Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby impact777 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:20 pm

I don't know, if I'm right in this thread. I've just seen the anime Pale Cocoon. Can someone please explain me the end? I didn't get it at all. :(
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
impact777

Postby Tsukuyomi » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:21 pm

@Samurai (was it): Maybe, Record of Lodoss War ^__^? It has that whole hero and fantasy vibe to it ^^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby MightiMidget » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:39 pm

impact777 (post: 1489735) wrote:I don't know, if I'm right in this thread. I've just seen the anime Pale Cocoon. Can someone please explain me the end? I didn't get it at all. :(

[spoiler]If I remember right...the setting is Earth believing they're living deep underground, and the end reveals they're actually living on the moon. He sees this, then the elevator breaks and he plummets to a fade-out (presumably, death). But it could also have been the other way around if I am remembering wrongly. :oops: [/spoiler]
MightiMidget

Postby impact777 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:42 am

Thank you. That makes sense. :)
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
impact777

Postby steenajack » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:17 pm

Could someone please tell me about the content of Fruits basket?

Violence?
Sexual Content/Nudity?
Language?
Religion?
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby Atria35 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:27 pm

steenajack (post: 1490086) wrote:Could someone please tell me about the content of Fruits basket?

Violence?
Sexual Content/Nudity?
Language?
Religion?

We, uh, do have a review section on this site :sweat:
http://www.christiananime.net/reviews_anime.php?display=24

However, I would actually recommend the manga over it- the anime is overall very shallow on character development and there are major plot holes left.
Atria35

Postby steenajack » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:50 pm

Thanks Atria! :D I was aware of the review, I just wanted to double check is all. ^^; Anyway, could someone tell me about the content of Eureka 7? It looks like a cool show, but I wanna make sure.
Also, can anyone give me the scoop on Fractale by any chance?

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby Atria35 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:00 pm

Fractale was pretty bad. I love Nessa, but she could not save the show from the issues the plot had. Aside from that... [spoiler]People die. It's pretty onscreen and while not gorey, it's not the nicest to watch, either. It's they get hit- there's some blood- they fall. there are people killed onscreen quite a few times, constant references are made to men being perverts (“naughty” in the subs)- and that's what all the humor revolves around, too, whether or not the guy has been a pervert. He does end up getting accosted by the washerwomen in order to get his pants off and clean- that's when they first encounter underwear. In one episode Clain wakes up to a pair of knockers in his face, and the lady teases him about what a wild night they had the night before (nothing happened, as it turns out). She says she has a collection of date rape drugs that they could take and have a wild time with. Phryne’s father figure insists that the only way to make sure she’s fit to be the ‘key’ is to see whether she is still pure- she ends up getting into stirrups (if you don’t know what I mean, ask your mother) but is saved before the examination can take place. And there is a scene where Phryne and the girls go swimming naked, though no naughty bits are shown, and Cain does end up seeing Phryne- she's not that selfconsious about her body.[/spoiler]
Atria35

Postby steenajack » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:06 pm

Whew! Thanks for saving me from that train wreck Atria. ^^; I greatly appreciate it....
now, all I need to do is find out about Eureka 7.

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby Stavie » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:13 pm

I was wondering if anyone could give me a description of any questionable material along the lines of a "bad religion" rating for Mushishi. I'm intrigued by the premise of Mushishi, but as I share my Netflix connection with my family I must respect their convictions when it comes to what I stream directly in our home.

Also I have a question regarding an anime I watched when I was younger and have since forgotten the series' name. I know it was a Gundam anime and that the main characters were based on symbolism within a traditional card deck (I remember that specific face card symbols would appear on their hands during fights and such. If anyone could give me the specific name of this series I would greatly appreciate it.
Stavie

Postby Atria35 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:18 pm

Stavie (post: 1491568) wrote:I was wondering if anyone could give me a description of any questionable material along the lines of a "bad religion" rating for Mushishi. I'm intrigued by the premise of Mushishi, but as I share my Netflix connection with my family I must respect their convictions when it comes to what I stream directly in our home.

Also I have a question regarding an anime I watched when I was younger and have since forgotten the series' name. I know it was a Gundam anime and that the main characters were based on symbolism within a traditional card deck (I remember that specific face card symbols would appear on their hands during fights and such. If anyone could give me the specific name of this series I would greatly appreciate it.

Well, Mushishi is all about a guy who deals with spirits called 'Mushi'. He's like an excorcist of sorts- heals people who've been afflicted by them, but they're also a part of nature. I guess the closest analogy would be those Midichlorians from Star Wars. They aren't worshipped, there's no real religion to speak of ever mentioned, it's just that they cause some wierd and occasionally bad things to happen to people.
Atria35

Postby Stavie » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:03 pm

Atria35 (post: 1491569) wrote:Well, Mushishi is all about a guy who deals with spirits called 'Mushi'. He's like an excorcist of sorts- heals people who've been afflicted by them, but they're also a part of nature. I guess the closest analogy would be those Midichlorians from Star Wars. They aren't worshipped, there's no real religion to speak of ever mentioned, it's just that they cause some wierd and occasionally bad things to happen to people.

Thanks.

It sounds pretty tame according to your description so that's good. I just wasn't sure about the nature of the spirits mentioned in the description on Netflix's queue.
Stavie

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:31 am

[quote="steenajack (post: 1491567)"]Whew! Thanks for saving me from that train wreck Atria. ^^]Let's see, Eureka Seven has a little nudity, some offscreen sex between people who aren't married, blood when someone is cut(and a lot of blood when someone is basically stomped into paste by a mecha, and, uh, there's a vaguely Buddhist-like religion in it, if that would bother you.

It's one of my favorite series though, definitely watch it.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Falx » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:03 am

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1491654) wrote:Let's see, Eureka Seven has a little nudity, some offscreen sex between people who aren't married, blood when someone is cut(and a lot of blood when someone is basically stomped into paste by a mecha, and, uh, there's a vaguely Buddhist-like religion in it, if that would bother you.

It's one of my favorite series though, definitely watch it.

The violence isn't pervasive though, only two or three episodes stand out as especially violent.

It also has some surprisingly dark themes, but I agree that there is next to nothing objectionable in it if you are over the age of 13.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:10 am

There's also an explicit denial of the existence of an afterlife. I'm not sure if this is a trait that would bother anyone, but it's in a scene that stands out in my mind, so I figured I'd pass it along.

If anyone's ever reading a book, just avoid looking at the cover.

But yeah, if you can handle the content, E7 is a beautifully done show, especially once you get 9-10 episodes in.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:48 am

Stavie (post: 1491568) wrote:

That would be G Gundam.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby steenajack » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:58 pm

Okay, so there's some nudity in E7.....what KIND of nudity? Is it explicit? Undetailed? Covered tastefully? Fanservice?
And...off-screen sex scenes? Are they tastefully implied? Is there anything....er sensual shown leading up to it? Is it easily fast-forwarded?

(Sorry if all these questions are bothersome, I just like to make absolutely sure before watching something.) ^^;

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby That Dude » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:56 pm

[quote="steenajack (post: 1491710)"]Okay, so there's some nudity in E7.....what KIND of nudity? Is it explicit? Undetailed? Covered tastefully? Fanservice?
And...off-screen sex scenes? Are they tastefully implied? Is there anything....er sensual shown leading up to it? Is it easily fast-forwarded?

(Sorry if all these questions are bothersome, I just like to make absolutely sure before watching something.) ^^]

From what I remember the nudity is undetailed and pretty tastefully done. And the off screen sex is led up to a tiny bit, but tastefully done.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby MasterDias » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:32 pm

From what I remember, the only actual nudity in Eureka 7 is on the cover of a book. But it's like "classical art"-style nudity. It wasn't intended as fanservice.

Other than that, there is one or two bath scenes, but nothing is shown.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby That Dude » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:55 pm

All in all Steena, I would highly recommend Eureka 7. It's definitely higher up on my list of quality anime.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby steenajack » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:44 pm

Alrighty then...I will be looking into it. :3

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:30 pm

For various, convoluted reasons I'm considering watching Natsume Yujincho ("Natsume's Book of Friends", I think?) with my sister, but before I can I need to run the series by Mom--so, can anybody tell me what the content's like, please?
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby blkmage » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:06 pm

Natsume Yuujinchou is very nice in the original sense of the word unless, of course, Shintoism bothers you.
blkmage

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:13 pm

Shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the info! ^^
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:38 pm

I prefer action and good storytelling. If it's funny as well, I'd like it too. I don't like blood and gore or any sex and nudity.

Show's I've watched
I do like Dragonball Z.
And I used to watch Avatar: The Last Airbender.
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”-Oscar Wilde

“Books change us. Books save us. I know this because it happened to me.”Elif Shafak

"Don't stop unbelieving, never give into your unfeelings"-Mabel Pines, Gravity Falls
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby Atria35 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:46 pm

Ferb (post: 1493053) wrote:I prefer action and good storytelling. If it's funny as well, I'd like it too. I don't like blood and gore or any sex and nudity.

Show's I've watched
I do like Dragonball Z.
And I used to watch Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Man, all the best ones I can think of have some blood and gore. The sex and nudity is easy to avoid for action shows.

But I'd recommend other Shounen Jump series like One Piece, YuYu Hakusho, Saint Seiya... Generally, series for younger viewers. If you can handle something more intense than those, then I'd go with Birdy the Mighty: Decode (yes, her outfit looks like it's fanservice bait, but she's never used as fanservice. It's rather like Wonder Woman's outfit in that regard), Gintama (this does have 2 censored male nudity scenes, out of.... 200+ eps), and Katekyo Hitman Reborn!.
Atria35

Postby Hiryu » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:52 am

I'm kinda wondering what you mean by blood and gore if you've watched DBZ and liked it.

Ranma 1/2 is funny and does fit rightly into the action genre. If you can get past the first two episodes or so, which I vaguely recall does have some nudity in it. No implied/explicit sex/genitals though.

Saiyuki is also interesting. No sex/nudity from what I recall.
Hiryu

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:32 pm

Thank you both.

I actually only watched around the early 4 episodes of DBZ (When he was a kid), thus I never saw any gore, just to clarify.
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”-Oscar Wilde

“Books change us. Books save us. I know this because it happened to me.”Elif Shafak

"Don't stop unbelieving, never give into your unfeelings"-Mabel Pines, Gravity Falls
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby MightiMidget » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:12 pm

Saiyuki has no sex/nudity/gore to it. But it has a lot of sexual innuendo (due to one of the characters specifically), and the first few episodes have a lot of language in the dub (no f-words). I've been told the sub is quite a bit worse in terms of swearing, but I've only watch Saiyuki Reload: Burial in sub (not available dubbed), so...

It is very fun if you can get past/don't mind the crassness. I love Saiyuki. :) Very, very silly fun. Sarcastic. Dry. Heehee.
MightiMidget

Postby Crossfire » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:49 pm

Hey, anybody know a good series that invloves aircraft, or anything militaristic in general? I've watched Area 88, Code Geass, and Full Metal Panic to name a few, and loved all of them.
Crossfire

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews