Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Lockon Stratos » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:05 pm

Great good to know. *sweatdrop* This basicly means me and my siblings are doomed when it comes to anime doesn't it. And you never commented on my Old English accent. I'm hurt Atria, I really am. *sulks in a corner mumbling to self about nobody loving him and eating worms*
Lockon Stratos

Postby Atria35 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:38 pm

Lockon Stratos (post: 1505223) wrote:Great good to know. *sweatdrop* This basicly means me and my siblings are doomed when it comes to anime doesn't it. And you never commented on my Old English accent. I'm hurt Atria, I really am. *sulks in a corner mumbling to self about nobody loving him and eating worms*

....Sorry? It's not old English enough for me to recognize- I've been taking a lot of Shakespeare and Brit Lit classes over the last two semesters. But there are LOTS of anime with dubs that you and your siblings can watch! It's just that they won't be mecha.

Your sister should enjoy Angelic Layer- it's technically sci-fi, very family friendly, and has a good dub! I don't think she would enjoy Eve no Jikan, Escaflowne, Steins;Gate, or Rideback- they're clean, but for a more mature audience because of the themes they deal with.

But for a girl that young, I'd go with Angelic Layer, Hikaru no Go, Bamboo Blade, Card Captor Sakura (if you can find the NOT Cardcaptors dub- totally different story, and the vast majority of us will say it's far inferior to the original), Gakuen Alice, A Little Snow Fairy Sugar, Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, Magic Knight Rayearth.
Atria35

Postby Lockon Stratos » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:16 am

Well its just me and my brother who are the mecha nuts, she's still more in the talking animal stage. Fortunately her anime needs have been sustained with this show called Spider Riders. Now violence is okay, my mom has no problem with violence. (She's a bit of a nut. Of course, my whole family's like that.) And how many animes in her age range are on Netflix. That's the main way I have access to the stuff for her.
Lockon Stratos

Postby Atria35 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:52 am

Ah! I see. If you mainly watch them on the computer via Netflix, then there are other free, legal streaming sites- Crunchyroll, Hulu, the Funimation website, for instance.

CR has Fairy Musketeers, which she's probably enjoy (talking animals!) but it's sub. Hulu has Sgt. Frog, Princess Tutu, Full Moon wo Sagashite, in dub. Funi's website has Bamboo Blade,

Hulu has Rideback, as well. CR has Time of Eve (Eve no Jikan) and Steins;Gate. Unfortunately, most of the others you'd have to go to illegal streaming sites to view. And they'd probably be in sub. Or see if they're on Netfix- I don't have an account, so I don't know.
Atria35

Postby Lockon Stratos » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:24 am

Atria35 (post: 1505234) wrote:....Sorry? It's not old English enough for me to recognize- I've been taking a lot of Shakespeare and Brit Lit classes over the last two semesters.

My first post on this thread. I thought I was funny. And haven't you ever heard of the phrase "everybody hates me, nobody loves me, I guess I'll go eat worms". It's a drama queen joke.
Lockon Stratos

Postby Atria35 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:26 am

Lockon Stratos (post: 1505303) wrote:My first post on this thread. I thought I was funny. And haven't you ever heard of the phrase "everybody hates me, nobody loves me, I guess I'll go eat worms". It's a drama queen joke.

Never heard it before. Sorry!
Atria35

Postby Lockon Stratos » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:28 am

You're obviously not from the South then.
Lockon Stratos

Postby A88mph » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:09 am

Hi everyone.

A while back I made a request about animes that would intrest me. but now I would like to make a new, more spacific request.

I would like to find animes that are like Hamtaro: ones with absolutely no language, no blood, and no sexual imagrey, inuendos, and context.

Basicly, can anyone tell me if Anime has their own equivalent to a PBS show? because after running into nothing but high V-Chip rated shows on Netflix. I would like to finnaly see the other end of the spectrum.

Also, I have noticed that Japan has Live-Action shows, as well as Anime, but unlike older American movies, I have yet to see a show with the 2 mixed together (like Marry Poppins or Mr. Limpet).

Can anyone help out there as well?
A88mph

Postby Riona » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:42 am

Of course this reminds me of the play where the one grandma says to the other grandma, I don't watch tv any more, too much sex and violence, and the other grandma agrees with her, and it turns out that what she is watching is the nature channel...which has a lot of sex and violence as it turns out. I watch PBS all the time and I tell you, there mating and blood everywhere!

I can send you some recommendations for sweet and wholesome anime, but there's not necessarily gonna be "absolutely no" negative things happening. Fictions runs on tension, and tension means possibility of bad stuff.

For instance, I just finished, not long ago, Chance Pop Session, which is about girls studying to be pop singers, no sex, no fan service, no gore, AND the best depiction of Christian characters I have ever seen in anime, but ya know, a sympathetic character DIES and someone in the backstory tried to kill themselves. I still think this is a sweet and wholesome anime, though perhaps not appropriate for little kids.

My daughter recommends Bottle Fairy, which sounds really sweet, though I haven't seen it.

Personally I think Card Captor Sakura is a sweet wholesome anime and I DID show it to my kids, though if you are one of those people who obsess about what could be possibly homosexual feelings you might worry about it a little. It never goes there, but I admit there are a couple of places where it looks like it might. Yeah, Card Captor Sakura is all fight sequences, but hey, half my kids are boys.

Figure 17 is a weird schizophrenic show. About 45 minutes of every show is an adorable slow and beautiful thing about a young girl living on Hokaido and then there's 15 minutes of her fighting scary monsters with big teeth. It's not gorey, there's no blood flying around, but the monsters are pretty yucky gross.

My current adorable sweet show is actually Tora Dora, which is about teenagers, so there's relationship stress, but this show does NOT have fan service and I think it's incredibly wholesome, even if the hero is the love child of a hostess club girl and a (dead) gangster. (I do get where you coming from, and I get sick of all that garbage too, but I mostly judge a show by how it makes me feel at the end, and this one made me feel just wonderful.)

Or if you really want a show with nothing objectionable whatsoever, that's not a little kid show, have you seen Whispers of the Heart? It's one of the lesser known Ghibli movies, and I can't think what anyone could find to complain about in it. AND I love this movie. (But I'm prejudiced to like anything where the hero plays the violin, since my husband does too.)

There's also some stuff in the Rumiko Takahashi Antholgy that you would really like, like the Story of P.
Riona

Postby Atria35 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:51 am

A88mph (post: 1505751) wrote:Hi everyone.

A while back I made a request about animes that would intrest me. but now I would like to make a new, more spacific request.

I would like to find animes that are like Hamtaro: ones with absolutely no language, no blood, and no sexual imagrey, inuendos, and context.

Basicly, can anyone tell me if Anime has their own equivalent to a PBS show? because after running into nothing but high V-Chip rated shows on Netflix. I would like to finnaly see the other end of the spectrum.

Chi's Sweet Home. It's unlicensed, though. Um, Sketchbook ~full colors~. The Aria series (there is one bathhouse episode, but it's not sexual at all). Tamayura- one scene in a bathhouse, but it's not sexual, it's just a normal cultural family scene.

Also, I have noticed that Japan has Live-Action shows, as well as Anime, but unlike older American movies, I have yet to see a show with the 2 mixed together (like Marry Poppins or Mr. Limpet).

Can anyone help out there as well?

Non Alien by Jimmy Murakami. However, in general I get the feeling that this technique is very rare in Japan.
Atria35

Postby Falx » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:04 pm

Atria35 (post: 1505758) wrote:Chi's Sweet Home. It's unlicensed, though. Um, Sketchbook ~full colors~. The Aria series (there is one bathhouse episode, but it's not sexual at all). Tamayura- one scene in a bathhouse, but it's not sexual, it's just a normal cultural family scene.

Non Alien by Jimmy Murakami. However, in general I get the feeling that this technique is very rare in Japan.

GA: Art Design School also fits.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby A88mph » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:18 pm

Riona (post: 1505756) wrote:Of course this reminds me of the play where the one grandma says to the other grandma, I don't watch tv any more, too much sex and violence, and the other grandma agrees with her, and it turns out that what she is watching is the nature channel...which has a lot of sex and violence as it turns out. I watch PBS all the time and I tell you, there mating and blood everywhere!

Right. I should have been a little more spacific. I ment a PBS Kids show. those cartoons they showed that were also educational that had absolutly no obbsinities. (Example: Cyberchase, Arther, Ect.)
A88mph

Postby Atria35 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:00 pm

A88mph (post: 1506162) wrote:Right. I should have been a little more spacific. I ment a PBS Kids show. those cartoons they showed that were also educational that had absolutly no obbsinities. (Example: Cyberchase, Arther, Ect.)

I don't think 'educational' shows, as we would label them, would get subbed most of the time. I think most people who watch anime aren't into kid's shows. But! I think you might be able to find Akazukin Chacha, Goldfish Warning!, Fairy Musketeers, and The Snow Queen somewhere on the internetz (Snow Queen I know for sure isn't fully subbed). Also- any adaptation of the classics from Nippon Animation, like Emily of New Moon or Peter Pan, Alps no Shoujo Heidi and Dog of Flanders. I've heard that 3000 Leagues in Search of Mother is fabulous.
Atria35

Postby alecho » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:38 am

Darker Than Black series

Just finished watching and reading the manga series in chronological order. Really enjoyed the well animated action and the plot of the story. Enjoyed watching the character development ;)

1) Darker Than Black: Black Contractor
2) Darker Than Black: Shikoku no Hana (manga)
3) Darker Than Black: Black Contractor Gaiden
4) Darker Than Black: Gemini of the Meteor

Any Darker Than Black fans out there? ;)
AMERICAN OTAKU - a webcomic about our American GEEK culture.

ABSTRACT BEING - a never ending comic that started from a piece of Booger.

CHOEBROTHERS - my personal blog
alecho

Postby Smileloviene » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:50 pm

[quote="alecho (post: 1506605)"]Darker Than Black series

Just finished watching and reading the manga series in chronological order. Really enjoyed the well animated action and the plot of the story. Enjoyed watching the character development ]

ME!!!!!
Lol, I LOVE that series. Sadly, I was misinformed and watched it OUT of order ;) Some sucker told me the movies in the middle didn't matter, so I skipped them. After watching the WHOLE second season, I realized they must be rather crucial and watched them. But, besides that, I ADORE that series. So good, :thumb: and not popular enough. I'm glad someone else enjoyed it :cool:

Ps: Who was your favorite character? ;)
[font="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][color="DarkOrchid"]The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. ~ Habakkuk 3:19[/color][/SIZE][/font][PHP][/PHP]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Yellow"]@)[/color][color="Lime"]}~`,~[/color][color="Cyan"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Carry This Rose In Your Signature, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/font][/color]
Smileloviene

Postby alecho » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:21 pm

Originally posted by alecho (post: 1506605):
Darker Than Black series

Just finished watching and reading the manga series in chronological order. Really enjoyed the well animated action and the plot of the story. Enjoyed watching the character development

1) Darker Than Black: Black Contractor
2) Darker Than Black: Shikoku no Hana (manga)
3) Darker Than Black: Black Contractor Gaiden
4) Darker Than Black: Gemini of the Meteor

Any Darker Than Black fans out there?

ME!!!!!
Lol, I LOVE that series. Sadly, I was misinformed and watched it OUT of order Some sucker told me the movies in the middle didn't matter, so I skipped them. After watching the WHOLE second season, I realized they must be rather crucial and watched them. But, besides that, I ADORE that series. So good, and not popular enough. I'm glad someone else enjoyed it

Ps: Who was your favorite character?

Hey, Smileloviene! Glad to here there's a fellow Darker Than Black fan out there! Yeah, it was fun watching the anime in chronological order. But, I actually started reading the manga first. I bought it because I liked the art and wanted to learn the drawing style to help improve my new comic series. I then realized that the story was a bit "off." I found out about the anime series and started watching them in a chronological order.

Favorite character? Oh man... that is a tough question. I really liked the characters there because of their weird "cost" they have to pay for being a contractor. But I really liked November 11 from the first series. I also liked July in the series Gemini Metero (I didn't care much for him in the first series). Hmmm... let me think about this... There are too many characters to write about...

Hey, do you know if CAA have a thread for Darker Than Black? If not, should we start one?

anyways, YAY to Darker Than Black! ;)

alecho

Postby Smileloviene » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:03 pm

[quote="alecho (post: 1507335)"]Hey, Smileloviene! Glad to here there's a fellow Darker Than Black fan out there! Yeah, it was fun watching the anime in chronological order. But, I actually started reading the manga first. I bought it because I liked the art and wanted to learn the drawing style to help improve my new comic series. I then realized that the story was a bit "off." I found out about the anime series and started watching them in a chronological order.

Favorite character? Oh man... that is a tough question. I really liked the characters there because of their weird "cost" they have to pay for being a contractor. But I really liked November 11 from the first series. I also liked July in the series Gemini Metero (I didn't care much for him in the first series). Hmmm... let me think about this... There are too many characters to write about...

Hey, do you know if CAA have a thread for Darker Than Black? If not, should we start one?

anyways, YAY to Darker Than Black! ]

Hahaha, I know, such a hard question, right? Oh man, I like November 11 too! He was definitely close to the top on my list :) July? Was that the black girl with blue hair?

Dude, I dunno? But a thread for that would be awesome! I'll look and see if they have one. If not, we should totally start one :thumb: It should be under the anime section if there is one right?
[font="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][color="DarkOrchid"]The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. ~ Habakkuk 3:19[/color][/SIZE][/font][PHP][/PHP]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Yellow"]@)[/color][color="Lime"]}~`,~[/color][color="Cyan"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Carry This Rose In Your Signature, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/font][/color]
Smileloviene

Postby Smileloviene » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:04 pm

Oh yeah, I was also wondering, guys...

Hmm... I've watched most of the first season of Kuroshitsuji and am debating finishing it. Has anyone watched it and can say whether it's worth it? I con't really care for the sometimes dirty humor, and the dark themes are close to too much for me. To be honest, I only watched as much as I have so far with the hope that Ciel will become a better person, plus I think his servants are HILARIOUS (minus sebastian, most the time he just creeps me out and I wonder 'why is he so popular?') But yeah. From that perspective, could anyone tell be if it's worth it or not? I think the last episode I watched was 24 0r something.

Thoughts? :?:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Smileloviene

Postby MightiMidget » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:07 pm

Kuroshitsuji thoughts:

If you've watched ep 24, you should have finished it. Unless you're asking about the second season which I didn't watch.

But from my memory of the first season (spoilers for the ending):
[spoiler]Ciel never becomes a "better person." Sebastian carries out his deal with Ciel to every crossed t in the contract, and it ends with him taking Ciel's soul. <-- that's sort of expanded on in second season which is not focused on Ciel and Sebastian, however.[/spoiler]

I did not like it, really at all. But that brand of demonic (as in, the word "demon" can mean multiple interpretations in fiction. The straight from Hell, servant of Satan demon definition, like Sebastian, creeps me out in a not good way) is something I just don't like. I finished the series for popularity's sake and since it was a favorite of a friend.

(and Darker Than Black is absolutely awesome, yep yep. :D :D )

I hope that helps somewhat.
MightiMidget

Postby alecho » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:43 pm

Howdy! Just browsed the Anime Forum and I couldn't find any on Darker Than Black. So! I created one! Jump over to the Anime forum and let's talk about Contractors! :)

direct link: http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=60143

alecho

Postby Neane » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:09 pm

Can someone recommend me some philosophical/psychological anime series?
Anime I have seen that fit this are:

.hack//Sign (My favorite anime as a Child)
Welcome to the NHK (This is wonderful)
Paranoia Agent (I watched this one when I was younger.)
Texhnolyze (The Ending...The Ending)
Boogiepop Phantom (This is Great.)
Serial Experiments Lain (Love this One)
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Bokurano (Sad)
Kino's Journey (Love this One)
Monster (This is great for the mind.)
Haibane Renmei (Love this One)
Ghost in the Shell (The First Movie is Philosophical/Action. The Second One is Pure Philosophical. Watched the TV Series on Adult Swim.)

Also Greatly Enjoyed: Code Geass and Death Note

I have found out that I greatly enjoy these type of anime.
I have also seen and loved Gunslinger Girl, Kaiji, (Now and Then, Here and There).

Currently:
Akagi and then One Outs

Anyone want to recommend me some more anime?
Neane

Postby Atria35 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:13 pm

Neane (post: 1509290) wrote:Can someone recommend me some philosophical/psychological anime series?
.hack//Sign
Welcome to the NHK
Paranoia Agent
Texhnolyze (The Ending...The Ending)
Boogiepop Phantom
Serial Experiments Lain (Love this One)
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Bokurano (Sad)
Kino's Journey (Love this One)
Monster
Haibane Renmei (Love this One)
Ghost in the Shell
I have found out that I greatly enjoy these type of anime.
I have also seen and loved Gunslinger Girl, Kaiji, (Now and Then, Here and There).

Ergo Proxy
Certain arcs of Aoi Bungaku
Ghost Hound
Paprika
Hell Girl
Kaiba
Mushishi
Noein
Atria35

Postby Neane » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:16 pm

Atria35 (post: 1509293) wrote:Ergo Proxy
Certain arcs of Aoi Bungaku
Ghost Hound
Paprika
Hell Girl
Kaiba
Mushishi
Noein

I watched Hell Girl when it was on TV. So I will watch Kaiba, Mushishi, Ghost Hound, Noein, and the movie Paprika. Thank you. Never Heard of Aoi Bungaku, so I will watch it.
Also I will checkout Ergo Proxy. Thank you very much.
Neane

Postby Smileloviene » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:47 pm

MightiMidget (post: 1508456) wrote:Kuroshitsuji thoughts:

If you've watched ep 24, you should have finished it. Unless you're asking about the second season which I didn't watch.

But from my memory of the first season (spoilers for the ending):
[spoiler]Ciel never becomes a "better person." Sebastian carries out his deal with Ciel to every crossed t in the contract, and it ends with him taking Ciel's soul. <-- that's sort of expanded on in second season which is not focused on Ciel and Sebastian, however.[/spoiler]

I did not like it, really at all. But that brand of demonic (as in, the word "demon" can mean multiple interpretations in fiction. The straight from Hell, servant of Satan demon definition, like Sebastian, creeps me out in a not good way) is something I just don't like. I finished the series for popularity's sake and since it was a favorite of a friend.

(and Darker Than Black is absolutely awesome, yep yep. :D :D )

I hope that helps somewhat.

Very helpful. I must have not watched quite that far, but I'm done watching it forever. Thank you and I totally agree with everything you said from what I watched. I just watched so far, like I said, for the CLEAN humor and trying to find out why it was so popular... which... why IS it, anyway? :drool:

alecho (post: 1509013) wrote:Howdy! Just browsed the Anime Forum and I couldn't find any on Darker Than Black. So! I created one! Jump over to the Anime forum and let's talk about Contractors! :)

direct link: http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=60143

Will do! I'm on my way ;)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Smileloviene

Postby MightiMidget » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:07 pm

I think it's popular because "Sebastian is cool." But not entirely sure otherwise. :oops:
MightiMidget

Postby AdriantheSecond » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:28 pm

Hey, can anyone recommend some anime for an 11 year old boy? He likes fantasy stuff and stuff dealing with magic is okay, too. Not much for Sci-Fi or anything psychological/thriller type.
He can take blood, but no gore, please. Violence and stuff really isn't an issue, provided it isn't super-disturbing.
Language...eh, the general D***, H*** type words aren't going to hurt him, just provided it's not extremely frequent.
Sexual content is definitely a no-no...he can't take a lot of immodest women or fanservice. He's just hitting the age where he's beginning to understand boys liking girls and vice versa. And, definitely no crossdressers or stuff like that.

Right now, I've got him watching DN Angel (english dubbed) and he's REALLY enjoying it. So he's not necessarily against watching a 'girls anime' or so to speak.

Aaaaand, I also have another question. I recently began watching Durarara!!, and I'm not sure if I really like it or not. I'm on episode 6, and so far it really hasn't drawn my attention the way Baccano! did, and I'm wondering if it's worth it, or if it's even similar to Baccano! at all? I've recognized the story-telling is similar (and I know it's the same author...) and definitely some elements are similar...but I was just wondering, does it get better than this? Also...does the content have much more blood/violence than Baccano! does, or is essentially the same? Cause I'm curious about recommending it to friends...

Please forgive me if this isn't the right place to ask this! XD
AdriantheSecond

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:44 pm

AdriantheSecond (post: 1509529) wrote:Aaaaand, I also have another question. I recently began watching Durarara!!, and I'm not sure if I really like it or not. I'm on episode 6, and so far it really hasn't drawn my attention the way Baccano! did, and I'm wondering if it's worth it, or if it's even similar to Baccano! at all? I've recognized the story-telling is similar (and I know it's the same author...) and definitely some elements are similar...but I was just wondering, does it get better than this? Also...does the content have much more blood/violence than Baccano! does, or is essentially the same? Cause I'm curious about recommending it to friends...

Please forgive me if this isn't the right place to ask this! XD

Unfortunately, I don't have anime to reccomend for your brother. But I can tell you about Durarara:

It is awesome. Keep watching, at least until the arc's end (#12).

If you want a little more info from people who probably remember it better than I do, go here.

Content: Durarara has much less blood than Baccano, and I *think* less violence overall. If I remember right, the rest of the content is moderate cussing, brief undetailed nudity (a dissection scene), and crass dialogue.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Atria35 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:02 pm

AdriantheSecond (post: 1509529) wrote:Hey, can anyone recommend some anime for an 11 year old boy? He likes fantasy stuff and stuff dealing with magic is okay, too. Not much for Sci-Fi or anything psychological/thriller type.
He can take blood, but no gore, please. Violence and stuff really isn't an issue, provided it isn't super-disturbing.
Language...eh, the general D***, H*** type words aren't going to hurt him, just provided it's not extremely frequent.
Sexual content is definitely a no-no...he can't take a lot of immodest women or fanservice. He's just hitting the age where he's beginning to understand boys liking girls and vice versa. And, definitely no crossdressers or stuff like that.

Right now, I've got him watching DN Angel (english dubbed) and he's REALLY enjoying it. So he's not necessarily against watching a 'girls anime' or so to speak.

Well, in the world of anime, fantasy = magic, so as long as some magic is okay, there should be a few titles he can watch.

Hikaru no Go is definitely a good one- no blood, no fanservice, only magic is a ghost, and it's surprisingly fun for a show about Go. He also might like Angelic Layer, which is sci-fi but only to the extent that they can control small robotic dolls with special equipment. I think we have a review for it on here. Heroman is also sci-fi, like a child-friendly version of Iron Man. From what I understand it has some more magic/fantasy-like elements to it, though.

I want to say Kekkaishi, but I'm not entirely sure of the content. You might want to pre-screen some episodes before deciding. He might also enjoy Tsubasa Chronicle, which is pretty darn clean in all respects. The only issue is that the entire story wasn't adapted from the manga, so if you want to know what's happening in the OVAs, you have to read those arcs or you're going to be so lost.
Atria35

Postby Smileloviene » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:41 pm

MightiMidget (post: 1509340) wrote:I think it's popular because "Sebastian is cool." But not entirely sure otherwise. :oops:

Lol, I had a feeling... ]Hey, can anyone recommend some anime for an 11 year old boy? He likes fantasy stuff and stuff dealing with magic is okay, too. Not much for Sci-Fi or anything psychological/thriller type.

Aaaaand, I also have another question. I recently began watching Durarara!!, and I'm not sure if I really like it or not. I'm on episode 6, and so far it really hasn't drawn my attention the way Baccano! did, and I'm wondering if it's worth it, or if it's even similar to Baccano! at all? I've recognized the story-telling is similar (and I know it's the same author...) and definitely some elements are similar...but I was just wondering, does it get better than this? Also...does the content have much more blood/violence than Baccano! does, or is essentially the same? Cause I'm curious about recommending it to friends...

Please forgive me if this isn't the right place to ask this! XD[/QUOTE]

First, Durarara is totally worth it... I loved the entire series through and through :)

Second, for your brother. If he likes DN Angel, he might also like Black Cat... but it's been a while sense I watched it. Does anyone else know how bad the language is? If he likes airplanes, Area 88 is an EXTREMELY clean show from my recollection, and I watched that one pretty recently.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Smileloviene

Postby Atria35 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:15 pm

Smileloviene (post: 1509829) wrote:Second, for your brother. If he likes DN Angel, he might also like Black Cat... but it's been a while sense I watched it. Does anyone else know how bad the language is? If he likes airplanes, Area 88 is an EXTREMELY clean show from my recollection, and I watched that one pretty recently.

Animegirl had a series review on her blog- it does have a few uses of the d- and h-words, and a few uses of the word for illegitimate child. She only watched it dubbed, though, so what the content is like for it subbed is unknown.
Atria35

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews