Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Maokun » Sun May 06, 2012 7:38 am

Brizee-chan (post: 1554906) wrote:Can someone reccommend some anime for one who loves cutesy stuff/mahou shojou(magical girl)/shojou?
No nudity and stuff like that, and minimal cursing please. :sweat:

Card Captor Sakura, in case you haven't seen it.

[quote="Cianter (post: 1555334)"]Ok, this is a weird request thingy, whatever:P Anyways, do you guys know of any animes that have, like........animals? Like not normal animals, like fantasy animals and such, I'm just in a real animaly mood]

Pokemon? :P Or maybe Monster Rancher. That one deserves much more hype than the one it gets.

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby Atria35 » Sun May 06, 2012 10:25 am

MightiMidget (post: 1555517) wrote: and pitching Monster in spite of Atria's warning... According to Hulu the dub is TV-14, whereas the sub is TV-MA. I would guess that'd mean the dub would have cut out a lot of the sexual content. (There's strip clubs, brief sexual scenes and an off-camera rape) This may, by some standards, mean the dub ruined the series and it's not worth watching if it is edited? But it's just a thought. :)

I've looked over sevreal reviews from people who've seen both the dub and the sub versions, and no one has said anything about there being cuts or changes to the story. This might be one of those odd cases where there are two different ratings for the same story.
Atria35

Postby MightiMidget » Sun May 06, 2012 3:54 pm

Atria35 (post: 1555584) wrote:I've looked over sevreal reviews from people who've seen both the dub and the sub versions, and no one has said anything about there being cuts or changes to the story. This might be one of those odd cases where there are two different ratings for the same story.

Huh. :blink: I wonder then. I'm tempted to watch both now (even though I don't like the dub). Good to know though!
MightiMidget

Postby Atria35 » Sun May 06, 2012 5:33 pm

MightiMidget (post: 1555664) wrote:Huh. :blink: I wonder then. I'm tempted to watch both now (even though I don't like the dub).

I know, right?! It's been *forever* since I've watched Monster, so I might end up marathoning it once my finals are over!
Atria35

Postby Neane » Mon May 07, 2012 2:40 am

Cianter (post: 1555334) wrote:Ok, this is a weird request thingy, whatever:P Anyways, do you guys know of any animes that have, like........animals? Like not normal animals, like fantasy animals and such, I'm just in a real animaly mood]

Maokun (post: 1555565) wrote:Digimon Tamers

Fix'd that for you, Maokun. :P
Neane

Postby Maokun » Mon May 07, 2012 7:33 am

Atria35 (post: 1555689) wrote:I know, right?! It's been *forever* since I've watched Monster, so I might end up marathoning it once my finals are over!

Not before Evangelion, you won't. Unless you want your life to become a hell of crappy annotated .jpgs :P

*shakes fist at Neane's hijacking*

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
Maokun

Postby Atria35 » Mon May 07, 2012 7:45 am

Maokun (post: 1555789) wrote:Not before Evangelion, you won't. Unless you want your life to become a hell of crappy annotated .jpgs :P

Don't woory, that will be finished first! :thumb: And then Heroic Age, and then Monster. Summer should be interesting!
Atria35

Postby Cianter » Mon May 07, 2012 8:19 am

Atria35 (post: 1555792) wrote:Don't woory, that will be finished first! :thumb: And then Heroic Age, and then Monster. Summer should be interesting!

Heroic age is awesome, definitely one worth watching:). Ok, so, what would you guys say is the cleanest, best Gundam? I've seen Gundam SEED and I love that one, so which one would you guys suggest for me to watch next?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][color="DarkOrchid"]Yes, I'm a girl. I push doors that clearly say PULL. I laugh harder when I try to explain why I'm laughing. I walk into a room and forget why I went in there. I count on my fingers in math class. I try to accomplish things when there is still time on the microwave. I lie sometimes to hide the pain. I say it's a long story when it's really not.[/color]

[color="Yellow"]When you're home alone: 10%-Say "who is it" 64%-Look through the peep hole then open it if you know them 25%-Open the door 1%-Crawl around on the ground like a ninja and look through the window very quietly to make sure it isn't a masked murderer. I'm that 1%[/color]

[color="Red"]I'm so talented I can fall up stairs, trip on flat surfaces, and get hit by parked cars XD[/color]

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Cianter
Cianter

Postby Atria35 » Mon May 07, 2012 8:26 am

Cianter (post: 1555798) wrote:Heroic age is awesome, definitely one worth watching:).

I've already seen 10 episodes, have it on hold. Can't help you on the Gundam, though - sorry!
Atria35

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon May 07, 2012 10:04 am

Cianter (post: 1555798) wrote:Ok, so, what would you guys say is the cleanest, best Gundam? I've seen Gundam SEED and I love that one, so which one would you guys suggest for me to watch next?
Hmm...the issue here is that most of the Gundam series I consider to be the best aren't necessarily clean, nor are they particularly like Gundam SEED.

The cleanest I've seen are Mobile Fighter G Gundam (seen 31 of the 49 episodes) and the currently airing Gundam AGE (seen 30 episodes). I consider Zeta Gundam and the original Mobile Suit Gundam to be the best, though, with 0080 and X just behind. These four either contain brief nudity or graphic-ish violence, however.

If you liked SEED, then I'd suggest watching some of the newer stuff. Gundam 00 would probably scratch your itch, and the dub is streaming for free on CrunchyRoll.

Of course, SEED is meant to be a modern retelling of the original Mobile Suit Gundam, so you could also go in that direction. There are a couple of instances of brief nudity, though, and the sensibilities of the series differ from SEED's. However, I consider the original to be the superior work. Though the dub of the TV series is streaming freely on YouTube and CrunchyRoll, I find that the compilation movie trilogy is the best way to take in the story of Mobile Suit Gundam. It's available for cheap on Amazon and Rightstuf.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Cianter » Mon May 07, 2012 11:37 am

Atria35 (post: 1555801) wrote:I've already seen 10 episodes, have it on hold. Can't help you on the Gundam, though - sorry!

Don't worry about it Atria:)
TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1555807) wrote:Hmm...the issue here is that most of the Gundam series I consider to be the best aren't necessarily clean, nor are they particularly like Gundam SEED.

The cleanest I've seen are Mobile Fighter G Gundam (seen 31 of the 49 episodes) and the currently airing Gundam AGE (seen 30 episodes). I consider Zeta Gundam and the original Mobile Suit Gundam to be the best, though, with 0080 and X just behind. These four either contain brief nudity or graphic-ish violence, however.

If you liked SEED, then I'd suggest watching some of the newer stuff. Gundam 00 would probably scratch your itch, and the dub is streaming for free on CrunchyRoll.

Of course, SEED is meant to be a modern retelling of the original Mobile Suit Gundam, so you could also go in that direction. There are a couple of instances of brief nudity, though, and the sensibilities of the series differ from SEED's. However, I consider the original to be the superior work. Though the dub of the TV series is streaming freely on YouTube and CrunchyRoll, I find that the compilation movie trilogy is the best way to take in the story of Mobile Suit Gundam. It's available for cheap on Amazon and Rightstuf.

Ok, great, thanks so much:D this is really helpful:)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][color="DarkOrchid"]Yes, I'm a girl. I push doors that clearly say PULL. I laugh harder when I try to explain why I'm laughing. I walk into a room and forget why I went in there. I count on my fingers in math class. I try to accomplish things when there is still time on the microwave. I lie sometimes to hide the pain. I say it's a long story when it's really not.[/color]

[color="Yellow"]When you're home alone: 10%-Say "who is it" 64%-Look through the peep hole then open it if you know them 25%-Open the door 1%-Crawl around on the ground like a ninja and look through the window very quietly to make sure it isn't a masked murderer. I'm that 1%[/color]

[color="Red"]I'm so talented I can fall up stairs, trip on flat surfaces, and get hit by parked cars XD[/color]

Cianter

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue May 08, 2012 9:37 am

Cianter (post: 1555815) wrote:Ok, great, thanks so much:D this is really helpful:)
Be sure to let us know which one you go with and how it goes for you. I'm always interested in the experiences of new fans of Gundam.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Cianter » Tue May 08, 2012 10:29 am

Well, I decided to go with Gundam 00, but I've only seen 2 episodes so far, however, so far I LOVE it:). One thing that really drew me in was the similarities between this and Gundam SEED. Just the action and characters are very similar, but more than that, so far there are three voice actors from SEED which oddly enough I like very much:). I guess I just like the newer Gundams because I tried some of the older ones and they seemed kinda boring, but that's just me:). But I looked on several site including this one and I really couldn't find anything about the content, so before I really get into 00, is there any info that any of you guys have on the content? Any help would be appreciated:D

Cianter

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue May 08, 2012 11:36 am

Cianter (post: 1556127) wrote:before I really get into 00, is there any info that any of you guys have on the content? Any help would be appreciated:D
Someone else can fill in any gaps I leave because I don't remember everything, but, while I don't recall any nudity, there are tight/revealing outfits aplenty. There's some blood (people get shot and die) and some psychological issues (some characters are clearly disturbed and have bouts of hysteria). That is all I can recall at the moment.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby DecooPunk » Sat May 12, 2012 8:09 am

Looking for a anime like doctor who?
I don't mean with a time traveling dude and all that but just something that is sort of the same.
And it has to be tv-14 or lower with perferably not a lot of cussing and no yaoi or yuri.
thank^^
DecooPunk

Postby Maokun » Sat May 12, 2012 9:22 am

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. You cannot go wrong with that one.

Maokun

Postby SierraLea » Mon May 14, 2012 4:04 pm

Iwas walking around in my library and picked up this manga called Bakuman. here wer volumes 1 & 2, so took them home and read both in a matter of hours. It was that good. Has anyone ever heard of this, and can tell me whether it goes sour or not?
"I tell you, if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out." (Luke 19:37-40).
Exceptionally Ordinary
"No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else." P.T.Barnam
SierraLea

Postby Atria35 » Tue May 15, 2012 12:15 pm

SierraLea (post: 1557842) wrote:Iwas walking around in my library and picked up this manga called Bakuman. here wer volumes 1 & 2, so took them home and read both in a matter of hours. It was that good. Has anyone ever heard of this, and can tell me whether it goes sour or not?

This is an unbearably popular manga. It's a great series, the only thing to worry about is in one volume there's a slight part about fanservice (the editor wants the girl author that comes in at some point to do it to draw in readers) and it disgusts her. But it's really glossed over and unimportant.

PS- there's a 'manga recommendations thread' in that section of the board that you should post inquiries about manga it.
Atria35

Postby seaglass27 » Thu May 17, 2012 6:50 pm

Does anyone know of any anime (or manga) about sumo wrestling? I think that would be interesting.

/600th post
seaglass27

Postby Maokun » Fri May 18, 2012 8:34 pm

I don't know an anime or manga about sumo, but Rurouni Kenshin's anime has a short arc about a sumo wrestler.

Maokun

Postby Hugo Bernhardt » Sun May 20, 2012 8:23 pm

Atria35 (post: 1558080) wrote:This is an unbearably popular manga. It's a great series, the only thing to worry about is in one volume there's a slight part about fanservice (the editor wants the girl author that comes in at some point to do it to draw in readers) and it disgusts her. But it's really glossed over and unimportant.

PS- there's a 'manga recommendations thread' in that section of the board that you should post inquiries about manga it.

The storyline about adding fanservice seemed to go on and on for episode after episode in the second season of the Anime, and was big part of why we dropped it from our anime night. The first series was fantastic, though.
Hugo Bernhardt

Postby Hugo Bernhardt » Sun May 20, 2012 8:25 pm

My Anime group really really liked Blue Exorcist. Is there something similar - at least as far as the mix of drama, comedy, and action. Everything we're watching right now is all joe serious and we need something lighter in the mix.
Hugo Bernhardt

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun May 20, 2012 8:27 pm

Soul Eater immediately comes to mind.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Atria35 » Mon May 21, 2012 8:40 am

Hugo Bernhardt (post: 1559915) wrote:The storyline about adding fanservice seemed to go on and on for episode after episode in the second season of the Anime, and was big part of why we dropped it from our anime night. The first series was fantastic, though.

It doesn't happen like that in the manga, so there's a big difference between it and the anime, apparently.
Atria35

Postby Hugo Bernhardt » Mon May 21, 2012 8:41 am

Soul Easter, ok.
Any other suggestions ?
Hugo Bernhardt

Postby Atria35 » Mon May 21, 2012 9:03 am

Hugo Bernhardt (post: 1560063) wrote:Soul Easter, ok.
Any other suggestions ?

Beelzebub and Fairy Tail

Ity's worth noting that the fanservice is decently high in Soul eater for the first 4-6 eps, and then drops down to almost nothing.
Atria35

Postby Maokun » Mon May 21, 2012 8:45 pm

Try One Piece. It's mostly comedy + action but the few dramatic parts are really great.

Maokun

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue May 22, 2012 6:26 am

Hugo Bernhardt (post: 1560063) wrote:Soul Easter, ok.
Any other suggestions ?
Ao no Exorcist (aka Blue Exorcist). It's a pretty decent, actiony "cool shounen" sort of show. Most of the shounen I'm currently watching or have watched lately is either completely nuts, old style or both; however Ao no Exorcist hits fairly close to the mark of what you'll likely want. Also, it's available to stream legally and fo free in a bunch of places.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Atria35 » Tue May 22, 2012 6:31 am

[quote="TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1560446)"]Ao no Exorcist (aka Blue Exorcist). It's a pretty decent, actiony "cool shounen" sort of show. Most of the shounen I'm currently watching or have watched lately is either completely nuts, old style or both]

In his original post he says he's looking for anime close to Blue Excorcist since they all liked it :sweat:
Atria35

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue May 22, 2012 6:44 am

Atria35 (post: 1560452) wrote:In his original post he says he's looking for anime close to Blue Excorcist since they all liked it :sweat:

*playing it cool on the outside* Oh, my bad.

*mortified on the inside* DOH!!!!!

TheSubtleDoctor

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews