Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

any anime suggeststions?

Postby manslayerBen13 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:47 am

Just finished trigun cant find any good anime :?:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]blade vs edward is the movie I would like to see
manslayerBen13

Postby gimin1294 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:01 am

Try Gintama, working!!, or GTO
gimin1294

Postby TheMewster » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:03 am

Azumanga Daioh! :)
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby Crossfire » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:49 am

Not trying to play Mod, but you probably should have posted this in this thread:

http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=40642

gimin1294 (post: 1524107) wrote:Try Gintama, working!!, or GTO

Can't speak for GTO, but definitely Gintama and Working!!/Wagnaria!!.
Crossfire

Postby goldenspines » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:00 pm

Oops, too slow. Crossfire ninja'd me!

Merged that thread with the Anime recommendations thread.
goldenspines

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:39 pm

manslayerBen13 (post: 1524102) wrote:Just finished trigun cant find any good anime :?:

What genre(s) interest you?

And is there any content you want to stay away from? (Such as nudity, swearing, violence, etc.?)
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby impact777 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:29 pm

Hi dear caa friends,
can somebody tell me if the anime "case closed" is a good one. I like the movies and they are very clean. But what about the series? Is there any "bad religion" in them? Thank you for your answer. :)
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
impact777

Postby Atria35 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:24 pm

impact777 (post: 1524146) wrote:Hi dear caa friends,
can somebody tell me if the anime "case closed" is a good one. I like the movies and they are very clean. But what about the series? Is there any "bad religion" in them? Thank you for your answer. :)

The series has the same content as the movies. And will help the movies make a lot more sense.
Atria35

Postby Maokun » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:45 am

The only warning that you need is that the series is over 600 episodes and doesn't particularly show signs of aiming towards a conclusion any soon! And only a fraction of those are readily available in English (either sub or dub.) Stay away if you are a completionist! :P

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby eightluvver888 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:30 am

I need a recommendation for something like Darker than Black. Sigh, I looked it up initially and it said 14+, then found out that it was technically 17+ after I watched it. Oops! Anyway, I can handle violence up to that level, though less is probably better. I prefer no or minimal nudity/sex, and I don't want a theme that's too evil.

I was thinking something like Requiem for the Phantom, but that's 17+ too and it has a nice list of things that it's rated for. Can someone tell me if the content is worse than DTB?

Kind of similar, I've watched:
Black Cat
GetBackers
... I think that's it
[SIZE="3"][/SIZE][font="Garamond"]Oh no, he's already fallen off one building today!
[SIZE="1"]MAL[/SIZE][/font]
eightluvver888

Postby impact777 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:12 am

Thank you Atria and Maokun! :)
impact777

Postby Mouse2010 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:58 pm

I've got a last minute request: anyone have recommendations for something that would be fun to marathon on New Year's Eve? Most of my New Year's Eve plans involve staying home and working all day, but I'm not going to work while counting down to midnight, and I thought it might be fun to watch a ton of anime in the evening.

I'd prefer something that streams on Netflix or Hulu.plus. (Either sub or dub is okay; I'm not a purist.) Bonus points if it's an 11-13 episode series, meaning that I could reasonably watch most of it in an evening if I wanted to. (Not that I will necessarily try!) Er, and it has to be something that I can convince my husband to try, which unfortunately rules out many shojo or josei series.

If I can't find anything else, I may just watch the first season of Tower of Druaga again, because that was a lot of fun . . . or maybe Coyote Ragtime Show, which I bought on sale and haven't seen yet. But I thought I'd ask for recommendations first.
Mouse2010

Postby Neane » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:20 pm

Mouse2010 (post: 1524411) wrote:I've got a last minute request: anyone have recommendations for something that would be fun to marathon on New Year's Eve? Most of my New Year's Eve plans involve staying home and working all day, but I'm not going to work while counting down to midnight, and I thought it might be fun to watch a ton of anime in the evening.

I'd prefer something that streams on Netflix or Hulu.plus. (Either sub or dub is okay]Tower of Druaga[/I] again, because that was a lot of fun . . . or maybe Coyote Ragtime Show, which I bought on sale and haven't seen yet. But I thought I'd ask for recommendations first.

Hmmm.... These are ones that I can think of at the moment:

Netflix:

Noein
Baccano!!
Now And Then, Here and There
Casshern Sins

Hulu:

Gungrave [26 episodes]
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo [48 episodes]

Also recommend Monster.
Neane

Postby Vii » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:08 pm

Mouse2010 (post: 1524411) wrote:I've got a last minute request: anyone have recommendations for something that would be fun to marathon on New Year's Eve? Most of my New Year's Eve plans involve staying home and working all day, but I'm not going to work while counting down to midnight, and I thought it might be fun to watch a ton of anime in the evening.

I'd prefer something that streams on Netflix or Hulu.plus. (Either sub or dub is okay]Tower of Druaga[/I] again, because that was a lot of fun . . . or maybe Coyote Ragtime Show, which I bought on sale and haven't seen yet. But I thought I'd ask for recommendations first.

The only one I can think of that completely fits the bill is Baccano!. I believe it's 13 episodes long with three OVA's.
It's a seinen, I think, with a lot of blood and violence.

Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood are on Netflix Instant. They're both really good. They're not short series at all, though.
They're shonen series with a fair bit of violence.

Mushi-shi is also on Netflix Instant. It's a very laid back, episodic show. It has very little action. It's 26 episodes long.
It's a seinen series with a few creepy parts.
Vii

Postby Neane » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:41 am

eightluvver888 (post: 1524332) wrote:I need a recommendation for something like Darker than Black. Sigh, I looked it up initially and it said 14+, then found out that it was technically 17+ after I watched it. Oops! Anyway, I can handle violence up to that level, though less is probably better. I prefer no or minimal nudity/sex, and I don't want a theme that's too evil.

I was thinking something like Requiem for the Phantom, but that's 17+ too and it has a nice list of things that it's rated for. Can someone tell me if the content is worse than DTB?

Black Cat
GetBackers
... I think that's it

Objectionable Content for Requiem for the Phantom:

Yes, it is more than DTB. There is some nudity [ Some semi that occurs when Ein [The main Female of the Show] undresses and side-shown nudity (Meaning: We see her body naked but not from the front, it's from the side. Also some fan-service in the credits but it is not worth noting.] that occurs and there is a great deal of violence. However it is along the lines of Darker than Black. The violence factor is amplified by the nature of the killings that the protagonists preform.

[Spoiler] In one of the early episodes, they kill a child.[/spoiler]
Yes, the content is worse than DTB and it is a very dark show. However, it is a very well done show and is the best assassin show out there. If okay with the material that I listed above, you should be fine.

Other shows that are like DTB that are worth checking out:

Cowboy Bebop

Ergo Proxy
Monster
Skull Man
The Cleaner version of Requiem for the Phantom: Noir [A bit old.]
Gungrave

Also, if you want a very dramatic anime that has no nudity/sexual content: I recommend Kaiji. Best Card Game /Thriller Anime ever made.
The violence factor is within your level. There are some cuss words but it is not a foul-mouthed show.
Neane

Postby Smileloviene » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:02 am

eightluvver888 (post: 1524332) wrote:I need a recommendation for something like Darker than Black. Sigh, I looked it up initially and it said 14+, then found out that it was technically 17+ after I watched it. Oops! Anyway, I can handle violence up to that level, though less is probably better. I prefer no or minimal nudity/sex, and I don't want a theme that's too evil.

Black Cat
GetBackers
... I think that's it

I just thought I'd mention that, since someone just recommended Monster to you, you should know that, while it's one of my favorite shows, it is FULL of sexual content and violence that isn't necessarily gore, but put out in a way that's particularly disturbing. The theme of it is the dark nature of humans basically, so it might be too much if you don't want dark stuff. It is an EXCELLENT show, just now that the plot is following the mind of a serial killer, so if you don't like that, you should steer clear of it.
As for my own recommendations for you, i don't know any that are exactly like darker then black, 'cause it's almost too good to beat :thumb:, however, in the action genre these are ones I liked:

-Wolf's Rain (some nudity, but nothing detailed and only like 3 short scenes in a 20+ episode series, and the violence isn't any worse then dtb)
-Sword of the Stranger (only a movie, but it had excellent plot... but the violence it prolly more then dtb)
-I would also say Code Geass, but you might want to read a review for that first. I think this website has one for it?

Anyway, good luck :)
[font="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][color="DarkOrchid"]The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. ~ Habakkuk 3:19[/color][/SIZE][/font][PHP][/PHP]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Yellow"]@)[/color][color="Lime"]}~`,~[/color][color="Cyan"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Carry This Rose In Your Signature, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/font][/color]
Smileloviene

Postby Smileloviene » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:08 am

Hey, so I know I just posted, but I also have a recommendations question:

I stumbled across this anime, Jigoku Shōjo (or- Hell Girl) and watched the first few episodes. I don't need to know everything that's bad about it, 'cause a taste of it made it pretty clear its chuck full of questionable religious themes and disturbing images... I actually just wanted to know if anyone has watched the the whole series, or most of it, and could answer a question for me.

Simply put, is this anime just about Enma Ai sending people to hell, like the first episodes suggest, or does it start to explore her character?
'Cause, if it's just about people going to hell, I don't find it worth my time, especially considering its pretty creepy. But, if it's actually about her, then I might be interested, if that makes since. No spoilers please :thumb:
[font="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][color="DarkOrchid"]The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. ~ Habakkuk 3:19[/color][/SIZE][/font][PHP][/PHP]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Yellow"]@)[/color][color="Lime"]}~`,~[/color][color="Cyan"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Carry This Rose In Your Signature, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/font][/color]
Smileloviene

Postby Neane » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:14 am

The review that I linked covers all the content that is in it. ^[Also, thanks for pointing that out, Smileloviene about that and the Nature of the Show.]
And there is a review of Code Geass here on this site. I don't remember the content of R2 and I don't know if this review contains the R2 part. And from Smileloviene's list, I really like Sword of the Stranger. And yes, it is pretty violent but other than that: I don't remember anything else bad. [Has one of the best anime fights ever in it.]

Also, on the topic of Darker than Black related anime: Has anyone here seen Blassreiter [AKA: Darker than Black with Motorcycles]? I have been thinking of checking it out for a while and I am wondering if it is a good anime to watch?
Neane

Postby Agloval » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:38 am

Neane (post: 1524545) wrote:Also, on the topic of Darker than Black related anime: Has anyone here seen Blassreiter [AKA: Darker than Black with Motorcycles]? I have been thinking of checking it out for a while and I am wondering if it is a good anime to watch?
I watched about the first half and fell away, though not because I felt strongly that the show was terrible. I didn't have any strong feelings one way or another, apart from being annoyed by the CG work. I'm fairly confident that it wasn't a good anime, though. I also can't remember thinking that it was like Darker Than Black, which I had seen before.

Content wise, it's fairly violent and (IIRC) there was one brief and not especially explicit or titillating sex scene in the part I saw. But it was a while ago so I can't promise my memory's accurate.
'That blast is blown for me, for I am the prize, and yet am I not dead.'
Agloval

Postby Atria35 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:01 pm

Smileloviene (post: 1524540) wrote:I just thought I'd mention that, since someone just recommended Monster to you, you should know that, while it's one of my favorite shows, it is FULL of sexual content and violence that isn't necessarily gore, but put out in a way that's particularly disturbing.

lol wat? As far as sexual content goes, there's merely implied sexual relations in the first episode, barely hinted at. You don't get anything sexual besides that until late in the series, where[spoiler] a boy sees a prostitute at work, and it's not her that's focused on, it's the boy and how traumatized he is, and the whole scene lasts maybe 5 seconds, and then another five seconds very late in the series where you see two people in bed, covered up.[/spoiler] All in all, for a 74 episode series, that's less time focused on anything sexual than in your average PG-13 movie, and some of it is actually important to the storyline. The violence can be disturbing, but a good amount is implied, and most of it no more graphic than your average crime scene show on television.

Smileloviene (post: 1524543) wrote:Simply put, is this anime just about Enma Ai sending people to hell, like the first episodes suggest, or does it start to explore her character?
'Cause, if it's just about people going to hell, I don't find it worth my time, especially considering its pretty creepy. But, if it's actually about her, then I might be interested, if that makes since. No spoilers please :thumb:

The religion part is because it's based off of Buddist beliefs, not Christian ones. As for your question, [spoiler]The second season is about her, in a way- the first season is more for introduction. The first eight episodes are often seen a bit repetitive because they only focus on people getting revenge (for both justified and not reasons). It focuses on the relationship between Enma (Hell Girl), her past, and a girl that attempts to deal with it. The second season is where it ramps up and parallels are made between Enma and a character that isn't in the first season, and where the story truly shines. I don't think you can really understand how powerful the second season is without watching the first, though. It does become about her, though.[/spoiler] I have yet to see the entirety of the third season to know how that plays out- I thought it ended nicely at the end of the second.
Atria35

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:28 pm

Eden of the East sound perfect for you guys. It's streaming both sub and dub in the places you mentioned.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby neozigma » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:34 pm

I recommend Kinnikuman

Why you ask ?

- The first anime where the characters shouted their attack name
- Naruto and One Piece´s grandfather ( Oda and Kishimoto loved that anime and it can be seen on plenty of references such as pandaman or Killer Bee and the Raikage )
- Was on the top 10 of the manliest anime
- It was the first one to combine comedy and serious fights
- It created the "power of friendship" and was the only one who actually got it right

For me its one of the "MUST WATCH/READ"

Also
- Getter Robo ( father of the combining robots)
- Kaiji ( Dat moe )
- Saikyou Densetsu Kurosawa ( Manliest manga EVER )
- Jojo´s bizarre adventures ( Awesome flamboyant action )

There you go , ENJOY
neozigma

Postby Falx » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:40 pm

This is the thread to ask for recommendations, not to give them. But thanks anyway.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby Smileloviene » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:54 am

Atria35 (post: 1524595) wrote:lol wat? As far as sexual content goes, there's merely implied sexual relations in the first episode, barely hinted at. You don't get anything sexual besides that until late in the series, where[spoiler] a boy sees a prostitute at work, and it's not her that's focused on, it's the boy and how traumatized he is, and the whole scene lasts maybe 5 seconds, and then another five seconds very late in the series where you see two people in bed, covered up.[/spoiler] All in all, for a 74 episode series, that's less time focused on anything sexual than in your average PG-13 movie, and some of it is actually important to the storyline. The violence can be disturbing, but a good amount is implied, and most of it no more graphic than your average crime scene show on television.

Hm... I think I meant the violence is disturbing because of how it very often includes destroying the lives of children and families... not necessarily how intense it is. I'm just saying, for someone who didn't want something dark, it might be a little overboard. That is not to say I didn't enjoy it myself. The way it makes you think made me enjoy the series exceedingly, and its one of my favorites... I'm just trying to point out it isn't family friendly. And also, there is a great deal more sexual content/nudity then that stuff. Red Lights districts are visited fairly often in the show (granted, to investigate rather then other things) and there is prolly half a dozen scenes with people in bed together, even if it doesn't necessarily show much, it's definitely there. Anyway, yes, the sexual things aren't a focus - merely a tool to show the darker sides of life, but I thought it would be better for people to know they are there.

Anyways :) Just thought I'd point it out. And also, thanks for the response to my Hell Girl question, I'll prolly keep watching it then, 'cause I think I'm almost done with the repetitive episodes you mentioned. :thumb: And some of the characters really interest me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Smileloviene

Postby Smileloviene » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:59 am

neozigma (post: 1524678) wrote:I recommend Kinnikuman

Why you ask ?

- The first anime where the characters shouted their attack name
- Naruto and One Piece´s grandfather ( Oda and Kishimoto loved that anime and it can be seen on plenty of references such as pandaman or Killer Bee and the Raikage )
- Was on the top 10 of the manliest anime
- It was the first one to combine comedy and serious fights
- It created the "power of friendship" and was the only one who actually got it right

For me its one of the "MUST WATCH/READ"

Hahahah, really? The first one to shout attack names? :wow!: That sounds interesting ;) Is it also the first one to spend ten minutes amongst a fifteen minute battle scene explaining ones attacks? :Haha, I'll keep it in mind :thumb:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Smileloviene

Postby impact777 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:06 am

Dear caa folks,
can you recommend Gunslinger Girl:Il Teatrino?
I really like the first season, and I heard that the second season is that good.
But if it's not too bad, I'd like to watch it...
impact777

Postby Desimor » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:16 pm

Maokun (post: 1523465) wrote:Hmm, very similar tastes to mine, apparently :) Try Code Geass and/or Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Tried them both and loved them both; however, would suggest against them if you have a weakness for even mild-sexual content. Aside from that, if you can stand against the temptation then both I would highly recommend if you're in the mood for "intense action and beautifully done comedy".
Desimor

Postby Falx » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:36 pm

I loved the first season to bits...

...and I actually got angry and deleted the very first episode of the second season in disgust at how bad it was about halfway through.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby impact777 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:28 pm

Oh man, that sounds bad. :( Thank you for your fast answer.
impact777

Postby eightluvver888 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:13 pm

Thanks people! I'm watching Ergo Proxy first, then Requiem. What is with all these hot assassins? XD
[SIZE="3"][/SIZE][font="Garamond"]Oh no, he's already fallen off one building today!
[SIZE="1"]MAL[/SIZE][/font]
eightluvver888

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews