Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Atria35 » Wed May 25, 2011 11:32 am

Ouran is fabulous. Do NOT let it fool you.

After that, I'd go with Bamboo Blade. I'm personally a Nabari fan, but don't know if it's for you, and I've heard great things about Heroic Age.
Atria35

Postby MightiMidget » Wed May 25, 2011 1:05 pm

Ouran is hilarious because it makes fun of the shoujo genre. However, the guys are actually fully-fleshed out characters and the one girl character is very "whatever" to it all. xD So, although it is "female fan-service" in one sense? It's all very, very tongue-in-cheek.

Oh, and I also enjoyed Nabari? But it's kind of weird. It is extremely angsty. So if angst played seriously is not your cup of tea? Probably...don't bother... (unless you can find it funny)
MightiMidget

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Wed May 25, 2011 3:15 pm

Ouran is fantastic and Bamboo Blade is pretty fun, just to reinforce what everyone else is saying.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby samurai10 » Wed May 25, 2011 8:50 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the recommendations. :)

Now I need something for me. XD

First of all, I want something that's got action! and adventure! (Romance is okay, especially since I regard it as extremely extremely funny, but if possible, no s*x**l content ^^/)

I've loved FMA: Brotherhood, Monster, Death Note, Soul Eater, and Scrapped Princess. I think Reborn! is really weird, and I don't wanna watch it any more. XD I'd prefer something with over 20 episodes if possible too. I don't like animes with less than that amount of episodes, because they're so short. I like Code Geass for the first half, but during the second half, I started growing bored. Shugo Chara was extremely cute, and I liked it, but it's not good enough to get on my top five favorite anime list. XD

Any suggestions would be quite welcome. Thanks in advance! ^_^
"I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia." ~The Silver Chair

"You can close your eyes to the things you don't want to see, but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel." ~Johnny Depp

"MOES! Sign up and sig down!"

[color="Red"]@)[/color][color="SeaGreen"]}~`,~ [/color]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Sami-The warrior pokemon

This pokemon is stout in stature, but extremely loyal. it's head and ears make the shape of a samurai helmet. the scales from said helmet can be pulled out and used as kunai.
samurai10

Location: You're crazy if you think I'll tell you where I live.

Postby Maokun » Wed May 25, 2011 9:27 pm

MightiMidget (post: 1481157) wrote:Ouran is hilarious because it makes fun of the shoujo genre. However, the guys are actually fully-fleshed out characters and the one girl character is very "whatever" to it all. xD So, although it is "female fan-service" in one sense? It's all very, very tongue-in-cheek.

Oh, and I also enjoyed Nabari? But it's kind of weird. It is extremely angsty. So if angst played seriously is not your cup of tea? Probably...don't bother... (unless you can find it funny)

Ah ok, this dissipates my doubts. OHC is it, then! Also, I keep hearing encountered opinions on Nabari... but what in the world is it about? (I know I could just wikipedia the plot synopsis but I prefer the views of the people around here. Also, thanks to everyone that chipped in!

@Samurai10: what about One Piece? That one has more than 20 episodes ;)
Maokun

Postby Atria35 » Wed May 25, 2011 9:32 pm

Maokun (post: 1481262) wrote:Ah ok, this dissipates my doubts. OHC is it, then! Also, I keep hearing encountered opinions on Nabari... but what in the world is it about? (I know I could just wikipedia the plot synopsis but I prefer the views of the people around here. Also, thanks to everyone that chipped in!

It's aout a boy who discovers that [spoiler]he has a sacred book of ninja techniques inside of him. Kinda like Naruto has the Kyuubei. And he's drawn into the world of ninjas. You have different villages fighting over him and his power. Except they must also somehow blend into the modern world.[/spoiler]

It has comedy, a lot of action, a lot of drama, too. Some people think it has shounen-ai vibes but I never found it any stronger than Naruto and Sasuke's vibes, really.
Atria35

Postby Seto_Sora » Thu May 26, 2011 12:49 am

samurai10 (post: 1481259) wrote:Hey guys, thanks for the recommendations. :)

Now I need something for me. XD

First of all, I want something that's got action! and adventure! (Romance is okay, especially since I regard it as extremely extremely funny, but if possible, no s*x**l content ^^/)

I've loved FMA: Brotherhood, Monster, Death Note, Soul Eater, and Scrapped Princess. I think Reborn! is really weird, and I don't wanna watch it any more. XD I'd prefer something with over 20 episodes if possible too. I don't like animes with less than that amount of episodes, because they're so short. I like Code Geass for the first half, but during the second half, I started growing bored. Shugo Chara was extremely cute, and I liked it, but it's not good enough to get on my top five favorite anime list. XD

Any suggestions would be quite welcome. Thanks in advance! ^_^

Have you watched TriGun yet? Other than that, you might try Tiger and Bunny which is airing new episodes on Hulu every week. As strange the name, its actually about super heroes. Also, C is interesting. New episodes are on Funimation every week. I don't know where these guys are going, I just started watching them myself. Another one you may like is Darker Than Black. It is a little slow at the start, but you will really like it after Hai gets around to being awesome. Those are my thoughts. :D

SDG
This

Seto_Sora

Postby Maokun » Thu May 26, 2011 10:04 am

Atria35 (post: 1481263) wrote:It's aout a boy who discovers that [spoiler]he has a sacred book of ninja techniques inside of him. Kinda like Naruto has the Kyuubei. And he's drawn into the world of ninjas. You have different villages fighting over him and his power. Except they must also somehow blend into the modern world.[/spoiler]

It has comedy, a lot of action, a lot of drama, too. Some people think it has shounen-ai vibes but I never found it any stronger than Naruto and Sasuke's vibes, really.

Thanks. I think i'll give it a go, sounds derivative but I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff.

Oh and I just remembered that in the library they also got this series "Wallflower". Thoughts on it?
Maokun

Postby MightiMidget » Thu May 26, 2011 11:07 am

Wallflower...*cringe* Now I was watching it in dub (what Hulu had), but I got two episodes in before finally giving up on it. It's very screechy. It reminded me of Seto no Hanayome--another thing I couldn't stand. I believe if it were not so screechy, it could be very funny indeed though...maybe. Not sure. :oops:
MightiMidget

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Thu May 26, 2011 3:05 pm

Maokun (post: 1481329) wrote:Thanks. I think i'll give it a go, sounds derivative but I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff.

Oh and I just remembered that in the library they also got this series "Wallflower". Thoughts on it?
I haven't seen Wallflower personally, but I have a friend who really liked it. Other stuff she really liked include Cowboy Bebop, Gurren Lagann, Ouran, and Haruhi for comparison, so I think her tastes are pretty good.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Maokun » Thu May 26, 2011 9:44 pm

Well, that there is like half my top list, so I guess I should enjoy it too. Hopefully the original language is not so screechy.
Maokun

Postby AngelicTotoro » Mon May 30, 2011 3:20 pm

I'd like to know the content of 'The Familiar of Zero'.
Thanks.
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby Darth_Kirby » Mon May 30, 2011 9:15 pm

AngelicTotoro (post: 1481960) wrote:I'd like to know the content of 'The Familiar of Zero'.
Thanks.

Well, it can be a little suggestive at times. But it's almost always for comedy purposes. If you don't like the harem genre you might get very annoyed with it at times. But if the harem genre doesn't really annoy you than you'll be drawn in by it's deep fantasy story line and there are some genuinely romantic moments in the story that felt real enough to make this guy bust a tear or two. :P

There's also some violence, but nothing remotely serious/bad. If there is a death it's usually very clean or off screen.
Join the Darth side... No really! Join! The pension plan is great and they match all your 401K's!! XD

[color="Cyan"]True freedom is the ability to do what you know is right without fear of persecution.[/color]

[color="Lime"]I finally understand that justice is not born out of the desire for revenge or hatred, but it is born out of love for one’s fellow man.[/color]

Darth_Kirby (post: 1481540) wrote:Ah, the beast of terminology... how many more arguments will you start... XP
Darth_Kirby

Postby AngelicTotoro » Mon May 30, 2011 9:46 pm

Darth_Kirby (post: 1482018) wrote:Well, it can be a little suggestive at times. But it's almost always for comedy purposes. If you don't like the harem genre you might get very annoyed with it at times. But if the harem genre doesn't really annoy you than you'll be drawn in by it's deep fantasy story line and there are some genuinely romantic moments in the story that felt real enough to make this guy bust a tear or two. :P

There's also some violence, but nothing remotely serious/bad. If there is a death it's usually very clean or off screen.

I don't really mind harems, the only time i don't like them is when nothing is resolved. Kinda of like La corda d'oro... :shake:

I know one of the main topics of the show is magic and I don't really mind that... Except, there aren't any incantations or witchcraft, is there?
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby Darth_Kirby » Mon May 30, 2011 9:54 pm

AngelicTotoro (post: 1482025) wrote:I don't really mind harems, the only time i don't like them is when nothing is resolved. Kinda of like La corda d'oro... :shake:

I know one of the main topics of the show is magic and I don't really mind that... Except, there aren't any incantations or witchcraft, is there?

Well, there are plenty of incantations, but I don't remember anything dark about the incantations. The incantations are more, "say this and this happens!" The magic is everywhere in the show, but one of the main characters is somewhat of a scientist despite being a magic teacher. There's also the fact that the main character is from earth, so he knows and teaches a thing or two about technology in the story to the other characters. Again there's not really any magic in the show that's dark enough to raise concern. The only thing that may be dark at times about the magic is how the villains choose to abuse it, and even then it's a case of "the user is evil, not the tool."
Join the Darth side... No really! Join! The pension plan is great and they match all your 401K's!! XD

[color="Cyan"]True freedom is the ability to do what you know is right without fear of persecution.[/color]

[color="Lime"]I finally understand that justice is not born out of the desire for revenge or hatred, but it is born out of love for one’s fellow man.[/color]

Darth_Kirby (post: 1481540) wrote:Ah, the beast of terminology... how many more arguments will you start... XP
Darth_Kirby

Postby solidray2002 » Tue May 31, 2011 8:35 am

These seem to be all very good suggestions. I really enjoyed FMA, Death note, Black butler and Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom
"To live is Christ, to die is gain" Philippians 1:21
solidray2002

Postby AngelicTotoro » Tue May 31, 2011 3:50 pm

Darth_Kirby (post: 1482029) wrote:Well, there are plenty of incantations, but I don't remember anything dark about the incantations. The incantations are more, "say this and this happens!" The magic is everywhere in the show, but one of the main characters is somewhat of a scientist despite being a magic teacher. There's also the fact that the main character is from earth, so he knows and teaches a thing or two about technology in the story to the other characters. Again there's not really any magic in the show that's dark enough to raise concern. The only thing that may be dark at times about the magic is how the villains choose to abuse it, and even then it's a case of "the user is evil, not the tool."

Ah, I see. Thank you very much for your help! :jump:
I'll just watch the first couple of episodes and then decide if I'm interested or not.
Thanks again!
AngelicTotoro

Postby Darth_Kirby » Tue May 31, 2011 9:43 pm

AngelicTotoro (post: 1482102) wrote:Ah, I see. Thank you very much for your help! :jump:
I'll just watch the first couple of episodes and then decide if I'm interested or not.
Thanks again!

your welcome. :)

Darth_Kirby

Postby AngelicTotoro » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:17 am

Okay, so one of my brothers suggested 'Library War' to me.
I looked at it and it really caught my interest.
So could someone please tell me the content of the show?
Oh, and if the ending is good.
Thanks ahead of time!
(I know I just asked a question, but I only heard about this show like an hour ago.)
AngelicTotoro

Postby Darth_Kirby » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:23 am

AngelicTotoro (post: 1482164) wrote:Okay, so one of my brothers suggested 'Library War' to me.
I looked at it and it really caught my interest.
So could someone please tell me the content of the show?
Oh, and if the ending is good.
Thanks ahead of time!
(I know I just asked a question, but I only heard about this show like an hour ago.)

wow... someone likes the anime I like!! lol

Well, Library Wars is a very good series. Violence is not that much of an issue and there is no other content that might raise concern about the series. The ending is good, but I think the series ended way too soon. They could've made it longer. But it's better to end good than to outstay your welcome. :) There may be a bit of language in the show, but I don't recall any specific incident.

P.S. If you can handle most shounen manga you can handle Library Wars. A very unique series.

Darth_Kirby

Postby AngelicTotoro » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:36 am

Really? I keep asking about anime you like? xD Thats actually kind of cool.
Anyhow, thanks! Library Wars in definitely going on my watch list!
(Not to mention my manga read list. ;D)

Oh and while I'm at it, can anyone here tell me about the content of Gosick?
Thats another one I've been looking at.
AngelicTotoro

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:40 am

AngelicTotoro (post: 1482167) wrote:Oh and while I'm at it, can anyone here tell me about the content of Gosick?
Thats another one I've been looking at.

Gosick- they are murder mysteries (usually) so you do see the dead body and some blood. Nothing really graphic- think Detective Conan. However, for one of the story arcs children are involved.

Victorique uses her 'wellspring of knowledge' to solve crimes, which is just deductive and inductive reasoning/thinking a la Sherlock Holmes and his bro.

Some of the crimes appear to be supernatural... like in Detective Conan... but aren't. There is one crime that takes place in a rural village, they do celebrate a pagan holiday, and during it, one person apparently channels the spirits of the ancestors to tell fortunes. It isn't really questioned. However, this only happens during one story arc- the rest of them, the supernatural is taken to be false and obviously covering up something.

Language is rare- I only remember 2 instances of the d-word being used out of the 15 episodes I've seen.
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:15 am

[quote="AngelicTotoro (post: 1482167)"]Really? I keep asking about anime you like? xD Thats actually kind of cool.
Anyhow, thanks! Library Wars in definitely going on my watch list!
(Not to mention my manga read list. ]Library War is one of my favorite series ever and you should totally watch it and put everything else on-hold for it.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby AngelicTotoro » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:49 pm

@ Atria35: Well, I love Detective Conan and actually like the fact that they show the body/blood. So that's fine with me. Also as long as it's only one arc that has something questionable, I'll put Gosick on my list.
Thanks!

@Mr.hatnclogs: You think so? Well, actually I just finished Lovely Complex and was trying to figure out which show to watch next, so I guess this means I'll be watching Library War tonight! xD
Thank you for your imput!
AngelicTotoro

Postby Mouse2010 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:18 pm

Not that I need more anime on my to-be-watched list, but does anyone know if Library War is available legally in the US? Anything with "library" in the title sounds intriguing to a bibliophile, and I'd be willing to buy it if I could find it, but it doesn't seem to be distributed here.
Mouse2010

Postby Atria35 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:35 pm

Mouse2010 (post: 1482694) wrote:Not that I need more anime on my to-be-watched list, but does anyone know if Library War is available legally in the US? Anything with "library" in the title sounds intriguing to a bibliophile, and I'd be willing to buy it if I could find it, but it doesn't seem to be distributed here.

No, I'm sorry to say that it isn't.
Atria35

Postby jsav777 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:03 pm

hey guys I'd like the content on a some anime:
MAR
Le Chevalier D'Eon
X
Needless
Thanks!
jsav777

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:19 pm

Le Chev- you have
[spoiler] A little language- it's actually quite rare. I don't remember anything worse than the d-word.

Violence- someone was murdered, there are zombies, you do see people die. It's nothing you wouldn't see in a PG-13 action film, though.

Sexual content- Nothing.

Religion- The main lead is occasinally posessed by his sister's ghost. There's some telling of the future. There's a spirit of a murdered child that hangs around a skull (and is talked to). A seance is performed- the only thing that happens is that candles are lit. There are zombies that are forced to do magician's dirty work. And passages from the Bible can be used to influence and perform spells- they give holy power to some people, though it is used for good and evil.

If you do decide to watch it, it is really confusing and very political. Best to be marathoned.[/spoiler]

Needless- This one is just considered terrible. I mean, maybe not content wise, but just a terrible show.

MAR- I've only read the manga, but nothing in it is any worse than Naruto. Except for one scene in the manga, where [spoiler]a girl's dress is ripped and her breast shows. I don't know whether it was censored in the anime, but it was a *very* brief scene in the manga[/spoiler]
Atria35

Postby jsav777 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:34 pm

Wow fast reply, thanks a lot. Oh, one more thing. Do you know anything kind of like Clanaad or Negima, preferably dubbed. I really enjoyed both of those. Thanks!
jsav777

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:40 pm

jsav777 (post: 1482911) wrote:Wow fast reply, thanks a lot. Oh, one more thing. Do you know anything kind of like Clanaad or Negima, preferably dubbed. I really enjoyed both of those. Thanks!

Similar to Clannad- Kanon, the 2006 version, was done by the same company. Same for Air. I enjoyed Kanon a lot. It was fabulous. You might also enjoy 5 Centimeters Per Second, Ef- A Tale of Memories (not dubbed, sorry!), Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora (also not dubbed!).

I have never seen Negima, but I've heard Baka to Test is like it. Those aren't my style anime, though.
Atria35

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews