What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby Neane » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:30 pm

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1532693) wrote:So, I tried to look into it more, and could hardly find anything about it. Is it new, or just really obscure? I mean, it's not even on MAL or wikipedia <_<

The Shoukoku no Altair page on MAL.
Neane

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:07 pm

Finished the first volume of Spice and Wolf. Has some witty dialogue, fun characters and good pacing.
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”-Oscar Wilde

“Books change us. Books save us. I know this because it happened to me.”Elif Shafak

"Don't stop unbelieving, never give into your unfeelings"-Mabel Pines, Gravity Falls
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby Atria35 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:15 pm

Mei-Mei (post: 1532695) wrote:I'm currently reading Gakuen Alice... and loving it.

That is one of my favorite manga on the planet :thumb:

Tramps Like Us 8-14 (complete)- Totally called what was going to happen. Everyone ended up with who I thought they would. But watching it all play out was rather fun when the stakes got amped up in the second half.
Atria35

Postby Exlon » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:37 pm

I'm reading Volume 2 of Kimi ni Todoke. :) It's sweet, and cute, and I like the story. I like how this is more slice-of-life than Ouran could be, 'cause it actually does have some realistic situations (crush on a nice boy, rumors going around school, misunderstandings between friends). I think I'm secretly more partial to Ouran though. ;)
[SIZE="3"][font="System"][color="PaleTurquoise"]Remember, Sora...you are the one who will open the door to the light.[/color][/font][/SIZE]
Exlon

Postby Atria35 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:36 am

Demon Diary v 1- amusing concept. Will be finishing this series.
Atria35

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:28 am

Hmm, I'll have to put Shoukoku no Altair on my list. For the premise, though I'll admit I looked it up mostly because of the manga-ka's degree. It'll be refreshing after Air Gear's artist misunderstanding every scientific principle imaginable.

smallvillefreak wrote:The big three for me right now are Bleach, Naruto, and Claymore.

Are you up to date on Claymore? I've enjoyed seeing the Organization take the kid gloves off, but I'm still waiting for it to live up to the potential of the plot twist.
uc pseudonym

Postby Atria35 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:58 am

Demon Diary v 2-7- This was really rather cute. I loved how, even for a lgiht shounen-ai title, the girl character comes across as likeable and fun, and even has a love interest at the end of it! (even if he is a silly fop)

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer v 1-2- This is a lot better than I thought it would be. I knew it would be interesting from the first chapter, but by halfway through the first volume... Yeah. It's a heckuva ride! SAD FACE FOREVER for the end of one character. Her sister deserves some love. Wondering what this new guy will bring to the table.
Atria35

Postby Maokun » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:38 am

L&TBH is very engaging in the first few volumes but it's quite light in content as it's simply introducing characters, mechanics and motives. It really does get great later on when all the tasty character development happens.

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby Atria35 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:46 am

^ There's already some interesting character development in terms of our main, but it's been a little sudden. I'm not sure I like [spoiler]how quickly he forgives his grandfather. Considering all the stuff he's been through, that seemed rather contrived. I'm wondering if it will come back to bite him, though.[/spoiler]
Atria35

Postby AnimeGirl » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:56 pm

Read volume 1 of Bakuman. I am really getting into this series. The idea about a manga, telling a story of becoming mangaka is appealing to me because that's my dream, too. I am really curious to see if our artist and writer will reach their goal!
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Maokun » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:13 pm

Atria35 (post: 1533303) wrote:^ There's already some interesting character development in terms of our main, but it's been a little sudden. I'm not sure I like [spoiler]how quickly he forgives his grandfather. Considering all the stuff he's been through, that seemed rather contrived. I'm wondering if it will come back to bite him, though.[/spoiler]

Yeah that was a bit rushed, but in all fairness, being suddenly exposed to the ever-present shadow of mortality via the death of a friend of yours is usually a paradigm-shifting experience for most people.

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
Maokun

Postby Atria35 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:55 pm

Maokun (post: 1533392) wrote:Yeah that was a bit rushed, but in all fairness, being suddenly exposed to the ever-present shadow of mortality via the death of a friend of yours is usually a paradigm-shifting experience for most people.

Just because I feel like I can use this as a valid reason: I hit a guard rail going 75 mph and rolled over 5 times. I'm not sure how much closer I can come to feeling my mortality other than being stuck in a hospital for a few months because of injuries that the accident really should have caused, and I still can't let go of a lot of my own anger and bitterness. This might be the differences between individuals, but I still can't buy how easily he does it.

One Piece 46-48 - Checked it out last week, figured I ought to finish it. This has solidified my vague pretentions of being a SanjixNami shipper. I wasn't so much before. Also- this has some of the more awesome and devious powers that I've seen in the whole series. Zombies b awesome.
Atria35

Postby Maokun » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:37 pm

Atria35 (post: 1533411) wrote:Just because I feel like I can use this as a valid reason: I hit a guard rail going 75 mph and rolled over 5 times. I'm not sure how much closer I can come to feeling my mortality other than being stuck in a hospital for a few months because of injuries that the accident really should have caused, and I still can't let go of a lot of my own anger and bitterness. This might be the differences between individuals, but I still can't buy how easily he does it.

Fair enough. I can't beat that :P

One Piece 46-48 - Checked it out last week, figured I ought to finish it. This has solidified my vague pretentions of being a SanjixNami shipper. I wasn't so much before. Also- this has some of the more awesome and devious powers that I've seen in the whole series. Zombies b awesome.

Eh, Thriller Bark is one of my least favourite arcs but that might be a by-product of coming right after the very excellent Ennis Lobby arc. Also, I'm almost sure that there will be no romantic involvements in this manga. I find that thought refreshingly daring. That if Oda doesn't buckle near the end of the story and just throws together some couplings to appease fans.

Maokun

Postby sim96 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:16 pm

Naruto!!!!!!! and i started this manga Psyren but it cusses allot and im not sure if i like it
sim96

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:24 pm

Pandora Hearts vol. 8: Wow. Only three chapters this time, but they were good ones. [spoiler]Well, I mean, aside from the sheer amount of Vincent Nightray in them :sweat:... seriously, the guy inspires such complete and utter revulsion that I very nearly want to hurl every time he's shown. :eh: And yes, I know that's precisely the point, and yes, it was indeed necessary to show him that much in this volume for the purposes of the story; but, still... ugh. :?: Anyway, *aside* from him :P, this volume was great, explaining a few more things about certain characters' pasts (and natures) while deepening the story further, plus adding some nice character development for both Break and Echo... as well as a somewhat alarming outburst from Gil, to close the volume on a suspenseful note. This story is complex already, but I have a feeling we ain't seen nothin' yet...[/spoiler] Can't wait for the next volume!
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Smileloviene » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:43 pm

MangaRocks! (post: 1533459) wrote:Pandora Hearts vol. 8: Wow. Only three chapters this time, but they were good ones. [spoiler]Well, I mean, aside from the sheer amount of Vincent Nightray in them :sweat:... seriously, the guy inspires such complete and utter revulsion that I very nearly want to hurl every time he's shown. :eh: And yes, I know that's precisely the point, and yes, it was indeed necessary to show him that much in this volume for the purposes of the story]Anyway[/B], *aside* from him :P, this volume was great, explaining a few more things about certain characters' pasts (and natures) while deepening the story further, plus adding some nice character development for both Break and Echo... as well as a somewhat alarming outburst from Gil, to close the volume on a suspenseful note. This story is complex already, but I have a feeling we ain't seen nothin' yet...[/spoiler] Can't wait for the next volume!

LOL!!!! This made me laugh so hard. Do you read them when they come out in America? You have patience that I do not... thus I've used other sources to read it :) Granted, it's still not over, but i can safely tell you: YOU HAVE SEEN NOTHING YET. :rock: But, I will silence myself on this, and let you enjoy it, because it has been and will always be one of my favorites.
[font="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][color="DarkOrchid"]The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. ~ Habakkuk 3:19[/color][/SIZE][/font][PHP][/PHP]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Yellow"]@)[/color][color="Lime"]}~`,~[/color][color="Cyan"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Carry This Rose In Your Signature, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/font][/color]
Smileloviene

Postby MangaRocks! » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:00 pm

Smileloviene (post: 1533615) wrote:LOL!!!! This made me laugh so hard. Do you read them when they come out in America? You have patience that I do not... thus I've used other sources to read it :) Granted, it's still not over, but i can safely tell you: YOU HAVE SEEN NOTHING YET. :rock: But, I will silence myself on this, and let you enjoy it, because it has been and will always be one of my favorites.
Ha, yep-- if a manga is available in America, I stick with the official releases. :) (Though I'll admit that the wait times can indeed be tough :shady:, so I certainly understand you reading ahead! ;))

And thanks-- glad to know that my suspicions were correct. :jump: I'm looking forward to it! :)
Saved by grace.

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:42 pm

Gin no Saji chapter 30 - This one was especially funny! I love the way Arakawa-san exaggerates things :lol:

Tsubasa Chronicle chapters 169-175 - HOW CAN THE PLOT KEEP THICKENING?!!!! D8 I'm continually amazed and inspired with how much these people are willing to endure and give up.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby MangaRocks! » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:36 pm

Gin no Saji, a.k.a. Silver Spoon, chapter 30: Okay... no idea what's going on there, but it was funny. :grin:
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby AnimeGirl » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:59 am

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1534128) wrote:
Tsubasa Chronicle chapters 169-175 - HOW CAN THE PLOT KEEP THICKENING?!!!! D8 I'm continually amazed and inspired with how much these people are willing to endure and give up.

'Tis why it is my most favorite of the favorites!

Also, I am completely amazed at how much CLAMP is willing to torture their own characters! XD!!!
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

AnimeGirl

Postby GeneD » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:15 am

Caught up on some Gin no Saji, up to chapter 20 now. I am still reading Steel Ball Run since pretty much forever, now on chapter 54.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby AnimeGirl » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:35 pm

Geh!! I've seriously become addicted to Bakuman!

I just got done reading Volume 4!!! Oh man, I have to say THAT WAS INTENSE!!! I was laughing, dying of suspense, and cheering!! This manga is so well written, and with perfect scene placement at the right moment, it's almost as good as watching an anime. For a manga to get me this hyped up....wow!

Plus, it's so inspiring to me, since I'm an aspiring mangaka, too! So it's REALLY been pumping me up to stop procrastinating and get to work on my manga which I've neglected!! Yeesh, because of this series I'm actually doing storyboards now. God sometimes talks to us in the weirdest of ways, and what better way than through a manga about CREATING MANGA?!

AnimeGirl

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:11 am

Gin no Saji chapter 31. Ohhhh, I get it - it's a side story! That was hilarious - but I guess that's only to be expected when it comes to Arakawa-san :lol:

Tsubasa Chronicle chapters 176-181 - dun dun DUN! I feel the climax approaching in the distance!
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Atria35 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:53 pm

Realized I have a number of manga on-hold, so started re-reading Hellsing (up to v 2).
Atria35

Postby MangaRocks! » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:11 pm

Gin no Saji, a.k.a. Silver Spoon, chapter 31: Ha! Alright, I get it now. And that was pretty amusing. :grin:
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby CrystalChalice » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:14 pm

Fairy Tail chapters 270-272: There are no words to express my anger at Raven Tail for what they did these past three chapters. :comp:

Silver Spoon chapters 30-31: This sidestory was hilarious all the way through.
Whatever the season in life, the RIGHT attitude makes all the difference.

"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth."
Psalm 121:1-2

"Though our paths may have diverged, you must continue to live out your life with all your might; you must never consider your own life to be something insignificant, and you must never forget about the friends whom you loved for as long as you live."
The Third Rule of Fairy Tail

"Mistakes are not shackles that halt one from stepping forward. Rather, they are that which sustain and grow one's heart.
Mavis Vermilion, Fairy Tail

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.
Avatar Aang, The Legend of Korra
CrystalChalice

Postby Maokun » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:00 am

Marathoned Dragon Head. I had read a review long, long time ago in a magazine, back when it started being serialized in Japan and back then I despaired because I never thought I'd get to see it and the premise sounded really interesting. Needless to say, I was pretty excited I was reminded about it while casually browsing the manga list in MAL, and even more when I managed to get my hands on it.

However, I sadly have to say it didn't totally live to my own hype. The interesting psychological elements were exposed, processed and reprocessed until they were ground into a fine, mind-grating dust; and that when they didn't simply get lost in pretentious and slightly incoherent babbling for which the story suffered greatly at times. The premise and whole plot are indeed original and fascinating but the actual writing was poorly paced and heavy handed and ridden with unexplained plot devices and annoying red herrings. The art -the main redeeming feature- is superbly detailed but the sequential narrative itself is surprisingly clumsy, with tons of panels that don't add anything to the story but rather, obstruct a fluid reading.

It's not all lost, though; it does deliver its thrills and personal drama and some of the long-winded philosophical musings are actually deep and thought-provoking. it's definitely something that could have been really, really great if the author was a more skilled storytelling. If you like survival horror and/or psychological thrillers, you can do much worse than this and at only 10 volumes it's not that big of a time investment.

Maokun

Postby Atria35 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:14 am

Completed Hellsing. Finally. It took me waaaay too long to get back to this after my first attempt. This is an awesome action story, with fascinating characters and an intriguing premise. Overall, I REALLY WANT to see this animated. People, get moving on Ultimate, already! ><
Atria35

Postby Maokun » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:10 pm

I tried reading the first 3 chapters of Katekyo Hitman Reborn! but I'm not sold :/ It's an extreeeeeemely generic shounen that makes all the customary and trite calls of the genre except having a spunky, spirited main character which is usually the driving power of stories of this genre. Also the world mechanics are among the most baffling and absurd I've seen in any manga, shounen or not. I'm a drooling sucker for this genre and I cannot get into this... Does it get any better at all?

Maokun

Postby Exlon » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:11 pm

Azumanga Daioh (omnibus volume). Sad to say...not feeling it. x3 I might've liked Yotsuba&! better. I don't know. Maybe shojo's (sp?) just more my thing. XP
[SIZE="3"][font="System"][color="PaleTurquoise"]Remember, Sora...you are the one who will open the door to the light.[/color][/font][/SIZE]
Exlon

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews