Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:41 pm

Atria35 (post: 1537121) wrote:@ AngelicTotoro- There is not a lot of usage of tarot cards. I only recall them appearing at all 3-5 times during the entire show. The show doesn't hinge on any way on her use of tarot cards. It's impled that she has ESP powers, which again isn't really a big factor into the show.

Now, on your PTW list is Kaleido Star- THAT has a decent usage of tarot cards, almost once an episode.

Compare.
Yeah, this is accurate.

The idea is that Hitomi is a psychic, so the cards work because it's her using them, not because of any inherent power in the cards. She mostly using dowsing to make predictions after a certain point in the series. Shoji Kawamori (one of the guys behind Macross and DYRL) was kind of into this sort of stuff when he was coming up with the concept for Escaflowne, but there's nothing sinister about it, IMO.

Also, on Gundam content, most of the UC stuff I've seen has Macross level nudity and varying degrees of violence. People are always getting blown up in mobile suits, but 08th MS Team and 0080 have a more graphic depiction of this violence than, say, Zeta Gundam or First Gundam.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Maokun » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:49 pm

Yeah. It's simply a plot device. Have you seen how many series start with a dream sequence that ends being prophetic? Escaflowne does exactly that with Tarot cards. That's it, nothing else. It's a necessary device in these Campbellian hero stories told in episodes because the first episode has to introduce and contextualize the main hero(ine) in his or her normal, pre-adventure life... which makes for a really boring first episode for a long action series that is trying to catch viewers! That's why prognostication devices of any sort are used liberally to show what the series will be about once the adventure starts.

In Escaflowne's case I'm almost grateful that they used Tarot cards because the dream sequence has been so used and abused that it's now a very grating cliche.

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:37 pm

Cianter (post: 1537085) wrote:Heyya, I just saw your post and was curious, since I'm a TOTAL Gundam noob, and just stumbled upon Gundam SEED by chance, why is it considered bad? Just curious, but I deffinitely want to check out the other ones:)
So, above I mentioned that the newer AU Gundam series tend to emphasize certain elements of Gundam that were previously fringe elements, i.e. pretty boys, cute girls, fan service. The opinion of many fans is that these shows push such elements at the expense of what Gundam had previously been about: a dark war story featuring mecha. This began with Gundam Wing. SEED took the torch from Wing into the 21st century. This is why some fans are down on it; it represents a departure from what Gundma had been about until 10-15 years ago.

I am in the middle of watching SEED, and I actually like it quite a bit. I have heard, even from people that like SEED, that SEED Destiny is a miserable failure, though.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Neane » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:12 pm

It has been a while, but SEED was nothing more than a string of events that were just made so that people would be interested in it....also while Most Gundam has some writing problems, SEED's were bigger than most of them. And yes, SEED is popular among women because they love to pair the guys together for some reason. Besides SEED I can also say that Code Geass as another blatant example of a series that that caters to Fujoshi taste though essentially a mecha opera as well.

SEED Destiny was pretty terrible in the end, but Destiny was just cursed with terrible execution due to the makers rushing it out to try to capitalize on a hit series. In fact, Seed Destiny was better than the Main Seed Series ...up until episode 13. It had the potential to become one of the best Gundam Series but after episode 13 it became utter ****. [It was all set to explore the lingering resentment of 2 societies that just barely avoided genocide. There was a ton of potential.]
Neane

Postby Cianter » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:07 am

Ok, thanks, I'll have to watch the others, but SEED will probably always be loved by me..lolXD ANYWAYS, lol, I just have ONE question. What does Fujoshi mean? Sorry, I'm stll relatively new to anime:) Oh, also, I have been wondering about the content of Code Geass, does it have allot of sexual innuendos? Any info on content would be appreciated, please and thank you^_^
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][color="DarkOrchid"]Yes, I'm a girl. I push doors that clearly say PULL. I laugh harder when I try to explain why I'm laughing. I walk into a room and forget why I went in there. I count on my fingers in math class. I try to accomplish things when there is still time on the microwave. I lie sometimes to hide the pain. I say it's a long story when it's really not.[/color]

[color="Yellow"]When you're home alone: 10%-Say "who is it" 64%-Look through the peep hole then open it if you know them 25%-Open the door 1%-Crawl around on the ground like a ninja and look through the window very quietly to make sure it isn't a masked murderer. I'm that 1%[/color]

[color="Red"]I'm so talented I can fall up stairs, trip on flat surfaces, and get hit by parked cars XD[/color]

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Cianter
Cianter

Postby Maokun » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:33 am

Code Geass has a couple of female characters whose generous measures (and innocent/aloof demeanor) makes them victim of other characters wanting to dress them in super revealing outfits. However, they are secondary characters and such events only happen in the extremely rare comedy-only episodes that could even be skipped entirely, if I remember correctly. There's also another secondary female character who develops an unhealthy obsession with another female character for a short time and there's a very brief scene in which is heavily implied that she's touching herself while thinking about her.

That's the extent of bad content in Code Geass. Otherwise is one of my favourite mecha series.

Doc, if you read this, I'll once again beseech you to watch this series. :P

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
Maokun

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:48 am

Cianter (post: 1537183) wrote:What does Fujoshi mean?
In Japanese it literally means dirty girl or rotten girl. Fujoshi are female fans who are WAY into imagining (and drawing) male characters from a series in love and being sexually intimate with each other. It can refer to fans of boys love manga/anime in general, but I think the original meaning has more to do with fans obsessing over a hypothetical homosexual relationship.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Maokun » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:22 am

Dooooc don't ignore me sadface.jpg

Maokun

Postby Cianter » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:30 am

hmmmmm
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][color="DarkOrchid"]Yes, I'm a girl. I push doors that clearly say PULL. I laugh harder when I try to explain why I'm laughing. I walk into a room and forget why I went in there. I count on my fingers in math class. I try to accomplish things when there is still time on the microwave. I lie sometimes to hide the pain. I say it's a long story when it's really not.[/color]

[color="Yellow"]When you're home alone: 10%-Say "who is it" 64%-Look through the peep hole then open it if you know them 25%-Open the door 1%-Crawl around on the ground like a ninja and look through the window very quietly to make sure it isn't a masked murderer. I'm that 1%[/color]

[color="Red"]I'm so talented I can fall up stairs, trip on flat surfaces, and get hit by parked cars XD[/color]

Cianter

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:27 am

Maokun (post: 1537198) wrote:Dooooc don't ignore me sadface.jpg
Haha, you're not being ignored, my bad =).

I actually do want to get around to it at some point, but there's the little matter of having to put up the dough for R2 (since only R1 is streaming in my country).
Cianter (post: 1537201) wrote:Um, eww......:eh:
Yeah, welcome to modern anime fandom. It can be a scary place for new non-Japanese (or heck, Japanese) people, but it's not too shabby overall, I'd say =).
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Cianter » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:14 am

Lol, yea, agreed:) You can find the good (and awsomely EPIC when it comes to anime:P) in anythinbg, sometimes it just takes some doing:)

Cianter

Postby Maokun » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:56 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1537204) wrote:I actually do want to get around to it at some point, but there's the little matter of having to put up the dough for R2 (since only R1 is streaming in my country).

Ah, that's unfortunate. Try watching R1, anyway. Maybe you won't like it enough to pony up for the second season -or it will give you the motivation to do it :) Not to mention that as you surely have heard, R2 is in average a much inferior series that only gets great again by the last few episodes.

Maokun

Postby Exlon » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:40 pm

The anime I'm mainly watching right now is Clannad, and I'm enjoying it pretty well (liked it enough to get the seasons off iTunes). Ouran High School Host Club is okay, but I'm only watching it on YouTube as I prefer the original manga (which I own). I'm thinking of what other anime I might like to watch, but I really don't know what's out there. My friend suggested Angel Beats, which I think is also by Key (makers of Clannad). Any comments on that show? Suggestions of others?
[SIZE="3"][font="System"][color="PaleTurquoise"]Remember, Sora...you are the one who will open the door to the light.[/color][/font][/SIZE]
Exlon

Postby Atria35 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:10 pm

Angel Beats! is interesting, has a decently unique premise (similar enough to Haibane Renmei that I can't rave about it), fantastic production values, decently interesting characters.... I'm not the best advocate, because I was deeply bothered by the ginormous plot holes and unanswered questions.

Oh, plot-wise it also deals with the concept of reincarnation. It also has some violence (you see people implied to be diced up, fall on spikes, etc, but they can't *die* in this place though they all act really dramatically about it), and is rather heavy on some slapstick comedy in the way of Looney Tunes.
Atria35

Postby Smileloviene » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:30 pm

Maokun (post: 1537188) wrote:Code Geass has a couple of female characters whose generous measures (and innocent/aloof demeanor) makes them victim of other characters wanting to dress them in super revealing outfits. However, they are secondary characters and such events only happen in the extremely rare comedy-only episodes that could even be skipped entirely, if I remember correctly. There's also another secondary female character who develops an unhealthy obsession with another female character for a short time and there's a very brief scene in which is heavily implied that she's touching herself while thinking about her.

That's the extent of bad content in Code Geass. Otherwise is one of my favourite mecha series.

Doc, if you read this, I'll once again beseech you to watch this series. :P

Wow... I didn't rememeber half that bad stuff... which girl gets obsessed with another girl? Oh... wait... was that the girl with the glasses that got obsessed with the pink haired princess? Lol... totally forgot about it... but I have a hazzy recollection now. For me... I'd say watch Code Geass with caution? But to be honest, I loved the series so much with the last episode that I wish I could just recommend it to everyone... darn fanservice.

Maokun (post: 1537298) wrote:Ah, that's unfortunate. Try watching R1, anyway. Maybe you won't like it enough to pony up for the second season -or it will give you the motivation to do it :) Not to mention that as you surely have heard, R2 is in average a much inferior series that only gets great again by the last few episodes.

Hmmm... I think the whole series is fascinating, but yeah, the least two episodes or maybe just the last ten minutes are the absolute best.

Exlon (post: 1537342) wrote:The anime I'm mainly watching right now is Clannad, and I'm enjoying it pretty well (liked it enough to get the seasons off iTunes). Ouran High School Host Club is okay, but I'm only watching it on YouTube as I prefer the original manga (which I own). I'm thinking of what other anime I might like to watch, but I really don't know what's out there. My friend suggested Angel Beats, which I think is also by Key (makers of Clannad). Any comments on that show? Suggestions of others?

Ah... finish Clannad, first off. IT IS SO GOOD! First season for laughs, second season for tears and goodness.
Angel Beats. YES! When I first heard about the series I thought I was dumb, but it turned out to be one of the best I've ever seen :) The Animation is beautiful, the characters are unique, most the jokes are clean, and the plot is gripping. Can make you laugh your head off then nearly bring you to tears. Overall, INCREDIBLE. I agree with Atria. The violence is just humorous. Blood, yes. But they can't die so its just over dramatic and made into a joke ;) Basically, good all around and I fully recommend it :thumb:
[font="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][color="DarkOrchid"]The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. ~ Habakkuk 3:19[/color][/SIZE][/font][PHP][/PHP]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Yellow"]@)[/color][color="Lime"]}~`,~[/color][color="Cyan"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Carry This Rose In Your Signature, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/font][/color]
Smileloviene

Postby Neane » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:28 pm

I am with Atria35 on Angel Beats. I would recommend Haibane Renmei instead of Angel Beats.
Neane

Postby AngelicTotoro » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:42 pm

@Atria, Doc, Maokun: If the cards are only used for that, then it's not a problem. Escaflowne has been added to my watch list.
Thanks so much! ^_^

Oh, and I didn't remember Kaleido Star having tarot cards... but now that you've mentioned it, I guess it does. 0_0
(Of course, it's one of those shows that I don't know if I'll ever get around to watching... due to my now lack of interest, so that doesn't really matter. :sweat:)

Thanks again!
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby Exlon » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:34 pm

Two anime I'm wondering about:
Ef: A Tale of Memories and Broken Blade. Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? :) I'm looking for what might the type that's good enough to own. Although it seems like both are rather short, unless they're unfinished...
[SIZE="3"][font="System"][color="PaleTurquoise"]Remember, Sora...you are the one who will open the door to the light.[/color][/font][/SIZE]
Exlon

Postby Neane » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:47 pm

ef: a tale of memories is a great romance anime.
Objectable Content that is in this series: Some Female Nudity and implied sex.

Broken Blade I have not seen.
Neane

Postby Agloval » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:25 am

Exlon (post: 1537678) wrote:Broken Blade

BB is a decent but not spectacularly good. It's nicely animated and has some lovely mechanical designs, and this neat clunky low-magic fantasy aesthetic -- which makes for some rather fine giant robot fighting.

Plotwise it's entertaining but nothing more, and it doesn't really wrap things up, because the manga from which it was adapted is still ongoing. There's a conclusion of sorts, but none of the really large plot conflicts are resolved.

In terms of objectionable content, there's a moderate amount of violence with fairly limited actual gore, and a mild-to-moderate amount of fanservice.

I'm not sure I'd pay to own Broken Blade, but I might. It'd depend on how mech-hungry I was on any given day, I think.
'That blast is blown for me, for I am the prize, and yet am I not dead.'
Agloval

Postby Exlon » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:05 pm

If I like Clannad, what else is worth watching? :)
Exlon

Postby Neane » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:12 pm

Well, ef: a tale of memories is one if you are okay with the Content.
Other than that.......
I would highly recommend Shinkai's 5 Centimeters per Second, I am pretty sure you can watch for free on Crunchyroll?
Also Honey and Clover is great too. Also Nodame Cantabile . [Which is Wonderful.]
Another good drama is Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai.

It all has to do with what made you love Clanned? What are you looking for in an anime?
[PS: Have you watched Clanned: After Story yet? Clanned is nothing but the prequel.]
Neane

Postby Exlon » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:36 pm

I watching the After Story right now, just kind of wondering what I'm going to do after I'm done with it. XD I think I've watched the first 6 or 7 episodes of that so far. Sadly, I haven't gotten into it quite yet (I guess there's a lot more though), unlike the first season, which I got into very quickly.

I'm not sure about ef: a tale of memories, as I guess I'm just picky about sexual content...
Exlon

Postby Smileloviene » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:51 pm

Exlon (post: 1538314) wrote:If I like Clannad, what else is worth watching? :)

First, finish the After Story ]Kanon[/B]? It's by the same company, and I enjoyed it a lot. Watch the newer version, not the old one. I also agree with the suggestion of Honey and Clover. Otherwise, Angel Beats and Toradora are both good :thumb:
[font="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][color="DarkOrchid"]The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. ~ Habakkuk 3:19[/color][/SIZE][/font][PHP][/PHP]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Yellow"]@)[/color][color="Lime"]}~`,~[/color][color="Cyan"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Carry This Rose In Your Signature, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/font][/color]
Smileloviene

Postby Neane » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:00 pm

Oh Forgot...After you are done with Clanned: After Story...go watch [B]Usagi Drop[/B].
It works best if you watch it after you are done with [B]Clanned: After Story[/B].
Neane

Postby Smileloviene » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:44 pm

So, I've got another question :cool:
I watched Bakemonotagari (spelling?) recently... and am considering watching the second season, (which starts with an n... but I don't remember the exact name) but don't really want to if it isn't as good or has more fanservice than the first (already was turned off by how much they had in the first season). So... does anyone know if the second season is any good?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Smileloviene

Postby Vilo159 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:58 pm

Hi people, Im new here.
I'm looking for suggestions for an anime that doesn't have much fan service. It makes me so sad when an anime has a great story and characters, but is too full of fan service to be worth watching. I've watched InuYasha, Trigun, Tsubasa Chronicles, and I'm gonna start Last Exile because I've heard good things about it. I've turned away from a few recently because of fan service, namely Chobits and Soul Eater. Chobits was pretty good, but the constant perverted references were too much. Soul eater made me so sad to turn down, because after 7 episodes, the character development was fantastic. I just got tired of seeing Tsubaki in the shower, and more than a few characters were pretty oversexualized. That, and it was getting pretty bloody. Made me very sad, but I couldn't let myself keep watching it. I'm not looking for any specific genre, as long as its good. if you could be specific as to whats bad in a show, I would appreciate it.
I'm a Mormon, if that gives anyone an idea of what my standards are.
Vilo159

Postby Vilo159 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:02 pm

Hi people, Im new here.
I'm looking for suggestions for an anime that doesn't have much fan service. It makes me so sad when an anime has a great story and characters, but is too full of fan service to be worth watching. I've watched InuYasha, Trigun, Tsubasa Chronicles, and I'm gonna start Last Exile because I've heard good things about it. I've turned away from a few recently because of fan service, namely Chobits and Soul Eater. Chobits was pretty good, but the constant perverted references were too much. Soul eater made me so sad to turn down, because after 7 episodes, the character development was fantastic. I just got tired of seeing Tsubaki in the shower, and more than a few characters were pretty oversexualized. That, and it was getting pretty bloody. Made me very sad, but I couldn't let myself keep watching it. I'm not looking for any specific genre, as long as its good. if you could be specific as to whats bad in a show, I would appreciate it.
I'm a Mormon, if that gives anyone an idea of what my standards are.
Vilo159

Postby Neane » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:47 pm

Above: For Nisemonogatari: There is a lot more. There is sexually suggestive dialouge, a semi-naked vampire loli bath-scene [Shinobu] , A Toothbrush Scene that is very sexually suggestive. Most of it is sexually suggestive, and there is also there fanservice from Mayoi. Yes, there is a lot more fanservice. And it is over all weaker in story than Bakemonogatari, it is more focused on Comedy.

As for me, I require some Movie Recommendations from this wonderful community. I am in need of more anime movies for my upcoming Spring Break, I just watched the first Kara no Kyōkai movie and that was a pretty good and thus I will continue watching that Movie Series. I am also not a big fan of Studio Ghibli, but there were two movies I liked.
I have seen the following[I will rate from 1 to 5 how much I enjoyed it.]
Jin-Roh *****
End of Evangelion *****
Both Evagelion Rebuilds [First one: ***, Second One: ****]
Ghost in the Shell *****
Ghost in the Shell 2 ****
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya *
Arrietty *
Paprika *****
Conquest of the Stars ****
The Cowbop Bebop Movie ****
The Sky Crawlers ****
AKIRA *****
First Kara no Kyōkai movie ****
Sword of the Stranger *****
Princess Mononoke ****
Dead Leaves ****
Brave Story ****
The First Mardock Scramble movie ****
Ninja Scroll ***
Barefoot Gen *****
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within ***
Grave of the Fireflies *****
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind ***** [My Favorite Ghibli movie.]
Locke the Superman***
Windaria ****
Onboro Film ***
Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack ****
Ideon: Be Invoked ***
Neane

Postby Maokun » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:57 pm

Neane (post: 1541388) wrote:Above: For Nisemonogatari: There is a lot more. There is sexually suggestive dialouge, a semi-naked vampire loli bath-scene [Shinobu] , A Toothbrush Scene that is very sexually suggestive. Most of it is sexually suggestive, and there is also there fanservice from Mayoi. Yes, there is a lot more fanservice. And it is over all weaker in story than Bakemonogatari, it is more focused on Comedy.

...and ethical philosophy.

As for your request:

Spirited Away: For a Ghibli movie it stands at a sort of half point between the epic movies like Nausicaa and the kiddie flights of fancy like Totoro and Kiki. It's personally, my second favourite of their filmography (after Nausicaa) and I believe you may enjoy it too.

Rail of the Star: A Grave of the Fireflies-like movie if much less tragic.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time: Have you truly not watched this? You are missing, it's my favourite anime movie and one of my favourite movies, period.

Tokyo Godfathers: My second favourite anime movie. Though I believe you may enjoy more Perfect Blue to get you started with the genius of the late Satoshi Kon.

Maokun

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews