Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:25 pm

All right guys, I thought it would be a while before I posted in this thread again given the large number of shows I have planned to watch, but it looks like I'm going to need something for my anime club I've been trying to run. I decided that I'd like to see stuff I haven't seen before in there, and I got a request for another comedy. MAL. The kind of show I'm looking for is either unlicensed or streaming, is in the eleven to fourteen episodes span, and something like, say, Kannagi or Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei(actually, Zetsubo would have been my choice if I hadn't already been watching it).

Thanks a lot!
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:06 pm

^ I know about a few series similar to Kannagi. Too bad none of them are any good >.>"

Maaaybe Minami-ke or Otome Youkai Zakuro

As for Sensei, while I haven't seen it, I'm aware of what it's about and the general humor and feel. Arakawa Under the Bridge might interest you.
Atria35

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:03 pm

Seeing as how I'm not all that familiar with comedies, I feel it's only right that I recommend one!

It's not that much like Zetsubo, but Level E is very very funny. Any of your group that either (a) is a gamer or (b) has seen Power Rangers will get big laughs out of a pretty big chunk of the show. I enjoyed it a lot.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby AngelicTotoro » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:25 pm

Hi guys, I was going though my list of possible animes so I have a few I need to ask about.

Myself; Yourself
Juuni Kokki
Seirei no Moribito
Argento Soma
Hime-chan no Ribbon
History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Kekkaishi
Magic Knight Rayearth
Pandora Hearts
True Tears
Turn A Gundam

*phew* I know thats a lot, I'm actually not sure about a few of these... but I would just like to know the content of all of them, just in case.
Thanks!
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby Darth_Kirby » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:09 pm

[quote="AngelicTotoro (post: 1482994)"]Hi guys, I was going though my list of possible animes so I have a few I need to ask about.

Myself]

'Myself; Yourself' Dealt with some heavy issues but was a very good show. Very moving. The show is at worst about PG-13, but I think it's more PG.

Just started Magic Knight Rayearth in the manga version and I think it's pretty good so far. Haven't seen it all the way though, but there's nothing in there that you wouldn't see in Card Captors. It's a CLAMP manga.

'Pandora Hearts': I have some mixed feelings about this one. I think it starts out great, but it gets dicey later on. There is some violence that is excessive at times, especially if you read the manga version. It has an occult feel to some of the magic especially in the Abyss.
Join the Darth side... No really! Join! The pension plan is great and they match all your 401K's!! XD

[color="Cyan"]True freedom is the ability to do what you know is right without fear of persecution.[/color]

[color="Lime"]I finally understand that justice is not born out of the desire for revenge or hatred, but it is born out of love for one’s fellow man.[/color]

Darth_Kirby (post: 1481540) wrote:Ah, the beast of terminology... how many more arguments will you start... XP
Darth_Kirby

Postby MasterDias » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:44 pm

[quote="AngelicTotoro (post: 1482994)"]Hi guys, I was going though my list of possible animes so I have a few I need to ask about.

Myself]

Pandora Hearts, Magic Knight Rayearth, Kekkaishi, Seirei no Moribito, and Juuni Kokki (which is...uh...better knows as The Twelve Kingdoms) are all fantasy/supernatural series of one variety or another. I don't consider any of them occult-ish but your mileage may vary I guess.

History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi has mild fanservice. I haven't seen much of the anime. Mostly going off my memory of the manga.

Turn A Gundam has a few scenes of random nudity, but I don't remember anything else worth mentioning. This is an interesting choice if you haven't ever seen a Gundam series. What got your interest in it?
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby MightiMidget » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:18 am

Pandora Hearts does have an occult feel. There is a cult surrounding the Abyss which is more than a little eerie. One character gets his eye ripped out (shown as a fade-red-screen, and later on just bloodied hair covering where his eye was). Characters are stabbed, sliced across the chest. The aftermath of one character being stabbed by scissors is shown (a corpse with open eyes, and just a bloodied body/in blood). There was a slaughter, and bloodied bodies are shown around at the location. It is fairly violent and brutal, however the gore is never particularly detailed or super-well done? Generally, it is not graphic at all. Pandora Hearts' "strong" point is in its creepy atmosphere instead of portraying overthetop gore, necessarily. Granted, what is gory changes from person to person. However, generally it's a a distinct line of red in certain places instead of it being splashed all over the place (which is what gets to me anyways).

Characters are overshadowed/possessed (I personally think "overshadowed" is a better term in this case) now and then by members of said Abyss cult. What else...oh yes, the chains require a contract with a human to be in the real world.

Dolls. The dolls are like possessed little creatures, possessed by whom? I don't know, I don't think literal possession, but that's the vibe given. If you find the whole "creepy dolls" thing traumatic? Skip Pandora Hearts.

Sexual content: there is one scene in the anime where everyone but Break and Oz are totally wasted (though Break acts kind of drunk most of the time anyways so...), and Alice is trying to take her clothes off. That is the only area where I remember anything risque, however. And it's kind of just there. Alice seals her contract with a kiss.

Oh, yes. Alice is shown nude in the ending? and maybe opening credits. Sensitive areas are not shown--either being covered up by something else, or her position strategically shielding anything private.

Language is mild, if I remember right. There may have been a few uses of the s-word in the sub I used? However, that will probably depend on which fansubber you use--as I do not believe the anime is licensed.

It's been a while since I've seen it, so people can correct me if I'm wrong. =)
MightiMidget

Postby AngelicTotoro » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:54 am

Okay, that means Myself; Yourself is a yes and Pandora Hearts is a no.

@MasterDias: I dunno, I guess it's just because one of my relatives suggested it to me.
Also magic and supernatural isn't that bad as long as there isn't any witchcraft, or blasphemy in it.

Still need to know about:

Juuni Kokki
Seirei no Moribito
Argento Soma
Hime-chan no Ribbon
Kekkaishi
True Tears

Thanks for replying!
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby Atria35 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:43 am

Seirei no Moribito:

I love it, think it's a great series, and for the most part it's a PG- level where Balsa and the Prince are learning to live and deal with eachother while his life is at risk. Most of the episodes are very slice-of-life, learning to live in a small village and be a kid.
[spoiler]The whole story is about a prince that carries the 'egg' of a water spirit that died within him, and must get it to a special lake before the egg dies and the land dries out. The water spirit was from another dimention, and the boy is able to see into it because he carries the egg. Creatures from the other dimention do come after him at one point. One woman is kind of a 'medicine woman'- i.e. is knowledgeable about the stories and speaks to some of the creatures, but mainly knows about medicine and lore.

However, actually dealing with the supernatural happens in only about half the episodes, maybe less.

You do see some fighting, but usually it ends up that no one is hurt, or it's 'line of red across the clothing' that signifies being hurt (I liken it to Mulan's wound in, well, Mulan). There is only one episode where there's actually death, and then it's 'hit them, there's some blood, and they go offscreen'. You might see the bodies in the snow after, but it's brief.

Very, very little language- I don't remember any swearing at all, actually.

One character nearly goes into a marriage when she's 12- keeping in mind that this does take place in what we would call the Middle Ages, that wasn't uncommon during that time. It doesn't actually take place, though. The prince does mention in a short scene near the end of the anime that the guy that likes Balsa, his protector, should just sleep with her and have a family if he wants to be with her (the guy explains that's not the way it goes, and he couldn't tie her down like that just yet).[/spoiler]
Atria35

Postby rocklobster » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:21 am

Having just finished Kekkaishi, I have to say it's a great shonen series. It does have ghosts and such in it, but there's no religious implications. The two heroes in the story have a great chemistry and it's just plain fun to watch. I'd give it a PG. It really doesn't belong on Adult Swim, as I'd probably let a little kid watch it.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Kaori » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:47 am

Juuni Kokki: This is an excellent series, with strong characterization, a fascinating world, and good artwork and music. You do have to stick with it for at least the first four episodes or so, because the main character's personality is not very appealing in the beginning. However, the difficulties that she goes through bring out all the darkness and evil in her nature . . . and then as she works through those things, her personality undergoes a dramatic change for the better. After the first few episodes, she's a very strong character with a lot of depth, but there are some times in the beginning when it's a bit hard to put up with her.

As far as content goes, it's mainly violence--some of the fights with monsters are a bit bloody. The monsters are referred to as youma, which might or might not be translated as demons (I can't recall). But they are basically animal-like monsters. There is no romance, and the only thing even remotely approaching sexual content is a scene were

[spoiler]a woman tries to sell Youko to a brothel (but Youko figures it out and escapes).[/spoiler]

But the fact that the place is a brothel is mainly implied rather than stated directly, IIRC, and you don't see anything, so it's not offensive unless you are offended by the fact that brothels do exist in that world.

Because this anime is based on a series of light novels, and the anime only covers some of the novels, not all of them, it's split up into several different story arcs. The story arc having to do with Youko and her journey to become queen of Kei comes to a very satisfying conclusion (in episode 45, I believe), but then there's one other arc centering around a different character, and that one leaves off in the middle without coming to any sort of resolution. This is one of the very few unfortunate things about the anime; overall, I would definitely recommend it.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby AngelicTotoro » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:21 pm

Okay, I guess I'll just check all three out and see if they really catch my interest then, thanks you guys!

Still need to know about:
Argento Soma
Hime-chan no Ribbon
True Tears

:forehead:

Ah, I would also like to add Otome Youkai Zakuro and Planetes.
Thanks!
AngelicTotoro

Postby AngelicTotoro » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:22 pm

Okay, so I've decided against OYZ and TT. Both of them are just not for me. :sweat:

However I would like to know about the content in;

Argento Soma
Hime-chan no Ribbon
PlanetES

Thanks for responding! :poke:
AngelicTotoro

Postby Atria35 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:53 pm

CAA has a review for Planetes-
http://www.christiananime.net/reviews_anime.php?display=205

Good luck finding anyone who's seen Hime-chan's Ribbon. Even on MAL, less than 500 people have watched it. Looks like your typical magical girl.
Atria35

Postby AngelicTotoro » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:20 pm

Ah thank you very much! ^^ Planetes looks really good so its going on my watch list.
I guess I'll have to just watch the first episode of Hime-chans ribbon and see what I think...

I still need to know about Argento Soma.

Thanks for your help guys! :thumb:
AngelicTotoro

Postby Atria35 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:41 pm

AngelicTotoro (post: 1483487) wrote:I still need to know about Argento Soma.

Thanks for your help guys! :thumb:

Okay, went ahead and looked through a few reviews... 1) Very few people have seen this one. Kinda like Hime-chan's Ribbon. 2) It's also not considered a good series among those who have seen it.

And most people liken it to NGE, but not as good.

Remembered a few titles I'd meant to recommend to you earlier-
Minami-ke- slice-of-life about three sisters without parents. It does deal with some issues about being girls (a talk about panties and bras) some about raising a kid (they are flabberghasted when the youngest asks about some innuendo on the tv before they can change the channel), and there is one boy who ends up cross-dressing, and sorta liking it- at least picking out the clothes.

Rideback- a girl finds her dreams of dancing dashed, and has to find her own niche in life away from her mother's shadow. Implied violence/death of one character.
Atria35

Postby AngelicTotoro » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:50 pm

I'll be sure to check both of those out, thanks! :D
I wasn't that interested in argento soma anyway, so it's cool. ^^;
Thanks again!
AngelicTotoro

Postby Masquerade1412 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:36 pm

I may sound like the stereotypical newbie, but may I please request the forum's assistance?
I haven't watched too many anime since I started a while back.
DBZ got me started and I followed Pokemon for YEARS...not anymore though.
I have been using Hulu for most of my anime, but I can't tell which are good and which...aren't.:sweat:

Anime I have watched (and like!)
Tsubasa: Resevior Chronicles (Plus the OVAs!)
xxxHolic(well I watched Tsubasa...)
Ouran High School Host Club
Clannad
(so far my favorite)
Fruits Basket
Romeo X Juliet

and...that's about it!
If this will help...I like action/comedies with a tinge of romance.
(I prefer that there be at least SOME romance...but not ENTIRELY romance centered...EX. Clannad: because it saved the romance for the last 3 episodes! :grin:)

Please help in anyway possible!

Signed,

Mr. Masq
Sincerely,
The Last Wizard of the Century
Masquerade1412

Postby Atria35 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:44 pm

Masquerade1412 (post: 1483985) wrote:I may sound like the stereotypical newbie, but may I please request the forum's assistance?
I haven't watched too many anime since I started a while back.
DBZ got me started and I followed Pokemon for YEARS...not anymore though.
I have been using Hulu for most of my anime, but I can't tell which are good and which...aren't.:sweat:

Anime I have watched (and like!)
Tsubasa: Resevior Chronicles (Plus the OVAs!)
xxxHolic(well I watched Tsubasa...)
Ouran High School Host Club
Clannad
(so far my favorite)
Fruits Basket
Romeo X Juliet

and...that's about it!
If this will help...I like action/comedies with a tinge of romance.
(I prefer that there be at least SOME romance...but not ENTIRELY romance centered...EX. Clannad: because it saved the romance for the last 3 episodes! :grin:)

Please help in anyway possible!

Signed,

Mr. Masq

First off, you need to watch Clannad ~Afterstory~ , it's the second season.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is great for that, even though Yoko is very fanservice-y she's an amazing character, a girl you rarely see.

Birdy the Mighty: Decode- Mostly action, a hint of romance, and while Birdy looks like it would be full of fanservice, it's not. Barely a hint.

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood- it was brought up that the main does establish himself as an aetheist in the frst ep, but that does change, and it's overall an excelent show.
Atria35

Postby MightiMidget » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:02 pm

Since you liked Ouran, I would suggest The World God Only Knows because it is also a parody. You can watch it on crunchyroll.com legally. episode 3? I think has a bit of fanservice in the first season, however. And do not look for depth. It isn't there.

Black Cat is a cheesy, fun action-comedy. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but it's too cheesy for some people. Also, I don't think there is any romance in it. At all. Except for Jenos' insincere flirting. Rinslet is a bit of a fanservicey character with her outfits. <-- Last I knew was on Hulu.

Air is like Clannad, but weaker. The romance is kind of weird, but left to the ending as far as I gathered. Again, last I knew, but it was on funimation's website to watch...

Otome Youkai Zakuro is action-comedy, sort of. It kind of falls into a weird genre of historical, action, comedy and romance. Also on crunchyroll.com.

If you can handle gore and a fair bit of brutal violence (most of it is against a night backdrop, but still...) Baccano! is of the black comedy variety. Set in the 1930s with characters duking it out who are immortal--this leads to a plethora of doom-laden pseudo-demises. Characters can be shot, ground up on the railroad tracks, stabbed...and they just piece themselves back together. It is excellent if you can get past the gore. Also on Hulu.

Other "adaptions with genre and story twists" (like RomeoxJuliet) are:

Gankutsuou (Count of Monte Cristo) -- personally, I found this to end terribly to the point I was fuming. However I think I am pretty much alone in my conclusion of this. :) It's beautiful to look at, however. on hulu. :) (last I knew! my info might be out of date)

Pandora Hearts -- this you'd have to find illegally somewhere--it isn't licensed. It's more "inspired by" Alice in Wonderland than adapted. Very gothic and eerie. Though another weak ending.
MightiMidget

Postby Atria35 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:47 am

pawan123 (post: 1484031) wrote:Anyone have any suggestions for me?

I'm mostly interested in Manga, except for a few rare exceptions.

There's a manga section just below the anime section- I recommend asking there. You also should write a few titles that you have liked, so we can recommend others that are similar.
Atria35

Postby Masquerade1412 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:46 am

*bows*
Thank you, Atria35 and MighiMidget.
I will have some interesting times ahead!
(By the way, Atria....Can you help me find ~After Story~?....I have been anticipating it for months!)
Masquerade1412

Postby Maokun » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:44 am

Masquerade, if you liked Tsubasa, maybe you'll enjoy Card Captor Sakura too?
Maokun

Postby MomentOfInertia » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:50 am

MightiMidget (post: 1483993) wrote:If you can handle gore and a fair bit of brutal violence (most of it is against a night backdrop, but still...) Baccano! is of the black comedy variety. Set in the 1930s with characters duking it out who are immortal--this leads to a plethora of doom-laden pseudo-demises. Characters can be shot, ground up on the railroad tracks, stabbed...and they just piece themselves back together. It is excellent if you can get past the gore. Also on Hulu.

All but the first two episodes of Baccano! have been pulled as of last week.
I was just getting to it.:(
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Atria35 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:32 pm

MomentOfInertia (post: 1484089) wrote:All but the first two episodes of Baccano! have been pulled as of last week.
I was just getting to it.:(

What are you talking about? They have the entire series on Hulu. I just checked today.
Atria35

Postby MomentOfInertia » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:37 pm

Atria35 (post: 1484173) wrote:What are you talking about? They have the entire series on Hulu.

Okay my bad. Hulu still has all of it. Funimation only has the first two episodes. I assumed when Fuimation pulled theirs Hulu would have too.

Hey, Hulu still has Soul Eater too! Cool now I can watch the rest of it:cool:
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby AngelicTotoro » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:01 pm

I was browsing MAL and I found a couple of shows that I'd like to ask about if it's alright. :brow:

Senjou no Valkyria
Tekkaman Blade

I know both of them are a bit different then the other, I can be so random with my interests sometimes. :hits_self

Thanks for the help!
AngelicTotoro

Postby Atria35 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:24 pm

AngelicTotoro (post: 1484725) wrote:I was browsing MAL and I found a couple of shows that I'd like to ask about if it's alright. :brow:

Senjou no Valkyria
Tekkaman Blade

I know both of them are a bit different then the other, I can be so random with my interests sometimes. :hits_self

Thanks for the help!

Valkyrie Chronicles..... Okay, I know a lot of people like it (and it is child-friendly the way Erin was), but I found the characters insufferably idiotic.
Atria35

Postby AngelicTotoro » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:52 pm

Really? Idiotic? xD
Do you think if I give the first couple of episodes a go, I'll get a taste of how stupid they are? (I might not find them to be idiots either... you never know. 00)
AngelicTotoro

Postby Atria35 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:54 pm

AngelicTotoro (post: 1484735) wrote:Really? Idiotic? xD
Do you think if I give the first couple of episodes a go, I'll get a taste of how stupid they are? (I might not find them to be idiots either... you never know. 00)

I don't know- as said, a lot of people think it's a good anime. My bro and I watched the first three eps for the lulz (and oh yes, they were really dumb in those episodes), and then moved on with our lives.
Atria35

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews