What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby Neane » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:20 pm

Currently I am reading Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui!. It's pretty good.
Neane

Postby wildpurplechild » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:55 pm

Bride of the water God vol 2-4. I love thiss series! it is a bit mature at times, but the story is really good, and the aart is amazing.
Heads up, I don't go on this site much these days...
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

Postby Atria35 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:45 pm

Haruhi 1-6- this comes off as a lot less offensive and irritating than the anime. I have no idea why. But all the same, I'm enjoying this a lot more. Also - ENDLESS 8 ONLY LASTED TWO CHAPTERS. They made 8 episodes out of all this? HOW?!
Atria35

Postby AnimeGirl » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:01 am

Atria35 (post: 1529126) wrote:Haruhi 1-6- this comes off as a lot less offensive and irritating than the anime. I have no idea why. But all the same, I'm enjoying this a lot more. Also - ENDLESS 8 ONLY LASTED TWO CHAPTERS. They made 8 episodes out of all this? HOW?!

Ooh, I've been wanting to read this manga. And Endless 8 was only two chapters? Man, the anime like....extended that to a literal ENDLESS 8. I haven't seen it myself (not that far in yet) but I saw my brother survive it all in one day XD!!

If this is less offensive, I do think you will like the movie of The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. It's more serious than the actual series, so if you watch any anime version of it, then stick to the movie ^.^
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Neane » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:08 pm

I just found out that there is a High School Musical manga. [Yes, THAT High School Musical.]

My reaction after reading some of it.
Neane

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:48 pm

Tramps Like Us v1- This sounds a LOT dirtier than it is. Really. I'm finding it rather fascinating, actually. A little exploitative, but it's gotten a few more chuckles out of me than I thought it would. Thank goodness the library has the entire series!
Atria35

Postby Atria35 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:06 am

AnimeGirl (post: 1529258) wrote:Ooh, I've been wanting to read this manga. And Endless 8 was only two chapters? Man, the anime like....extended that to a literal ENDLESS 8. I haven't seen it myself (not that far in yet) but I saw my brother survive it all in one day XD!!

If this is less offensive, I do think you will like the movie of The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. It's more serious than the actual series, so if you watch any anime version of it, then stick to the movie ^.^

I've heard a lot about the Endless 8. If you were able to get your hands on the manga, I'd say skip the anime Endless, read the manga, and then get back to the anime.

Anywho, read Haruhi v 7-10- Aaaaand now I've read Disappearance. I'm pretty sure that they won't be making any more of the Haruhi series animated (pm if you want to know why), so I'm liking that I'm able to read farther than that. Disappearance was interesting, but I'd like more on the ESP-er because he's fascinating, in a way. And I ship him with Mikuru.
Atria35

Postby blkmage » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:14 pm

If you're watching Endless Eight back to back, it's not as bad as if you were to wait each week for the next one. And the concept is not an entirely bad idea, it's just that it could/should have been done with two or three episodes instead of eight.

It's interesting that you should mention Koizumi, because he's one of more interesting characters (either at the top or just behind Nagato), especially in the later volumes of the light novel. If we're talking only about the SOS-dan, then I'd say it goes Koizumi > Nagato > Kyon > Haruhi > Asahina. I won't rank non-SOS-dan members, because that would be ~spoilers~.
blkmage

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:22 am

Tsubasa Chronicle chapters 153-158

Oh. My. GOODNESS!!!! :wow!: Fai's backstory a;dlkfjwoiejfsnvsdnvsjgiwe *dies*
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:15 pm

Sleeping Beauty Can't Sleep, a.k.a. Suriipingu Biyuutei wa Nemurenai, one shot: Er, this wasn't the most realistic romantic one shot, LOL (I've seen better :)), there's pretty much zero character development to speak of, and etc.; but it was a cute enough one-time read, I guess.

Gin no Saji, a.k.a. Silver Spoon, chapters 25-26: That went in a different direction than the one I had been expecting (and I mean that in a good way!). [spoiler]I had thought that Hachiken was going to buy Pork Bowl alive, not as meat! :sweat: But, actually, that way is better, because it's perfectly realistic (especially for his character). Nicely done.[/spoiler] Kimi ni Todoke vol. 12: Oh man. This manga. Every volume is adorable. Excuse me while I give it a hug. :hug::grin:

Land Of The Blindfolded (complete): Mixing up a school romance plot with some neat supernatural qualities (plus some likable characters :)) made this series quite enjoyable. :thumb:

The Rampage Of Haruhi Suzumiya (novel #5): This one was a short-story volume, the first of which happened to be Endless Eight. And in response to some of the discussion about it above, I can say that yes, it was actually quite a good story in print. As for the second short story, I really liked seeing [spoiler]the just-shortly-before-snapping Yuki showing both some emotion and some attachment to Kyon; that tied in with Disappearance quite nicely.[/spoiler] And the third short story was a great [spoiler]subversion of expectations, because the event that you were to assume was going to be the focus of the story ended up not even featuring at all, LOL! :grin: Which, of course, in turn made it nicely unpredictable in terms of what was going on.[/spoiler] In other words, they were all great; and I love how the author is progressing the overall story, each story within it, and all of the characters. (And, of course, Kyon's brilliant, sardonic narration is never going to get old! :grin:) Can't wait for the next one!

Oh, and I also finally obtained The Art Of Vampire Knight: Matsuri Hino Illustrations art book. And, I must say, for all her talk about lack of skill, Hino-sensei is quite capable of creating some drool-worthy art. :drool::grin:
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Atria35 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:06 pm

Tramps Like Us 1-7- Not quite as subtle or well-done in the relationship drama as Nana, but still manages to touch on a lot of issues concerning the culture of being a working woman- an older one at that, and the pressure that can exert on someone.
Atria35

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:56 pm

So apparently I was mistaken and I can read manga on my home internet. Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer is now at the top of my to-read list.

...But I've got a cold and am rather dopey, and since I know people who like Biscuit Hammer and I'd hate to put in the time and then go "Uhhh I don't remember much", I'm reading Princess Jellyfish instead. It's silly and fun (at least for my half-comatose self) and a lot like how I remember the anime, but the art is... not stupendous. Those limbs can be really bendy, and squiggly too, when encased in sweat pants.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Exlon » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:22 pm

Yotsuba&! Volume 2. I just got the first three volumes of the series to try it out. So the first one wasn't that engaging, but I guess I just need to take the viewpoint that it's just a bunch of cute little scenes and stories and not a plot-heavy thing. As I have volumes 2 & 3 as well, I figure I might as well read them and see why the series is so popular. (Still can't figure out what's with the "&!" part of the title though.)
[SIZE="3"][font="System"][color="PaleTurquoise"]Remember, Sora...you are the one who will open the door to the light.[/color][/font][/SIZE]
Exlon

Postby bushi-kun » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:47 pm

Just started the Rurouni Kenshin manga finally, I am also reading Full Metal Panic and Hellsing.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
bushi-kun

Postby Neane » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:52 pm

Currently reading Shoukoku no Altair .
It takes place in Turkey during the Ottoman Empire and I have to say that the plot and story in this manga is just so original compared to other shounen manga. Also, the historical content is mostly accurate... it might be because the mangaka graduated from The University of Tokyo with a degree in Turkish history.

Has anyone else here read this yet?
Neane

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:22 pm

Neane (post: 1531265) wrote:Currently reading Shoukoku no Altair . It takes place in Turkey during the Ottoman Empire and I have to say that the plot and story in this manga is just so original compared to other shounen manga. Also, the historical content is mostly accurate... it might be because the mangaka graduated from The University of Tokyo with a degree in Turkish history.

Has anyone else here read this yet?

:wow!: No, but I have to read it now!!!!!! I don't even care if it's good or absolutely awful, I must read this.

In other news, I read Gin no Saji chapter 27 and Tsubasa Chronicle chapters 159-162. Can they break my heart any further? :sniffle:
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby CrystalChalice » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:00 pm

Fairy Tail chapters 265-269: [spoiler]The past few chapters with the Grand Magic Games have been really exciting. Also, Mavis came to cheer for Fairy Tail!:lol:[/spoiler]
Whatever the season in life, the RIGHT attitude makes all the difference.

"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth."
Psalm 121:1-2

"Though our paths may have diverged, you must continue to live out your life with all your might; you must never consider your own life to be something insignificant, and you must never forget about the friends whom you loved for as long as you live."
The Third Rule of Fairy Tail

"Mistakes are not shackles that halt one from stepping forward. Rather, they are that which sustain and grow one's heart.
Mavis Vermilion, Fairy Tail

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.
Avatar Aang, The Legend of Korra
CrystalChalice

Postby Neane » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:51 pm

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1531341) wrote::wow!: No, but I have to read it now!!!!!! I don't even care if it's good or absolutely awful, I must read this.

Yeah, I was a bit shocked when I found it. I personally like it and it is quite historically accurate for being an alternate history manga. Also, there is some Shakespeare is in that manga too. Hope you like it when you read it.

Currently reading Hiroki Endo's Tanpenshu short story collections. I laughed when I found the Evangelion reference. Also, the way Dark Horse Comics translated this makes up ,in my mind, for their terrible job with the Narutaru manga. Not all the stories are great, but none are outright terrible and the best ones are masterful. It deals with very mature themes.
Neane

Postby smallvillefreak » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:31 am

The big three for me right now are Bleach, Naruto, and Claymore.
smallvillefreak

Postby Neane » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:07 am

Finished Ciguatera. It was good, but not great. I consider Himizu to be Furuya's best work to date. [I really wish more chapters were out.]

Also reading Ressentiment by Kengo Hanazawa, a very interesting title that flew under the radar when it came out, it is like a combination of Chobits and Welcome to the NHK!. The themes in this manga are more mature than most of the manga out today.

Also, I am a bit disappointed with Biomega at this point. I am thinking of getting rid of it and to start reading either 20th Century Boys or Eden: It's an Endless World!.
Neane

Postby bushi-kun » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:31 pm

Nadia (post: 1531351) wrote:What arc/chapter/volume are you on now? RuroKen is still one of my favorite manga series to date (it was my second taste of manga after Trigun), and I prefer it over the anime, by far. ^_^

I'm in middle of the Kurogasa arc. I have been into the anime ever since it aired on Toonami AAAAges ago, but i just never read the manga.
Also I am soooooo stoked about the movie!
bushi-kun

Postby Smileloviene » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:50 am

bushi-kun (post: 1532228) wrote:I'm in middle of the Kurogasa arc. I have been into the anime ever since it aired on Toonami AAAAges ago, but i just never read the manga.
Also I am soooooo stoked about the movie!

Hahahaha! I saw the preview for that and was like... NO WAY!!!! Definitely excited :thumb: I've never watched the anime... the manga was enough for me, though i enjoyed it thoroughly :P Do you know if the anime covers ALL of the manga, or just part of it? That would be a really long anime if it covered it all, haha :lol:
[font="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][color="DarkOrchid"]The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. ~ Habakkuk 3:19[/color][/SIZE][/font][PHP][/PHP]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Yellow"]@)[/color][color="Lime"]}~`,~[/color][color="Cyan"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Carry This Rose In Your Signature, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/font][/color]
Smileloviene

Postby bushi-kun » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:05 pm

Have you guys heard anything about movie's story? Im curious which characters they will include.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
bushi-kun

Postby Neane » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:07 pm

bushi-kun (post: 1532374) wrote:Have you guys heard anything about movie's story? Im curious which characters they will include.

This is all I know:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1979319/
Neane

Postby Smileloviene » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:04 pm

bushi-kun (post: 1532374) wrote:Have you guys heard anything about movie's story? Im curious which characters they will include.

I just watched the trailer... saw how at least one character looked EXACTLY like the manga character (in outfit if not face ;)) and got psyched :jump:

that... is the extent of my knowledge :thumb:
[font="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][color="DarkOrchid"]The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. ~ Habakkuk 3:19[/color][/SIZE][/font][PHP][/PHP]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Yellow"]@)[/color][color="Lime"]}~`,~[/color][color="Cyan"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Carry This Rose In Your Signature, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/font][/color]
Smileloviene

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:19 pm

Gin no Saji, a.k.a. Silver Spoon, chapters 27-29: Oh man, Arakawa-sensei is so good! She can make the story alternate so rapidly between moods, and yet have it feel so completely natural; and the characters are just great. :thumb:

Kimi to Boku., chapters 19-20: YES!!! Finally some new chapters!!! :jump::jump::jump: And my thoughts on the actual contents of these chapters can be succinctly summed up as: LOL! :lol: (...Okay, well, actually that's more like a summary of 19 + the start of 20, with the latter turning at first a bit melancholy and then rather sweet afterwards. :) But, mostly, LOL. :lol:) Man, I love this manga! :hug:

Dawn Of The Arcana, a.k.a. Reimei no Arcana, vol. 2: Okay-- my thanks to several of you for encouraging me to stick with it. As you know, there was a lot I didn't like about the first volume, and I was continuing only on the promise of more Ajin and time-stuff (and your guys' assurances that it got better :)). Now, having read the second volume, I can agree that it did indeed get better-- and by quite a lot, actually! The characterization is much improved, the whole volume pulled me along more than I had expected it to, and with both the time-stuff and some good political plots really kicking off now, I think I'll actually end up following this to the end. :thumb:

Finally, last but not least, Bakuman vol. 9: This was just plain awesome, and I'm really excited for the next volume!
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby bushi-kun » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:55 pm

[quote="Smileloviene (post: 1532524)"]I just watched the trailer... saw how at least one character looked EXACTLY like the manga character (in outfit if not face ]

I studied it a bit earlier and definitely saw all the main characters besides Yahiko. Villain wise I for sure saw Jin-e, kanryu, and a guy who I am pretty sure was Saito. All I know is that I am beyond excited about it lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
bushi-kun

Postby Neane » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:04 pm

I have to say, the ending to Homunculus was a bit depressing and disturbing. Overall, it was a wonderful series. Currently, Anne Freaks will keep me busy for a while.
Neane

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:06 pm

Neane (post: 1531782) wrote:Yeah, I was a bit shocked when I found it. I personally like it and it is quite historically accurate for being an alternate history manga. Also, there is some Shakespeare is in that manga too. Hope you like it when you read it.

So, I tried to look into it more, and could hardly find anything about it. Is it new, or just really obscure? I mean, it's not even on MAL or wikipedia <_<

Anyway, I read Gin no Saji chapters 28-29, and am excited to finally get some more information on his family life before Yezo.

Also, Tsubasa Chronicle chapters 163-168. Wow. This just keeps getting better and better, and increasingly heart-breaking! DX

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Mei-Mei » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:06 pm

I'm currently reading Gakuen Alice... and loving it.
Mei-Mei

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews