Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Smileloviene » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:55 am

Cianter (post: 1563301) wrote:I have also seen the first season of Darker than Black and loved it, though I stopped watching the second season.

I just wanted to say, while i won't highly recomend the sendon season of DTB because it get more innappropriate, i would at least highly recomend the OVAs, because they are just as excellent as the first season, in my opinion :) Just a sidenote

DecooPunk (post: 1567315) wrote:I'm looking for a time travel anime with no yaoi or yuri and a TV-14 or lower rating.
(Seen The Girl Who Leapt Through Time already)
Don't even know if any of those sort of anime exist, but it doesn't hurt to ask :D

I agree with Milenium (spelling?) Actress. It's not necessarily time travel, and is a little hard to follow, but for what it's worth i found it pretty interesting

Also, I agree that with the 16+ recommendations of Pandora Hearts and Stein's Gate especially. More mature content, but both incredible series :)

Oh, and if you liked The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, have you watched Summer Wars? Not time travel, but made by the same people and very good ;)
[font="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][color="DarkOrchid"]The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. ~ Habakkuk 3:19[/color][/SIZE][/font][PHP][/PHP]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Yellow"]@)[/color][color="Lime"]}~`,~[/color][color="Cyan"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Carry This Rose In Your Signature, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/font][/color]
Smileloviene

Postby Smileloviene » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:04 am

Oh, and little question of my own :)

First, thanks for solving my Nisemonogatari problem. I will not be watching it. I enjoyed the first season and am happy to keep it at that ;) I'll prolly watch the pre-quel movie when it becomes available though, 'cause that looked interesting

Anyway, I recently started watching Fairy Tail for the first time, though i've considered it several times before. And i was wondering, first, how long it actually is, and if it's worth watching? I've enjoyed it so far (irish-like music for fighting scenes is a definite winner in my book :thumb:) but i guess i was mainly wondering if the plot becomes more set with one thing (like finding thre dragon, maybe?) or if it's going to continue these 1-5 episode arcs. That's all good, i guess, but i kind of like a longer complex plot to little splurges of it, if that makes sense

Oh yeah, and (sorry to have so many questions) I recently heard about a series called Genesis of Aquarion and it's sequel Aquarion Evol and found what i heard of it extremely interesting. But, since this website doesn't have a review for it, I was wondering if anyone could give me a basic how decent/appropriate it is and possible age range? Thanks :)
[font="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][color="DarkOrchid"]The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. ~ Habakkuk 3:19[/color][/SIZE][/font][PHP][/PHP]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Yellow"]@)[/color][color="Lime"]}~`,~[/color][color="Cyan"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Carry This Rose In Your Signature, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/font][/color]
Smileloviene

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:53 am

^ Fairy Tail is ongoing. I think it's at over 100 episodes right now, but I could be wrong. As for the quality, it's one of the few shounen that I really enjoy, and the plot with the dragons does get more important, but it's actually not the end-all plot, it just ties into it.
Atria35

Postby Falx » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:41 am

Atria35 (post: 1571640) wrote:^ Fairy Tail is ongoing. I think it's at over 100 episodes right now, but I could be wrong. As for the quality, it's one of the few shounen that I really enjoy, and the plot with the dragons does get more important, but it's actually not the end-all plot, it just ties into it.

136 as of this Saturday.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby Smileloviene » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:04 pm

Lol... ALRIGHT! :thumb: I will definitely keep it on my watch list then, though I'll prolly just take it slow instead of rushing through it. Thanks :n_n:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Smileloviene

Postby rocklobster » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:16 am

ok, I want to know, just how bad is Elfen Lied. I keep getting different viewpoints, and I thought it would be a good controversial anime for my blog.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Falx » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:51 am

rocklobster (post: 1576091) wrote:ok, I want to know, just how bad is Elfen Lied. I keep getting different viewpoints, and I thought it would be a good controversial anime for my blog.

It's gorey as heck, precious few of the characters have any redeeming qualities and those few don't last long. The lead female spends nearly 60% of the series naked, and there's no barbie doll anatomy here. I liked it when I was younger and thought it was edgy and shocking. But it's pretty poorly executed all around and ends in a poor attempt at a sequel hook which never went anywhere.

The best part of the show is the beautiful OP... which also contains nudity.

That said, I do like the main character still, as she genuinely tries to repent for her (quite horrific) crimes and does undergo some character development... only to be shafted by the ending.

Also a child character gets sexually abused by her stepfather, thankfully the scene cut before the worst, but it was still nauseating and I honestly don't know how I stomached it back then.

IMO, it's not really a controversial anime... it's just poorly done.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Falx

Postby Agloval » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:00 pm

rocklobster (post: 1576091) wrote:ok, I want to know, just how bad is Elfen Lied. I keep getting different viewpoints, and I thought it would be a good controversial anime for my blog.
Falx has pretty much covered this one. I personally have fairly relaxed content standards -- I'll tolerate gore and nudity and sex, and I think they can (more rarely than some think, perhaps) be valid creative tools -- but I didn't think Elfen Lied got anywhere close to properly justifying its excesses. It was pretty shoddily-done, far from the worst thing I've seen but nothing special even if you take out the controversial stuff.

My impression is that it has a certain residual presence in fandom consciousness because it used to be one of those 'these foreign cartoons are extreme, man' titles that got people into anime.

Smileloviene (post: 1571609) wrote:Oh yeah, and (sorry to have so many questions) I recently heard about a series called Genesis of Aquarion and it's sequel Aquarion Evol and found what i heard of it extremely interesting. But, since this website doesn't have a review for it, I was wondering if anyone could give me a basic how decent/appropriate it is and possible age range? Thanks :)
I'm not completely familiar with either series, but I've seen bits of both -- hopefully someone better-acquainted with them can fill in. Both Genesis and Evol seemed violent, but not especially more violent than any other giant robot show. Both -- but I think Evol more so -- sail close to the wind with jokes about and references to sex; and both involve combining robots with the combination sequence fairly overtly equated to a sexual experience for the pilots involved. The emphasis seemed more to be on getting laughs than on titillating. Beyond that there was some fanservice, mostly in the form of revealing clothing. However, as I said, I haven't seen all of either title and so can't give a full content description.

They're strange shows which don't take themselves seriously and probably owe a lot to the productively unhinged mind of Shoji Kawamori. In both cases I stopped watching from disinterest -- they're not my thing -- but I can see why Evol, for one, has quite a lot of fans. I'm not really informed enough to offer an age range, but, at the least, I wouldn't show either title to kids.
'That blast is blown for me, for I am the prize, and yet am I not dead.'
Agloval

Postby Neane » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:10 pm

Falx (post: 1576118) wrote:It's gorey as heck

Not really that gorey if you compare it to later titles like Shigurui: Death Frenzy for example, but then again I only saw the first episode of Elfen Lied...was not interested enough to continue. [Side-note question for Flax: You did not read the manga?]

Smileloviene (post: 1571609) wrote:Oh, and little question of my own :)

Oh yeah, and (sorry to have so many questions) I recently heard about a series called Genesis of Aquarion and it's sequel Aquarion Evol and found what i heard of it extremely interesting. But, since this website doesn't have a review for it, I was wondering if anyone could give me a basic how decent/appropriate it is and possible age range? Thanks :)

There is a review for Genesis here.

The sequel has more fan-service and sexual references during said mecha unit couplings...but it is not extreme amounts.
Neane

Postby ABlipinTime » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:30 pm

Anyone seen "The Place Promised in Our Early Days" and what can you say about it?
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby Falx » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:45 pm

Neane (post: 1576180) wrote:Not really that gorey if you compare it to later titles like Shigurui: Death Frenzy for example, but then again I only saw the first episode of Elfen Lied...was not interested enough to continue. [Side-note question for Flax: You did not read the manga?]

It got quite a bit worse after the first episode but haven't seen Shigurui so can't compare.

And I tried but I took one look at the QUALITY art and immediately lost all interest, but I read a synopsis of what happened and am glad I didn't bother.

Falx

Postby SierraLea » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:58 pm

What is Loveless like? I can't find any Christian reviews on it, and the whole thing with the cat features and virginity makes me sckeptical of its appropriateness.
"I tell you, if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out." (Luke 19:37-40).
Exceptionally Ordinary
"No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else." P.T.Barnam
SierraLea

Postby Falx » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:07 pm

SierraLea (post: 1576311) wrote:What is Loveless like? I can't find any Christian reviews on it, and the whole thing with the cat features and virginity makes me sckeptical of its appropriateness.

Here's a quote from the character page of one of the two mains I found at MAL:

In addition to the masochist label, Soubi is often described as having a shotacon complex. Despite the clamor to label him as such, it is also claimed by some there is no evidence of this within the canon. Though, at least in the anime, it must be noted that Soubi is recurrently fondling and kissing the 12-year-old Ritsuka.

12 year old boy.

So yeah.

Falx

Postby KnightOfFive » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:33 am

Are there any good vampire hunting anime without Vampiric protagonists?
Most warriors would find it beneath them to attack a girl. Especially when she wasn't looking. No person with any honor or pride would ever do such a thing. I bid you farewell and good riddance. You're not even worth lamenting.-Uryu Ishida
KnightOfFive

Postby Neane » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:06 pm

KnightOfFive (post: 1577593) wrote:Are there any good vampire hunting anime without Vampiric protagonists?

Shiki is the closet you will get to that request I believe.
Neane

anime night suggestions

Postby sim96 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:24 pm

Im trying to start an anime night at the cafe my parent s run but i need advice on what to show, im looking for a few series under around 100 episodes
*When life gives you lemons you clone those lemons and make super lemons*
sim96

Postby Vilo159 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:48 pm

I think this would best go in the Anime Recommendations thread.

I would suggest Trigun. 26 episodes, really good for anyone. And past that, I suppose it depends on who you expect your audience to be; Different people like different stuff. But try to get a good mix of different genres in there, so you can have something for everyone. Maybe Soul Eater for a good shonen, Ouran High School Host Club for a good comedy.

I haven't seen many animes at all in comparison to everyone else on here though, so others will likely have lots of better suggestions.
Vilo159

Postby steenajack » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:58 pm

Full metal Alchemist! Both series!
Twelve Kingdoms is also good. Also for kids, you could try showing Hikaru no Go and maybe Naruto (though, I've never seen Naruto. ) You could try Tsubasa Chronicles and Fruits Basket, Haibane Renmei, Princess Nine, Angelic Layer, and maybe American shows like Avatar: The Last Airbener (the sequel is great too), Teen Titans, and Oban Star Racers. :3
Moribito is also good (from what I've seen), there is also an iron man anime that I hear good things about. There's even a Batman anime movie....kiddies may be scared off by the violence though.
For movies, anything by Miazaki is fantastic. :3 As well as movies like The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Summer Wars. :) Origin: Spirits of the Past is pretty decent as well.
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby bakura91 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:14 am

Like the previous poster said Trigun is great because its one of those shows that you can just pick up and whatch without having to make a huge time commitment like whith say One Piece. Same with Bebop. Also movies and Oavs would be good to show.
bakura91

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:36 am

merged request thread in here

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Atria35 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:16 am

Under 100 episodes? Almost every anime out there is under 100 episodes. Over is a very rare exception to the rule.

The thing you should keep in mind is who the people showing up for this will be. The regulars who come in about that time might still stop in, and you don't want to shock them or drive them away from your parent's business, so we'll assume that the content should be kept low-key. And for your parents, that the rating is under 'R', since it's a public business.

Vilo159 (post: 1578292) wrote:Maybe Soul Eater for a good shonen.

Considering how full of fanservice that Soul Eater is for the first 6 eps, this might drive a few customers away from the cafe. It might be best to stick with series that can appeal to a number of demographics.

I think it would also do well to keep in mind how often this anime night will be. If it's only once a week with one episode a week, then you might want to stick to either movies or shows that are around 13 episodes, because it's very difficult for newcomers to get into longer series (especially if they're coming in halfway through a 26 episode series and have to wait another 13 weeks to get in on the start of a new series. How irritating would that be?) Are you shoing more than one episode a night? Then totally go for some longer series, but I'd still stick to 26-and-under. Over that, and I'd be showing a shorter series in addition and be depending on a hardcore group coming for it.

I'm also going on an assumption that you want licensed series.

Seconding the movies that Steena mentioned, though going to bring up that Ghibli does not equal Miyazaki. Minus Grave of the Fireflies... it's a story about starvation, and having that in a cafe is a turn-off. I couldn't eat while watching it! And Pom Poko really isn't that good.

Move-wise, there's also Tokyo Godfathers, Clannad (yes, there's a movie of this, though it's far inferior to the series), 5 Centimeters Per Second, Voices of a Distant Star, The Place Promised In Our Early Days, Time of Eve, Millennium Actress

(and two that will be coming out soon but aren't released yet: The Children Who Chase Lost Voices From Deep Below, A Letter to Momo)

As for other series, Kuragehime, Haibane Renmei, Kino's Journey, Rideback, Ano Hana, Air, the first season of Natsume Yuujinchou (can be seen without the later series), Cromartie High School (episodes are only half-length, so it's more like 13 eps), Usagi Drop, Angel Beats!, The Big O (first season, can be seen w.out the second), Birdy the Mighty: Decode (first season can be seen w/out the second), Area 88 (OVA is better), Read or Die (OVA), Ef A Tale of Memories

If you want to get into longer series (to be shown in addition to the shorter), some good around-26-episode ones:
Mushishi, Big Windup, Planetes, Last Exile, Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Bamboo Blade, Ouran Host Club, Toradora!, Ghost Hunt, Pumpkin Scissors, Noein, Moribito, Trigun
Atria35

Postby HarleyQuinnOy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:58 pm

Im not exactly sure what kind of anime I am looking for but I will list some that I like and maybe you guys can point me in the right direction :D I have liked anime for a long time but I really haven't watched that much and I want to start, kinda why I joined CAA!

Bleach
DBZ
Azumanga daioh
Kenichi
Trigun
[color="Pink"]It can't rain all the time[/color]
HarleyQuinnOy

Postby Maokun » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:31 pm

On the line of Bleach and DBZ: One Piece

As good as Trigun: Cowboy Bebop

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby HarleyQuinnOy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:52 pm

Thanks I will definitely check those out, I've heard of Cowboy Bebop but never One piece!
[color="Pink"]It can't rain all the time[/color]
HarleyQuinnOy

Postby Atria35 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:44 am

HarleyQuinnOy (post: 1579856) wrote:Im not exactly sure what kind of anime I am looking for but I will list some that I like and maybe you guys can point me in the right direction :D I have liked anime for a long time but I really haven't watched that much and I want to start, kinda why I joined CAA!

Bleach
DBZ
Azumanga daioh
Kenichi
Trigun

Seconding Cowboy Bebop and One Piece.

If you like AzuDi, I'd recommend Bamboo Blade, Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou and School Rumble

Kenshin is really one of a kind, but I've heard Gintama is pretty good.
Atria35

Postby yasdnil » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:19 pm

Hey, this is my first post here. My wife and I are new to anime and would really love some recommendations.

Here's what we like:

Death Note (loved the psychological aspect but wouldn't like anything darker)
Eden of the East (our favourite. mystery, Christ imagery, a little romance)
Scrapped Princess (western fantasy, pretty safe but mysterious)
Miyazaki movies (the ones that don't have too much 'weird' spiritual stuff)
Fruits Basket
Cowboy Bebop
Baccano (the wife didn't like this one of course :D)

We particularly like fantasy and adventure, don't mind a little violence but not much. Also we avoid nudity and sexual innuendo. Mystery and fantasy with a bit of romance are great. So anything with a bit of action/adventure/romance (fantasy elements for bonus points) would be great. Thanks so much!
yasdnil

Postby K. Ayato » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:48 pm

Princess Tutu (Don't let the girly title fool you. If you appreciate Classical music, ballet, and fairy tales, this one is worth a try.)

Trigun (Seeing you already like Bebop)

Mushishi (For the fantasy/mystery element. I've only seen one episode, but I've read most of the manga which follows the setup very well.)

Tengan Toppen Gurren Lagan (A really good anime that emphasizes not giving up and pushing forward. Has some fan service elements, but I'm sure the awesomeness will override it if you give it a chance ;).)
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby dothackzero » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:21 am

Anyone know of any good anime like

Steins;Gate
Chaos;Head
Noein
dothackzero

Postby Neane » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:03 am

dothackzero (post: 1583245) wrote:Anyone know of any good anime like
Steins]

Welcome to the NHK! (Content Note: Some Nudity (Don't worry...not everything shows if you know what I mean) and foul language.
The Tatami Galaxy
Planetes

dothackzero (post: 1583245) wrote:Noein

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Dennou Coil
Fantastic Children
Neane

Postby Atria35 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:57 am

yasdnil (post: 1580253) wrote:Hey, this is my first post here. My wife and I are new to anime and would really love some recommendations.

Here's what we like:

Death Note (loved the psychological aspect but wouldn't like anything darker)
Eden of the East (our favourite. mystery, Christ imagery, a little romance)
Scrapped Princess (western fantasy, pretty safe but mysterious)
Miyazaki movies (the ones that don't have too much 'weird' spiritual stuff)
Fruits Basket
Cowboy Bebop
Baccano (the wife didn't like this one of course :D)

We particularly like fantasy and adventure, don't mind a little violence but not much. Also we avoid nudity and sexual innuendo. Mystery and fantasy with a bit of romance are great. So anything with a bit of action/adventure/romance (fantasy elements for bonus points) would be great. Thanks so much!

To add to K. Ayato's recommendations,
Kemono no Souja Erin - fantasy world but there's no magic, just animals that aren't like what we have on earth. Some adventure. A little violence, but it's less than Cowboy Bebop.

Library Wars - about fights over the right to knowledge and the access to books (kept, of course, in libraries). There is a good amount of action and occasional injuries (casualties are rare), prety much no fanservice or sexual content, and there's defintiely romance. No fantasy or magic here.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time - A girl learns she has the power to time-travel, but it has consequences and is limited. Romance, some violence (but there is no gore shown - not even a hint of blood), and a very slight mystery. Sci-fi instead of fantasy. If you like it, you should follow up with he movie Summer Wars.

Escaflowne (tv series) - Fantasy/action/Romance, about a girl who's drawn into another world that's in the midst of war. She does use tarot cards at two points, but they're minor occasions, and for the most part she just helps to try and end the war. Some violence, but mostly on Cowboy Bebop level.

Haibane Renmei - more slice-of-life like Fruits Basket is, but there is a definit underlying mystery about the whole thing and there are easily-interpreted Christian themes and ideas. Fantasy, as well.

Millennium Actress - prt fantasy/historical/romance. it's hard to describe, there's a review of it in on that section of the site, though.

Romeo x Juliet - fantasy/action remake, still has the romance, though. The fantasy is relegated to they have a tree that keeps the island flying, and they have flying horses.
Atria35

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews