Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby SierraLea » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:58 am

I just finished Buso Renkin, which is by the same author as RurKen. It would be awesome if not for all the jokes about guy's private parts. There's an anime too, which is just as good.
SierraLea

Postby Exlon » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:48 pm

So about Air and Kanon...which of the two is better, what are they basically about, and how are they compared to Clannad (which is basically the only really sentimental anime I've seen)? I noticed you can get both complete series for really cheap on Amazon (cheap as in $15-$20 compared to $35 for Angel Beats or something, which is the same number of episodes).

Oh, and I watched Angel Beats online Netflix btw. It was alright, I guess. Not sure I would buy it for $30 though.

OH OH OH! And content rating of Air and Kanon. Like sketchy sexual stuff or anything (which I haven't heard of).
[SIZE="3"][font="System"][color="PaleTurquoise"]Remember, Sora...you are the one who will open the door to the light.[/color][/font][/SIZE]
Exlon

Postby Atria35 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:37 pm

There's nothing to say about Kanon that isn't in the description on Amazon. A boy comes back to a snowy town that he used to live in, and had to leave because of something rather traumatic. He doesn't remember any of the girls that he becomes friends with. They remember him, and eventually his memories begin to return. Stuff happens. Clannad's plot is about as long when you get down to the nitty-gritty- I can't say more without giving spoilers. I haven't seen Air, so I can't say anything about it's quality. Kanon made me cry multiple times, though. The reason I don't really list content is because Kanon is the same level of... everything... that Clannad has. Violence might be a touch more, since [spoiler]his cousin is 'fighting' creatures that seem to be supernatural monsters (aren't, really)[/spoiler] but there's only some bruising shown.
Atria35

Postby MightiMidget » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:24 pm

MightiMidget (post: 1541893) wrote:@Exlon -- Air is good...for the first maybe 2/3s, but the end of it is really weird, trippy, abrupt and foggy. I haven't seen Kanon.

@Exlon - *points above* :)

In addition to your new questions. The Air anime doesn't have any sexual content that I remember. I'd give Air the anime equivalent of 13+, which isn't very high. In regards to quality, it's pretty much a poor man's Clannad. Like a half-hearted shadow only-sort-of-kind-of striving for Clannad's greatness.

I'm sorry I don't remember more in regards to content...I thought it was pretty safe though.
MightiMidget

Postby SierraLea » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:40 am

Would anyone recommend "Black Butler"? It looks interesting but dark.
SierraLea

Postby impact777 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:34 am

Dear CAA-friends,
I have questions about 3 anime.
1. Clannad After Story: I've seen most of the Clannad and liked it very much. I've heard that CAS is a little weird. Can you tell me if there some bad content, e.g. bad religion it it?
2. Squid girl: Can you recommend it? It looks pretty funny. ^^
3. Initial D: I've already seen about 20 episodes. I heard that in later episodes, there are some sex scenes. Is that right?
Thanks a lot. :)
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
impact777

Postby Atria35 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:43 am

SierraLea (post: 1543341) wrote:Would anyone recommend "Black Butler"? It looks interesting but dark.

It's not very popular around here, but on other anime forums it is. Mainly, the thing that bothers people is that it revolves around the contract and relationship between a boy and a demon. The boy contracted the demon for revenge on those who killed his family. He also goes around tracking down criminals for clues. It is dark because of some of the things he comes up against (killers, human trafficking). It's not shown in-depth, but it's there.
Atria35

Postby Neane » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:52 am

SierraLea (post: 1543341) wrote:Would anyone recommend "Black Butler"? It looks interesting but dark.

Sebastian is the coolest butler of all ****ing time. He is the tuxedo wearing offspring of Alucard from Hellsing and Enma Ai from Jigoku Shoujo. Not bad of a combo I must say so myself.

The animation is good, the backgrounds, sceneries, and overall artwork too. Also, Victorian England looks very interesting and besides some minor inconsistencies, it is very realistic in how society was running back then.
The sound department is mighty fine too. Great voice acting, nice atmospheric music.

As for the show itself, the selling point of the series is Sebastian. I mean, the anime itself is named after him. As long as you are satisfied with watching him doing cool stuff, then all the rest is trivial. However, the story in this anime is awful and complete **** and ruins the already simple premise of the anime. I do not recommend it at all. Also, the ending is awful and the Second Season is a poorly made Fan-Fic.

impact777 (post: 1543351) wrote:2. Squid girl: Can you recommend it? It looks pretty funny. ^^

YES.
Neane

Postby impact777 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:01 am

@Neane: Dômo arigatô! :)
Does anybody else know something?
impact777

Postby Atria35 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:05 am

There was a whole big thread on Clannad: Afterstory on here just a week or so ago, so someone knows the content of Afterstory >.> Looking at what other people have said about it, it's not that much different from the first season.
Atria35

Postby impact777 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:10 am

@Atria35: Thank you. :)
impact777

Postby impact777 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:46 am

Hmm... I think "Initial D" is too old for this forum. :(
impact777

Postby MightiMidget » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:33 am

@SierraLee -- Black Butler is dark, though it's also a comedy. If you're sensitive even a little to demonic and occult stories? I would suggest steering clear.

Since I don't remember if this is part of a "secret" or not I'll spoiler tag it. But, the plot is basically:

[spoiler]Ciel's family is murdered and he's kidnapped for I thought a sacrifice...? But I might be totally off. I'm fairly certain he's beaten, tortured...and that's when he summons Sebastian, a demon (as in literal, from hell demon) to work for him until Ciel gets his revenge. Upon his vengeance being complete, Sebastian's payment would be his soul.[/spoiler]

It's, I guess, good enough of a series if you like that sort of thing. It didn't sit well with me at all, and it also had too much innuendo for me to be able to enjoy even the non-demonically focused bits.

@impact777 -- Clannad: After Story in regards to bad religion. It's more of an alternate reality metaphor than religion. I would not say you'd need to worry about that. And it's difficult to really explain without entirely spoiling it.

AS doesn't have any more innuendo in it than Clannad does, that I remember. It is also quite a bit heavier than Clannad. Beautiful, but heavier.

Squid Girl I don't, personally, find very funny. But some people really enjoy it. If you like slapstick comedy you'd probably enjoy Squid Girl. It has one character who is creepily obsessed with dressing her up and taking pictures of her. But from what I remember, that was the only iffy thing about it.
MightiMidget

Postby impact777 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:52 am

OH! Thanks a lot MightiMidget! :) That really helps me.
impact777

Postby Neane » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:59 pm

Neane

Postby Exlon » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:12 am

I watched the first two episodes of Black Butler last night on Netflix. I don't quite know what to think of it yet, but it's sort of interesting. But I guess it's Sebastian that makes it interesting, the rest of the Phantomhive staff are annoying, and Ciel's kind of a brat. It did make me smile, however, when I realized Sebastian must have the same voice actor as Kyoya in Ouran High School Host Club. ;)
[SIZE="3"][font="System"][color="PaleTurquoise"]Remember, Sora...you are the one who will open the door to the light.[/color][/font][/SIZE]
Exlon

Postby Maokun » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:38 pm

impact777 (post: 1543563) wrote:Hmm... I think "Initial D" is too old for this forum. :(

More like too aaargghmyeyeballsarebleedingstopthepainstopstopohgodwhycantijustdiealready?

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:47 pm

Yeeeaaaahhh, we've got people here who have seen stuff like Mobile Suit Gundam, Zambot 3, Rose of Versailles, Fist of the North Star, and Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Initial D doesn't seem particularly old in light of those shows.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby impact777 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:32 pm

Maokun (post: 1544086) wrote:More like too aaargghmyeyeballsarebleedingstopthepainstopstopohgodwhycantijustdiealready?

^^ Oh, I didn't know that it' so bad. :lol:
Hmm... but maybe you're right. I just watched it, because I thought it's a classic. But this was perhaps a fail...
impact777

Postby impact777 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:33 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1544090) wrote:Yeeeaaaahhh, we've got people here who have seen stuff like Mobile Suit Gundam, Zambot 3, Rose of Versailles, Fist of the North Star, and Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Initial D doesn't seem particularly old in light of those shows.

Ah, thank you. I see....
impact777

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:23 am

impact777 (post: 1544208) wrote:^^ Oh, I didn't know that it' so bad. :lol:
Hmm... but maybe you're right. I just watched it, because I thought it's a classic. But this was perhaps a fail...
No, no, Initial D could still be regarded as a classic. Everything I've heard agrees with that assertion. It's just that something made in the 2000s is likely not too old for this or any other anime forum.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby impact777 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:02 am

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1544240) wrote:No, no, Initial D could still be regarded as a classic. Everything I've heard agrees with that assertion. It's just that something made in the 2000s is likely not too old for this or any other anime forum.

Ah! I always thought Initial D is much older. Thank you for this information! :)
impact777

Postby Rri X » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:12 pm

:D I'm back for more recommendations!

I enjoy complex plotlines [think as confusing as Kingdom Hearts], the theme of loyalty, grand adventures, people with powers or special abilities, and unique, unusual characters.

I cannot stand it when series try to add a deep meaning to something, and it doesn't work. I'm not a fan of romance-driven series, though if the main plot is something else, I'm not opposed to it. I like bittersweet endings, but not horribly depressing ones.

My reservations:

Fanservice/sexual content -- Needs to be MINIMAL or NONE. This is what I really dislike in media.

Language -- I can handle moderate amounts of language.

Violence -- Blood's fine. No guts spewing everywhere though. XD

Spiritual -- I would prefer series without demons and occult themes. References to Asian culture/beliefs are fine, as long as they don't make up a large portion of the plot.
Rri X

Postby Neane » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:27 pm

Rri X (post: 1544382) wrote::D I'm back for more recommendations!

I enjoy complex plotlines [think as confusing as Kingdom Hearts], the theme of loyalty, grand adventures, people with powers or special abilities, and unique, unusual characters.

I cannot stand it when series try to add a deep meaning to something, and it doesn't work. I'm not a fan of romance-driven series, though if the main plot is something else, I'm not opposed to it. I like bittersweet endings, but not horribly depressing ones.

My reservations:

Fanservice/sexual content -- Needs to be MINIMAL or NONE. This is what I really dislike in media.

Language -- I can handle moderate amounts of language.

Violence -- Blood's fine. No guts spewing everywhere though. XD

Spiritual -- I would prefer series without demons and occult themes. References to Asian culture/beliefs are fine, as long as they don't make up a large portion of the plot.

Have you watched Kaiji yet? If not, do so.
Neane

Postby Exlon » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:30 pm

I've gotten about halfway through Black Butler, and I actually kind of enjoy it. Tiny bit creepy here and there, maybe I'll glance away if it's slightly bloody or gruesome (I don't think it is enough to give you nightmares though). I've heard that it strays from the manga after the first few volumes of the series, and that a lot of people like the manga much better. I guess I'll just continue watching the anime now, since I like it the way it is and I don't want to think less of it just because I started reading the manga. Although I wonder if I want to try it, except that it must go in a different direction from the anime after a while.

I guess it's like how I liked the anime for Ouran more than the manga at first (I read the first volume after one or two episodes), but in part, that was probably because I knew everything that had happened. :/ I ended up reading through the a lot of the manga first, and then watched the anime, which I then thought less of because of having read the manga.

So...it's a little hard to decide if I want to read the manga after finishing watching Black Butler, 'cause one of them is going to be spoiled/thought less of. XP I dunno. What do you guys think?
Exlon

Postby Zeldafan2 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:48 am

Hello, I am looking for an anime that has either:

A. Science fiction, with maybe a little bit of romance (but nothing overtly sexual or anything.)
B. A highschool themed show(besides Ouran, I have been told far too much about that) that has some elements of comedy, and or has a interesting sub plot wrapped into it.
C. An action adventure series, with some sort of grand quest theme involved.

Any of these would work out for me. Just to let you know I have watched:
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Robotech (mostly.)
Hikaru no Go
Kekkashi

And I have been on and off reading One Piece.
Zeldafan2

Postby Atria35 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:58 am

^ Ouran. Even if you've heard too much of it, that doesn't make the show any less interesting or good. It's also worth knowing for yourself what it's about, rather than relying on the judgement of other people.

A) Dennou Coil. No romance, involves kids, but is really quite good.
Birdy the Mighty: Decode - Yes, Birdy does wear a skimpy outfit. But she's never really used as fanservice, it's just... there. Pretty nonsexual.
To Terra.. - one of the great underwatched sci-fi anime that is out there. It got really far in one of the previous 'best anime of...' threads, but most people haven't seen in.
B) Kimi to Boku - sclice-of-life about a group of guy friends. It's different merely based on that premise from the average HS comedy.
Atria35

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:18 am

Zeldafan2 (post: 1545539) wrote:Hello, I am looking for an anime that has either:

A. Science fiction, with maybe a little bit of romance (but nothing overtly sexual or anything.)
B. A highschool themed show(besides Ouran, I have been told far too much about that) that has some elements of comedy, and or has a interesting sub plot wrapped into it.
C. An action adventure series, with some sort of grand quest theme involved.
I think Durarara!! ticks all of those boxes, though there is one scene of nudity (a woman is having surgery).
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Zeldafan2 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:21 am

@Atira. You're probably right. I will check out Ouran at some point.

@The Subtle Doctor. Thanks for the info, you too Atira. I really appreciate it. :)
Zeldafan2

Postby DecooPunk » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:52 pm

looking for a anime like origin sprits of the past or sprited away.
hopefully a clean anime?
no sexual stuff, in other words or gore.
(Spelling problems....)
DecooPunk

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews