Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Nate » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:39 pm

Yes it's detailed. And sorry, can't help ya with the TV series. I watched like...the first DVD and didn't bother watching more after that. XD

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby AngelicTotoro » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:44 pm

Then I'll just stick with old episodes of power rangers. xD
And it's okay. Thanks for your help!

Sorry for posting this so often, but I don't want anyone to miss this.
Need to know about;

Ah! My Goddess.
Lost Universe.
His and Her Circumstances.
Kimikiss Pure Rouge. (as asked before, how fanservicey?)
Gakuen Alice.
Bamboo Blade. (mostly safe means... what?)
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby That Dude » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:57 pm

AngelicTotoro (post: 1457656) wrote:His and Her Circumstances.

Some fanservice, nothing really bad at all. The main objectionable content is that the couple has premarital sex. You don't see anything, but you see them in bed together and a little bit of lead up...It's handled very tastefully, but is somewhat disappointing that it was thrown in there.

Aside from that I don't recall much objectionable content.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:58 pm

I've seen the first eight episodes of Bamboo Blade, and there was nothing particularly objectionable in it.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Atria35 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:33 pm

AngelicTotoro (post: 1457656) wrote:Ah! My Goddess.
Gakuen Alice.
Bamboo Blade. (mostly safe means... what?)

Ah! My Goddess tv series- [spoiler]some fanservice in the form of Urd- she likes her clothes a little low-cut and her bathing suit a little revealing. The second season also has a character that is in for a few episodes that runs around in the approximation of a bikini (not a string one, more covering than that). There are occasional jokes about why Kenichi hasn't gotten together with Belldandy, but they're few and far-between, and usually made when people find out that they're living together. However, their relationship is entirely innocent.

Religion-wise, God is given no real form, but the world is run on something akin to a 'probability machine' called Yggdrasil, the name of the mystic tree in Norse mythology. Goddesses help run it and take care of things on Earth, with the help of their angels (which are apparently hatched from eggs.). Demons try to ruin things on Earth, but are constantly foiled. Urd is also half-demon, but she was allowed to live in Heaven by the grace of God. She holds a lot of shame and turmoil about her heritage.

Language- rare minor swears.[/spoiler]

Gakuen Alice - [spoiler]There's a scene early on where the main boy steals the main girl's undies, but other than that, no fanservice or anything really sexual (though he does tease her about the color of her undies). Language- none or one or two minor swears. Religion- none unless you have an issue with the Alices- magic powers that are somewhat genetic, but have limits and what not.[/spoiler]

Bamboo Blade - [spoiler]Religion- none. Language- none or if any, it's one or two minor swears. Fanservice- as I recall, none, but apparently there's one scene in the locker rooms with no nudity, but they are in their undies. Lasts maybe a minute.[/spoiler]
Atria35

Postby jsav777 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:29 pm

Does anyone know how "D-Gray Man" and "Ghost Hound" are content and quality-wise?
jsav777

Postby Atria35 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:59 pm

jsav777 (post: 1457740) wrote:Does anyone know how "D-Gray Man" and "Ghost Hound" are content and quality-wise?

As I own both the series...

D. Gray-Man- [spoiler]Content wise, for language, there's about one minor swear an episode (usually the D- word). Fanservice? Pretty much none that I can think of. Religion- has an interesting take on Christian religion/mythology, mostly concerning that in this universe there are pieces of 'innocence' granted by God (only a certain number, though), that give the worthy users special abilities to destroy demons. But Noah's decendants are evil and trying to stop the Innocence from being completed and to destroy the world. I know VERY conservative Christians who love this story, even with that, and liberal Christians who don't like that.

Quality-wise... it has a bit of filler in the middle, a lot of it, and doesn't end very well. Mostly because it wasn't popular enough to continue, and because the manga is still ongoing. I would rate it a 7/10, but again, I have a friend who would rate it a 9/10 or a 9.5/10, so that varies.[/spoiler]

Ghost Hound- [spoiler]Content-wise, very little language. Pretty much none, or a few minor swears if there was any. Fanservice- none. Religion-wise, this deals with alternate dimentions, possible ghosts, and astral projection. One of the characters ends up becoming possessed and nearly becomes the figurehead for a cult (she gets snapped out of it). Violence- the main boy and his sister were kidnapped when they were young. His sister ended up dying from starvation/dehydration, and you get flashbacks to when he was trapped in the same room with her body. One boy was accidentally responsible for another student's death, and you see the fall and the aftermath- basically, a body sprawled on the ground and blood around it.

Quality-wise, it's one of my favorite series ever. It's highly psychological, with the term they give in the beginning of the episode relating to the episode and tying things together. There's also some mystery with what was happening to the boy as he astral-projected, and what the deal was with the creatures he was seeing when he did that. The story does fall apart near the end, but over all, I rate it very highly.[/spoiler]
Atria35

Postby AngelicTotoro » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:40 pm

Thanks so much for your help everyone. ;)
Still need to know about Lost Universe and Kimikiss Pure Rouge.
Thanks!
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby airichan623 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:31 pm

Atria35 (post: 1457676) wrote:Gakuen Alice - [spoiler]There's a scene early on where the main boy steals the main girl's undies, but other than that, no fanservice or anything really sexual (though he does tease her about the color of her undies). Language- none or one or two minor swears. Religion- none unless you have an issue with the Alices- magic powers that are somewhat genetic, but have limits and what not.[/spoiler]

Wanting to add to this:
[spoiler]There is also a guy with a pheramone alice that attracts men and women, who uses it too control adults, and when used on children, makes them pass out. One boy's alice is the control of evil spirits.
There is also some content that could be there, but only in how you perceive it. Mikan has a bit of an "obsession" with her bff Hotaru- take it as overly affectionate friendship or lesbianism. However, Mikan's gpa does say after hotaru leaves for the academy that "I remember writing letters to girls i loved too when i was ur age."...stupid Grandpa[/spoiler]

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby Atria35 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:06 pm

airichan623 (post: 1458647) wrote:Wanting to add to this:
[spoiler]There is also a guy with a pheramone alice that attracts men and women, who uses it too control adults, and when used on children, makes them pass out. One boy's alice is the control of evil spirits.
There is also some content that could be there, but only in how you perceive it. Mikan has a bit of an "obsession" with her bff Hotaru- take it as overly affectionate friendship or lesbianism. However, Mikan's gpa does say after hotaru leaves for the academy that "I remember writing letters to girls i loved too when i was ur age."...stupid Grandpa[/spoiler]

Oh, yeah! While it's never clarified in the anime, it's fairly safe to say that in the manga,
[spoiler]it's not lesbianism, it's just over-affection for her bff. It cools down a bit as the story goes on. It's pretty obvious that Mikan is ending up with a boy.[/spoiler]
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:32 pm

So guys, I'm trying to work myself up to be ready for Galactic Heroes, so I'm looking for a twenty six episode show to go through now, since I've only watched thirteen episode shows since getting back into anime.

Here's my MAL so you know what I think is terrible and what I've watched.

Thanks as always, guys!
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby blkmage » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:37 pm

You have Macross F on your plan to watch list, how convenient.

Or Mushishi or Honey and Clover would both also be fine choices.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:51 pm

The noses of Jyu Oh Sei were a perfect warm-up for The Vision of Escaflowne. Plus, Escaflowne is friggan great...aside from one minor detail.

Also, try Segoku Basara seasons 1 and 2, Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex, Gankutsuou, Princess Tutu or Noein. All of these are quality, but if you want something to gear you up for the kind of viewing experience LoGH will be (cerebral, required attention to detail, procedural drama, etc.), I have a hunch GitS:SAC would be a good choice.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:55 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1459328) wrote:The noses of Jyu Oh Sei were a perfect warm-up for The Vision of Escaflowne. Plus, Escaflowne is friggan great...aside from one minor detail.
Obviously comparing a show to Jyu Oh Sei is the best way to get me to watch it.

Though, I think I'm going to go with Macross F, but thanks for all the other recommendations as well.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Edward » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:40 pm

I'll be finishing Witch Hunter Robin soon, so I was wondering if anyone could recommend any series that are similar to WHR and Darker Than Black, or Death Note. Bonus points if it's available for instant watching on Netflix and/or doesn't have too much objectionable stuff in it.
[thread=43825]MOES[/thread] One sig to rule them all. One sig to find them. One sig to bring them all, and in 250 px or less bind them. In the land of Mordor, where the sigs do not scroll.

Real men don't sparkle, real men defeat dark wizards.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

chatbot 07:24 - Edward asks, do you ever give relevant answers chatty?
My answer: No
Edward

Postby Atria35 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:06 pm

Edward (post: 1462516) wrote:I'll be finishing Witch Hunter Robin soon, so I was wondering if anyone could recommend any series that are similar to WHR and Darker Than Black, or Death Note. Bonus points if it's available for instant watching on Netflix and/or doesn't have too much objectionable stuff in it.

Code Geass is always compared to Death Note. It does have some fairly objectionable stuff in it, but someone else would have to fill you in. It's on my to-watch list.

Phantom: Requiem for a Phantom is also highly recommended if you like DtB, and you can watch it all on Hulu.

I'd recommend checking out Wolf's Rain, Xam'd: Lost Memories, and Big O, if you liked those series.
Atria35

Postby jsav777 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:07 pm

I just finished Fullmetal Alchemist and am looking for something new to watch. I'm hoping to find something action-packed like Soul Eater or an action comedy. Just no excessive objectionable content, like PG-13ish.
jsav777

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:19 pm

I'm assuming you're referring to the first anime of FMA; if I'm correct, go watch Brotherhood, as it is so much better.

Otherwise:
Kure-nai
Birdy the Mighty Decode
If you like mecha, I'd recommend Eureka Seven, Bones's third fifty-episode anime, as you've seen the other two, and it's definitely their best of the three.
Full Metal Panic! pushes the PG-13ish, but it's not MA, at least, the first season isn't.

(My inner sadist almost recommended Denpateki na Kanojo.)
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Atria35 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:20 pm

jsav777 (post: 1463393) wrote:I just finished Fullmetal Alchemist and am looking for something new to watch. I'm hoping to find something action-packed like Soul Eater or an action comedy. Just no excessive objectionable content, like PG-13ish.

You could try FMA: Brotherhood- it's a remake that follows the manga, instead of splitting off like the original series did.

Eureka Seven and Heroic Age would also be good choices.

Seconding Birdy the Mighty Decode!
Atria35

Postby jsav777 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:27 pm

[quote="Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1463395)"]I'm assuming you're referring to the first anime of FMA]

Yeah, I've only watch the original FMA. Around what episode do the two start having differences?
jsav777

Postby Atria35 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:44 pm

jsav777 (post: 1463731) wrote:Yeah, I've only watch the original FMA. Around what episode do the two start having differences?

They have differences even in the beginning episode, so you probably want to start there.
Atria35

Postby AngelicTotoro » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:21 pm

I've been thinking about watching Last Exile.
I need to know the usual things... swaring, religion, nudity, etc.

edit: Oh, also, I'd like to know the same for Wolf's Rain.
Thanks!
AngelicTotoro

Postby jsav777 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:01 pm

AngelicTotoro (post: 1464465) wrote:I've been thinking about watching Last Exile.
I need to know the usual things... swaring, religion, nudity, etc.

I would definitely recommend Last Exile. I personally loved it but I know there's some who'd disagree here.
Content-wise-
Language: "b", "d", "hell". nothing too bad.
Religion: Nothing really.
Nudity: One character has a low cut top and makes one of the male characters feel awkward. That's about it.
Violence: Some blood but not much
jsav777

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:42 pm

AngelicTotoro (post: 1464465) wrote:I've been thinking about watching Last Exile.
Don't.
AngelicTotoro (post: 1464465) wrote:I need to know the usual things... swaring,
Some. Light swearing.
AngelicTotoro (post: 1464465) wrote:religion
None.
AngelicTotoro (post: 1464465) wrote:nudity,
Mullin Shetland.
AngelicTotoro (post: 1464465) wrote:etc.
For a show featuring a war prominently in its OP, there is little actual warfare or violence in the series, possibly because the war itself ceases to be a factor after the second or so episode until late in the series when it briefly becomes important (again) before being forgotten (again).
Fish and Chips

Postby AngelicTotoro » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:28 pm

jsav: Thanks for your help!
fish and chips: I take it you don't like it. xD I still wanna watch it though...

I still need to know about Wolf's Rain.
Thanks!

edit: Also, I need to know about the sexual content in Lost Universe and Kimikiss Pure Rouge...
I asked awhile back and dont think I got an answer
(correct me if i'm wrong)
Thanks again!
AngelicTotoro

Postby That Dude » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:00 pm

Wolfs Rain.

Language: light PG-13, your standard four letter words peppered here and there.

Religion: Some light mentions of other religion, and some reincarnation hinted at.

Nudity: One character is almost always nude, but everything is covered by long hair, and she's in a coma the whole time. Aside from that just some suggestive costumes.

Violence: This show gets pretty violent. Never gruesome, but decent amount of blood and a few nearly cringe worthy scenes of violence.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby AngelicTotoro » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:22 pm

I don't mind violence so much, is it more rurouni kenshin-ish, or princess mononoke-ish?
Also, about the whole reincarnation thing. Who and why is it hinted at?
(Don't really mind a spoiler if needed.)
Thanks so much!

edit: Never mind, found out for myself by watching an amv... Much to violent for my tastes right now.
Maybe when I'm older... like 30. xD
AngelicTotoro

Anime recommendation: "Daughter of 20 Faces."

Postby Geirr » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:15 pm

Set in a Japan 1950s-ish era, kind of a "gentleman-master-thief gains an unexpected sidekick" story.

Awesomely wholesome for Christian viewers:

- No fanservice
- Chaste values (chastity until marriage is an assumed social norm)
- No magic
- No homosexual content

A good, gripping, late steampunk era mystery adventure story with NOTHING OFFENSIVE, yet still highly entertaining.
Geirr

Postby Atria35 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:32 pm

Geirr (post: 1467859) wrote:Set in a Japan 1950s-ish era, kind of a "gentleman-master-thief gains an unexpected sidekick" story.

/missed point of thread entirely

It's for others to ask for specific recommendations, not for users to recommend anime that they like.
Atria35

What could be NEXT?

Postby Geirr » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:22 am

Atria35 (post: 1467860) wrote:/missed point of thread entirely

It's for others to ask for specific recommendations, not for users to recommend anime that they like.

OK fine then. We're 'running low' on anime - this past season has been rather high on ecchi, (which we* don't like) low on historical cool stuff (which we *do* like.)

We're now watching 'Youkai Otome Zakuro' after finishing 'Wagaya no Oinari-sama,' and we also just finished 'The World God Only Knows.'

With that as background, what would folks recommend in the realm of hard SF or maybe military?

(Already saw Sousei no Aquarion, Toward Terra, Zegapain, got bored by PlanetES & bailed, enjoyed Black Lagoon, Zipang, and & Negotiator Yuko.)

( * my sweetie and I )
Geirr

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews