What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby Atria35 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:52 am

airichan623 (post: 1508129) wrote:not gonna lie i read 1 through 3 of this series and was really creeped out by it. It was...a little too much earthy-ness for me.

You'd have to clarify. I meant 'down to earth' as in it has the fantastical elements but isn't set in a fantasy world- Ghibli's films are usually set on places that aren't earth.

I love mythology, so seeing a series deal with native legends is very interesting to me. I don't mind the science either- the medical side is very accurate. I'm going to see where the fifth volume takes everything before making a judgement on whether the message is something I like.
Atria35

Postby AnimeGirl » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:57 pm

Read volume 1 of the Curse Killing Arc in the Higurashi When They Cry series. This one spotlights Satoko! I notice different arcs will spotlight different characters, so everyone gets an equal amount of screen time...besides Keichii XD!!
This looks like it'll be an interesting one. And finally, someone feeling uneasy about Ooishi. I've always felt him to be suspicious. The only time Ooishi didn't seem suspicious (or not too much, anyway) was the Time Killing Arc.
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Atria35 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:02 pm

Fruits Basket 13-16- I forgot which volume I'd left off with. Thank goodness I'd been marking them on MAL! So I restarted the series again. Very, very good.
Atria35

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:13 am

I'm trying to catch up on manga I haven't read in a while. Can anyone tell me if Mirai Nikki is actually finished and if so how satisfying the ending was?

CrystalChalice wrote:Fairy Tail 253: I did not expect that to happen.

If it actually did, my interest in the series has been renewed. But I'd give you very good odds the random woman who showed up for a page teleported everyone out, making this just a time skip.

Fairy Tail might be losing me via mediocrity. I wish the author was willing to let heroes lose a fight - Natsu pulling something out of thin air every single time gets old. This arc seemed determined to turn everything into a cheap victory. If they'd taken out the dragon via the usual methods I would have been done.
uc pseudonym

Postby Atria35 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:31 am

uc pseudonym (post: 1508688) wrote:I'm trying to catch up on manga I haven't read in a while. Can anyone tell me if Mirai Nikki is actually finished and if so how satisfying the ending was?

It is finished- 12 volumes- but I have yet to finish the series myself. Sorry!
Atria35

Postby Song_of_Storms » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:46 am

[font="Garamond"]I've been reading:

* Yotsuba! vol. 5

* K-on vol. 2

* Sailor Moon vol. 1

At first, I HATED Azusa (K-on) because I felt she was nothing but loli fodder for pedophiles. -but after reading vol. 2, she's ~sooo~ CUTE! \>o</ [/font]
ImageImage ImageImageImage
Song_of_Storms

Postby Atria35 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:12 pm

I'm about halfway through Ode to Kirihito. While most definitely not for the kids, I still find this to be an interesting, compelling story. Tezuka knew how to make manga!

EDit: Fruits Basket v 17-18

One Piece v. 1-3
Atria35

Postby Neane » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:28 pm

Just started Reading Liar Game. Really good read thus far.
Still reading Sanctuary too. The plot is getting much deeper.
Neane

Postby Atria35 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:18 am

Finished Ode to Kirihito. Heckuva story right there.

Edit: One Piece v 3-6- okaaaaay..... it's a lot better than I thought it would be. I had dismissed this because I dislike Naruto and loathe Bleach, but this is really, really good.

Also finished Fruits Basket. So. Dang. Good.
Atria35

Postby Atria35 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:59 pm

Yeah, double-posting..... More One Piece (up to v 13). This is definitely a lot of fun! I can see the obvious shounen stuff, but it has so much fun with it. The characters are also a lot more likeable than normal.
Atria35

Postby AnimeGirl » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:44 am

I started reading volume 1 of NG Life and finished 2 chapters so far. I was a little iffy on the premise and wasn't sure if I would like it, but actually this is really funny! There was some parts I just burst out laughing, due to how awkward the main guy felt. I feel so bad for him XD!!
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

AnimeGirl

Postby Atria35 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:22 pm

Kimi ga Suki v 1-3 (complete)- blah, blah, subpar shoujo romance manga. Totally not impressed.

Ibitsu v 1-2 (comeplete)- Excuse me while I not sleep for a few days. Oh. My. Gosh. Horror at it's finest. And most disturbing. And I'm never sleeping again. If anyone ever asks me whether I have a brother I'm running as fast and as far as possible.
Atria35

Postby CrystalChalice » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:46 am

Fairy Tail chapter 254: Well, except for [spoiler]the fact that Alzack and Bisca are now married, as well as that hope spot at the end courtesy of Blue Pegasus, [/spoiler]that was a very depressing read.
Whatever the season in life, the RIGHT attitude makes all the difference.

"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth."
Psalm 121:1-2

"Though our paths may have diverged, you must continue to live out your life with all your might; you must never consider your own life to be something insignificant, and you must never forget about the friends whom you loved for as long as you live."
The Third Rule of Fairy Tail

"Mistakes are not shackles that halt one from stepping forward. Rather, they are that which sustain and grow one's heart.
Mavis Vermilion, Fairy Tail

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.
Avatar Aang, The Legend of Korra
CrystalChalice

Postby Neane » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:33 pm

Atria35 (post: 1509821) wrote:
[B]Ibitsu
v 1-2 (comeplete)- Excuse me while I not sleep for a few days. Oh. My. Gosh. Horror at it's finest. And most disturbing. And I'm never sleeping again. If anyone ever asks me whether I have a brother I'm running as fast and as far as possible.

Thank you. I will read that before I go to sleep when I am done with my current readings.
Neane

Postby Atria35 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:54 pm

^ Enjoy.

Kaze Hikaru
v 1-3 - I really need to know is viz is purposefuly leaving out pages or what, because en all three volumes I've come across sections where three or so pages are missing, creating a 'wth happened' because something will have happened or they will be somewhere else with no explanation. They also don't seem to be ripped out of the books... just missing.
Atria35

Postby TWWK » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:05 pm

Caught up on Claymore.
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby Derek_Is_Me » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:32 pm

I've bought Pig Bride v 1-2 but I can't seem to find the rest of the series. Online or offline. Can someone PM a link to find them? I would appreciate that. ^^
Derek -The Daring Pokemon - A cool, totally awesome Pokemon that uses his power of song, medical skills and powers of cool to make others see things differently. He is not temperamental, but he likes to pull pranks and grins when you fall into his traps. Usually, he styles a fedora and prances around on all fours, he's all black with a white belly.

"Although I look into infinity. I only see the lords eyes, always shining upon my face and smiling in my heart. He will always be with me, no matter where I may go. Always watch over me lord. For I shall be eternal in your light."-Derek.
Derek_Is_Me

Location: Staring at you from your window outside. You have nice tastes in decor.

Postby Atria35 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:36 pm

Derek_Is_Me (post: 1510137) wrote:I've bought Pig Bride v 1-2 but I can't seem to find the rest of the series. Online or offline. Can someone PM a link to find them? I would appreciate that. ^^

It's called Amazon.
Volume 3
Volume 4
Volume 5
Atria35

Postby Vii » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:30 pm

I bought a few volumes of Fullmetal Alchemist a few weeks ago and have read those, and I saw a whole bunch of Fruits Basket volumes on the 50% off/Clearance table at Barnes and Noble that I'm thinking of getting...
Vii

Postby Atria35 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:38 pm

Dragon Head v 1-10 (Complete)- Dang. One of the most hopeful and yet utterly depressing manga I've ever read. Can it get worse? Yes it can! Will they keep going? Yes they will! Is it going to end well? Can't say that because it would be spoiling the whole thing.

Petshop of Horrors v 1- I really needed to wind down with this one. So good.

NG Life v 3 -re-read it because I love this volume second only to the last one. *goes to hug father* *Fatherly acceptance pose* *runs away*
Atria35

Postby AnimeGirl » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:53 am

I read chapter 3 of NG Life. Gah! Poor Keidai, so confused in these awkward situations!

AnimeGirl

Postby AnimeGirl » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:52 pm

Ack, sorry for the double-post. But anyway! I finished volume 1 of NG Life. It's actually pretty good. Not only funny, but some parts even made me cry! This is well written.

AnimeGirl

Postby Atria35 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:45 pm

Petshop of Horrors v 2-10 (complete)- Eh. Wasn't too fond the last volume, but for the most part really, really fascinating. And the last chapter tugged the heartstring a little
Atria35

Postby CrystalChalice » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:55 am

Fairy Tail Chapter 255: [spoiler] I knew that girl was Mavis Vermillion.

Putting that aside, I enjoyed the chapter and I'm glad they returned back to the guild, mostly because it sort of breaks my heart to see the guild members miserable. I really don't understand why so many people are now complaining that the seven year timeskip was pointless, even though the arc just started one chapter ago. C'mon guys, a lot can happen in seven years, read the following chapters before griping about it! :rant:
[/spoiler]
Whatever the season in life, the RIGHT attitude makes all the difference.

"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth."
Psalm 121:1-2

"Though our paths may have diverged, you must continue to live out your life with all your might; you must never consider your own life to be something insignificant, and you must never forget about the friends whom you loved for as long as you live."
The Third Rule of Fairy Tail

"Mistakes are not shackles that halt one from stepping forward. Rather, they are that which sustain and grow one's heart.
Mavis Vermilion, Fairy Tail

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.
Avatar Aang, The Legend of Korra
CrystalChalice

Postby Atria35 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:58 pm

Megaman NT v 1-3- A very cliched children's manga in every way. The characters are simple and one-dimentional, the story could be copied and pasted from 90% of other shounen, and there are obvious logic flaws in how the world works in it. For a kid, it's fine, nothing special. I just highly dislike the 'Daphne mentality' that is taken towards all the girls in the series so far.
Atria35

Postby MightiMidget » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:03 pm

Tegami Bachi vol. 1 -- that was very sweet. I enjoyed the anime quite a bit and found the first three volumes at the library (much to my shock). The first volume follows the anime pretty closely.
MightiMidget

Postby Atria35 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:08 pm

Wish (by CLAMP)- I'm halfway through volume one, and am finding this to hit the sweet spot on my adorableness meter. Kohaku is flipping adorable. And Shuichiro isn't an utter jerk, which is a welcome change.
Atria35

Postby Vii » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:15 pm

Silver Spoon - ch. 1-18

Because it's the new manga from Hiromu Arakawa (Fullmetal Alchemist), I decided I would see what it was about. I actually quite like it, it's definitely different than any other high school-set story I've ever seen. I mean [spoiler] You've got the fact that most of the animals are going to be chopped up, that the chickens are kept in tiny coops, oh, and a scene of a cow giving birth. I couldn't believe Arakawa would actually draw that scene (It didn't really bother me though, I've seen grosser stuff on Animal Planet) Oh, and that baby cow's gonna be raised up for meat. How happy.[/spoiler]
Hachiken...is a little annoying, but I like him all the same. [spoiler]He's actually quite caring, though he doesn't show it much. More so towards Mikage. =3[/spoiler]

I'm REALLY interested in why he's at that school though...
[spoiler]because it's strongly hinted that his home life is not so great. Oh yeah, and that whole thing that everyone else has a dream whereas he doesn't have one...I want to know what his dream's gonna end up being...[/spoiler]
Vii

Postby Atria35 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:03 am

Wish (CLAMP) - finished v 1, nearly done with 3. MAL has this marked as shounen-ai, but the story explains angels and demons to be genderless beings and sticks to that.... which makes it a little difficult to throw any particular gendered romance term onto it. It's also CCS-adorable, except a little more grown-up because of the mild suggestiveness and implications that are thrown around.
Atria35

Postby Mouse2010 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:57 am

I rarely read manga, but I make an exception for A Bride's Story. Volume 2 just came out in English, so I am rereading Volume 1 to prepare for it. Reading is probably not the right word, because this is a manga that one reads primarily for the amazingly detailed artwork. (The scenes of a little boy watching a woodcarver, for instance, are stunning. Who knew that woodchips could be so beautiful?)
Mouse2010

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews