Mobile Suit Gundam

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby blkmage » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:59 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1529207) wrote:It's my understanding that what you're referring to has only been done in First Gundam, though there are admittedly a few I haven't seen (please, no spoilers).

The other big one that should ring a bell is Four in Z.
blkmage

Postby MasterDias » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:24 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1529207) wrote:It's my understanding that what you're referring to has only been done in First Gundam, though there are admittedly a few I haven't seen (please, no spoilers).

Eh, the situation was the closest to what happened in AGE probably, but I really wouldn't say it was the only one. My point wasn't the amount of times it's been used though, but rather the heavy foreshadowing AGE did of it.

To be fair, I do think they have been attempting to throw new twists on things. Grodek is pretty different for a Gundam captain, and the whole multi-generational story was what originally caught my attention. But how well they have been succeeding overall...well...I don't know.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:58 pm

blkmage (post: 1529216) wrote:The other big one that should ring a bell is Four in Z.
My memory may be a bit fuzzy, but didn't[spoiler]Kamille actually kill her by his own hand after fighting against her many times?[/spoiler]I recall her spiral towards the end being quite different anyway. I think the parallel fits much more tightly with First Gundam.

But, let's say you're right and First and Zeta make a similar move but then no subsequent Gundam series thereafter does so, for 25 years, until AGE. I think it would be a bit churlish to say that AGE is simply following the Gundam formula, and that this plot development is just another Gundam trope, if it is in fact the case that the first two Gundam series use it while dozens more over several decades don't use it. That's all I'm sayin'.
MasterDias (post: 1529217) wrote:My point wasn't the amount of times it's been used though, but rather the heavy foreshadowing AGE did of it.
This is a fair criticism of the writing as such, and I do agree that the writers were not subtle here at all (yet it still affects me...what does say about me?). I just didn't think that the move was necessarily a Gundam trope and to dock points for that reason seemed a tad harsh.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:19 am

I didn't list every single one because you said you didn't want spoilers.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:32 am

blkmage (post: 1529240) wrote:I didn't list every single one because you said you didn't want spoilers.
Oh...right...

Of course I did =).
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Rocketshipper » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:46 pm

Jessie and James, together forever!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!! Save me!!

Eternal Defender of Tracey Sketchit. If you are a Brock lover, beware ^_^

"Like the moon over
the day, my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools"-Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Confused about the meaning of the screen name??

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/RocketShipping

Go here and be enlightened ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Click the above link...I dare you.

http://community.livejournal.com/ship_manifesto/87185.html

The best essay on Junzumi shipping ever ^^.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rocketshipper
Rocketshipper

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:42 pm

Rocketshipper (post: 1529310) wrote:I am surprised no one has mentioned this issue yet.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/bandai_downsizing_ken_iyadomi_interview
See other threads for some discussion about it. Maybe not the most intuitively obvious place to look for said discussion, but it be dere.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby battletech » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:59 am

[img]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/bluebattletech/amuro_ray_emblem1_zps864eefb8.png[/img]
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Postby blkmage » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:50 am

The 00 entries are perfect.
blkmage

Postby blkmage » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:48 pm

Hm, doesn't seem like too bad of a start to the new arc, although it feels oddly positive.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:59 pm

Flit is now much more interesting: caring family man with great kids but also a hardened, xenophobic warrior with a "righteous" cause fostered in the ruins of his boyhood savior complex. This is the advantage of the "generations method" of storytelling.

On the negative side, let us hope we got all the mains vs bullies shenanigans out of the way.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:25 am

MONTAAAAAAAGE!

Side note: how the crap is Vargas still alive? He already looked super old in the first generation, and he is still kicking (and operating motor vehicles!) here. What is his secret?
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:32 am

I'm sure there's a joke to be made about vegans here
blkmage

Postby blkmage » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:06 pm

First volume first week sales counting time!

W - 13274 LD+VHS
X - 6598 LD
∀ - 1185 DVD
SEED - 30147 DVD
SEED Destiny - 56760 DVD
00 - 22847 DVD
00 S2 - 23813 DVD
AGE - 1991 BD

Depending on how you read this chart, this could be good or bad news.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:46 pm

So, I purchased 08th MS Team recently, and I thought it was quite solid. It had that whole Patlabor-ish thing going on where you just enjoy seeing the team interact and genuinely like all of them. The show also boasts a female lead who might be the most attractive one in all of Gundam? At least from the shows I've seen, she takes the proverbial cake. The love story really took center stage for me and was pretty compelling stuff. The ending was a bit odd (maybe Kanda hadn't written it before he died?), and I did stop and wonder why more of these Gundam-esque MS's weren't at A Bao A Qu. Still, it's UC Gundam and is pretty good stuff overall.

Also rewatched Encounters in Space tonight. Good grief, that is an excellent movie!
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:03 am

Just rewatched 0080: War in the Pocket. It was even more powerful to me the second time around. This is a lofty statement, but I believe this OAV transcends Gundam to be a just a great, moving story about friends that are really like brothers and the effects of war on the non-combatants. War in the Pocket isn't the coolest or slickest Gundam show around, but it has the greatest capacity to deeply move me emotionally. I am extremely fond of this show.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Agloval » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:36 pm

To my mind the latest couple of episodes of AGE have been really neat. There was one really nicely-animated fight and a couple of fairly significant revelations.

[spoiler]I'll be interested to see where they go with the idea that the present hero isn't a Newty-- sorry, X-Rounder[/spoiler]--

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1536186) wrote:transcends Gundam to be a just a great, moving story about friends that are really like brothers and the effects of war on the non-combatants.
I think it's certainly unusual and 'transcendent' in one sense within the franchise, because I think it can be pretty well enjoyed by people who aren't very interested in Gundam. And I don't even mean in a 'this is a route into Gundam' way, just in a 'this is a cool six-episode thing, no further obligations' way.
'That blast is blown for me, for I am the prize, and yet am I not dead.'
Agloval

Postby blkmage » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:20 pm

Yeah, I had some reservations about it descending into Gundam SEED silliness and crying, but I like the direction it's headed with this week's episode.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:38 pm

@Agloval - On 0080: Yeah, my sentiments exactly.

@blkmage - On AGE: I'm surprised you're being as lenient on the writing as you are. It's got that same "convenience of an RPG" thing going on: Asemu has a problem, but then, from nowhere, an NPC--er, I mean secondary character, starts talking about the exact same issue in his life and how he overcame it. I haven't had much of a problem with this, but I know it bothered you before. Maybe the bar has been significantly lowered?
---
I do hope Asemu does not turn out to be an X Rounder because I can just see it "the tests were wrong, he overcame a D ranking to awaken his powers, etc." If they keep it "Natural vs. Coordinator," then it could be pretty interesting.

I'm also digging the AGE 2 design more and more.

Oh, and how could I forget to post this gem:

Thank you for your parenting, Dique.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:53 pm

It doesn't seem as egregious because it's not a plot contrivance.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:45 pm

blkmage (post: 1537391) wrote:It doesn't seem as egregious because it's not a plot contrivance.
It seemed to me that Asemu's internal problem and his current solution to it were the engine that drove the plot this week. And this problem->resolution schema is that same video gamey kind of convenient as G!, IMO.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:13 pm

Well, it's like, a guy who talks to you because you're down doesn't seem as contrived as a bunch of guys or things showing up that you have to fight or fight with you.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:58 pm

blkmage (post: 1537419) wrote:Well, it's like, a guy who talks to you because you're down doesn't seem as contrived as a bunch of guys or things showing up that you have to fight or fight with you.
Sure. I am on board with that. I guess I was looking at the construct of the actual conversation on a micro level and how it just happened to relate to an inner turmoil, unknown to one of the interlocutors. But, yeah, stepping back and taking a more macro look, Fardain trumps Mechanic Jr.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby MasterDias » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:18 pm

I'm somewhat bothered the anime didn't really show very many substantial scenes of Asemu/Romary/Zeheart interacting, outside of the montage in the ending (although it's a pretty awesome ending). It was like they went from their first meeting to...suddenly timeskip. So, I can't really bring myself to care that much about the love triangle. Ah, well.

I like Arisa, and am going to be annoyed if they keep having her have to get bailed out in every battle.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby blkmage » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:06 pm

I actually don't remember how Romary got introduced to those two.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:08 pm

blkmage (post: 1537620) wrote:I actually don't remember how Romary got introduced to those two.
She just kinda walked in to the mobile suit club meeting. I think the second time she showed up, Zehart caught a flying wrench just before it hit her head, and she was all, "Ooooh, Zehart so dreamy!"
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby battletech » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:42 am

Watching Gundam X again. The show still keeps my interest even now during my third watching. It's a great Gundam series. I have come up with some reasons why it is.
1.newtype dolphin
2 mobile suits on snowboards
3 best explanation of newtypes
Any one what to add to my list?
[img]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/bluebattletech/amuro_ray_emblem1_zps864eefb8.png[/img]
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:04 am

battletech (post: 1537843) wrote:Watching Gundam X again. The show still keeps my interest even now during my third watching. It's a great Gundam series. I have come up with some reasons why it is.
1.newtype dolphin
2 mobile suits on snowboards
3 best explanation of newtypes
Any one what to add to my list?

The Frost Brothers
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Agloval » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:27 am

The mechanic who looks at a pile of scraps and discarded battleship weaponry and sees a mobile suit upgrade.
'That blast is blown for me, for I am the prize, and yet am I not dead.'
Agloval

Postby blkmage » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:23 pm

Very neat episode this week.
blkmage

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews