Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Atria35 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:58 pm

Jeez. There aren't that many movies out there, really, and you like the dark ones the best. So I can only name ones you don't have on that list:

Welcome to the Space Show
Colorful (the movie not the tv series, two totally different things)
5 CM/Second
The Place Promised In Our Early Days
Tokyo Godfathers
Paprika
Perfect Blue (I have a suspicion you'll like this one the best)
Summer Wars
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Escaflowne
Macross Frontier (2 movies)
Revolutionary Girl Utena (there's a movie!)
King of Thorn (no idea how this compares to the manga. I liked the manga, though)
Redline
They Were 11
Sky Crawlers
Atria35

Postby Maokun » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:17 pm

Heh. I purposefully avoided mentioning Makoto Shinkai's movies because I'm pretty sure they are not up Neane's alley.

Oh, and while thinking about other recommendations I remembered one that I had forgotten to add to my MAL! The Boy Who Saw the Wind. I believe you'll like this movie, it's similar to Nausicaa in themes and treatment, but more importantly, it's much more underrated and kind of obscure, which I know it's something that you appreciate :P

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby Vilo159 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:22 pm

Hello everyone, I'm new here.

Im fairly new to the anime world, Ive only watched about three completely. So far Ive watched Tsubasa Chronicles, Trigun, and InuYasha. Im looking for something with little to no fan service. I know thats pretty much impossible, but the less there is the better. Ive turned a couple animes down due to fan service, namely Chobits and Soul Eater. Chobits was pretty good, but I didnt like how perverted it got. Soul Eater made me sad. After 7 episodes, the character development was phenomenal and the plot was getting really good. I just got tired of Tsubaki always being seen coming out of the bath, and more than a couple female characters were more than a bit oversexualized. And it was getting pretty bloody. Made me very sad, but I couldnt let myself keep going. So Im not specifically looking for any genre, just so long as its good and mostly wholesome. Im not too picky about any religious themes present, and as long as its not overly bloody then Im fine. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Oh, and I'm Mormon, if that helps show what my standards are. :n_n:
Vilo159

Postby Neane » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:23 pm

Thanks all, yeah I tend to like works that are not really popular. I also found a movie called "A Wind Named Amnesia" and I will check it out. It seems to be about humans without any memories about being humans, and that somehow causes a post-apocalyptic world and it is supposed to take place in what was the USA. Also I forgot to include Paprika in the list of movies I saw. That was all kinds of wonderful.
Neane

Postby Maokun » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:59 pm

If you already watched Paprika and loved it, definitely jump to Perfect Blue.

Vilo: Welcome! I recommend One Piece and Rurouni Kenshin to you, which are somewhat similar to Inuyasha and Trigun respectively and with very little fanservice.

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
Maokun

Postby Atria35 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:09 pm

Vilo159 (post: 1541412) wrote:Hello everyone, I'm new here.
So Im not specifically looking for any genre, just so long as its good and mostly wholesome. Im not too picky about any religious themes present, and as long as its not overly bloody then Im fine. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I'd go with 12 Kingdoms. Very clean, very good story, excelent characterization... I just love it.
Emma: A Victorian Romance is also fantastic- the worst is two seconds of backside nudity when Emma is helping her employer change in the second season. Literally, that's it in terms of bad content.
Romeo x Juliet would also be a fine choice, clearly a fantasy. There is some blood and death in the beginning, but after that initial 5 minutes of seeing 2 dead people, you're done except for one man who sacrifices himself (offscreen) and the ending of the main characters which is non-graphic.
Bamboo Blade - very slice of life, no bad content to speak of.
Castle in the Sky is a fantastic, clean Ghibli movie.
Whisper of the Heart - same as above
... you could go with almost any Ghibli movie and be fine, really, except for Princess Mononoke.
Millennium Actress - Definitely one of the best romances I've ever seen.
Dennou Coil- great sci-fi, very clean, very good.
Erin (aka Kemono no Souja Erin) - is an absolutely fantastic show that I think you'd enjoy a lot. It seems like a kid's show... and it does have those elements, but it's a fantastic story.

If you're sure you don't mind spiritual elements, then Natsume Yuujinchou and Hikaru no Go are ones that you really should look into. Natsume is about putting Japanese spirits to rest, and it's very sweet and lovely. Hikaru no Go has a ghost helping a boy learn to be the best Go player in the world, it's a lot more action but awesome.
Atria35

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:53 pm

Im fairly new to the anime world, Ive only watched about three completely. So far Ive watched Tsubasa Chronicles, Trigun, and InuYasha. Im looking for something with little to no fan service. I know thats pretty much impossible, but the less there is the better. Ive turned a couple animes down due to fan service, namely Chobits and Soul Eater. Chobits was pretty good, but I didnt like how perverted it got. Soul Eater made me sad. After 7 episodes, the character development was phenomenal and the plot was getting really good. I just got tired of Tsubaki always being seen coming out of the bath, and more than a couple female characters were more than a bit oversexualized. And it was getting pretty bloody. Made me very sad, but I couldnt let myself keep going. So Im not specifically looking for any genre, just so long as its good and mostly wholesome. Im not too picky about any religious themes present, and as long as its not overly bloody then Im fine. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Welcome! [SIZE="1"]Hey, I might actually be able to recommend something! ]

Do you want a show you can watch online? There's Natsume Yujincho--Every spirit and Japanese mythological creature is real and has a story. The human that can see them tries to give each one he finds a happy ending. Crunchyroll has seasons 1-3 completed (each stands fine on its own), and season 4 is being released as it airs.
CONTENT: Some guys go to a hot spring a few times (they're always covered, and if you watched InuYasha I doubt it'll be a problem); a minor female character says she was in love with another woman; the aforementioned spirits are real. (It's treated rather like contemporary fantasy.) Little violence, and no blood that I can remember.

Or maybe some movies? Spirited Away and Whisper of the Heart are as clean as Pixar.

EDIT: Atria ninja'd me! And I echo Millennium Actress.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Maokun » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:56 pm

Nice new avvy FMN :) Flustered Anthony is flustered.

Maokun

Postby Neane » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:08 pm

In addition to all the other great Recommendations that were given to you,
I would recommend personally one of me favorites: Noir
You can watch it on Youtube for free legally. It relies on pure character development to progress its plot, not flashy action scenes, chaotic violence, gruesome gore, or corny romances. Although it has a slow and somewhat flat start, the rest of the series more than makes up for its first few episodes.It was also made by the same studio that made the Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE anime. In terms of content it is pretty clean...the only thing worth mentioning is that later on in the episodes there is a small bath scene outdoors with two of the female characters but it is not dirty at all, the only other thing worth mentioning is that in this short scene there is a very short kiss that occurs between the two female characters but it is not really offensive.

Here is a review that this site did on this show a while ago.
Neane

Postby manslayerBen13 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:31 am

huntsman ends next week any good anime
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]blade vs edward is the movie I would like to see
manslayerBen13

Postby manslayerBen13 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:33 am

i put gintama in on my kindle fire it put huntsman insted
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]blade vs edward is the movie I would like to see
manslayerBen13

Postby _GazeRockMei_ » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:12 pm

Sooo, I've finished reading Pandora Hearts (as far as the mangas been updated) and I've been reading/watching Kuroshitsuji, but I wanna know everyones takes on it. I also want to start watching One Piece. Any words of caution?
_GazeRockMei_

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:41 pm

_GazeRockMei_ (post: 1541614) wrote:I also want to start watching One Piece. Any words of caution?
Are you ready for a long-term commitment?
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby _GazeRockMei_ » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:56 pm

Haha, yes! I've heard it was really long. . .
_GazeRockMei_

Postby Mike123123 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:38 pm

Hi guys, man i haven't been on this site for a while, to busy with school,etc, anyways for a long while now ive been searching EVERYWHERE for a good school-life anime, and maybe a little fantasy mixed in,i just really like the idea of "for your homework today, you have to master a spell" instead of something like "for your homework, do a 10 page essay on why the blah-blah-blah" i guess that's why most people like anime, its care free, and you forget about all the other stress-full things in life..... or just watch it because your bored or something :p
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
-John 3:16
Mike123123

Postby Atria35 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:52 pm

School life + fantasy? Kekkaishi. He hunts down spirits in his school.

.... Okay, really, the best thing I can come up with is the Harry Potter series. That's closest to what you're asking for.
Atria35

Postby Maokun » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:41 pm

Maybe Mahou Sensei Negima? I'm pretty sure there's another one but I cannot remember it right now. I'll keep thinking about it.

Maokun

Postby Mike123123 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:52 pm

Atria35 (post: 1541652) wrote:.... Okay, really, the best thing I can come up with is the Harry Potter series. That's closest to what you're asking for.

Yeah, figured people would say that, but ive already read them all like 5 times.
but ill try Kekkaishi and Mahou Sensei Negima
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
Mike123123

Postby Atria35 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:09 pm

Mike123123 (post: 1541718) wrote:Yeah, figured people would say that, but ive already read them all like 5 times.
but ill try Kekkaishi and Mahou Sensei Negima

Wait! Hold on, I forgot about Gakuen Alice. They have spuerpowers instead of spells if you don't mind that.
*proud of self*
Atria35

Postby _GazeRockMei_ » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:12 pm

Mike123123 (post: 1541634) wrote:Hi guys, man i haven't been on this site for a while, to busy with school,etc, anyways for a long while now ive been searching EVERYWHERE for a good school-life anime, and maybe a little fantasy mixed in,i just really like the idea of "for your homework today, you have to master a spell" instead of something like "for your homework, do a 10 page essay on why the blah-blah-blah" i guess that's why most people like anime, its care free, and you forget about all the other stress-full things in life..... or just watch it because your bored or something :p

Gakuen Alice! Naruto. . .they have to do clones for homework. . . xD Erm. . . As was said before, Harry Potter!
_GazeRockMei_

Postby Exlon » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:45 pm

So now that I'm done with Clannad(which I was happy I bought on iTunes), I am now watching Angel Beats! on Netflix. I watched the first five episodes yesterday and...eh, it's okay. I don't love it. I'll get through it eventually though. But so far I don't like it enough to own it (unlike Clannad, which I bought after seeing the first 5 on YouTube).

Apparently I can get Kanon and Air from Netflix on DVDs, so maybe I'll do that for spring break. What do you guys know about those two series and how do you like them?
[SIZE="3"][font="System"][color="PaleTurquoise"]Remember, Sora...you are the one who will open the door to the light.[/color][/font][/SIZE]
Exlon

Postby Atria35 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:09 pm

I love Kanon. The jam. The jam. So far, I still like it better than Clannad. I haven't finished Clannad, though, so who knows? But Kanon still counts as one of my favorite romances of all time.
Atria35

Postby MightiMidget » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:24 pm

@Exlon -- Air is good...for the first maybe 2/3s, but the end of it is really weird, trippy, abrupt and foggy. I haven't seen Kanon.
MightiMidget

Postby Mike123123 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:48 pm

Atria35 (post: 1541724) wrote:Wait! Hold on, I forgot about Gakuen Alice.

i saw the anime a long time ago, ive mostly forgotten what its about but, i remember me being disappointed at the ending. i heard that the manga was longer, and different, so i might give the manga a try!
Mike123123

Postby Atria35 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:47 am

Mike123123 (post: 1542196) wrote:i saw the anime a long time ago, ive mostly forgotten what its about but, i remember me being disappointed at the ending. i heard that the manga was longer, and different, so i might give the manga a try!

The manga is much longer, and very different, from everything I hear. Actually, it's still ongoing at over 23 volumes. the anime was made when there were... well, maybe half that. It's very lighthearted at the beginning, but up to v 16 (where Tokyopop stopped publishing bcs they went out of business), it was getting more intense.
Atria35

Postby KnightOfFive » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:47 pm

I'm looking for a pretty decent Science Fiction with a cute Romantic subplot woven into it. Any ideas?
Most warriors would find it beneath them to attack a girl. Especially when she wasn't looking. No person with any honor or pride would ever do such a thing. I bid you farewell and good riddance. You're not even worth lamenting.-Uryu Ishida
KnightOfFive

Postby Neane » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:24 pm

KnightOfFive (post: 1542861) wrote:I'm looking for a pretty decent Science Fiction with a cute Romantic subplot woven into it. Any ideas?

Kaiba is the first that comes to mind.
Neane

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:34 pm

KnightOfFive (post: 1542861) wrote:I'm looking for a pretty decent Science Fiction with a cute Romantic subplot woven into it. Any ideas?
Eureka 7, Macross Frontier, and After War: Gundam X all come to mind. Also, since you're a fan of the Mikimoto character designs from Macross, Super Dimension Century Orguss might appeal to you. The core crew that worked on SDF Macross made Orguss pretty much as soon as they were done with Macross. It fits your two criteria and also has characters that have the same look as those in SDF Macross.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby KnightOfFive » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:50 am

@SubtleDoctor and Neane thanks for the suggestions! :)
Most warriors would find it beneath them to attack a girl. Especially when she wasn't looking. No person with any honor or pride would ever do such a thing. I bid you farewell and good riddance. You're not even worth lamenting.-Uryu Ishida
KnightOfFive

Postby KnightOfFive » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:52 am

I really apreciate them!
KnightOfFive

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews