Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Atria35 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:34 am

[quote="Smileloviene (post: 1513181)"]Lol, :lol: Skip Beat is the best.
I actually just read the manga. Has anyone watched AND read it that could maybe give me a comparison? I'm under the impression that the series covers MAYBE the first 50 chapters and just cuts off, maybe doing one of those choppy endings that animes based on awesome mangas that came out just a LITTLE too soon do sometimes. If that's wrong, I'm willing to hear a better explanation ]

While I personally haven't experienced both, a friend of mine has. She says that the anime is pretty much the manga, animated, it doesn't add anything to the story and that it cuts off really abruptly and feels very unfinished.
Atria35

Postby Rri X » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:41 pm

I'm back again, and looking for something new to enjoy! I'd like to try something a little unusual this time around, perhaps straying into another genre.

I'm currently watching Kemono no Soja Erin, and I also watched Rideback a little while ago. I'm equally open to dubs and subtitles, as while I prefer hearing it in my native language, I'm also learning Japanese.

My restrictions are as follows:

I'm generally okay with violence and blood, though I'd prefer to go without gore. No spilled organs, or anything along those lines.

I dislike sexual content, and I will not watch something with nudity or overwhelming fanservice/innuendo.

Swearing isn't my favorite, but I can handle it as long as it's not every other word, and F-bombs are kept to a minimum.

I must also add that I will not watch things that have demons, unless they are blatantly marked as evil/the enemy. It's a personal distaste of mine to have them portrayed as neutral/good.
Rri X

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:36 pm

All right, for unusual shows, look no farther than the noitaminA timeslot! Personal favorites from it of mine:

The Tatami Galaxy*
Library War
Usagi Drop**
Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai
Honey and Clover***
Princess Jellyfish*
Moyashimon: Tales of Agriculture
UN-GO**
* - Legally streaming from Funimation
** - Legally streaming on Crunchyroll
*** - Legally streaming from Viz
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:42 pm

Cross Game is something different than most people watch. See Viz and Hulu.

Chihayafuru is pretty unusual in its premise. It's on Cruchyroll.

Level E is quite a quirky show. It's also on Crunchyroll.

Or, hey, watch a giant robot show! It's likely different to what 90% of anime fans watch these days and will probably seem unusual. The 2005 Gaiking remake is on Hulu.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:48 pm

Seconding Chihayafuru as a really great show I want more people to go see because it's awesome and I love it.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby TopazRaven » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:48 pm

Atria35 (post: 1513024) wrote:Chi's Sweet Home. It's one of the best there is. I also heard Nyanpire is adorable.
You could also go for the Ghibli film The Cat Returns, which cats are a big part of.
Neko Rahmen is also supposed to be funny, but comedies are always about personal taste in humor.

I actually have seen The Cat Returns before, it was adorable. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Neane (post: 1513047) wrote:There's a really short anime called She and Her Cat. It is 5 minutes long and well worth your time. It was the first anime that Makoto Shinkai made.

Thank you, I'll have to check it out!
TopazRaven

Postby Rri X » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:57 pm

Thank you for the list. :) I've been looking at Usagi Drop for some time, but I've never gotten around to trying it.

Could you elaborate a bit more on the content of UN-GO and Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai?
Rri X

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:27 pm

Oh man, I totally forgot Eden of the East which is also a very good show and noitaminA and definitely a unique experience.

Ano Hana and UN-GO are both pretty clean stuff. Ano Hana is pretty much a straight up drama, and I don't really remember any iffy content in it, while UN-GO is a mystery series that is still airing. A very, very brief character is a prositute, but the murders aren't gruesome or anything.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Atria35 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:12 pm

Rri X (post: 1513544) wrote:Thank you for the list. :) I've been looking at Usagi Drop for some time, but I've never gotten around to trying it.

Could you elaborate a bit more on the content of UN-GO and Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai?

I do have to put a warning about Tatami Galaxy, since it does delve into some sexual stuff. Avoid episode 4. I do suggest giving it a shot, though, because it's brilliant.
Atria35

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:55 pm

Atria35 (post: 1513580) wrote:I do have to put a warning about Tatami Galaxy, since it does delve into some sexual stuff. Avoid episode 4. I do suggest giving it a shot, though, because it's brilliant.

The, er, "[SIZE="1"]Wall of Boobs[/SIZE]" does show up briefly a few times after that. But if that particular piece of... 'architecture' (?) doesn't scare you off, you'll probably enjoy the rest of the show, which as others have said is very very good.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Falx » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:51 pm

Rri X (post: 1513544) wrote:Thank you for the list. :) I've been looking at Usagi Drop for some time, but I've never gotten around to trying it.

Ano Hana, to give it's shortened name has zero nudity precious little swearing and no violence other than a few punches every now and then.

It deals with themes of loss and grief and how it affects friendships between children driving them apart, but maybe bringing them back together.

Contains a ghost and a very Buddhist view of the afterlife but that's about it.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby eightluvver888 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:44 pm

KBMaster (post: 1092020) wrote:I need an anime to watch after Haibane Renmei. Here are the animes I've watched.
Inuyasha
Full Metal Alchemist
Black Cat
Full Moon
Scrapped Princess
Air
Ehh, there might be more but non that I can think of. As for content... well nothing worse than what's listed(except Inuyasha, I was surprised at the content that WASN'T already present in the original manga). Thanks!

Umm... I loved FMA and Black Cat! I'd recommend GetBackers. It's kind of like Black Cat, but not really... I can't really explain it. For content, not many innuendoes and there is almost no weird religion (one ep w/ghosts, kind of, but not bad). It's amazingly funny!
[SIZE="3"][/SIZE][font="Garamond"]Oh no, he's already fallen off one building today!
[SIZE="1"]MAL[/SIZE][/font]
eightluvver888

Postby MightiMidget » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:35 pm

Rri X (post: 1513544) wrote:Could you elaborate a bit more on the content of UN-GO and Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai?

Falx covered AnoHana perfectly. :)

As for UN-GO isn't very far along in its season, but it is pretty clean. I don't tend to register swearing in subtitles unless it's vast in amounts, so I can't speak on that account. The murders aren't gruesome at all (a stabbing, little blood, someone burned to death). As for nudity and sexual content, the only thing "blatant" is the outfit of one of the recurring characters who has quite a bit of cleavage showing. It's not fanservicey though, it kind of contributes to the fleshing out of the almost...provocative persona of her in her squeezing of truth out of people. It's difficult to explain, but as for sex, nudity and gore? Nope. Nothing here so far.
MightiMidget

Postby Rri X » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:04 pm

MightiMidget (post: 1513702) wrote:Falx covered AnoHana perfectly. :)

As for UN-GO isn't very far along in its season, but it is pretty clean. I don't tend to register swearing in subtitles unless it's vast in amounts, so I can't speak on that account. The murders aren't gruesome at all (a stabbing, little blood, someone burned to death). As for nudity and sexual content, the only thing "blatant" is the outfit of one of the recurring characters who has quite a bit of cleavage showing. It's not fanservicey though, it kind of contributes to the fleshing out of the almost...provocative persona of her in her squeezing of truth out of people. It's difficult to explain, but as for sex, nudity and gore? Nope. Nothing here so far.

I see what you're saying. They use it as a character development device. XD

I'll have to give it a try. Thanks! ::thumb:
Rri X

Postby Mike123123 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:19 pm

Here are a few of my favorite anime's in order

1: Baka and Test (or Baka to Test to shokanju)
2:Full Metal Alchemist
3:Kayeto Hitman Reborn!
4:The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzuimya
5:Oban Stars
6:One Piece (first few episodes, it then gets to complicated and dumb)
7 Narutto (also first few episodes, then it really gets complicated)

i usually like romance and adventure/action anime's and i would really like it if people could recommend some to me because i really have a hard time finding good anime's

thank you in advance! :D
Mike123123

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:31 pm

@mike watch fruits basket.
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Maokun » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:33 pm

Try Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X in some parts.) It's action-adventure but way shorter than Naruto or OP. Set in Japan's feudal times, it follows the adventures of a very skilled samurai who weary of all the killing he had to do in the war, vows to never kill again. However, old and new enemies will constantly push the boundaries of his determination as he is usually found at a disadvantage for fighting with a reverse-edged sword.

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby Atria35 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:41 pm

Mike123123 (post: 1514039) wrote:Here are a few of my favorite anime's in order

1: Baka and Test (or Baka to Test to shokanju)
2:Full Metal Alchemist
3:Kayeto Hitman Reborn!
4:The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzuimya
5:Oban Stars
6:One Piece (first few episodes, it then gets to complicated and dumb)
7 Narutto (also first few episodes, then it really gets complicated)

i usually like romance and adventure/action anime's and i would really like it if people could recommend some to me because i really have a hard time finding good anime's

thank you in advance! :D

Eureka Seven
FMA: Brotherhood
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (kind of known for one of the main girls being rather fanservice-y, but a good show)
Zero no Tsukaima
Visions of Escaflowne
Shakugan no Shana

all are action/adventure/romance
Atria35

Postby Davidizer13 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:34 am

A'ight, so I'm almost done with Mobile Suit Gundam (0079) and now I guess it's time to pick out the next show I'm going to watch. Knowing me, it's probably going to involve giant robots. I'm trying to decide between:

Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
G Gundam
Gunbuster
Hades Project Zeorymer

Are there any other good ones that I should probably check out at this point? Or is there some show out there that doesn't involve giant robot fighting that I just absolutely have to watch? I'm open to pretty much anything at this point.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:05 am

A list of awesome robot shows to watch if you haven't:

Gaogaigar and Gaigaigar final <--!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SDF Macross
Gurren Lagann
Eureka 7
Macross Plus
Shin Mazinger Z
Getter Robo Armageddon
Shine Getter Robo vs Neo Getter Robo
Escaflowne
Voltes V
Zambot 3
Tetsujin 28-no go

Or, go with Zeta Gundam, the direct sequel to 0079. It's gangbusters.

Of the ones you listed, I'd say anything but Zerorymer.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Mike123123 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:54 pm

@Grubb, Maokun, & atria thanks for the recomendations! :n_n:

ive gotten really interested in some of them!
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
-John 3:16
Mike123123

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:21 pm

Davidizer13 (post: 1514176) wrote:Are there any other good ones that I should probably check out at this point?
Just found this and thought it may prove useful. I don't totally agree with every entry, but there are a bunch of good shows listed as well as pictures and descriptions. These kinds of things can be quite helpful, I find.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Maokun » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:08 am

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1514179) wrote:A list of awesome robot shows to watch if you haven't:

Gaogaigar and Gaigaigar final <--!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SDF Macross
Gurren Lagann
Eureka 7
Macross Plus
Shin Mazinger Z
Getter Robo Armageddon
Shine Getter Robo vs Neo Getter Robo
Escaflowne
Voltes V
Zambot 3
Tetsujin 28-no go

Or, go with Zeta Gundam, the direct sequel to 0079. It's gangbusters.

Doctor! Must I feel hurt by your blatant exclusion of Code Geass?

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
Maokun

Postby Davidizer13 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:52 am

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1514179) wrote:Gaogaigar and Gaigaigar final <--!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is right. That looks like pretty much everything I'd want in a giant robot show, thanks!

Yeah, that was more just because SRW made it look pretty sweet, but I guess it has that effect on shows like that... Anyway, thanks for the suggestions!

Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:36 pm

Maokun (post: 1514654) wrote:Doctor! Must I feel hurt by your blatant exclusion of Code Geass?
Haha. Nothing against the show. I haven't actually seen the whole thing, just a few episodes. That's the reason for the omission.

I should add VOTOMS: Pailsen Files to that list of good mecha shows.
Davidizer13 (post: 1514713) wrote:!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is right. That looks like pretty much everything I'd want in a giant robot show, thanks!
Enjoy, sir. It's my personal favorite robot show. For the first twenty-five episodes, the series is very monster-of-the-week kid's super robot show fare (which I personally dig). It's good for what it is, but these episodes don't go beyond that ceiling. However, from 26 onward, it just gets absolutely epic. Each episode ramps up the intensity and scale. And the OAV, Gaogaigar Final? Giant Robo and Gurren Lagann and Shin Mazinger are emotional and epic. Final, however, is on a totally different level. Amazing stuff.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:54 pm

Maokun (post: 1514654) wrote:Doctor! Must I feel hurt by your blatant exclusion of Code Geass?
You probably should because Geass is awful and should be watched by no one.

Also it's not really a robot show.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Neane » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:12 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1514760) wrote:You probably should because Geass is awful and should be watched by no one.

THIS.
Neane

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:42 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1514760) wrote:You probably should because Geass is awful and should be watched by no one.

Geass is an attempt at a political thriller with superpowers with the robots added for flavor. They could have made the same show with cars or tanks or wands that gave people grappling hook weapons and it wouldn't have made a difference to the story in the end. In the end the robots are incidental to the story (and rarely involved in the most important scenes).

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Davidizer13 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:36 pm

mechana2015 (post: 1514767) wrote:Geass is an attempt at a political thriller with superpowers with the robots added for flavor. They could have made the same show with cars or tanks or wands that gave people grappling hook weapons and it wouldn't have made a difference to the story in the end. In the end the robots are incidental to the story (and rarely involved in the most important scenes).

There's a manga version of Geass that does exactly that: removes all the mecha stuff, but also most of the political intrigue, while simultaneously playing up the lighter moments. I checked it out at the library after hearing about Code Geass based on the mecha parts, and gave it up when I realized what they had done after watching a couple episodes of the show. And that's as close as I've gotten to Code Geass.

Davidizer13

Postby Maokun » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:50 pm

mechana2015 (post: 1514767) wrote:Geass is an attempt at a political thriller with superpowers with the robots added for flavor. They could have made the same show with cars or tanks or wands that gave people grappling hook weapons and it wouldn't have made a difference to the story in the end. In the end the robots are incidental to the story (and rarely involved in the most important scenes).

Yeah, I guess this is a correct objection. Definitely goes to show how much of not a Giant-Robos anime fan I am, hehe.

Mr HnC: It seems we have yet another bone to pick, you and me. :P

Maokun

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews