]0__0[/SIZE]...[SIZE="6"]0___0[/SIZE]
*fangirl squee*
That is all.
Vii

Postby metolosophy » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:53 pm

Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic- Chapters 1-10 Very excellent so far! ^L^

Kuroshitsuji- Chapters 67-71 This is one of the least violent story arcs yet (a very different pace from the previous one), but I'm sure it'll turn. o-o
Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise.
Better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

metolosophy

Postby MangaRocks! » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:40 pm

A Distant Neighborhood, a.k.a. Harukana Machi-E, vol.'s 1-2 (complete): Hmm... I think I was expecting more from this in terms of its story-- more emotion, a better [spoiler]explanation/reason for the thing with his father (I mean, at the point where it's revealed I was just like, "...Seriously? That's it? :eyebrow: ........."), etc. Although I do have to say that the book the main character received in the mail at the end was a nice little touch, overall my opinion of this was decidedly 'meh.'[/spoiler]

On the other hand, I also read Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun-- chapters 1-31 so far-- and I'm loving it! :jump: The characters are a bit weirder than I expected, LOL (though due to their pasts there's good reason for it, and anyway it's definitely not a bad thing! ;)), and the series as a whole has been funnier than I expected as well. Plus, the romances have a bit of a unique flavor to them due to the aforementioned personalities of the people involved. So yeah, it's been great so far, and I'm looking forward to the rest! :thumb:
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby SierraLea » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:00 am

Currently from the library I have
Naruto, volumes 28-30. I love the part about the Jinchuriki.
Trigun, Volumes 1-7. I love it when I get a bunch in a row!
Black Butler, 2-4. Love two and three, am bored silly with four.
Bleach, 28-31. I love who showed up again!(I can't do spoiler tags)
Vampire Knight, 1&2. I can't wait to see what happens!
Bakuman, 11. After waiting so long, it felt good to laugh at these two again.
Hikaru No Go, 3-7. He's getting good fast! I had to read 5 & 6 online since my library doesn't have them.
I'm getting more today!
"I tell you, if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out." (Luke 19:37-40).
Exceptionally Ordinary
"No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else." P.T.Barnam
SierraLea

Postby Popyman » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:20 pm

Trigun is probably the last manga I read. I'm slowly collecting the Maximum series. But besides that, I haven't really read much manga since Shonen Jump went digital only. :/ New Hunter X Hunter volume comes out next month though, I can't wait for that!! :D
Popyman

Postby metolosophy » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:32 am

Magi - chapters 11-30.
This stuff is awesome. >w<
Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise.
Better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

metolosophy

Postby MangaRocks! » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:14 am

Gin no Saji, a.k.a. Silver Spoon, chapter 50: LOL, that was great! :grin: (Man, why has this not been licensed yet?!)

Also, didn't have to wait long for more Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun-- chapter 32 was just released. :thumb: And LOL, it's hilarious that [spoiler]those couple of groups can't get away from each other, even when they want to. :lol: Oh, and that "...stop flirting in such an incomprehensible way!" line was pretty funny, too. :grin:[/spoiler]
Saved by grace.

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby AngelicTotoro » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:04 pm

As for as released chapters go, I'm up to date for Skip Beat, Akagami no Shirayukihime, Dengeki Daisy and Ookami-heika no Hanayome.

I also finally found a place to read Toshokan Sensou - Love and War, so I'm like all over that. :eyeroll:

Currently reading Kare Kano from a little bit before where the anime left off.
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby Atria35 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:57 pm

Read B-Shock. It start off using rape as comedy and then moves to just this side of okay. I'm really not that impressed >.>
Atria35

Postby blkmage » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:08 pm

If you liked Nichijou's sketches in which Mai trolls the hell out of Yukko in class, then you might like Tonari no Seki-kun.
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:23 pm

Just finished the first volume of Dawn of the Arcana, which is basically a shoujo combination of Fire Emblem 9's racism themes mixed with a so-far fairly uninteresting political marriage. I really wanted to like it because on the surface it's political fantasy series, but while I wasn't expecting Game of Thrones, it seems mostly to care about the love triangle, so if you're interested in that I'm guessing this is not the manga for you based on the first volume. It wasn't terrible and I'll keep reading it so long as it's free, but it was fairly disappointing and I hope it either improves on the pretty weak romance or gets more into the details of the world and stuff.

It has confirmed for me that there is something about shoujo manga that is difficult for me to follow, too. It was less noticeable in Ouran, but in all the shoujo manga I've read I've noticed that something about them is foreign to me, since I don't have this problem with any of the shonen or seinen stuff I've read. It's not that I can't like it, because I have a few shoujo things I do like, but it does seem like I have a much harder time connecting with them story-wise.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:39 pm

Silver Spoon chapter 50

D.Gray-man chapters 32-35
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Atria35 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:04 pm

Olympos - Since they had it as an omnibus at B&N, I picked it up. This is GREAT stuff!
Atria35

Postby AdriTan » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:52 pm

Othello. I find it quite intruiging! Love it!
Love Momma Flower @}~~,~
AdriTan

Postby Atria35 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:17 am

Young Miss Holmes 1-2- The other omnibus that I picked up at the bookstore. It didn't hit it's pace until the third 'case', with the Red Headed League. It had started with the case before, but it wasn't until she got in on a full-blown case and was there for the investigating that this started feeling like a detctive series and less like an annoyance.
Atria35

Postby SierraLea » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:57 pm

Here's my new bookshelf
Still reading Trigun, although I think the Anime is better so far.
Started Vampire Knight, and am hoping it gets better.
Started Cirque Du Freak, and am ravenous for more.
Still reading Naruto, which keeps getting better.
Still reading Bleach, currently in bad suspense.
Black Butler is dissapointing since my library doesn't carry it all.
Still reading Hikaru No Go, and loving every page

I may have forgotten some.
Exceptionally Ordinary
SierraLea

Postby AdriTan » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:14 pm

*sobs* I have to get the seventh book of Othello from the library, but I won't be there till Tuesday! :( It's in this clif hanger and I'm like.... AAAAHHH!!!!
Love Momma Flower @}~~,~
AdriTan

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:57 am

D.Gray-man chapters 36-40

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby wildpurplechild » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:26 pm

Madoka Magica vol 2: The manga adaption is good so far. I feel its a little tamer than the anime, but it's still really good! The art is especially well done, I think.
Heads up, I don't go on this site much these days...
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

Postby SierraLea » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:23 pm

Cirque Du Freak, Volumes 3,4, and 5. I hate it when volumes end on a massive cliff hanger! Hikaru No Go did that too, and I couldn't concentrate on any of the books I had to read for classes after that!
Exceptionally Ordinary
SierraLea

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:10 pm

D.Gray-man chapters 41-47

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:44 pm

Gin no Saji, a.k.a. Silver Spoon, chapter 51. :)

Also, Bakuman vol. 12: Another excellent volume, as always! :thumb: [spoiler]I really like the sub-plot that they're forming with Shun, and also how Shun's drawing methods actually helped Mashiro see how he could draw faster. And the pressure is really on the main characters now with all the projects that they're committing to do-- definitely looking forward to seeing what happens next![/spoiler]
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby Popyman » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:10 pm

Hunter x Hunter! Volume 28 finally came out in America the other day. ^^ Waited a whole year, man. But it is worth it, HxH is the best shonen manga of all time.
"Sometimes isolation is a good thing, Razputin. It can lead to many important discoveries."
--Sasha Nein, Psychonauts
Popyman

Postby Cadence » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:39 pm

"At the end of my life, as my vision faded to black, I thought I saw a tiny star..."

I recently completed my collection of Twin Spica by Yaginuma Kou and have since read the entire thing through three times. I've been a fan of the series for several years and read the first several volumes as Vertical released them in English, but eventually stopped keeping up with the releases...when I heard it was going out of print I quickly ordered the rest of the series, and I am so glad I did. Twin Spica is a very special story - set in an alternate version of near-future Japan, in which the first manned rocket launch ended in a tragic crash in a seaside town, it follows a group of five young people as they attend a space school in Tokyo to become astronauts. Part of the story is told in a straight forward narrative about the kids attending school and striving for their dreams, and part is told through a series of flashbacks, mainly dealing with the aftermath of the crash and its effects in the lives of various people. It is the sort of quiet, slow, and character driven narrative I love, but even if you are not into that sort of stuff, I would suggest taking a look anyway. Yaginuma is a spectacular storyteller, and Twin Spica reaches some pretty powerful emotional climaxes. If you're at all interested, I would suggest picking up the volumes as soon as you can - volumes 9, 10, and especially 11 are already getting pretty difficult to find at a reasonable price.

And speaking of Vertical, for those of you who are interested in this sort of thing, they are taking manga licensing suggestions again via Facebook and Twitter, and even have a survey open this time (I think it closes in a week?). There are some restrictions on things you can suggest, though - no titles from before 2000, no titles from Shogakukan, Shueisha, or Akita Shoten, no titles longer than 12 volumes, and nothing that has previously been licensed.
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6
Cadence

Postby SierraLea » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:10 pm

I Love Hikaru No Go Volume 14. That has got to be one of the best crying scenes in the manga world.
Exceptionally Ordinary
SierraLea

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:50 am

Popyman wrote:Hunter x Hunter! Volume 28 finally came out in America the other day. ^^ Waited a whole year, man. But it is worth it, HxH is the best shonen manga of all time.

I'm not sure I'd say that, but HxH is definitely a manga that keeps my attention despite its ridiculous hiatuses. With shonen formulas feeling increasingly rigid, you can always count on HxH to be completely different.

The Ant arc was a bit extended for my taste, but the unconventional ending restored a lot of my good will. It's also followed by a great arc that's mostly about parliamentary procedure.
uc pseudonym

Postby Maokun » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:04 am

Finished Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou... It's ending was disappointing even though during its last third it started telegraphing heavily that it would provide 0 closure to absolutely anything :/

YKK it's a weird thing and I have to wonder if it was some kind of exercise in Zen narrative. Even shounen-loving me was ok at the beginning with its slow pace of conflict-free slice-of-life storytelling. The world was interesting and worth being discovered bit by bit and from time to time you'd get hints of an underlying mystery that kept you reading even through the slowest parts of the story. It even had a big shake-up towards the middle that raised hope of an increased development of the hinted plot!

But nothing came out of it. After a few chapters, the status quo was re-established and this time with a vengeance: endless chapter after chapter would deal in little more than silent large panels of the protagonist dozing off interspersed with shots of abandoned roads (clearly a favourite drawing subject of the author.) This whole thing wound up for over 12 years at a monthly rate and my mind boggles when I try to figure how it is to get a new chapter after waiting for a month and it entirely consisting of shots of the main character looking wistfully out of the window. And then, from time to time, one of the underlying-mystery-hinting chapters... but at that point you knew that it would never go anywhere and that the manga would end anticlimactically.

I seriously wonder if the author at some point had a plan for the story but eventually stopped caring or couldn't find a way to develop it. It's just strange. I personally wouldn't have minded this manga if it was much shorter and never showed aspirations of being anything else... just a short, peaceful stroll through a post-apocalyptic world, slowly reclaimed by nature from the dwindling human race. Instead, it ended being a "let's see how many different non-compelling happenings can we make our main character literally sleep through," and the answer being "a lot."

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews