What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby mkalv » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:27 pm

Yesterday, I read One Piece volume 52. The author keeps thinking up new powers.
No pain, no gain. I would prefer no pain, but still gain.
mkalv

Postby Atria35 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:24 pm

Since they FINALLY arrived, I read volumes 1-7 of NG Life- often described as the spiritual decendent of Please Save My Earth, this is a fabulous character-driven story about how the past affects people. This manages to balance comedy with deep emotional drama, romance with hesitation and pain. I can't believe that there are only two more volumes in the series!
Atria35

Postby Rylynn4869 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:48 pm

I just finished reading Bakuman vol. 2 and I'm really looking forward to getting Alice in the Country of Hearts vol. 6 sometime soon, but in the meantime I'm reading The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (the book, not the manga adaption).
[SIZE="2"]We've all got wounds, we've all got scars
Sometimes it hurts, sometimes it's hard
Don't give up hope, don't give up hope

'Cause He's got those wounds, and He's got those scars
And with His blood He heals our hearts
He is our hope, He is our hope!
~Don't Give Up the Fight by Revive[/SIZE]
Rylynn4869

Postby Atria35 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:56 pm

Rylynn4869 (post: 1498766) wrote:getting Alice in the Country of Hearts vol. 6

I would love to know how you're going to do that since Tokyopop (the publisher) went out of business before the 6th volume was released. You're going to have to read scanlations or wait for it to be re-licensed if you want to buy it.

EDIT: Finished NG Life v. 8-9- 10/10. One of the best manga I've read, balancing humor with drama and loss. I wish more people knew about it/read it.
Atria35

Postby Rylynn4869 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:17 pm

Atria35 (post: 1498767) wrote:I would love to know how you're going to do that since Tokyopop (the publisher) went out of business before the 6th volume was released

I saw it in the bookstore a couple weeks ago... are you sure they didn't go out of business right after it was released? I remember, I was about to buy 5 and 6 together, but then I counted my money... haha!

EDIT: then again, I am a bit dyslexic when it comes to numbers... like seriously, I'm not just saying that to be funny. So I could have easily been looking at vol. 3 and thought it was a 6.
[SIZE="2"]We've all got wounds, we've all got scars
Sometimes it hurts, sometimes it's hard
Don't give up hope, don't give up hope

'Cause He's got those wounds, and He's got those scars
And with His blood He heals our hearts
He is our hope, He is our hope!
~Don't Give Up the Fight by Revive[/SIZE]
Rylynn4869

Postby Atria35 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:57 pm

^ It's okay. It's just that no one has it- no one. I think that the single person on Amazon that's claiming it is lying, to be honest.
Atria35

Postby MangaRocks! » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:40 pm

The Bride Of The Water God manhwa (vol.'s 1-8 so far): Well, this has been interesting in several ways. #1, it's the first manhwa (Korean manga) that I've read. #2, its story is based on an actual old myth. #3, this entails a rather large cast of characters (many of which appear a ways before they're formally introduced or explained)... and there's reams of subtext-- what all of the political and emotional relationships/motivations are, who is loyal to whom, how all of the flashbacks fit together, what happened between certain timeskips in the present, and etc.; plus the fact that everyone is hiding something-- so it's a series that you kinda have to work on a bit mentally while you're reading it. :) Oh, and the art is also interesting in the fact that it's a fair bit more detailed than you'd expect from (the equivalent of) a shojo, and quite pretty, also. In all, I think it's been fairly good, and I'm going to go ahead and keep following this one via the library as it's released.

Also, Gin no Saji (a.k.a. Silver Spoon), chapters 13-14: Oh dear, I wonder how Hachiken is going to handle that one... :sweat:

Oh, and I've also been re-reading Fruits Basket (a.k.a. Furuba :)) in celebration of finally acquiring each and every volume (...a goal which-- along with collecting all of the English-printed volumes of D.N.Angel-- had been made a considerably higher priority with TokyoPop's demise. :sweat: And it's done! :jump:). And man, this series is just as awesome the second time around as it was the first! (...Yep-- still my top-favorite manga. :thumb:)
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:50 pm

Tsubasa Chronicle chapters 54-56. Okay, so they're in a circus, not a red light district. I was worried there for a minute.... <_<

Oh, and I'm up to chapter 14 of Gin no Saji.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby AnimeGirl » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:58 pm

Volume 1 of Noodle Fighter Miki (Muteki Kanban Masume) was pretty good, but not as good as the anime, in my opinion. Though some of the stories that weren't in the anime were a nice little bonus. And the 4koma.

Just finished reading vol.2 of Dream Saga, after long last!! I just LOVE this manga! It's so cute and interesting and I can't wait to buy the last 3 volumes to finish the story <33
Yuuki is awesome. I like how she can shut up the boys and make 'em sit down when they're fighting XD!!
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby wildpurplechild » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:17 pm

AnimeGirl (post: 1500535) wrote:Volume 1 of Noodle Fighter Miki (Muteki Kanban Masume) was pretty good, but not as good as the anime, in my opinion. Though some of the stories that weren't in the anime were a nice little bonus. And the 4koma.

Yeah I read the first vol then got the anime. Both are hilarious! I love the Eco Rangers!

Read Vol 6 of Natsume's Book of Friends. Another good one as usual! Though [SPOILER]He never actually uses the book of friends in this. The ending was a bit of a cliff hanger also, which is surprising since it's usually more episodic. I can't wait to see how the Kai thing pans out![/SPOILER]
Heads up, I don't go on this site much these days...
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

Postby blkmage » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:33 am

After checking out the Hotarubi no Mori e trailer, I wondered if anyone had scanlated it, and it turns out they did, so I read it while waiting for Mawaru Penguindrum.

From what I can tell, the movie only covers the first of the four one-shots. It makes me wonder how they're going to get even an hour of content out of that one-shot, but if they can pull it off, it'll be good. The transition from the original character designs to their anime renderings is kinda similar to how Bungaku Shoujo turned out.

Anyhow, about the manga itself, they all deal with a guy and a girl. Just like the stories in Natsume Yuujinchou, the stories here range from Image to Image.
blkmage

Postby Cadence » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:37 pm

blkmage (post: 1501594) wrote:From what I can tell, the movie only covers the first of the four one-shots. It makes me wonder how they're going to get even an hour of content out of that one-shot, but if they can pull it off, it'll be good.
I don't know if you've read the Natsume Yuujinchou manga, but judging by how that anime adaption turned out, this staff actually tends to do better when they have less material to work with. They turned a really short special chapter (I think it was 15-16 pages) of Natsume into one of the best episodes of the show so far, so I have faith this is going to turn out good as well. Hotarubi no Mori e is my favorite Midorikawa work after Natsume, so I'm really looking forward to the movie.

Anyway, I finished reading Shaman King a while back. It is a bit hard for me to sum up my feelings on this one. I really like silly shounen manga. I really liked Shaman King. I really did...I wouldn't have read 30-some volumes of it if I did not like it. But I don't feel like I can give it any higher than a 5/10 rating...for numerous (and hilarious) reasons that are too spoilerific to get into here.
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6
Cadence

Postby Atria35 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:29 am

12 Days, and OEL manga about a woman who's lost the woman she loves and decides to become her living urn by drinking her ashes for 12 days. Interesting, touching, sad, but also disjointed in the way it's told. This would have been better in 2 volumes instead of one.
Atria35

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:47 pm

Gin no Saji chapter 15. I chuckled at Hachiken-kun's intense expressions over butchering the deer :lol:
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby AnimeGirl » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:44 pm

wildpurplechild (post: 1501009) wrote:Yeah I read the first vol then got the anime. Both are hilarious! I love the Eco Rangers!

That was funny XD!! I like how they each chose one, and when they got to "Eco Red. Hot blooded and manly" Megumi's like "FORGET IT!!" XD
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

AnimeGirl

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:14 pm

Gin no Saji (a.k.a. Silver Spoon), chapter 15: Well, thankfully, that was done a lot more tastefully than I was expecting! :sweat: Good to see some character growth there on Hachiken's part, too.

Also, Kimi ni Todoke vol. 10: All I have to say about this is "YES!! FINALLY!!!" :jump:;):grin: (...In other words, I loved it. :thumb:)
Saved by grace.

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby bakura91 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:42 pm

Been Picking up lots of old Ranma 1/2 volumes at the used bookstore. That ones always great! and don't know if this would belong in book or general entertainment since it isnt manga but Ive been reading lots of Green Lantern. I'm currently on Sinestro Corps vol.2
bakura91

Postby AnimeGirl » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:14 pm

Finally finished volume of Nabari no Ou. When I first started reading it, I didn't think much of this series. But as I got further into the volume, it began to peek my interest! So I shall continue reading the other 4 volumes my friend lended me. It is sure to be an interesting story!

AnimeGirl

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:54 pm

Twin spica, by kou yaginuma. I love it:P
"People need fear, we experience it so we can grow stronger"-Maka Albarn
Panda4christ:3

Location: There are some things you should just keep to yourself

Postby Atria35 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:54 pm

Nephilim John 1-2- I've been a little uninterested by what I'm normally reading, so I decided to pick up this. Does it play with Christianity? Yes, a bit- it's also set in a fantasy world where Christianity exists, so I rather expect that (and don't mind since most apocalyptic Christian fiction bites).

I like how this made it an interesting story that deals with one of the more taboo subjects of Christian lore- Nephilim, mentioned in Genesis and Numbers. Because of the various interpretations of the Nephilim, this takes the most common: They are the offspring of angels and mortal women (the story itself says it was fallen angels and mortal women- and fallen angels that had not repented and rejoined God is implied though not spelled out where I am at this point, from a dialogue between Lucifer and Michael).

I expect that it will go further into the backstory as told in the Book of Enoch and the Book of Jubilees, and am rather excited about it, truth be told.
Atria35

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:34 am

I have finally started reading Shingeki no Kyojin like I've been saying I would. I'm not caught up yet, but I will do so as I have consistent internet. Though I'm not pleased by the flashback, the series earned a lot of benefit of the doubt from me thanks to the implications about why the Titans exist. So I'd be in support of making a following thread as was suggested here.

Atria35 wrote:I expect that it will go further into the backstory as told in the Book of Enoch and the Book of Jubilees, and am rather excited about it, truth be told.

Make sure to say if you like where it goes. I dropped the series, but mostly because I felt like I didn't had the time and I was already reading Ares.
uc pseudonym

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:52 pm

Read the third volume of xxxHOLiC yesterday, and the second of Bakuman a few days before that.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Atria35 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:41 pm

Zombie Loan v1-6- since I got the new volumes a few days ago, it's time to attempt to finish the series! Violence level- expected. It's about zombies hunting other zombies, where would the flowers and butterflies be? Language level- higher than expected. I think I saw the f-bomb dropped twice in the first 4 volumes. Necessary? Not really, but one of the characters is just foul-mouthed and angry. But other than that, I'm actually really enjoying the characters and the way they interact- the storyline is just a vehicle for that.
Atria35

Postby Neane » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:02 am

Currently reading the First Volume of the Manga called Sanctuary. This manga has been called The Godfather of Japanese Manga by many people. It is a really great read so far, but I have to say that this manga is not for kids due to the content. The artwork is very excellent.
Neane

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:08 pm

uc pseudonym (post: 1502872) wrote: So I'd be in support of making a following thread as was suggested here.
I was actually going to do this since I'm caught up now, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I guess I'll try and do it tonight since there seems to be a fairly sizable interest.

Interestingly enough, I was also a little disappointed with parts of the flashback arc, especially Eren and the three-dimensional gear, but I also like that we finally got to know some of the other soldiers aside from Mikasa, Eren, and Armin(who I thought was a girl until the last chapter :<)

Oh, I read Ohikkoshi. It was pretty alright, love Samura's art, focus is kind of weird, Italian guy was awesome.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:39 pm

I'm up to chapter 68 in Tsubasa Chronicle now. I didn't much care for the latest world(s) they were in (I think it's because Fai and Kurogane weren't in it as much as usual, and I like them waaaaay more than Sakura and Syaoran :P), but at least they're off to a new place now. And the plot is slowly thickening in terms of the villains!

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby GeneD » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:16 am

Reading JoJo's Bizarre Adventure part 7 Steel Ball Run. Most of is Did.That just happen? O_o the rest is What.Just happened? o_O and all of it is Pretty.Awesome ^_^b
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby MangaRocks! » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:59 pm

Gin no Saji (a.k.a. Silver Spoon), chapter 16: Not much to say about this chapter, actually, other than the fact that it was good. :)

Urooboe Uroboros! one shot: Read this only because it was drawn by Takeshi Obata and written by NisiOisiN. All things considered, there, it wasn't quite as good as I'd hoped :P; but it wasn't bad, either.

And last but definitely not least, Kimi to Boku. (chapters 1-18 so far): Oh man-- this has just become a new favorite manga of mine! :grin: I absolutely adore all of the characters (...well, minus Shun's brother :sweat:, but at least he's only been in one chapter so far :P); the humor is spot-on (and usually downright hilarious! :lol::lol::lol:); and, really, it's just been excellent all-around! (Hope it stays that way in the future... :))
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby AnimeGirl » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:16 pm

Read volume 2 of Nabari no Ou. Just started on volume 3 today. It's getting interesting. I wonder what's going to happen!

AnimeGirl

Postby Gojira » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:32 pm

The many editions of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.
Gojira

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews