Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Atria35 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:20 am

DecooPunk (post: 1546287) wrote:looking for a anime like origin sprits of the past or sprited away.

I can see you've already been recommended Mushishi and Natsume via the thread you made, so
My Neighbor Totoro has a bit of this
Princess Mononoke (if you've seen the LoTR movies, then you can handle the violence in this movie)
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (this has less gore than Princess Mononoke, but it's still there. The main scene to be worried about was very brief and bloodess)
Kemono no Souja Erin
Earth Maiden Arjuna (I remember this being pretty clean, perhaps a few swears - in the dub, since I watched that - but it's been a while so I can't remember exact details)
Shangri-La (this has some implications of violence. I watched to about episode 8 or 9 because it wasn't my thing, so I can't speak to the entire series, but there were a few people wounded onscreen)
Atria35

Postby Maokun » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:33 am

Zeldafan2 (post: 1545539) wrote:A. Science fiction, with maybe a little bit of romance (but nothing overtly sexual or anything.)
B. A highschool themed show(besides Ouran, I have been told far too much about that) that has some elements of comedy, and or has a interesting sub plot wrapped into it.
C. An action adventure series, with some sort of grand quest theme involved.

These three conditions decribe almost perfectly Code Geass. However, there's a bit of fanservice here and there and a couple of short, non-explicit (mostly implied) sexual scenes.

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:37 pm

Maokun (post: 1546382) wrote:These three conditions decribe almost perfectly Code Geass. However, there's a bit of fanservice here and there and a couple of short, non-explicit (mostly implied) sexual scenes.
loooooooooooooool, Code Geass has a bit of fanservice here and there? Regardless of what you think of Geass's quality(or lack thereof), it is pretty service-y for both men and women.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby AngelicTotoro » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:24 pm

Actually, I've been meaning to ask about the religious content in Code Geass 1 and 2.
(I'm already willing to over-look the fanservice if the series ends up being good enough.)
Besides, I ended up loving TMOHS even though it had some very irritating cases of fanservice, so I'm willing to do the same for this.
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby Neane » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:24 pm

It has been three years since I watched Code Geass. [Really need to re-watch it.]
[spoiler]The only thing I remember in terms of religious content is that the bad guys were working on creating a machine that would destroy God [And they of course fail and it gets destroyed].. That is all I remember.[/spoiler]
Neane

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:02 pm

Looking for a anime with little to no fan service. I'd also like no yao/yuri, but if it's just a little, then it's okay.

Something with some good action and a romance sub-plot.

The genre I prefer this time is science fiction. Maybe even a mecha. But no horrors, please. Thanks :)
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”-Oscar Wilde

“Books change us. Books save us. I know this because it happened to me.”Elif Shafak

"Don't stop unbelieving, never give into your unfeelings"-Mabel Pines, Gravity Falls
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby Atria35 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:47 am

SincerelyAnomymous (post: 1546875) wrote:The genre I prefer this time is science fiction. Maybe even a mecha. But no horrors, please. Thanks :)

Real Drive. There is some *very slight* fanservice, but it's rare and barely there when it is. Romance between some important side characters.
Dennou Coil. Comepletely clean. No romance.
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:13 am

Well, there's a little romance in Dennou Coil, but it's mostly just b'awww side stuff and it's a great show, so you should definitely check it out.

Other good SF stuff would be Macross Frontier, Eureka Seven, Xam'd, Birdy the Mighty: Decode, and FLCL.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:01 pm

SincerelyAnomymous (post: 1546875) wrote:Looking for a anime with little to no fan service. I'd also like no yao/yuri, but if it's just a little, then it's okay.

The genre I prefer this time is science fiction. Maybe even a mecha. But no horrors, please. Thanks :)
Check out:

The Big O
Giant Robo
Macross Frontier (someone correct me if this actually does have a lot of fan service b/c I don't recall that much in the TV show)
Library War
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby AngelicTotoro » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:59 am

Neane (post: 1546866) wrote:It has been three years since I watched Code Geass. [Really need to re-watch it.]
[spoiler]The only thing I remember in terms of religious content is that the bad guys were working on creating a machine that would destroy God [And they of course fail and it gets destroyed].. That is all I remember.[/spoiler]

Could someone elaborate on this, and let me know if theres anything else I should be concerned about? Thanks. :D
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby impact777 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:18 am

Hi! I'm sorry. I've one question again... After a lot of research, I've found the following anime:
Phantom - Requiem For The Phantom
Living For The Day After Tomorrow
Kobato
Allison & Lillia
Black Lagoon
Rocket Girls

Would you recommend them?
And can someone please tell me if there's any neg. content in them? Like neg. theological themes and/or much nudity...

Thank a lot! :)
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
impact777

Postby Atria35 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:53 am

Alison & Lillia is a pretty decent kid's show. You see a few people die (non-graphic deaths, some blood), and Alison does [spoiler]get pregnant out of wedlock - the guy she's in love with has to leave the country before she can tell them, and therefore they can never get married, so she raises Lillia as a single mother[/spoiler], but I really enjoyed the first half of the show. I didn't care for the second half that focused on Lillia.
Kobato has the main character falling for an older man, which can disturb a few people but it wasn't done badly. From what I remember, her doll has a little bit of a mouth on it, but other than that it's a fairly clean and sweet show about a girl who makes it her goal to make people happy (mainly by granting wishes. She's kind of like a genie). I've heard it's excelent.
Phantom - Has some partial nudity, but it's mostly about assasins. So you will see people die. It has some very good action sequences. Again, have heard it's excelent, but I have it on-hold after seeing 6 eps because I wasn't sure it was for me- I'm not usually someone who likes the action genre.

... Rocket Girls is a decently obscure anime series. I'm shocked- looks like it's only had just over 1000 views on MAL, and that has well over that amount of members. I think I'll watch it myself because practically no one knows about it!
Atria35

Postby MightiMidget » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:17 am

Phantom is a fantastic series if you do like an action/conspiracy/assassin genre. It's also a psychological story, and I'd recommend it strongly. It does have some objectionable content, however. There is stronger profanity in the dub (the dub includes a few f-words, whereas the sub did not, at least when I rewatched a couple episodes). The second half of the series is darker, and there are one or two (I only remember one though) implied sex scenes. There is some undetailed nudity as well. Violence-wise, I don't remember there being much blood at all, except perhaps when someone got shot in the chest.
MightiMidget

Postby impact777 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:26 am

Thank you Atria and MM! :)
impact777

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:12 pm

SincerelyAnomymous (post: 1546875) wrote:Looking for a anime with little to no fan service. I'd also like no yao/yuri, but if it's just a little, then it's okay.

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1547039) wrote:Check out:Giant Robo
I should note that I mean the 7 episode OAV series from the 90s, the one that is readily available to be purchased for $12-$15, and not the 13 episode TV series from 2007, of which there exists no English subtitled verison.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Neane » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:19 pm

impact777 (post: 1547111) wrote:
Black Lagoon

Would you recommend them?
And can someone please tell me if there's any neg. content in them? Like neg. theological themes and/or much nudity...

Black Lagoon is the best action anime at this point and is what set me on the career path I'm on now - an American aspiring to be a Japanese businessman turned modern-day pirate/mercenary. It's about Rock (Rokudo), who is kidnapped by some modern day pirates, the Lagoon company. He eventually joins them, and they really deal with some really questionable stuff.

[By the way, only watch this anime in the English Dub.] In terms of content:

Black Lagoon TV Series:

Super-High Amounts of Profanity and high amounts of Blood. And the Hansel and Gretal Arc gets pretty disturbing as it contains things that come from Real Life Events in Romania.

Black Lagoon Roberta Blood Trail is more gore-filled, and is also more sexual and more crazy than the TV Series.

If okay with what I listed above, I recommend it. It is the best action anime ever. The only anime that comes close is Hellsing Ultimate.
Neane

Postby impact777 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:54 pm

Thank you Neane! :)
impact777

Postby _GazeRockMei_ » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:43 pm

Anyone think they can help me? I'm in need of some good family anime.

My little sister (12) has been popping in and out of my anime experiences with me since my love for it began; but unfortunately for her, all the anime I've been watching has been just a hair too mature for her (Naruto, Bleach, Pandora Hearts, Ouran High School Host Club, and the cussing issue in Fruits Basket). Despite this, she's been slowly falling in love with the artwork and as I share about characters in each that I read and watch, she also falls in love with them. She's been begging me to find an anime that she is able to watch with me with no worries of extensive cussing, violence, or sexual content. I introduced her and my younger brother to Hikaru no Go, but it didn't keep them very interested. Both of them watch Pokemon, but my sister is growing tired of it.

Anyone think they can help me find some good anime for her? I've been trying but to no avail. :shake:
_GazeRockMei_

Postby Atria35 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:53 pm

[quote="_GazeRockMei_ (post: 1547261)"]Anyone think they can help me? I'm in need of some good family anime.

My little sister (12) has been popping in and out of my anime experiences with me since my love for it began]

Lovely Complex might be a good choice- it's a romcom like Ouran, but it's a pretty clean show. EDIT: Forgot about the one thing to warn about- there is a guy that dresses like a girl and has a romantic interest in the male lead. It's only brought to the forefront for about... 3 episodes? Maybe. And then he loses and it's made clear there will never be a relationship, and that's that.
Seirei no Moribito might be a little too slow-paced for her, but it's has some action (one death onscreen that's non-excessive, it's like watching a Disney villian death), and is pretty clean. It's worth a shot, at least.
Princess Tutu- it's a magical girl anime, and does have a little bit of action (most of it not the traditional fighting stuff, though there is a touch of that as well. Disney villian death for the baddie), but also has some great romance and comedy.
Cardcaptor Sakura - this one is very sweet and pretty clean, but I'm not sure how much it would appeal to her because she's already into the darker and more action-oriented shows. The only thing to worry about here is one mention in one episode of how Sakura's crush thinks that her brother is "his number one" (obviously meant in the romantic sense). Other than that one episode, it's clean. And no, I don't recommend the American version Cardcaptors which has a horrific cutting o important plot points and skimps on the romance between Sakura and Syaoran.
Atria35

Postby _GazeRockMei_ » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:22 pm

Atria35 (post: 1547266) wrote:Lovely Complex might be a good choice- it's a romcom like Ouran, but it's a pretty clean show. EDIT: Forgot about the one thing to warn about- there is a guy that dresses like a girl and has a romantic interest in the male lead. It's only brought to the forefront for about... 3 episodes? Maybe. And then he loses and it's made clear there will never be a relationship, and that's that.
Seirei no Moribito might be a little too slow-paced for her, but it's has some action (one death onscreen that's non-excessive, it's like watching a Disney villian death), and is pretty clean. It's worth a shot, at least.
Princess Tutu- it's a magical girl anime, and does have a little bit of action (most of it not the traditional fighting stuff, though there is a touch of that as well. Disney villian death for the baddie), but also has some great romance and comedy.
Cardcaptor Sakura - this one is very sweet and pretty clean, but I'm not sure how much it would appeal to her because she's already into the darker and more action-oriented shows. The only thing to worry about here is one mention in one episode of how Sakura's crush thinks that her brother is "his number one" (obviously meant in the romantic sense). Other than that one episode, it's clean. And no, I don't recommend the American version Cardcaptors which has a horrific cutting o important plot points and skimps on the romance between Sakura and Syaoran.

Thanks!! I'll definitely have her give these try. (:

As for her being into the darker stuff -- not really. She isn't a fan of dark plots, in retrospect, but more of the funny happy stuff. She just enjoys me telling her about the plots and characters and whatnot. Thanks for helping! She'll be excited when I tell her about these.
_GazeRockMei_

Postby AngelicTotoro » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:52 pm

Neane (post: 1546866) wrote:It has been three years since I watched Code Geass. [Really need to re-watch it.]

AngelicTotoro (post: 1547086) wrote:Could someone elaborate on this, and let me know if theres anything else I should be concerned about?

Still waiting. :?:
AngelicTotoro

Postby Midori » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:42 pm

I'm not entirely sure about religious issues in Code Geass, as I have not seen most of season 2. However, there are some issues (not necessarily religious) that you should be warned of. Mostly, it's that Code Geass can get quite violent--but the physical violence is not so much my concern as the emotional violence.

- There will be multiple scenes of innocent civilians being mercilessly slaughtered by the bad empire guys.
- The main character is an antihero (perhaps a villain) who has a special power where if he commands a person to do something, they must do it. Even if it's to betray their friends or put a bullet in their own head.

Between these things and other moments in the series (I'm kinda trying to avoid spoilers), this show can be quite emotionally horrifying.

That said, I must also say that I like Code Geass a lot. Its story is mesmerizing, its characters interesting, and its presentation superb. But among all the anime I have seen, this one might be the one that most requires a strong heart and stomach to watch.
Midori

Postby Maokun » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:36 am

AngelicTotoro (post: 1547086) wrote:Could someone elaborate on this, and let me know if theres anything else I should be concerned about? Thanks. :D

The thing about the anti-god machine that was mentioned is a total non-issue: The world of Code Geass has a sketchy mythology/theology that is never expanded much but it's quite safe to say it's not similar to our world (even if there are some aesthetic similitudes.) "god" in that world is more of a concept which basically translates to the bad guys wanting to obtain unbound mystical power to take over the world.

I'd also insist that the fanservice in GC is on the side of scarce and not too offensive (consisting mostly of a few scenes with tight battlesuits and a couple other with swimsuits. And most of it is condensed in a single, filler-esque episode that can be safely skipped.

_GazeRockMei_ (post: 1547261) wrote:Anyone think they can help me find some good anime for her? I've been trying but to no avail. :shake:

Seconding Card Captor Sakura. Maybe One Piece? Cleaner in almost every respect compared to all the other action anime you mention, it is also widely acknowledge to have a superior story and better life lessons.

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby AngelicTotoro » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:01 pm

@Maokun
Alright, then I will definitely give Code Geass a try. Thanks for your help.
AngelicTotoro

Postby TheWaffleMonste » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:50 pm

Ugh, all right...I need some anime recommendations. It's not for me; I've already got a million animes stacked up to watch, not to mention finishing all 366 episodes of Bleach! No, I have a dear friend who's just getting interested in anime and thinks that, since I've seen a few animes and been to a con, I must know everything. I'm stuck, and she's impossible to find anything for.
Basically, she's seen Hayao Miyazaki's "Howl's Moving Castle" and watched Fruits Basket. She liked both of them. It's tricky because, while I enjoy both of those, I'm normally more into shonen-type animes. Her parents are pretty strict, too...
So, basically, I'm looking for something on the lighter side (no demon hunters, zombie hunters, anything like that) without tons of blood or dark-ish spiritual content, and as little sexual content as one can get while still watching an anime. To make things more impossible, she doesn't like romantic anime/manga (even if it's clean) because it bores her. Yup, I realize it's a tall order...
[font="Arial Narrow"][/font]
[color="Silver"][/color]
My fanfiction.net account: TheWaffleMonster
My Youtube account: TheMixDragon
TheWaffleMonste

Postby impact777 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:06 am

Could anyone please help me with the following 2 anime concerning neg. themes and nudity? That would be very kind. :)

Starship Operators
Strain - Strategic Armored Infantry
impact777

Postby Neane » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:24 pm

I watched Strain - Strategic Armored Infantry when I was first started watching anime two years ago.
This is what I remember: There was a for-gag-value-only Shoujo-Ai aspect. [Lavinia the comedy lesbian I called her.] Also, I remember that episode 7 of Soukou No Strain had a lot of fanservice in it, which could be classed as ecchi (full frontal nudity). Also, I remember a girl walking around in a torn uniform for a bit, and there were couple of shower shots.
Neane

Postby impact777 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:17 am

@Neane: Oh! Thank you! I think I will not watch it. ;)
impact777

Postby TheWaffleMonste » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:45 am

All right...so, I'm looking for some anime for a friend. So far, she's seen and enjoyed Hayao Miyazaki's "Howl's Moving Castle" and Fruits Basket...and, well, that's it. She's decided she wants to see more anime, which is awesome. Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time finding anything. I tend to be be more into shonen anime, and it's been hard to find a shonen anime that she might enjoy. Basically, she's ruled out everything I've suggested because it's: demon hunter, zombie hunter, too bloody (even if there's barely any blood), too scary or in one case, too "sad". I'm sort of new to anime myself, so I'm having a hard time finding anything at all I can throw at her. One of my friends lent her School Rumble, and she said it was too boring. It sounds to me like she's basically looking for shoujo anime that's not about romance...but I honestly have no idea what she's looking for. I would say, basically, something clean (or relatively clean in the anime universe). Let's start there. Can anyone help me?
[font="Arial Narrow"][/font]
[color="Silver"][/color]
My fanfiction.net account: TheWaffleMonster
My Youtube account: TheMixDragon
TheWaffleMonste

Postby Atria35 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:05 am

Well, there's other Ghibli films like Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Whisper of the Heart.

I'd also recommend the move Summer Wars, Ouran Host Club, Lovely Complex, which are all very good and pretty darn clean shows. Lovely Complex might bore her a bit, but it tends to be popular. Skip Beat! might also be a good one since it's focus isn't really all romance (a good amount is her trying to get into showbiz). Glass Mask (2005) is a good one, mainly about getting into showbiz again- this time theater.
Atria35

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews