Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:25 pm

Crossfire (post: 1494373) wrote:Hey, anybody know a good series that involves...anything militaristic in general?

Legend of Galactic Heroes
Armored Trooper VOTOMS
Silent Service
Zipang
Flag
Fang of the Sun Dougram
Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team

These should get you started =).

*EDIT - Also, these shows are VERY heavy on the military theme, so if you just want military-ish trappings or a show about some military-esque organization, i.e. Section 9 in Ghost in the Shell or the Special Vehicles Unit Div 2 of the Tokyo Police Force in Patlabor, then there are some other shows I can recommend.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Atria35 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:47 am

Crossfire (post: 1494373) wrote:Hey, anybody know a good series that invloves aircraft, or anything militaristic in general? I've watched Area 88, Code Geass, and Full Metal Panic to name a few, and loved all of them.

The Cockpit
Memories
Flag
Yomigaeru Sora: Rescue Wings
Library Wars
Taiyou no Mokushiroku: A Spirit of the Sun
Pumpkin Scissors
Senjou no Valkyria: Gallian Chronicles
Cat *insert alt. word for poop* One (think Watership Down for this one)
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade
Ghost in the Shell
Heroic Age
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Macross
Patlabor
Crest of Stars
To Terra
Space Battleshi Yamato
Atria35

Postby Nall » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:26 pm

Oops. It seems I accidentally recommended a favorite rather than ask for a recommendation.

I apologize
にゃ~
Nall

Postby Falx » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:22 pm

so are you asking for a recommendation or...?

Because this thread is only for asking for recommendations, if you didn't know before.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby babyXmonkey:) » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:03 pm

hai =D i was looking for some anime to watch and was wondering if any of you could help me...? i like comedy, fantasy, cute (not sure about the official word for that...? <=.), and romance to name a few, though im not too pickky about genre (not a huge sci fi/sports person though). some of the stuff ive watched are:

angelic layer
ouran high school host club
fruits basket
death note
tokyo mew mew
princess tutu
howls moving castle
spiral: melody of logic
piano: melody of a young girls heart

and if possible id prefer there to be no sexual/nudity stuff in it pretty plz <=3 magical girl transformations are fine, but thats as far as ill go =) and not too much blood and gore plz ^_^
babyXmonkey:)

Postby babyXmonkey:) » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:31 pm

hi everyone! i was looking for some recommendations for some new anime and was wondering if maybe you could help me out?? =D

so...im not too picky about genre (though im not big on sci-fi mecha-y stuff.), but my favs are comedy, fantasy, romance, and the cutesy stuff (not sure the actual word for that...kawaii?). some of the anime ive watched and liked are:

ouran
fruits basket
death note
spiral
piano
castle in the sky
tokyo mew mew

and also magical girl transformations are as far as id like to go with the...awkward...stuff...=/ so yes. thankies! *curtsies and runs away*
and then...i will take the potato chip...AND EAT IT!!!
~light from death note

yea though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death, i will fear no evil. for Thou art with me. Thy rod and Thy staff they comfort me
~psalm 23:4

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:45 pm

babyXmonkey:) (post: 1497992) wrote:hi everyone! i was looking for some recommendations for some new anime and was wondering if maybe you could help me out?? =D

so...im not too picky about genre (though im not big on sci-fi mecha-y stuff.), but my favs are comedy, fantasy, romance, and the cutesy stuff (not sure the actual word for that...kawaii?). some of the anime ive watched and liked are:

ouran
fruits basket
death note
spiral
piano
castle in the sky
tokyo mew mew

and also magical girl transformations are as far as id like to go with the...awkward...stuff...=/ so yes. thankies! *curtsies and runs away*
Princess Tutu
Angelic Layer
Cross Game
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby babyXmonkey:) » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:03 pm

aah thanku!!! =D the 1st two actually sound kinda familiar....=o
and then...i will take the potato chip...AND EAT IT!!!
~light from death note

yea though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death, i will fear no evil. for Thou art with me. Thy rod and Thy staff they comfort me
~psalm 23:4

Postby Rri X » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:45 pm

Could someone fill me in on the content level in Rurouni Kenshin, and give me info on which is better, the sub or dub? :) Thanks!
Rri X

Postby Juliannesan » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:36 am

Rri X (post: 1498165) wrote:Could someone fill me in on the content level in Rurouni Kenshin, and give me info on which is better, the sub or dub? :) Thanks!

I personally love the dub a lot better than the sub. [which isn't the usually for me]
There is also less swearing in the dub. So that is also a plus.

Umm, there isn't really any sexual content to speak of, there are some ladies that wear somewhat skimpyish kimonos, but it isn't often or regular.

There is some violence [blood, namely], especially towards the middle of the series, but it's never gratuitous.

There is a bit of language, but like I said, not as much in the dub.

All in all it's a show worth watching through, at least once. ;) It's my favorite. :D
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby AngelicTotoro » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:49 pm

Sexual content 3/10:
A few female characters dress in skimpy clothing, one of them is constantly showly cleveage. Also, if I remember there is a little bit of innuendo here and there, but it's mostly Megumi teasing Karou about Kenshin, (Or using him to do so.) And there is one cross-dressing character, but he's mostly harmless.
(he does have a crush on a character, but his feelings are not returned and he isn't in the show very long. In fact I didn't even know he was a guy until some other characters point it out.)

Violence 7/10: I think seven out of ten is warning enough.
The violence is never gory, (Blood splatters and silhouettes are shown.) People do die, and there are some cruel deaths that did make me upset. [spoiler]A boy goes with Kenshin to find his parents, only to see them strung up like a couple dead animals, beaten to death. (You only see their feet though.)Also a character does die in a rather disturbing way, (Cringe worthy I might add.) There was a bit of lead up to it however, so it wasn't a shock or anything and afterwards I thought it was probably the best way for that character to die.[/spoiler]

Language 5/10: On average RK has about four+ swear words an episode.
(This is usually ether the villain's fault or Sanosuke's and Yahiko's fault. :sweat:)
The most common are, the D-word and the B-word. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong on any of this. ;^^)

Religion 2/10: There are temples for worship and one character is an ex buddhist monk.

Dub VS Sub: I see that Julianne suggested the dub, I believe the sub to be best. (I know Kenshin being voiced by a women takes a little getting used to, but I think it really does fit his character.) Plus, you can't miss out on Sanosuke, Saito and Aoshi's japanese voices; they fit the characters to a T!
(Also, I love Misao's voice, it's done by Tomo Sakurai, who not only has a great singing voice, she voices Meimi Hanekoa! {That's Saint Tail to you who don't know. :cool:})

Ending notes: I highly recommened Rurouni Kenshin, it has a great cast of a characters, a deep, moving plot and a fantastic soundtrack. (Don't let the first starting song fool you, all of the ending songs are awesome-sauce and the second opening is great.) Oh, one last thing, stop watching around episode 63 and start up the manga. (The rest of the anime is filler ranging from, okay to barf bags. :shake:)

Enjoy RK, I know I did! 8D
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:56 pm

Soooo, Mononoke...

I am near completion with Yuasa's stuff, since I'm going to watch Mind Game tomorrow and will be finishing up Kaiba once the thread is over. I have heard Kenji Nakamura's unique and vibrant animation compared with Yuasa's stuff as far as experimental animation goes. So should I watch Ayakashi before watching Mononoke? Or should I start with Trapeze? Well, "start", since I've already seen C but that sucked.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Atria35 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:13 am

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1499587) wrote:Soooo, Mononoke...

I am near completion with Yuasa's stuff, since I'm going to watch Mind Game tomorrow and will be finishing up Kaiba once the thread is over. I have heard Kenji Nakamura's unique and vibrant animation compared with Yuasa's stuff as far as experimental animation goes. So should I watch Ayakashi before watching Mononoke? Or should I start with Trapeze? Well, "start", since I've already seen C but that sucked.

Watch Ayakashi before Mononoke, since it has the prequel arc 'Bakeneko' which is what Mononoke is based off of, and which is referenced back to in the last arc of Mononoke. Although I will admit that I feel that the second arc of Ayakashi (Goddess of the Dark Tower) isn't worth watching.
Atria35

Postby blkmage » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:41 am

I would go Trapeze, Ayakashi, Mononoke because I don't think Ayakashi gets really good until the last arc which ties in with Mononoke. At least this way, you'll have finished a good Nakamura show right off the bat.
blkmage

Postby Juliannesan » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:09 pm

[quote="AngelicTotoro (post: 1499496)"]

Dub VS Sub: I see that Julianne suggested the dub, I believe the sub to be best. (I know Kenshin being voiced by a women takes a little getting used to, but I think it really does fit his character.) Plus, you can't miss out on Sanosuke, Saito and Aoshi's japanese voices]

I'd have to disagree with the comment about the episodes after 63.
There are some really good and funny filler episodes in-between that you should watch.

Yes, it does go off of the manga, but I still think it's worth watching.

Also, I think dub is cleaner as far as language is concerned. I think I remember trying to watch it in Japanese, and the biggest turn off to me was the amount of F-bombs used... especially towards the middle of the show.

Anyway, it's up to you. All in all, its one of the best shows ever animated. ^_^
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby AngelicTotoro » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:14 pm

@Julianne: I guess each to his own, I found the anime filler highly annoying. It's not up to us though if Rri watches it. That's something they're gonna have to decide.
(Besides, I'm sure it won't kill Rri to watch the filler. If it barfs them out like it did to me, they could always skip it. =3)

I also think it's a little silly to watch a show dubbed just to avoid swearing, since the violence is the most offending part imo. Again, Rri could just watch the first few episodes dubbed and subbed and then decide for themselves.

Peace~! *_*
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby Juliannesan » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:33 am

AngelicTotoro (post: 1499796) wrote:@Julianne: I guess each to his own, I found the anime filler highly annoying. It's not up to us though if Rri watches it. That's something they're gonna have to decide.
(Besides, I'm sure it won't kill Rri to watch the filler. If it barfs them out like it did to me, they could always skip it. =3)

I also think it's a little silly to watch a show dubbed just to avoid swearing, since the violence is the most offending part imo. Again, Rri could just watch the first few episodes dubbed and subbed and then decide for themselves.

Peace~! *_*

Well, I just want them to be able to look at it from both spectrums.
To me, language is highly offensive and just as bad as violence. I can't tolerate either much, so that's why I was warning them on the heavy amount in the sub. Because if it were me, I would want to know.

The filler won't kill them if they don't mind that it drifts off from the manga if they have never read the manga, either.

I think it bothers more people that have read the actual manga, then those that haven't. (Assuming of course that they haven't read the manga)

But yes, to each their own. I was just trying to leave the possibility open. ^_^;; Because I actually loved at least half of the filler episodes.
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby Maokun » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:46 am

Personally, the only thing I liked of RK's last fillerific episodes was the last ending. Then again, almost every single ED of that series was great. It might be the only long-running series which endings I like much better than the openings.

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby Juliannesan » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:17 pm

Maokun (post: 1499998) wrote:Personally, the only thing I liked of RK's last fillerific episodes was the last ending. Then again, almost every single ED of that series was great. It might be the only long-running series which endings I like much better than the openings.

Oh yes, the endings were great. I loved them all. :D
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby Tyrel » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:54 pm

Hello. Well, it's been a long time since I've visited these boards, but I'm back now out of desperation. I've been looking for a good anime for a while which suits my tastes, and it seems they get harder and harder to find. To make things easier, I will list some of my favorites:

Ergo Proxy
Ghost in the shell: stand alone complex
Kurozuka
Black Lagoon
Baccano!
Monster
Serial Experiments Lain
Death Note

As will be apparent, I have a taste for anime which is a little more on the 'mature' side of the spectrum. Naturally I enjoy various other anime from time to time (from Clannad to when they cry Higurashi to RD​ Sennou​ Chosashitsu) but I am looking for something along the lines of the anime in the list above. Also, I'd prefer if the anime were finished, so that I don't have to get it and encounter a cliffhanger ending with the promise of more to come.

So: well animated, intelligent and with an interesting plot or cast of developing characters. Friends of mine, who enjoy anime-comedy much more than I tend to, have just done a terrible job on recommendations, from Soul Eater to... I'm not even sure of all the others I turned down. I've very nearly given up.

So, please CAA, hear my cry of desperation and somebody help me out!
Tyrel

Postby Tyrel » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:00 pm

Gunslinger girls was also fantastic, and anything action based like that or black lagoon would be appreciated.
Tyrel

Postby Neane » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:07 pm

I recommend Gungrave.
http://www.christiananime.net/reviews_anime.php?display=272

And since you love Lain, you should checkout Boogiepop Phantom.
http://www.christiananime.net/reviews_anime.php?display=171
Neane

Postby Atria35 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:10 pm

[quote="Tyrel (post: 1500999)"]As will be apparent, I have a taste for anime which is a little more on the 'mature' side of the spectrum. Naturally I enjoy various other anime from time to time (from Clannad to when they cry Higurashi to RD​]
Aoi Bungaku (there is a brief but fairly graphic sex scene in the first ep, but definitely dark and mature)
Paranoia Agent
Madoka Magica (this is best when you're familiar with the magical girl genre, but it's dark and mature, surprisingly)
Mushishi
Kara no Kyoukai (also action-oriented)
Rainbow
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo
Ghost Hound
Himitsu: Top Secret
Now and THen, Here and There
Sword of the Stranger (action)
Jigoku Shoujo

EDIT: Can't believe I forgot this one: Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Atria35

Postby Tyrel » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:07 pm

Atria35 (post: 1501007) wrote:Aoi Bungaku (there is a brief but fairly graphic sex scene in the first ep, but definitely dark and mature)
Paranoia Agent
Madoka Magica (this is best when you're familiar with the magical girl genre, but it's dark and mature, surprisingly)
Mushishi
Kara no Kyoukai (also action-oriented)
Rainbow
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo
Ghost Hound
Himitsu: Top Secret
Now and THen, Here and There
Sword of the Stranger (action)
Jigoku Shoujo

EDIT: Can't believe I forgot this one: Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Paranoia Agent - have and it was acceptable.
Sword of the Stranger - also have seen, it was very good
Jigoku Shoujo - Have
Madoka Magica - Recently got and I was very unimpressed. It worries me a little that this passes for mature.
Ghost Hound looks promising, and I am looking into it.

I will definitely look into the others as well.

Thanks a lot for the recommendations. Anybody else?

Edit: Evangelion is a classic, it goes without saying. RX was good as well, but I don't like Mech-anime very much.
Tyrel

Postby Tyrel » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:11 pm

Neane (post: 1501006) wrote:I recommend Gungrave.
http://www.christiananime.net/reviews_anime.php?display=272

And since you love Lain, you should checkout Boogiepop Phantom.
http://www.christiananime.net/reviews_anime.php?display=171

Boogiepop Phantom, I've heard that name tossed around before. I will definitely check it out. Thanks.
Tyrel

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:54 pm

Tyrel (post: 1500999) wrote:, please CAA, hear my cry of desperation and somebody help me out!
The following are mature in that they are best enjoyed by adults, not necessarily because they are dark or contain heavy content (though some may):

Berserk
Casshern Sins
Claymore
Cowboy Bebop
Durarara!!
Eden of the East
Gungrave
Now and Then Here and There
Rainbow
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
The Wings of Honneamise
The entire corpus of Satoshi Kon
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Maokun » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:58 am

Boogiepop Phantom seconded.

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby ich1990 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:12 am

Tyrel (post: 1500999) wrote:So, please CAA, hear my cry of desperation and somebody help me out!

Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal
Comedy (often found in the Sweat Punch compilation)
Ringing Bell of Chirin
Hellsing Ultimate

In that order.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby AngelicTotoro » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:01 pm

Reading a few of these recommendations reminds me that I had been meaning to ask the content of these...

The Wings of Honneamise
Yakushiji Ryouko no Kaiki Jikenbo
Terra e...
The Sky Crawlers

(Btw, a few of these are rated R, are they really even R worthy? I don't really trust MAL's rating system since they think that Macross DYRL is rated R along with KOR I Want to Return to That Day. I mean I think that the anime series for KOR was much worse then the movie content wise and yet they still rate that PG13.)
(Not to mention Gosick is some how rated R. xD And while I know that near the end of the series, Durarara!! does get more worthy of a mature rating, I don't believe it should have an R rating. )

It's thanks to MAL's stupid rating system that I have a hard time showing my parents my list, I don't want them thinking that their daughter who won't want american films that are rated R would watch anime with that kind of content. I wouldn't. =/
AngelicTotoro

Postby Derek_Is_Me » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:16 pm

I My Me! Strawberry Eggs. Is a good series. It has light humor and is pretty cool.
Derek -The Daring Pokemon - A cool, totally awesome Pokemon that uses his power of song, medical skills and powers of cool to make others see things differently. He is not temperamental, but he likes to pull pranks and grins when you fall into his traps. Usually, he styles a fedora and prances around on all fours, he's all black with a white belly.

"Although I look into infinity. I only see the lords eyes, always shining upon my face and smiling in my heart. He will always be with me, no matter where I may go. Always watch over me lord. For I shall be eternal in your light."-Derek.
Derek_Is_Me

Location: Staring at you from your window outside. You have nice tastes in decor.

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews