Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Maokun » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:43 am

For an 11 year old kid that likes fantasy and can process certain doses of violence, you really cannot go wrong with shonen stuff like Naruto or One Piece.

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby Atria35 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:38 am

Maokun (post: 1510053) wrote:For an 11 year old kid that likes fantasy and can process certain doses of violence, you really cannot go wrong with shonen stuff like Naruto or One Piece.

One Piece would probably be the better choice over Naruto- he did say he didn't want sexual content, and Naruto does have enough fanservice to warrent a mention.
Atria35

Postby Maokun » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:54 pm

Fair enough, though the fanservice in question is nothing worse to anything you may inflict on yourself by having working eyes and going to a public beach. It's also, very scarce.

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby AdriantheSecond » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:32 pm

Thanks everyone!!! He's already seen some of Hikaru No Go...didn't like it for some reason. I'm trying to get him to watch it again, because I *LOVED* it...so maybe he'll change his mind.
I will definitely check out the ones mentioned...and, was already planning on screening the episodes.
I've seen Tsubasa Chronicle...I'll have to rewatch to see if he'll enjoy it. XD

And, forgot to mention he's seen nearly half of Naruto...Naruto's one jutsu did bother him a little, but it wasn't a huge deal since it didn't come up much. I'll look into One Piece.

And, as to Durarara!!-Spent the other day watching two more episodes, and I can officially say-I'M HOOKED. The Shizuo episode got me, I do believe...strange as it may sound.
AdriantheSecond

the "to watch" list

Postby theladyeri » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:40 pm

So here is the list of animes I want to check out...does anybody have anything to say about any of them?

wolf's rain
rozen maiden
gosick
clannad
glass mask
black jack
kimi ni todoke
[font="Arial Black"]A moment of thought bests a year of mindless talk.[/font]
theladyeri

Postby goldenspines » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:05 pm

I recommend both Black Jack and Clannad! The first is about a very gifted Doctor who heals unusual cases, and the latter I have yet to finish, but I've heard from a lot of people it's very heartwarming and wonderful to the end.
goldenspines

Postby Atria35 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:19 am

theladyeri (post: 1510798) wrote:So here is the list of animes I want to check out...does anybody have anything to say about any of them?

wolf's rain
rozen maiden
gosick
clannad
glass mask
black jack
kimi ni todoke

Gosick has a review. I enjoyed it not for the mysteries (they don't give you enough clues to figure it out on your own) even though they were interesting, but for the personal relationships that were developed in it.

Rozen Maiden is a neat little story. Unfortunately, since the manga was finished without a proper ending (they are continuing it in a second series), it isn't as complete as a lot would like. It does deal with loss and abandonment, but overall is a good show. Content-wise, pretty clean. A little light language, but unless you're disturbed by violence against dolls, it's a mostly clean show.

Kimi ni Todoke is a very lighthearted romance. It's very good, can be a little slow, but overall is sweet and nice. It's very clean.

Glass Mask is one on my to-watch list. It's one of the most highly regarded shoujo manga in Japan, dealing with really harsh working conditions, competition, inner turmoil... the 2005 version is supposed to be really good.
Atria35

Postby MightiMidget » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:29 pm

theladyeri (post: 1510798) wrote:So here is the list of animes I want to check out...does anybody have anything to say about any of them?

wolf's rain
rozen maiden
gosick
clannad
glass mask
black jack
kimi ni todoke

I, personally, found Wolf's Rain to be near-mind-numbing levels of boring for the first half (maybe longer). But a lot of people like it. It's kind of a weird mix of science and perhaps, indian mysticism? I'm not quite sure. It reminded me a lot of a more violent, serious, dystopian, Japanese version of Land Before Time without the singing. The English dub is good though, and I did enjoy it at different points. If you like wolves for wolves and adventure and questing for the sake of adventure and questing, I'd say go for it.

Gosick I have yet to finish, but enjoy it quite a bit so far! It is mysterious, and, as Atria said, the relationships were quite enjoyable. I also liked the characters and the mere charm of the period mystery setting. (in fact, if you end up liking the "vibe" of Gosick, I'd recommend Mystic Archives of Dantalian/Dantalian no Shoka. Which is basically Gosick but set just post-WWII I believe and is "what if all these supernatural things were real?")

Clannad is quite good, not just in a "I enjoyed it" sort of way, but it's very solid. You need to watch both seasons before judging the story. (Clannad and Clannad: After Story) Keep a box of tissues handy though, because even after going into it with hardened heart and determination not to cry...well. I watched it after no one would be coming in to see me since I bawled my eyes out so much I literally had the tissue box right there. Clannad is funny at times, but has a whimsical quality of love (romantic and platonic friendship wise) and family that is explored in depth.
MightiMidget

Postby Smileloviene » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:25 am

AdriantheSecond (post: 1510777) wrote:And, as to Durarara!!-Spent the other day watching two more episodes, and I can officially say-I'M HOOKED. The Shizuo episode got me, I do believe...strange as it may sound.

Lol, Shizou is my absolute favorite, so that was my favorite episode :thumb:

wolf's rain
rozen maiden
gosick
clannad
glass mask
black jack
kimi ni todoke

Hmm... well. I found Wolf's Rain well worth the watch, actually. The end is a little sad, but I thought it was well done and the characters really fascinated me.

Clannad if you want to laugh, the first season is for you! If you want to think about the better things in life, continue to the second season. Both seasons are dear to my heart and I will always love that anime :thumb:
[font="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][color="DarkOrchid"]The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. ~ Habakkuk 3:19[/color][/SIZE][/font][PHP][/PHP]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Yellow"]@)[/color][color="Lime"]}~`,~[/color][color="Cyan"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Carry This Rose In Your Signature, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/font][/color]
Smileloviene

Postby AngelicTotoro » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:39 pm

Gosick: I really enjoyed it, the first minute of the first episode causes the show to appear to be a bit like a horror anime, but its nothing of the sort. The ending is pretty good too, abit a little rushed. It has a great soundtrack. And Victorique is wonderful.

(Btw, Shizou is my favorite too. =3 I suggest reading the Drrr! light novels too; Shizou is in them lots. ;D)
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby impact777 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:32 am

Could anybody help me with the anime "El Cazador de la Bruja", "Maid-sama" and "Redline"? Are they worth to watch and is there bad religion in them? Thanks a lot! :)
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
impact777

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:45 am

I haven't seen Noir 3, but I have seen Redline, and it is probably my second favorite anime film. It is so good. As for content, there's some brief nudity, I guess.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Atria35 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:55 pm

impact777 (post: 1511890) wrote:Could anybody help me with the anime "El Cazador de la Bruja", "Maid-sama" and "Redline"? Are they worth to watch and is there bad religion in them? Thanks a lot! :)

El Cazador is debatable- my brother and I both enjoyed it. As far as religion goes, Ellie has psychic abilities she was born with- it's not supernatural (it's just that since people don't know this they call her a witch).
Atria35

Postby impact777 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:38 am

Thank you Mr. Hat'n'Clogs and Atria35!
impact777

Postby theladyeri » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:05 pm

Neane (post: 1509290) wrote:Can someone recommend me some philosophical/psychological anime series?
Anime I have seen that fit this are:

.hack//Sign (My favorite anime as a Child)
Welcome to the NHK (This is wonderful)
Paranoia Agent (I watched this one when I was younger.)
Texhnolyze (The Ending...The Ending)
Boogiepop Phantom (This is Great.)
Serial Experiments Lain (Love this One)
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Bokurano (Sad)
Kino's Journey (Love this One)
Monster (This is great for the mind.)
Haibane Renmei (Love this One)
Ghost in the Shell (The First Movie is Philosophical/Action. The Second One is Pure Philosophical. Watched the TV Series on Adult Swim.)

Also Greatly Enjoyed: Code Geass and Death Note

I have found out that I greatly enjoy these type of anime.
I have also seen and loved Gunslinger Girl, Kaiji, (Now and Then, Here and There).

Currently:
Akagi and then One Outs

Anyone want to recommend me some more anime?

Full Metal Alchemist. THIS IS NOT LIKE NARUTO! There is a lot of talk about right and wrong and science that is absolutly revelant to today's world.

Metropolis the anime movie. Gorgeous, fits the bill.

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. I reccomend this studio Ghibli film to anyone who loves a beautiful, deep movie.

RahXephon. artistic and surrealistic action series, with good characters and an incredible contemporary classical soundtrack.

I hope this helps!
theladyeri

Postby theladyeri » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:08 pm

impact777 (post: 1511890) wrote:Could anybody help me with the anime "El Cazador de la Bruja", "Maid-sama" and "Redline"? Are they worth to watch and is there bad religion in them? Thanks a lot! :)

I do know that there are various types of crossdressing/shoujo ai/shounen ai content in Maid Sama, I looked up the series on Wikipedia because I was interested in it. I reccomend looking at character profiles on Wikipedia for any animes you are interested in, it has helped me a great deal in the past.
theladyeri

Postby impact777 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:23 am

@theladyeri: Thanks a lot. :)
impact777

Postby MightiMidget » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:05 am

Maid-Sama! is fun...if you don't mind the innuendo. Usui seems to live off of making people uncomfortable. That translates into his showing pseudo-"interest" in a guy (and traumatizing the guy), and giving a character he knows is crossdressing some awkward grief before the character caves and shows he's a guy. There is also another section where Misaki is attacked by two perverts and tied up. They are thwarted before anything happens though.

That's all the innuendo I remember, there could be more. I personally found Maid-Sama! to be hysterical, and Usui is really sweet a lot of times (he's kind of an enigma). But there is a slightly higher notch than Ouran in the innuendo category, if that's a useful comparison at all.
MightiMidget

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:59 pm

MightiMidget (post: 1512167) wrote:Maid-Sama! is fun...if you don't mind the innuendo. Usui seems to live off of making people uncomfortable. That translates into his showing pseudo-"interest" in a guy (and traumatizing the guy), and giving a character he knows is crossdressing some awkward grief before the character caves and shows he's a guy. There is also another section where Misaki is attacked by two perverts and tied up. They are thwarted before anything happens though.

That's all the innuendo I remember, there could be more. I personally found Maid-Sama! to be hysterical, and Usui is really sweet a lot of times (he's kind of an enigma). But there is a slightly higher notch than Ouran in the innuendo category, if that's a useful comparison at all.

Oh thanks! I've been looking into Maid-sama for quite some time now, so this is really helpful! :)
A_Yellow_Dress

Postby impact777 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:22 am

Thank you also MightiMidget. :)
impact777

Postby theladyeri » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:30 pm

KBMaster (post: 1092020) wrote:I need an anime to watch after Haibane Renmei. Here are the animes I've watched.
Inuyasha
Full Metal Alchemist
Black Cat
Full Moon
Scrapped Princess
Air
Ehh, there might be more but non that I can think of. As for content... well nothing worse than what's listed(except Inuyasha, I was surprised at the content that WASN'T already present in the original manga). Thanks!

full moon, fma and air! those are great series! I'll reccomend Skip Beat! then. It's similar to full moon with more comedy. the objectionable content is mostly portrayed in fun as the main character has a grudge against the boy who ruined her dreams, but this is shown in a way that makes us laugh at her, not with her. there is some comedic reference to voodoo-like spells, never serious. in the very first episode, god is portrayed as a goddess, just an image on the screen that lasts for 2 sec. It's a hilarious series, and I totally reccomend it! (it's shoujo, by the way)
theladyeri

Postby AngelicTotoro » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:56 pm

I've actually been thinking of watching Skip Beat for awhile now, can I have more details for the objectionable stuff? Like how is her grudge objectionable to begin with?

Thanks.
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby Atria35 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:12 pm

AngelicTotoro (post: 1512642) wrote:I've actually been thinking of watching Skip Beat for awhile now, can I have more details for the objectionable stuff? Like how is her grudge objectionable to begin with?

Thanks.

How her grudge is objectionable? Um... she likes to use voodoo dolls to attempt to curse her ex. The whole story is about her trying to rise to the top because of her grudge- she gave up *everything* for him, clung to him for emotional support. And he betrayed her in the worst way possible.

Other than that, nada.
Atria35

Postby AngelicTotoro » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:38 pm

Voodoo doll cursing, huh? Like in Lilo and Stitch The movie? xD (For those of you who have seen it, you know what I mean.) If so, then thats not really a problem for me...

Thanks, Atria! :D
AngelicTotoro

Postby Atria35 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:57 pm

AngelicTotoro (post: 1512802) wrote:Voodoo doll cursing, huh? Like in Lilo and Stitch The movie? xD (For those of you who have seen it, you know what I mean.) If so, then thats not really a problem for me...

Thanks, Atria! :D

Yeah, just like that! xD And it's just as hilarious.
Atria35

Postby AngelicTotoro » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:41 pm

Seriously? Yay!

Now I'm definitely going watch it! :dance:
AngelicTotoro

Postby TopazRaven » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:45 pm

Well, since this is the anime recommandations thread I figured I should ask here rather then make a seperate thread. Are there any good anime out there involving cats? I really like cats.
TopazRaven

Postby Atria35 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:53 pm

TopazRaven (post: 1513020) wrote:Well, since this is the anime recommandations thread I figured I should ask here rather then make a seperate thread. Are there any good anime out there involving cats? I really like cats.

Chi's Sweet Home. It's one of the best there is. I also heard Nyanpire is adorable.
You could also go for the Ghibli film The Cat Returns, which cats are a big part of.
Neko Rahmen is also supposed to be funny, but comedies are always about personal taste in humor.
Atria35

Postby Neane » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:36 pm

TopazRaven (post: 1513020) wrote:Well, since this is the anime recommandations thread I figured I should ask here rather then make a seperate thread. Are there any good anime out there involving cats? I really like cats.

There's a really short anime called She and Her Cat. It is 5 minutes long and well worth your time. It was the first anime that Makoto Shinkai made.
Neane

Postby Smileloviene » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:07 am

Lol, :lol: Skip Beat is the best.
I actually just read the manga. Has anyone watched AND read it that could maybe give me a comparison? I'm under the impression that the series covers MAYBE the first 50 chapters and just cuts off, maybe doing one of those choppy endings that animes based on awesome mangas that came out just a LITTLE too soon do sometimes. If that's wrong, I'm willing to hear a better explanation ;) I'm just wondering if its worth watching and how long it is, as a fan of the manga :thumb:
Hahaha, and as for voodoo... :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[font="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][color="DarkOrchid"]The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. ~ Habakkuk 3:19[/color][/SIZE][/font][PHP][/PHP]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Yellow"]@)[/color][color="Lime"]}~`,~[/color][color="Cyan"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Carry This Rose In Your Signature, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/font][/color]
Smileloviene

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews