What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby blkmage » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:44 pm

Yeah, I agree on the Negima ending. It's nice to see what happened to everyone, but Akamatsu just kind of skipped everything that everyone kinda wanted to see. It's not so much enraging as it is kind of strange.
blkmage

Postby Maokun » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:31 pm

I guess what's enraging is the lack of closure after 9 years of investment. I really like Ken Akamatsu's character design and Love Hina wasn't too bad a story, but i was totally turned off by the very premise of Negima; it looked exploitative and derivative like heck and after learning of its disappointing ending, I'm glad I didn't get myself invested on it.
One Piece v 56-60- SAD FACE FOREVER. There are all these elements that have just come together in this huge ball of amazingness and it's the most heartbreaking thing I've read in a long while. Characters I haven't seen since chapter 1 are back. People I NEVER expected to show up have. Some amazing fighting goes on. And I just want to give everyone a big hug.

Ah yeah, that part is quite sad. Wanna make a bet that [spoiler]Sabo is not dead?[/spoiler]

Also, brace yourself, you are about to catch up with the latest stuff and after then you'll join the club of us, who agonize week after week for some more crumbs of OP. *evil cackle*

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby blkmage » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:55 pm

It's too bad that's what you took away from that because I still think Negima is awesome and it's probably my favourite shounen battle manga. Like I said, I didn't find it particularly enraging or disappointing, just strange. It certainly did fights a hell of a lot better than Naruto or Bleach and the characters are waaaaaaay better. The most unfortunate thing about Negima is still the fact that the beginning is such an obstacle for people and not terribly representative of most of the series.
blkmage

Postby Neane » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:08 pm

I gave Negima a chance but never liked it enough to continue reading.
Neane

Postby MasterDias » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:37 pm

Yeah, the first several volumes of Negima aren't really like what the series would later become.

I personally try not to let endings color my perception of the entire series anyway. I thought it was generally quite good for a majority of its run. I do hope Akamatsu revisits it someday with a new series, but I don't know how likely that is.

I've heard of it but intensely dislike reading series that are still publishing. The only one I'm doing that for currently is Arata.

One Piece v 56-60

Does not compute.

I don't think Magi will be ending anytime soon. At Volume 9, the story actually only really feels like it's just getting started, with the recent introduction of what looks like the primary villain group. It should get an anime soon though. I've been hearing rumors and such of that sort for awhile.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Atria35 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:40 am

MasterDias (post: 1540284) wrote:Does not compute.

I'm not following One Piece on a weekly basis, though. It's going on hold until the next ten volumes are out. I regret picking it up since I went through it way faster than I thought I woud, and it's waaay longer than most completed series.
Atria35

Postby MightiMidget » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:04 pm

Read volumes 1-4 of Vampire Knight.

lol. but fun. and still Zero ftw.
MightiMidget

Postby Maokun » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:28 pm

Atria wrote:I'm not following One Piece on a weekly basis, though. It's going on hold until the next ten volumes are out. I regret picking it up since I went through it way faster than I thought I woud, and it's waaay longer than most completed series.
And it will take a long way before it ends :) On the brighter side, you spared yourself from having to read in a sit the absurd behemot that completed One Piece will be.

blkmage (post: 1540277) wrote:It's too bad that's what you took away from that because I still think Negima is awesome and it's probably my favourite shounen battle manga. Like I said, I didn't find it particularly enraging or disappointing, just strange. It certainly did fights a hell of a lot better than Naruto or Bleach and the characters are waaaaaaay better. The most unfortunate thing about Negima is still the fact that the beginning is such an obstacle for people and not terribly representative of most of the series.

See, I never heard or knew this. All I kept hearing was "It's love hina but with 30 girls instead 6!! aww yeeaaah!!" and the premise itself looked like some derivative crap riding off Harry Potter's popularity back then.

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
Maokun

Postby blkmage » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:01 pm

Basically, the story behind Negima's serialization is that Akamatsu wanted to do a shounen battle manga but his editors wanted him to do another Love Hina. So what he did was start out with what his editors wanted and slowly morphed it into what he wanted.
blkmage

Postby Maokun » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:29 pm

Hmm interesting. Would you say it's worth reading this 9-year long manga even knowing that it has a disappointing ending?

Maokun

Postby blkmage » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:39 pm

Absolutely.
blkmage

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:30 pm

Tsubasa Chronicle chapters 182-196 - I AM SO CONFUSED :eh:

Gin no Saji chapters 32-33 - It's nice to see people actually acknowledging aloud what Hachiken's strengths are. It feels very natural.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Vii » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:48 am

Soul Eater 37-70 - At least there's a lot less fanservice now, the beginning had way too much. Too bad it still appears occasionally.
Other than that, this is so much better than the anime. I like the plot a lot more.
Also...
[spoiler] Since when is Soul way taller than Maka?! Growth spurts mannnn...[/spoiler]

Silver Spoon (Gin no Saji) 33 - This suddenly got more interesting.
[spoiler] I wonder what's up with Aki...T_T[/spoiler]
Vii

Postby Roxi » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:29 pm

High School Debut & Bokura Ga Ita :)
[SIZE="5"][color="Yellow"]"Save Me, O God, by Thy name, and judge me by Thy strength" Psalm 54:1[/color][/SIZE]

:P:dance::cool:
Roxi

Postby Atria35 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:49 pm

Buddha v 1-8 (complete)- WOW. This is a really good series! It's just a lovely, multi-layered, complex story, and since it's multiple volumes you get even more of the intensity than in Tezuka's shorter series!
Atria35

Postby Neane » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:36 pm

For the last 4 months, I have been reading a mystery manga called SOIL and I have been actively following it. This has to be one of the most well written manga I have set my eyes on. Have anyone else here been reading it? This manga is well-done, like very well-done. Because of some of the content I would not recommend it to a person below the age of 18 however, anyone want to talk about it?
Neane

Postby Atria35 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:14 pm

Neane (post: 1540915) wrote:For the last 4 months, I have been reading a mystery manga called SOIL and I have been actively following it. This has to be one of the most well written manga I have set my eyes on. Have anyone else here been reading it? This manga is well-done, like very well-done. Because of some of the content I would not recommend it to a person below the age of 18 however, anyone want to talk about it?

I've heard of this one, and heard excelent things. I might be tempted to start reading it starting next month, but right now I'm a littel overloaded :sweat:

Started Dororo v 1 since it also came in at my library.
Atria35

Postby Maokun » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:10 am

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1540722) wrote:Tsubasa Chronicle chapters 182-196 - I AM SO CONFUSED :eh:

I so wanted to warn you of this, but you seemed so happy that I thought I wouldn't spoil your joy with tales of the doom coming. TRS is one of those series were the journey is what's matter, not the destination.

On that line of thought, I guess I'll give Negima! a go.

Maokun

Postby Atria35 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:53 am

Dororo 1-3- Good but it feels just... incomplete. I know that this wasn't so much about the warrior as it was the kid (because of course that's who the series is named after), but even so.
Atria35

Postby Neane » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:31 pm

Atria35 (post: 1540918) wrote:I've heard of this one, and heard excelent things. I might be tempted to start reading it starting next month, but right now I'm a littel overloaded :sweat:

I highly recommend it, the plot in this is peerless, and the execution is great. The suspense is a lovecraftian suspense and this manga is a great example of HOW a mystery manga should be written. One thing that sets this apart from most manga is that it is not really set-up as a manga.

Here is the author's interview.
Neane

Postby MangaRocks! » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:21 pm

Gin no Saji, a.k.a. Silver Spoon, chapters 32-33: Ha! I knew that wasn't going to get resolved that easily... :grin:

Akagami no Shirayuki Hime chapter 32: Interesting. Guess I was expecting just a *little* more backstory there :), but actually it does make sense that there wasn't a lot, because those characters knew each other from during that time frame, so naturally there wouldn't be a need for them to talk much about it. Good as always, though, and I'm looking forward to the next chapter!

Spice & Wolf (novel #2): Definitely better than the first one. The church-jabs were still annoyingly present :shake:, but the story was more intense (in a good way), and the relationship between Lawrence and Holo is excellent, so I'll continue.

Finally, The Wavering Of Haruhi Suzumiya (novel #6): Out of all of the Haruhi books that I've read so far, this particular volume was probably my least favorite; *but* that doesn't mean it wasn't good-- it was just not *quite* as good as the others overall. :) (Indeed, there were still some excellent moments, such as the little hints about Kyon that were slipped into the middle of the second story; the entire Yuki-focused story {and the interesting little insight on Koizumi buried within it}; and the finale, which sets up the next, full-length novel and also introduces some more neat time-travel/important-to-the-future/enemy stuff.) Can't wait until June for the next one!
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Neane » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:25 am

I have been Reading Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Deleted Affair: Portrait Of Young Comet
It's mainly about Char's life on Axis after the One Year War up to Zeta Gundam and how he has to deal with the struggle of the Zeon's remains while hardliners are desperately trying to ignite another war for independence despite Zeon's current shortcomings. We also get a glimpse of the Qubeley's predecessor Rick Dom "Schnee Weiss" and how the whole psycom-system developed through the years as well as little cameos of a young Mashymre Cello and Chara Soon.

Beginning reads like a bad fanfic but it picks up...I like the whole politically scheming and it has some tactical battles as well. Of course, Haman plays pivotal role too and is another reason I'm reading this. Character Development came along and everything is going better than expected.

This is one of the best Gundam manga adaptations. Fans of Mobile Suit Gundam and Zeta Gundam should definitely read this.
Neane

Postby Zeldafan2 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:52 am

I have officially started reading One Piece. (The first manga I have ever started to read from beginning to end.) It is AWESOME so far.
Zeldafan2

Postby Smileloviene » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:35 pm

MightiMidget (post: 1540508) wrote:Read volumes 1-4 of Vampire Knight.

lol. but fun. and still Zero ftw.

Amen to that. Zero all the way. I'm still following that manga, just because I support him as a character :thumb: if they leave him miserable in the end I will wipe the manga's existence from my mind entirely :P

Roxi (post: 1540805) wrote:High School Debut & Bokura Ga Ita :)

Highschool Debut! Good one! :n_n:

Lately I've been into... quite a few. I guess Mishounen Produce is the newest one I picked up... I'm such a sucker for childhood sweethearts... and the girl is funny... and the guy is just amazing in all circles. Good stuff :rock:
[font="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][color="DarkOrchid"]The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. ~ Habakkuk 3:19[/color][/SIZE][/font][PHP][/PHP]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Yellow"]@)[/color][color="Lime"]}~`,~[/color][color="Cyan"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Carry This Rose In Your Signature, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/font][/color]
Smileloviene

Postby Atria35 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:43 pm

High School Debut 1-9- How can a girl that's so into shoujo manga be so genre-blind? It borders on stupidity. She's fairly cookie-cutter, but I really like how they focus on her bf's change. If they had made this about him, it would be a better manga.
Atria35

Postby Maokun » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:06 pm

Neane (post: 1541041) wrote:I highly recommend it, the plot in this is peerless, and the execution is great. The suspense is a lovecraftian suspense and this manga is a great example of HOW a mystery manga should be written. One thing that sets this apart from most manga is that it is not really set-up as a manga.

SOLD

I read Negima!'s first (long) chapter. Ugh, it was absolutely everything that I would have expected it to be following the little I head of it before. It's solely on blkmage's assurance that after the shameless hooking in for the Love Hina-otaku it becomes a fairly good shounen story that I'll press on.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou keeps being excellent as I move into volume 4 and more little hints to an overlaying mystery are given. This is definitely not a series to marathon, but to enjoy a little bit of daily, like you'd do with a good tea.

Maokun

Postby _GazeRockMei_ » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:16 pm

I'm currently reading Pandora Hearts n_n
_GazeRockMei_

Postby blkmage » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:44 pm

Maokun (post: 1541449) wrote:SOLD

I read Negima!'s first (long) chapter. Ugh, it was absolutely everything that I would have expected it to be following the little I head of it before. It's solely on blkmage's assurance that after the shameless hooking in for the Love Hina-otaku it becomes a fairly good shounen story that I'll press on.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou keeps being excellent as I move into volume 4 and more little hints to an overlaying mystery are given. This is definitely not a series to marathon, but to enjoy a little bit of daily, like you'd do with a good tea.

Here, have a page or two from later on.

blkmage

Postby Atria35 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:37 am

High School Debut v 10-13 (complete)- This really, really would have been better if it had focused on the boyfriend instead of the girl. MAN. I was irritated by the seventh volume. Finishing was really hard to do.
Atria35

Postby _GazeRockMei_ » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:38 pm

Reading Love So Life.
_GazeRockMei_

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews