Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Timeless » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:17 pm

Currently I recommend

The Borrow Arrietty,
Usagi Drop,
Deadmans Wonderland (rated R, you've been warned)
Outlaw star (on last episode now)

Thats all for now
Timeless

Postby Atria35 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:23 pm

Timeless (post: 1515747) wrote:Currently I recommend

The Borrow Arrietty,
Usagi Drop,
Deadmans Wonderland (rated R, you've been warned)
Outlaw star (on last episode now)

Thats all for now

......Nooot quite how it works :sweat: It's where users can ask for recommendations. That way we can taylor the recommendations to a user's specific tastes or content requirements. Otherwise every anime ever made would be listed here, and that's not helpful to anyone.
Atria35

Postby Juliannesan » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:07 pm

Linebarrels of Iron
Anyone seen it? If so how is the content? Violence/Language and Nudity.
Thanks.
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:09 pm

Juliannesan (post: 1516979) wrote:Linebarrels of Iron
Anyone seen it? If so how is the content? Violence/Language and Nudity.
Thanks.
I haven't seen it but have heard from multiple people that it is terrible. Just not a good show. I can recommend another mecha series if you can specify what you're looking for.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Juliannesan » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:33 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1516985) wrote:I haven't seen it but have heard from multiple people that it is terrible. Just not a good show. I can recommend another mecha series if you can specify what you're looking for.

Sure! As long as it's got a good story and it's not crazy with blood and gore, or ecchi or language. That'd be awesome. :)
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby Smileloviene » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:10 am

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1514760) wrote:You probably should because Geass is awful and should be watched by no one.

Also it's not really a robot show.

Okay... wow (biting back a TIDAL WAVE of arguments against that). I think that depends on what you're looking for in a show. Granted, it isn't the most clean, but if you can overlook those parts there is LOT of good stuff in this show. That might be because i'm not a huge robots fan, and I totally get it not really being a robots show, but there is SO much good stuff in there. So, for anyone who might have been thrown off of Code Geass from that, I just wanted to say that (if you're over 16) the show is worth the watch. if you stick it out, the ending message will definitely make you think, which is what draws me in a show a lot of the time. Action is coll in all, but I like it more when I could actually gain something to think about from it.
Anyway :) Sorry, just had to defend one of my favorites
[font="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][color="DarkOrchid"]The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. ~ Habakkuk 3:19[/color][/SIZE][/font][PHP][/PHP]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Yellow"]@)[/color][color="Lime"]}~`,~[/color][color="Cyan"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Carry This Rose In Your Signature, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/font][/color]
Smileloviene

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:14 am

Juliannesan (post: 1517013) wrote:Sure! As long as it's got a good story and it's not crazy with blood and gore, or ecchi or language. That'd be awesome. :)

After War Gundam X - This show provides an excellent, character-driven story and no previous Gundam knowledge required! Not as dark as some Gundam shows.

Giant Robo - Classic, epic, wonderful. Everyone should see this at least once.

Heroman - Not as good of a story as the two above, but a ton of fun.

SDF Macross/Macross Do You Remember Love? - The TV series is one of my absolute favorite mecha shows, and the movie is a fantastic movie. Love triangles, pop music, transforming robots. As far as ecchi, there are two instances of brief female nudity, but it's not that big of a deal, IMO.

Mobile Polic Patlabor TV - Another favorite of mine, this is a more subdued show than the above, though, since it is about police officiers it is punctuated by some action. The draw here is that you get to know the characters and their daily lives very well. It's also cleverly funny.

Tetsujin 28-go - This one is also not thrill-a-minute and is more about mood than action. It's less slice-of-life and more mystery than Patlabor. Also, while Patlabor is charming and light-hearted, Tetsujin 28 is somber and melancholy.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Juliannesan » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:53 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1517073) wrote:After War Gundam X - This show provides an excellent, character-driven story and no previous Gundam knowledge required! Not as dark as some Gundam shows.

Giant Robo - Classic, epic, wonderful. Everyone should see this at least once.

Heroman - Not as good of a story as the two above, but a ton of fun.

SDF Macross/Macross Do You Remember Love? - The TV series is one of my absolute favorite mecha shows, and the movie is a fantastic movie. Love triangles, pop music, transforming robots. As far as ecchi, there are two instances of brief female nudity, but it's not that big of a deal, IMO.

Mobile Polic Patlabor TV - Another favorite of mine, this is a more subdued show than the above, though, since it is about police officiers it is punctuated by some action. The draw here is that you get to know the characters and their daily lives very well. It's also cleverly funny.

Tetsujin 28-go - This one is also not thrill-a-minute and is more about mood than action. It's less slice-of-life and more mystery than Patlabor. Also, while Patlabor is charming and light-hearted, Tetsujin 28 is somber and melancholy.

Cool! Thanks! I'll have to check those out! :)
I'll add them to my Plan to Watch list.
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby Adorima » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:51 pm

Angel Beats!!!
A bunch of awkward teenagers stuck in Purgatory, or Limbo, or a...videogame? Love stories abound!

*weeps for my fave chars*
Adorima

Postby Desimor » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:41 am

I tried reading through the whole thread to find new anime to watch, but that was getting a bit tedious. So I decided to make an account and just ask for recommendations.

I've been through a lot of anime, so good luck finding me and anime that I haven't seen yet, but lets see if you guys are up for a challenge.

Through my years of watching anime, my focus has now narrowed to having a lot of action and comedy. I can not have one without the other. I've seen "Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom" which I have been told has large amounts of action, but when I started, the characters were to darn depressing for me to continue. I can not stand depressed characters or emo (ironic, because I used to be one before I was saved). I really enjoy relating with the main character a lot, so though I mean no offense to women, I just can not watch an anime based upon a girl's life even if it has high action and comedy. Even if the anime revolves around a male character, if he is useless in anyway, then I will kick the anime to the curve. I can't stand male characters who have people fighting for them and they sit back and cower in fear in a little corner somewhere. "Nabari no Oh" was certainly guilty in that aspect. Animes that I actually have liked would be:

-Kenichi: the Mightiest Disciple (Absolutely my most fav! I enjoyed his progression and admired his stand against his own fears.)
-Bleach (Love the high amounts of action while maintaining a nice storyline.)
-Naruto (Love the action, I just can't get myself to finish however, probably because of the fillers.)
-Samurai Champloo (Right up there with Kenichi. Had great story with awesome action and made me cry sometimes.)
-The Familiar Zero (A character I really liked and could relate to.)
-Tales of the Abyss (Useless in the beginning, but conquered his fear. However, had to struggle to finish the last few eps.)
-Soul Eaters (Revolves around a man and a woman.)
-Fairy Tail (Bleach and Fairy Tail are probably the only series I still follow because they are just so epic.)
-Katekyo Hitman Reborn! (Started getting epic when he got gloves, however I took a break from it and haven't been able to get back into it.)

That is only a fraction of the different animes I liked, but I thought this list would give you a good sense of what I like in an anime. So if you would like to take up my challenge to see if you can suggest an anime I haven't seen that you think I would like, then be my guest. :D
Desimor

Postby Atria35 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:09 am

Mmmm. Well, there's
One Piece
Trigun
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (this is all about character development into a good fighter, like how Kenichi doesn't start out as one, really)
Gintama
Great Teacher Onizuka
Seto no Hanayome
Baccano! (this is a lot more violent than a lot of what you've watched, but definitely action/comedy)
Blue Exorcist
Kekkaishi
Yu Yu Hakusho
Beelzebub
Angel Densetsu
Sengoku Basara

If you've seen that much anime, it's probably worth it to set up a MAL account, because otherwise, all we can do is list anime you haven't listed, and it's all a guess in the dark as to whether you've seen it or not.
Atria35

Postby Desimor » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:30 am

I'm so happy you replied and God bless you for trying, but I've seen all of them and some I just had no interest in finishing. I kinda figured this would happen. I have a strong sense that I'm either growing out of anime or I'm simply just getting bored of them. I mainly came here hoping that I may find an anime that will bring my interest back. So I guess this website as like a final hope.

-One Piece: Great anime, but I find myself searching for other anime after watching a few eps of this. I only watch it when I've got nothing else to do.
-Trigun: Epic. Finished in one day because I was so addicted.
-Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: Excellent anime all the way to the ending. However, the ending certainly was unlikable. I don't like sad endings anymore and I had such a connection to the characters that (spoilers!) I didn't like seeing them go.
-Gintama: Lots of comedy, but not enough action. There has got to be a balance somewhere. I might be wrong because I didn't stick with this anime more than 6 eps.
-Great Teacher Onizuka: I don't recall any action in this one.
-Seto no Hanayome: A love story is great, but its not what I'm into these days.
-Baccano!: Wasn't interesting....
-Blue Exorcist: Great anime. Action and comedy all over the place. Though I hated that he was Satan's son, its fantasy nonetheless so I finished it.
-Kekkaishi: Seen it, didn't seem to have enough action.
-Yu Yu Hakusho: Tried watching this several times, but hasn't held my interest. Old style animes don't seem to hold my interest as much as they used to.
-Beelzebub: Watched the 1st ep. I think I stopped because there were only like 6 eps out and I didn't feel like getting hooked on an anime that would end in a few hours.
-Angel Densetsu: Hmmm.... nope.
-Sengoku Basara: Great anime. Characters can get annoying sometimes, but great and epic feeling action.

You will have to explain this MAL account you speak of.
Desimor

Postby Atria35 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:30 am

MyAnimeList.net is both a huge database of anime and manga, but also a place where you can list all the anime you've seen, want to see, etc. People can then compare their lists to yours, or vice versa, and there are user recommendations for anime, reviews, etc. It's incredibly handy when trying to see what anime someone has or hasn't seen, especially when they've seen as many as you have.

The thing is, I don't think you're growing out of anime- it's that what you like is so very, very specific that there's only so many anime available in that particular genre. But you might have better luck if you filled out a list (again, otherwise it's a shot in the total dark), and asked again here, or asked the community over there since there are so many users that have seen a lot of anime that... well, most of us on here haven't.

I did a genre search on ANN, to see what I could come up with. Here's a pretty solid list of action/comedies that might help:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/search/genreresults?w=series&w=movies&from=&to=&lic=&a=AA&a=OC&a=TA&a=MA&g=action%2FA&g=comedy&o=alpha
Atria35

Postby Falx » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:06 am

Desimor (post: 1520431) wrote:-Gintama: Lots of comedy, but not enough action. There has got to be a balance somewhere. I might be wrong because I didn't stick with this anime more than 6 eps.

Honestly it takes 20 or so episodes to actually start getting good. I only stuck with it because I had spoiled myself via youtube how it good it could get.

And the focus will always be comedy... but every now and then something like this and this happens.

Wish I could find non-amv examples.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby Desimor » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:39 am

You guys are so awesome. I will take a look at everything that was presented to me. God bless and I will be back to discuss or possibly recommend whatever I find.
Desimor

Looking for a good anime series

Postby Dana Barrier » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:49 pm

I'm looking for a good anime series to start. I like action/adventure animes and I also like animes that include a good romance. I've already seen the following:
Clannad
Inuyasha
Blood +
Fruits Basket
Ouran High School Host Club

Any suggestions are appreciated, but please include anime that do not contain too much sexual content or language. Thanks!
Dana Barrier

Recommendation for 12 year old

Postby coolwrite » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:26 am

I'm looking for recommendations for my 12-year-old girl. I'd like to get her a series for Christmas. She likes Full Moon and Naruto. Currently she is watching Blue Exorcist and I'm trying to find a review to see if that's appropriate. Let me know what good anime series I can recommend to her. Thank you!
coolwrite

Postby rocklobster » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:36 am

I'd recommend Trigun. If she can handle FullMetal Alchemist, that should be no prob.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Falx » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:57 am

coolwrite (post: 1521068) wrote:I'm looking for recommendations for my 12-year-old girl. I'd like to get her a series for Christmas. She likes Full Moon and Naruto. Currently she is watching Blue Exorcist and I'm trying to find a review to see if that's appropriate. Let me know what good anime series I can recommend to her. Thank you!

It would help if you could maybe mention a few more series she likes, also what kind of things as a father are you not okay with her watching?
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby goldenspines » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:40 pm

coolwrite (post: 1521068) wrote:I'm looking for recommendations for my 12-year-old girl. I'd like to get her a series for Christmas. She likes Full Moon and Naruto. Currently she is watching Blue Exorcist and I'm trying to find a review to see if that's appropriate. Let me know what good anime series I can recommend to her. Thank you!
I'll put Blue Exorcist in our database so it can be reviewed. And I'll look into it myself to hopefully find some answers for you.

As far as suggestions go, if she enjoyed Fullmoon, she may like Princess Tutu (it's based on Russian fairy tales and ballets and is a magical girl anime).
If you want to preview a few episodes of Princess Tutu, you can do so for free on Hulu.com, since they licensed it for online streaming.

I also suggest Fruits Basket, which is about a girl who stumbles across a family who change into the animals of the Chinese zodiac every time they are hugged by a member of the opposite gender. (sounds serious, I know, but it is a fun series).

Best of luck!
goldenspines

Thank you!

Postby coolwrite » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:31 pm

Thanks for all your suggestions. She has just in the last few months gotten into anime, so those are the only two series she's watched - and she's watched every episode. She is pretty enamored of it all, so I wanted to kind of direct her interests to the positive.
coolwrite

Postby Desimor » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:07 pm

Here is a youtube video of quality fight scenes that I quite enjoyed and I think I will be taking another look at Gintama because of it. Fluid motion, with slow downs being used generously, and choreography up the roof.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PcAXvwIN7w&feature=related
Desimor

Postby Desimor » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:08 pm

Here is a youtube video of quality fight scenes that I quite enjoyed and I think I will be taking another look at Gintama because of it. Fluid motion, with slow downs being used generously, and choreography up the roof.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PcAXvwIN7w&feature=related
Desimor

Postby Maokun » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:14 pm

@Coolwrite: I'm pretty sure your girl will enjoy Card Captor Sakura. Nadja of Tomorrow is another great choice for young ladies.

@Desimor: You most likely have seen this, but since no one mentioned it, here: Cowboy Bebop. Also, I'd recommend you to give a second chance to Baccano! Take in account that the whole series is about the mysterious happenings during a single, fateful train trip! That's why he first few episodes are rather slow, as we get a background of the elements, characters and circumstances involved. But once the narration centers in the "present" it's quite thrilling!

Lastly, these two are oldies, which may be not too good in your book, but they are definitely some of the best action/comedy series ever: The Slayers and Ranma 1/2.

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby Mike123123 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:38 pm

hey guys, im back for more help xD heh, im pretty bad at finding good animes.

here is my list:

1.Baka And Test
2.FMA/FMA B
3.Reborn
4Zero no Tsukaima
5.fruits basket
6.One piece
7.Naruto
8.The Melancholy Of Haruhi suzumiya
9.Shakugan No Shana
10.Hayate No Gotoku

as you can probably tell, i like fantasy/adventure/comedy/ sometimes romance / sometimes school life animes. and iam really picky! thanks for help in advance! :D
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
-John 3:16
Mike123123

Postby Neane » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:49 pm

Azumanga Daioh
Slayers [Comedy + fantasy + adventure]
The Legend of the Legendary Heroes
Noein: To Your Other Self
Trigun
Princess Tutu
Neane

Postby MasterDias » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:06 am

Mike123123 (post: 1523070) wrote:hey guys, im back for more help xD heh, im pretty bad at finding good animes.

here is my list:

1.Baka And Test
2.FMA/FMA B
3.Reborn
4Zero no Tsukaima
5.fruits basket
6.One piece
7.Naruto
8.The Melancholy Of Haruhi suzumiya
9.Shakugan No Shana
10.Hayate No Gotoku

as you can probably tell, i like fantasy/adventure/comedy/ sometimes romance / sometimes school life animes. and iam really picky! thanks for help in advance! :D

In no particular order:

Soul Eater
Toaru Majutsu no Index
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun
Fairy Tail
Ao no Exorcist
Durarara!!
Pandora Hearts
D.Gray-man
The World God Only Knows
Toradora!
Gosick
Scrapped Princess
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Maokun » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:17 pm

Hmm, very similar tastes to mine, apparently :) Try Code Geass and/or Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby Mike123123 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:04 pm

thanks guys, im going to try out

Princess Tutu (maybe, because it sounds like an anime for 8 year olds, but i dont judge a book by its cover)
Toaru Majutsu no Index
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun
Fairy Tail
and
Code Geass

(i have watched a few episodes of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and my friend spoiled what might be a very important part and, i kinda dont feel like watching it now)
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
-John 3:16
Mike123123

Postby Atria35 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:10 pm

Mike123123 (post: 1523616) wrote:Princess Tutu (maybe, because it sounds like an anime for 8 year olds, but i dont judge a book by its cover)

It's a pretty typical Magical Girl series up until Episode 4. Then it starts being something special. So glad you'll give it a try! :thumb:
Atria35

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews