What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby Vii » Sun May 20, 2012 1:53 pm

Dengeki Daisy - 12-13
I love this. :3 It's not perfect, but it's good for a typical shoujo.
[spoiler] Major lolz at Teru sending Kurosaki a picture of a "sexy, pretty girl with big boobs in a swimsuit."
And hearing, er, reading, Time After Time was awesome. I like that song, I hear it on the radio pretty often, it was fun to see it in a manga. The lyrics match Daisy's purpose pretty well too (I assume that was the intention.)[/spoiler]
Vii

Postby metolosophy » Sun May 20, 2012 8:25 pm

Kokoro Library. I'm halfway done; its cute but has no real purpose (in a sense). I'mma try the anime when I finish up, since it looks promising.
Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise.
Better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

metolosophy

Postby Atria35 » Mon May 21, 2012 8:37 am

[quote="metolosophy (post: 1559916)"]Kokoro Library. I'm halfway done]

I hear it's very much the same as the manga.

Arisa v 6- I need to go back and re-read the first 5 volumes, I'm a little lost. However, this exchanged mystery polot for character development, and worked out pretty well for it.
Atria35

Postby seaglass27 » Mon May 21, 2012 10:21 am

OHSHC, courtesy of the lovely Atria.
seaglass27

Postby Vii » Mon May 21, 2012 5:52 pm

Dengeki Daisy - 45
Hmmm...another arc? Well then, I wonder where this'll go.

KUROSAKI WITH GLASSES! *dies* /fangirling
Vii

Postby Vii » Tue May 22, 2012 8:49 pm

Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan - Read the whole story (It's kind of like a one-shot, only 8 chapters).
I decided to read this after seeing it was ranked number one for manga ratings on MAL. I thought "Oh, it's probably something that everyone just loves. Something sweet and charming with a good story. Eh, I'll try it."
In actuality, it was more amazing that I thought it would be. I nearly cried while reading it, which is itself a remarkable feat.
Eh, I'll come up with something more cohesive later...
Vii

Postby Atria35 » Wed May 23, 2012 7:13 am

Vii (post: 1560777) wrote:Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan - Read the whole story (It's kind of like a one-shot, only 8 chapters).
I decided to read this after seeing it was ranked number one for manga ratings on MAL. I thought "Oh, it's probably something that everyone just loves. Something sweet and charming with a good story. Eh, I'll try it."
In actuality, it was more amazing that I thought it would be. I nearly cried while reading it, which is itself a remarkable feat.
Eh, I'll come up with something more cohesive later...

Welcome to the club. I have to say, it deserves to be at the top for a reason. It's amazing.
Atria35

Postby SierraLea » Thu May 24, 2012 7:33 am

I'm going crazy over Bakuman. I can't wait to get the next volume from my Library.
I'm reading a bunch of other ones too, but they're not nearly as interesting as this one.
"I tell you, if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out." (Luke 19:37-40).
Exceptionally Ordinary
"No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else." P.T.Barnam
SierraLea

Postby Atria35 » Thu May 24, 2012 7:47 am

Bury The Old In Tokyo - this was so utterly depressing and rather pointless. I didn't like it.
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Thu May 24, 2012 1:30 pm

Are you referring to Abandon the Old in Tokyo, or is this a different work, because if so, I have something to plug that might make you appreciate it more.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Atria35 » Thu May 24, 2012 2:57 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1561336) wrote:Are you referring to Abandon the Old in Tokyo, or is this a different work, because if so, I have something to plug that might make you appreciate it more.

Ugh, I mean 'Abandon'. My brain has been on vacation lately! xD
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Thu May 24, 2012 3:02 pm

Here is a fairly interesting discussion about the cultural context of AtOiT and how it relates to manga and what it is today. You might appreciate it more after listening. It's the first review, so if you skip past the emails/outdated news you can listen to just that, or maybe you'll discover a podcast you like! Incredible!

/shameless plug
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Vii » Sat May 26, 2012 5:27 pm

Soul Eater 98 - I wish that enemy person girl would stop looking so overly suggestive. I know this is a manga for boys, but still...
And Death the Kid is still awesome.

Silver Spoon 40 - I'm still wondering where this plot is going. I honestly can't predict anything.

Someday's Dreamers Vol.1 - I saw this at the library and decided to check it out. Haven't read it yet, but it looks cool.
Vii

Postby _GazeRockMei_ » Sat May 26, 2012 8:43 pm

Still reading: Dengeki Daisy, Naruto, Kuroshitsuji, Pandora Hearts, Love So Life, and Stardust Wink as they're updated.
_GazeRockMei_

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat May 26, 2012 9:27 pm

Gin no Saji chapter 40 - Yay overreactions! :lol:

Shoukoku no Altair chapters 10-11 - Well, I am disappoint. Turns out they are trying to tell me that there are Turks with blonde hair :shady: I almost wish they'd just made up the name of this country too, since they're being so free with all the geography, history, religion, and just about everything else. This isn't Turkiye. It's a fictional country based on the real Turkiye, and that would be a lot clearer if they didn't act like it was the real thing. Oh well. I'm getting over that disappointment, and now will sit back and enjoy the story itself.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby CrystalChalice » Sun May 27, 2012 6:39 am

Fairy Tail chapters 273-284: This arc just keeps getting more awesome, and I'm loving it. Special mention goes to Erza in regards to the latest chapter.
Whatever the season in life, the RIGHT attitude makes all the difference.

"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth."
Psalm 121:1-2

"Though our paths may have diverged, you must continue to live out your life with all your might; you must never consider your own life to be something insignificant, and you must never forget about the friends whom you loved for as long as you live."
The Third Rule of Fairy Tail

"Mistakes are not shackles that halt one from stepping forward. Rather, they are that which sustain and grow one's heart.
Mavis Vermilion, Fairy Tail

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.
Avatar Aang, The Legend of Korra
CrystalChalice

Postby impact777 » Sun May 27, 2012 9:08 am

Bakuman vol. 14 Brilliant!
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
impact777

Postby AnimeGirl » Sun May 27, 2012 11:13 am

Dawn of the Arcana, Vol.1 - I am impressed with this series! Interesting story, and a well made fantasy realm. And I think Loki (the princess's servant) is definitely my favorite character (he's awesome....as well as attractive). The main character girl is pretty interesting....I wonder what kind of power she has, having all those dreams and feelings? Will definitely be following this! I am so happy my friend gave it to me ^.^
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby seaglass27 » Sun May 27, 2012 12:31 pm

I just finished Goth.
seaglass27

Postby Cadence » Tue May 29, 2012 5:20 pm

I'm on a quest to find shoujo manga I like, but haven't been too lucky with my choices lately. I recently completed three shoujo series...two of which I thought were pretty awful, and one I really liked.

I finally finished Kare Kano, which I started several years ago. It was irritating...it had me rolling my eyes through the first half and laughing in not a good way during the "suddenly drama!" second half...plus the characters all have the same face, so I couldn't tell them apart for the first half of the series...and to top it all, the the only character I liked [spoiler]ended up with their baby?!...ok[/spoiler] lol, never reading that again.

Land of the Blindfolded was completely unmemorable...I read it over the past two days - the last three volumes I just read this morning - and I already forgot all of the characters' names and what happened in the first few volumes.

Karakuri Odette, however, I enjoyed a lot. It's a new favorite I can add to the small list of shoujo series that I really like.

Next I'm going to finish Fushigi Yuugi, which I started a while ago but had to put on hold since couldn't get my hands on the rest of the volumes. We'll see how it goes.
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6
Cadence

Postby seaglass27 » Wed May 30, 2012 10:34 am

What was Land of the Blindfolded about? It sounds intriguing.

I just finished a collection of psychological oneshots called Fetish. Great stuff! Pretty clean, too, except for chapter three which has tons of nudity and a really disturbing scene. I recommend you skip that part.
seaglass27

Postby SierraLea » Wed May 30, 2012 8:13 pm

impact777 (post: 1562240) wrote:Bakuman vol. 14 Brilliant!

Stop teasing me!;) I'm only on Volume 7, and now I'm really going crazy!!!
Exceptionally Ordinary
SierraLea

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed May 30, 2012 8:36 pm

Azamaru volume 1 by Tamaki Ippei. Kagekiyo vs demon-Yoshitsune? Don't mind if I do.

EDIT:
Well... Just finished the 4th and last book of the series (there's supposed to be a part two someday.) Well... Tamaki seems to be a bit of a pervert. For the first 3 books, there were only two images of female nudity. A pointless bit of fan-service that was quickly over. In the fourth book there's a creepy and pointless rape scene and the heroine is bound up in ropes for the remainder of the series. Why the series went into the depraved deep end I have no idea... I enjoyed the first three books a lot though. The artwork is awesome. :\

I finally finished Kare Kano, which I started several years ago. It was irritating...it had me rolling my eyes through the first half and laughing in not a good way during the "suddenly drama!" second half...plus the characters all have the same face, so I couldn't tell them apart for the first half of the series...and to top it all, the the only character I liked

Same face? The worst cases of same face I've ever come across are from Arina Tanemura. I've never been so confused reading manga until her. Kare Kano always seem to get a ton of praise. Sounds like I might not be missing much?
Shao Feng-Li

Postby AnimeGirl » Thu May 31, 2012 9:19 pm

Read volume 5 of Natsume's Book of Friends. AMAZING AS EVER! This series never ceases to get me all teary eyed with it's heart-warming stories <3 And each time, it just gets more interesting. I really loved the two-parter story, that was kind of intense!
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby impact777 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:26 am

[quote="SierraLea (post: 1563408)"]Stop teasing me!]

In my opinion each volume is brilliant. ;)
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
impact777

Postby SierraLea » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:40 am

[quote="impact777 (post: 1563913)"]In my opinion each volume is brilliant. ]

I second that! There is more than one volume of Natdume's Book of Friends? I could only find the first one.
Exceptionally Ordinary
SierraLea

Postby Cadence » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:46 am

Otaku Jordan (post: 1563275) wrote:What was Land of the Blindfolded about? It sounds intriguing.
It was about a girl who can see the future sometimes when she touches people. She meets a couple of boys who have similar gifts, and each of them have to learn how to deal with their gift. It could have probably been really interesting, but it's mostly just a typical shoujo high school romance.

Shao Feng-Li (post: 1563419) wrote:Same face? The worst cases of same face I've ever come across are from Arina Tanemura. I've never been so confused reading manga until her. Kare Kano always seem to get a ton of praise. Sounds like I might not be missing much?
Haha, yeah, I was thinking the female lead was the male lead and vice versa and getting all of their friends mixed up in a lot of the panels for a long time at the beginning. The reason I picked it up was because I'd heard really good things about it through the years, but honestly I didn't think it was very good at all. I guess some people will like it, but...I would never recommend it to anyone, and in fact have steered a few people away from it recently. :p
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6
Cadence

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:15 am

Shoukoku no Altair chapters 12-13
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby blkmage » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:27 am

Okay, fine, I'll bite. I like Kare Kano a lot and think it is good. Not only that, but I think it is (still) the best shoujo manga.
blkmage

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:50 am

blkmage (post: 1564008) wrote:...I think it is (still) the best shoujo manga.
Have you read Amatsuki? :)
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews