What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby Atria35 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:02 pm

SierraLea (post: 1563944) wrote:I second that! There is more than one volume of Natdume's Book of Friends? I could only find the first one.

Amazon is your best friend. Volume 12 comes out on Sunday.
Atria35

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:45 pm

Gin no Saji, a.k.a. Silver Spoon, chapters 40-41: Looks like Hachiken is figuring it out. And LOL at Aki's Dad at the end there. :grin:

Bamboo Blade vol. 13: Well, I actually rather enjoyed this volume, to my pleasant surprise. Regardless, only one more to go now.

Pandora Hearts vol. 10: This volume was pretty intense. Some illuminating backstory was revealed, and there was also some interesting character development in the present. And I was not expecting that thing with Jack at the end...! :wow!:

And Akagami no Shirayuki Hime chapter 34: LOL at all the researchers wanting the chief pharmacist to have come instead. :grin: New characters are interesting. And it looks like something serious is going on there up north...
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Neane » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:39 pm

Cadence (post: 1563071) wrote:
I finally finished Kare Kano, which I started several years ago. It was irritating...it had me rolling my eyes through the first half and laughing in not a good way during the "suddenly drama!" second half...plus the characters all have the same face, so I couldn't tell them apart for the first half of the series...and to top it all, the the only character I liked [spoiler]ended up with their baby?!...ok[/spoiler] lol, never reading that again.

Cadence (post: 1563968) wrote:
Haha, yeah, I was thinking the female lead was the male lead and vice versa and getting all of their friends mixed up in a lot of the panels for a long time at the beginning. The reason I picked it up was because I'd heard really good things about it through the years, but honestly I didn't think it was very good at all. I guess some people will like it, but...I would never recommend it to anyone, and in fact have steered a few people away from it recently. :p

Finally, someone who agrees with me about the Kare Kano manga. Personally, I loathed it and I thought that I was taking crazy pills all this time due to the fact that so many people like it.

Also, finished Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind.

And I have to say:
No other comic I've read layers so many thematic complexities in such intricate ways throughout the narrative, wholesale embraces multi-faceted symbolism that defies easy or simple explanation, maintains a strong emphasis and drive in the characters yet balances this with heavy and at times overwhelming broader plot dynamics, and sculpts an epic narrative worthy of comparison to some of the best-written stories ever conceived. And that's not even getting to Miyazaki's artwork, either.

Also I am reading The Ravages of Time .

History is written by the victor. A brutally realistic take on the Three Kingdoms Period of Chinese history, Ravages plays more Legend of Galactic Heroes than Dynasty Warriors. Ravages is the one true followup for fans of LOGH.

Also reading The World is Mine.

It's about two home-grown terroists who travel through the Northern Islands on a killing spree; coincidentally a giant, godzilla-like bear rampages through Japan as well.

Within its first frames it establishes itself as a surreal, fast-paced thriller; it's a confusing mess. Calm scenes quickly unfold into brutal murders...the art often looks unraveled and chaotic; plenty of unflattering violence too. A multitude of characters come along for the ride, none of them sterile...all of them perhaps being some thematic caricature? Who knows. You have to read this series right from the beginning as soon as you finish its last frames: the scope becomes so grandiose and exaggerated that you can't help but feel that the journey was more than just a simple series of events. More-so a depiction of a criminally deranged thought process.

This is the only manga I have read thus far that rivals the AKIRA manga in cinematic terms.
Neane

Postby AnimeGirl » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:06 pm

I re-read volume 5 of Kimi ni Todoke. I just love this series to death <3

I also read a few chapters of Pandora Hearts. This series is a bit weird and hard to understand, yet holds my interest!
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:47 pm

Shoukoku no Altair chapters 14-16 - Ooooh, things are really heating up now! :grin:
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Cadence » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:46 pm

I finished reading Fushigi Yugi last night. I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected I would. There were several things that I didn't like about it, but for the most part it was pretty fun. I liked Nuriko. A lot. I think most of the enjoyment I got out of the series was due to...her. I wish the story had officially ended ended at volume 13, though - I thought it was a good ending, and I felt the last 5 volumes didn't really contribute anything.
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6
Cadence

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:48 am

Work and poor internet have kept me from CAA for a while. This is one of the threads I actually read through entirely to catch up. A few highlights:
- Someone here recommended Shoukoku no Altair and from the few volumes I've been able to read of it, I'm glad they did. There's actual worldbuilding.
- Ich, I'm glad you liked Vinland Saga. I have high expectations for this series.
- Is Shingeki no Kyojin still going? I haven't seen it since chapter 27, but that may simply be my source.
uc pseudonym

Postby blkmage » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:45 am

Yes, Shingeki no Kyojin is up to 33 now, probably 34 some time in the next few days, and still amazing.
blkmage

Postby Sapphire225 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:47 pm

I'm reading Gokukoku No Brynhildr. Its made by the same guy that made Elfen Lied, and so far, I'm loving it! Just finished chapter 16.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:16 am

blkmage wrote:Yes, Shingeki no Kyojin is up to 33 now, probably 34 some time in the next few days, and still amazing.

Having just finished the newest chapters... indeed it is. The whole arc going outside the walls was so much more worth it than I was thinking, and once they broke open the wall...
uc pseudonym

Postby Atria35 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:41 am

Eternal Sabbath v 1-5- Definitely an interesting series so far! Slow, but it does so with some meaning, exploring how to deal with people and save them from themselves, the morality of what would happen if people could read minds and how they used their powers.
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:24 am

Ao no Exorcist volumes 1-3
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun volumes 1-3

AoEx is pretty much the same as the anime only maybe a bit more condensed. It's still pretty fun and good and makes wish the anime had gotten it's terrible anime-only ending, but I look forward to checking out more, especially when I hit the anime-only stuff. Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun is possibly the most straight-up shoujo thing I've read, and I'm enjoying it. I wouldn't rank it anywhere near the top of my favorites, but the character interactions are enjoyable and the art is pretty good.

I've also been keeping up with Silver Spoon, Nisekoi, Sengoku Youko, and Shingeki no Kyojin. Should we make a thread for that last one now, do we have enough people for that, or should we just flip out in this thread every time a new chapter comes out.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Neane » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:49 pm

Tokyo Kushu is pretty entertaining thus far.
Neane

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:12 pm

Bakuman vol. 11: Yet another fantastic volume! :jump: And Nizuma is truly awesome. :grin: I mean, I've always loved his character, but I adored him even more than usual here (particularly during the 'rescue' bit, LOL :lol:). And, of course, everyone else was their usual interesting/amusing selves, too. ;) And then that latter half, when everyone's one-upping each other... oh man. Can't wait for the next volume!
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Neane » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:24 pm

Read the newest chapter of Berserk. [spoiler]I can understand how people did not like the flashback, but I believe that Miura is using it as a short bridge before Elfhelm, it gives Guts some introspective, probably introduces some elf-related element that will come into play in Elfhelm, and we get to see Gambino again. The thought of "flashback" is repulsive, but on its own, I liked reading this part more than most of the sea god part, which will be better read as a whole. Miura makes pieces fit into the whole, he just takes a long time to give us the pieces.[/spoiler]
Also, Zodd is the cutest Berserk character.
Neane

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:51 pm

Re-read v 1-6 of Ikigami. This one really gets me in the gut, just a wonderful series that I really get into.
Atria35

Postby Neane » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:08 pm

^
I saw the movie, it was pretty good. I still need to read the manga.

Anyway,
Started reading Innocents Shounen Juujigun . It is about the Children's Crusade of 1202 AD back in the medieval era.
Neane

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:35 pm

Neane (post: 1568042) wrote:Anyway,
Started reading Innocents Shounen Juujigun . It is about the Children's Crusade of 1202 AD back in the medieval era.

That sounds amazing. I shall put that on my to-read list as well!
Atria35

Postby Neane » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:54 pm

Atria35 (post: 1568045) wrote:That sounds amazing. I shall put that on my to-read list as well!

Hope you like it when you read it.
Neane

Postby AnimeGirl » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:48 pm

Read the rest of volume 3 of NG Life. I love this story so much! Once again.....poor Keidai.
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

AnimeGirl

Postby Atria35 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:38 am

Eien no With - Oh, did the tears flow for this one! It's the story of a girl who raises a guide dog for the first year of its life. She falls in love with him, he brings her out of her shell... and then they have to part. The two chapters after deal with her getting him back when he retires and how she feels jealous and sad about not being as loved (supposedly) when he comes back, and the last one... *cry*

White Rain - That was amazing. No, seriously, that was amazing.
Atria35

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:23 pm

Shoukoku no Altair chapters 17-19

Gin no Saji chapter 41
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby AnimeGirl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:42 pm

Started on volume 3 of NG Life. This story just gets more interesting as it moves along!

AnimeGirl

Postby Atria35 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:49 am

AnimeGirl (post: 1568057) wrote:Read the rest of volume 3 of NG Life. I love this story so much! Once again.....poor Keidai.

AnimeGirl (post: 1568307) wrote:Started on volume 3 of NG Life. This story just gets more interesting as it moves along!

TIME TRAVELER! xD (j/k, btw glad you're enjoying it)

Cross Game v 1-9 (or 1-4 in the English release omnibuses) - Cute. It's really very cute. It's not really my thing, I'm enjoyig it, but it doesn't really seem to be all that and a bag of chips.
Atria35

Postby Jolly Roger » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:34 am

Magi 81
Jojo's Bizzare Adventure 280
Toriko 191
One Piece 671
Berserk 328
Soul Eater 99

Manga chapters I've read this week. :thumb:
Jolly Roger

Postby Neane » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:11 am

Atria35 (post: 1568144) wrote:
White Rain - That was amazing. No, seriously, that was amazing.

White Rain is truly amazing.
Neane

Postby Neane » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:31 pm

Kiichi!!
DAT FIST.
Kiichi is GAR.
As with The World is Mine, the first volume was be a bit slow, but once you get to the second volume it just keeps getting better and better.

D'V
This manga should be launched into a far-off star to burn. The star should then be launched into an anti-matter black hole for total and complete annihilation.
It is that bad.
Neane

Postby Jolly Roger » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:59 am

Shingeki no Kyojin chapter 13-18.

Now that... [spoiler]....Eren has been moppin' fools up in Titan mode this is actually beginning to feel more like a shounen than a seinen.[/spoiler]
Jolly Roger

Postby SierraLea » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:01 pm

I just started Death Note because it was by the same Author as Bakuman, and it's totally awesome, though if my sisters see one of the characters they'd get nightmares for a week.

I just finished volume 19 and 20 of Bleach, and they were both seriously good.
Tsubasa is driving me crazy! I need to find out about Syoran, or I'll drive myself crazy!
"I tell you, if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out." (Luke 19:37-40).
Exceptionally Ordinary
"No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else." P.T.Barnam
SierraLea

Postby Neane » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:25 am

Read Bokko in my search of Eastern Historical manga after finishing Shigurui.

It was a great read.
Neane

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews