What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:18 pm

Shoukoku no Altair chapters 20-22
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Neane » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:44 am

Maokun (post: 1558261) wrote:

There's a great movie made of this. Check it out.

Sorry, only recently found this post. Personally, I think the Hadashi no Gen movie is better than Grave of the Fireflies. While Grave of the Fireflies is depressing sad, and tragic: Hadashi no Gen is horrifying, intense, sad, but quite uplifting in a way.

Hadashi no Gen is a movie that more people need to see. Recommended to people who liked Grave of the Fireflies and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

The manga, I have to say, is a must read for any manga fan. It is one of the best manga of all times.
Neane

Postby TheBlueRose22 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:35 pm

Pluto and Billy Bat...I'm on a Urasawa kick.
TheBlueRose22

Postby Neane » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:33 pm

The Push Man and Other Stories was nearly as good as Abandon the Old in Tokyo. The stories ranged from being hilarious to compelling.

Also, A Drifting Life was a very enlightening read.
Neane

Postby AnimeGirl » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:13 pm

Finished volume 4 of NG Life. Wow.....this is getting very interesting.
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Jolly Roger » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:06 am

Gun x Clover- chapter 1 & 2.

Very interesting premise and ideas are overshadowed by an over-reliance on shameless fan service. Too much ecchi stuff bothers me at the best of times but the extent of it here makes it close to unreadable. Its a shame too because without it the chapters would have been much better.
Jolly Roger

Postby MangaRocks! » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:45 pm

Gin no Saji, a.k.a. Silver Spoon, chapters 42-43: LOL! Great as ever. :thumb:

The Bride Of The Water God vol. 11: Finally! :) And nice twist there with SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Mura and the Ban-Do tree. Also, that last page before the extra-- hahaha, Habaek's father is a sly one, isn't he? :grin:

Finally, I also checked out the first Until Death Do Us Part omnibus (containing Japanese vol.'s 1 & 2): Hmm... depending on where it goes from here, this series' plot could get pretty interesting. I also really liked the fact that, for now, Haruka's abilities were explained with SPOILER: Highlight text to read: quantum physics. Only downside was that there was one kinda random, unexpected panel of (female) nudity in the middle :eyebrow: :sweat:... but, otherwise, I found it rather intriguing (and it left off on a nice cliffhanger, too), so I guess I'll keep following it for now.
Last edited by MangaRocks! on Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:05 pm

Shoukoku no Altair chapters 23-24

And apparently that's all I'm getting my hands on for now.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby AnimeGirl » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:19 pm

Read volume 1 of "A Bride's Story"

Oh my! What LAVISH artwork! I've never seen manga look so beautiful before! Them details *.* And though it is such a simple story, I think that's what makes it a nice little read. It's something to read when you feel like relaxing, and want something pretty to stare at. I do find it kinda awkward for a 20 year old woman to be married to a 12 year old boy, but it probably has something to do with the customs or whatever back then. And she's considered an old bride? Well, back then, probably yeah. I really think Amir is cool! I like it when she uses that bow to hunt!
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

AnimeGirl

Postby MangaRocks! » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:10 pm

The Intrigues Of Haruhi Suzumiya (novel #7): This installment was fantastic!! :jump: There was so much character and plot development and so many really interesting little details packed in that I feel like I should read it again just to make sure I didn't miss anything! :) [spoiler]Also, there was one thing in particular that Koizumi said (or rather, vaguely hinted) about Kyon towards the end which (if I understood it correctly) could just be a red herring, but could also turn out to be a pretty massive twist, should the author choose to go in that direction. (Though I'd be fine with it either way.) And that's just one of the many fascinating things in this volume.[/spoiler]
Saved by grace.

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Bobtheduck » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:49 am

Still the only Manga I've followed for over a year: Naruto.

It looks like it's about to be the last battle soon... By soon, I mean sometime in the next year obviously, because this is a Shonen Jump series and, of course, they can't tell a quick story. I have a guess about how it will end based on something that just happened, but yeah... I'll be so happy when it's over.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby MangaRocks! » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:10 pm

Ouran High School Host Club vol.'s 1-18 (complete) + the extra 'short special' omake from 2010 and the 2 special chapters from 2011 :):

Wow. I knew before I even started reading it that this series begins as a parody and then gets (somewhat ;)) more serious later on; and from all of the things I'd heard others say about it, I expected that it would be good. As it turns out, though, it was not just merely good-- it was excellent! :jump:

The parody and other humor was hysterical :lol::lol::lol:, and the serious elements were surprisingly involving-- everything about it was well-done. (In fact, the only thing that might make me hesitate to give out a blanket recommendation for it is the innuendo level, which is rather high-- though, granted, a good majority of it's done in jest. :P)

To sum it up: When I started reading the series, I did not expect how much I would truly come to love its characters :hug:, nor that it would become one of my favorites... but I did, and it has. Well done, Hatori-sensei! :thumb:
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby ChibiClaws » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:42 pm

I'm reading Fruits Basket! It's weird in more ways than one but I guess that's why I like it so much. :3
ChibiClaws

Postby SierraLea » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:24 pm

I currently am reading
Gakuen Alice
Death Note
Bleach
Pandora Hearts
Fullmetal Alchemist
Tsubasa reservior Chronicle
Magic Knight Rayearth
Dawn of the Arcana
"I tell you, if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out." (Luke 19:37-40).
Exceptionally Ordinary
"No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else." P.T.Barnam
SierraLea

Postby Neane » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:26 pm

The First Chapter of Yūsei Matsui's new manga Assassination Classroom was translated. I liked it and I am hoping it will be as awesome as Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro.

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1573449) wrote:Shoukoku no Altair chapters 23-24

And apparently that's all I'm getting my hands on for now.

How did you like it?
Neane

Postby Neane » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Reading Appleseed. Shirow did a great job at creating a world with history, complex international relationships, and "real" science-fiction (AKA: Lots of pages on the author's vision of the future world, the weapons, etc.)

Plus the drawings gots a lot of details, sometimes a bit too much, fighting sequences tend to be confusing. There are a lot of things going on.
Neane

Postby MoonxDistortion » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:25 pm

Mhm, let's see I'm only reading a few, since I'm not really a manga person.

Ao No Exorcist

Deadman Wonderland

Peach Girl
[color="Blue"]Faintly sparkling blue wires
connect one person to another.
They look beautiful, almost like silk threads.
Could they be the chains also known as "fate"?[/color]
MoonxDistortion

Postby AnimeGirl » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:16 pm

The World Stops! Vol.3 - Interesting things about the characters being revealed! Can't wait to learn more about Candy and Domina!

Dawn of the Arcana, Vol.2 - Loved it, loved it, loved it, already read twice and can't wait for volume 3. Is she....falling for the prince? And what about Loki? To be honest, I kind of want her to be with him, but the Prince is not so annoying anymore.

DREAM Special Issue 2 - Ah, my fellow DREAM mangaka did awesome! Too bad mine wasn't ready for the deadline, LOL. My favorite story was "Together We'll Watch The Fireworks" so simple, yet well written and full of emotion.

Shugo Chara, Vol.1 - Interesting twist in the magical genre. Very cute, can't wait to see where this all goes!

Last Hope, Vol.2 - Loved it....until the ENDING! Such an abrupt end, with nothing resolved. A promising story, ruined by the ending.

AnimeGirl

Postby Neane » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:01 pm

Read Blame-gakuen. It's like BLAME!, but where the entire cast of BLAME! is in a high-school romance comedy setting.
Neane

Postby SierraLea » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:02 am

AnimeGirl (post: 1573454) wrote:Read volume 1 of "A Bride's Story"

Oh my! What LAVISH artwork! I've never seen manga look so beautiful before! Them details *.* And though it is such a simple story, I think that's what makes it a nice little read. It's something to read when you feel like relaxing, and want something pretty to stare at. I do find it kinda awkward for a 20 year old woman to be married to a 12 year old boy, but it probably has something to do with the customs or whatever back then. And she's considered an old bride? Well, back then, probably yeah. I really think Amir is cool! I like it when she uses that bow to hunt!

I read that one after I finished Emma because it was by the same person. I only wish it was a series!
Exceptionally Ordinary
SierraLea

Postby Atria35 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:01 pm

SierraLea (post: 1575529) wrote:I read that one after I finished Emma because it was by the same person. I only wish it was a series!

...? It is a series. Volume 2 is out, and I think v 3 is coming out pretty soon.
Atria35

Postby MangaRocks! » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:17 pm

Kimi ni Todoke vol. 14: [spoiler]Gah-- interrupted (of course :P). Some nice character development with Ayane, though.[/spoiler] And Dawn Of The Arcana vol. 4: [spoiler]I liked this volume. New character Lemiria was both fun and interesting (fun because of her personality, interesting because of her abilities), the stuff with the betrayal and the Arcana was good as well, and there was also a neat little development in Caesar & Nakaba's relationship. Looking forward to the next volume now.[/spoiler]
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby Neane » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:50 pm

Been reading Green Blood by Masasumi Kakizaki, the artist behind Hideout and Rainbow. Set in mid-19th century New York, this grim and action-filled period drama explores the violent gang culture in the notorious Five Points district through the eyes of two Irish immigrant brothers. Kakizaki’s gritty artwork seems uniquely suited to portrait the cruel and unforgiving life during some of the darkest days in this era. His story, while not on the same scale as Scorsese’s movie, is fast-paced and engaging.

Read the 62nd Chapter of Endo Hiroki's All Rounder Meguru.

It is awesome and it does not contain all the sex that is present in the author's previous works and this manga is one of the truest things ever put to page.

After reading Eden: It's an Endless World!, Endo Hiroki has quickly become one of my favorite authors and I have read all of his work thus far. His work is mostly about overcoming distrust of one's self and of others in order to establish meaningful bonds. Obviously this theme is executed through a variety of means, one of which is dialogues or monologues of the characters.

In his work, Endo Hiroki deals with family bonds, romance, and brotherhood the most, but his typical backdrop of sex & violence isn’t really omnipresent. He uses that stuff because it’s the most blatant and easily depicted, I think, but the prime factor in his stories (Eden included) is the visceral power present in the interactions between characters. The more transgressive aspects to his writing show up like explosions in narratives that are already unsettled by mistrust and misguided trust, betrayal, self-delusion, hollow gratification, and denial. In that respect, I don’t think it has so much to do with trying to assert power in a world overridden with violence (since several stories in the Tanpenshu volumes don’t even have violence) but rather just trying to cooperate, bond, and relate to others in a world teetering on the abyss of despair. The violent aspect is there, but I just don’t think it’s the primary focus.
Neane

Postby AnimeGirl » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:01 am

Finished reading Only One Wish. A pretty good one-shot, with each chapter being it's own individual story, all connected by the fact that the main character(s) makes a wish on the cell phone of the dark angel.

It's a total of four chapter, labeled as wish. I really enjoyed Wish 2 the most, and my second favorite was Wish 4! I only wish there was another volume, exploring more wishs, their consequences, and other things. But overall, a pretty good story!

AnimeGirl

Postby SierraLea » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:20 pm

I just read chapters 166 and 167 of Tsubasa Reservior Chronicles. Kurogane is officially my favorite character now! I actually cried!
Exceptionally Ordinary
SierraLea

Postby Neane » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:09 am

Read Amon: The Darkside of The Devilman ...unsure what to think of it. I didn't enjoy it as much as Devilman (Devilman is one of the few manga that actually made me shed tears at the end of it, tears of manliness mind you in Devilman's case, but still tears...[ [The whole thing was Tragic as heck and it was Tragic with a captial T.]) and maybe I need to re-read it.
Neane

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:09 pm

I started reading D.Gray-man, since the anime isn't going to continue on with the rest of the manga storyline. So far I'm on chapter 7...it's going to take me quite a while to catch up to where I was :sweat:

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Neane » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:53 am

My new volumes of Dorohedoro have arrived in the mail (I support manga that I like)...and currently reading them. I've read(ing) all of Dorohedoro that I can find translated and I still have no clue what it is about.
Neane

Postby SierraLea » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:11 pm

Three or four of the series I'm reading are giving me grief. My library doesn't carry the second half, and it's really annoying, because they all ended on cliff hangers! Now I have to try to read them all online, and it's a major pain to find good sites, even though I did manage to find one for Gakuen Alice.
Exceptionally Ordinary
SierraLea

Postby Neane » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:30 am

Currently reading Yamikin Ushijima-kun, now adapted into a movie.

It illustrates just how frightening a relationship between an unforgiving, cold-blooded young loan shark and his lower-class "clients" (most of them gotten deep into debt for a lot of stupid reasons -- such as hard gambling or vainly trying to keep up with the Joneses) can be, in the light of the long economic recession, made even more problematic since 3/11.

To him, business is business, nothing personal, no more, no less, as long debts must be paid on time, and as long Ushijima will try to milk out the idiot debtor dry...

...or terrible and humiliating stuff can happen to the debtor.

The manga also gives some hard facts and figures on the nightmarish heavy price a debtor must pay in the hell he or she made, which can even run into millions.

Even then a hard guy like Ushijima has to deal with other ruthless adversaries -- be it a bunch of teenage thugs, a swindling "yamikin hunter", or the Yakuza -- trying to play hardball in such a complex underworld of the business, a chess game in which whoever comes out victorious gets the spoils.
Neane

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews