What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby Atria35 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:27 pm

Asuka Neko (post: 1461931) wrote:I've been reading Love*Com, which is really good if a little random and I read it out of order so I didn't realize one character was NOT a girl until AFTER I read the whole thing. Agh, that was weird.

I've been reading it in order- it's not as random if you manage that! XD I'm sorry you had to suffer through the non-order, though. It is pretty darn good!

Hana-Kimi 1-2- Not sure what to think. Story seems a little rushed, character development is.... not really there. But I like the comedy.
Atria35

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:50 pm

First things first: Started on Yotsuba&! (read vol. 1 so far). This is certainly the lightest manga I've read :), and it's fairly cute, too. Wouldn't say it's a favorite, but I'll gladly keep following it via library.

Next, Two Flowers For The Dragon, a.k.a. Ryuu no Hanawazurai (1-6 so far): I knew before I started reading this series that the last volume had never been published in English due to the demise of the company publishing it. But I had heard a lot of good things about it, so I decided to go for it anyway, figuring someone on the internet had to have translated vol. 7. (Now, just on a quick personal note, if something already has been or is currently being published in English, I don't read scans {for several reasons, actually, but I won't bore you with the details :)}. Since AFAIK the license for Two Flowers has not yet been rescued, however, I made an exception here.) I should have checked that before I got the available 6 volumes from the library, though, because as it turns out I only found one group scanlating it, and they're still somewhere back in volume 5. :forehead: I did look up who the main character ends up with, just to confirm what I had been certain of by the end of vol. 6; but, still, I'd like to read the entire ending to find out what exactly happened with the larger plot (and a couple of other relationships, for that matter). Guess I just have to be really patient (*sigh*-- well, that, or start learning Japanese... :sweat:).

Third, the Death Note: L - Change The World novel: This is the alternate-continuity one that's based off of the Japanese live-action movies. It was alright, but (even continuity aside) I think "The L.A. BB Murder Cases" novel was better-written, and I just generally ended up enjoying that one more than this. *shrug* :)

And finally, Kieli novel #2: Wow. I had enjoyed the manga version of the first novel, but having just read the second novel I can say that this series is easily going in my favorites list. (And the writing was even good enough to make me want to go back and read the first novel now, too, even though I already read the manga of it!)
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Kaori » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:12 am

Although it’s somewhat embarrassing to admit I haven’t read this series before, I’m currently on volume 16 of FMA, which is not quite 2/3 of the way through the series. I have to admit that for the first several volumes, although I thought it was good, I didn’t quite get why the series gets such a high degree of praise. But since reading past the battle where
[spoiler]Roy Mustang kills Lust[/spoiler]
I understand now.

Also recently read Meteor Methuselah (Immortal Rain) v. 10. I’m not sure what good it does to say very much about this volume, since I don’t know whether anyone is reading it, and it seems like Tokyopop stopped translating after v. 8 with no plans to continue. Volume 10 was a pretty good volume, though, and it seems like the series will be wrapping up in the next volume or two, which is exciting news for fans (that is, me). It was also a very fast read; this was one of the fastest times I’ve been able to read through a volume of manga in Japanese, mainly because it was highly action-oriented and didn’t have much text.
TSD wrote:Basara

Basara was my favorite shoujo for a while, and it’s a great illustration of how much of a misconception it is to think that shonen = action and shoujo = romance, or shoujo can’t have action in it, or that sort of idea. I can confirm that the story and characters are great for the first dozen or so volumes, which is as far as I read, and I like the way that the moral issues involved are presented in a complex way] It does have what I think of as stereotypical shojo art (read: Rayearth eyes), but it isn't bad.[/quote]
Coming from the perspective of someone who has read quite a few shoujo titles, I would say that the art is dramatically different from most shoujo manga nowadays, the vast majority of which look exactly like one another. The extremely loose art style of Basara would probably be pretty jarring to someone used to reading stuff with the polished, heavily screentoned art of those recent series. The style does look dated in a way that is somewhat similar to other manga from a few decades ago, though.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:12 am

Kaori (post: 1462896) wrote:I like the way that the moral issues involved are presented in a complex way]On a similar note, I enjoy that the series is, to use a phrase that ppl can relate to, refreshingly "anti Gurren Lagann." That is, it seems to run counter to the idea that is prevalent (understatement) in other genres that extra effort is equivalent to success. Desire funneled through stringently focused work ethic will ensure that you break through the barrier of impossibility. Basara seems to set itself squarely against this attitude at the end of its first volume. Not only is nothing gained from will+effort, but a great deal is lost. Accomplishment might actually be linked to other features.
Coming from the perspective of someone who has read quite a few shoujo titles, I would say that the art is dramatically different from most shoujo manga nowadays, the vast majority of which look exactly like one another. The extremely loose art style of Basara would probably be pretty jarring to someone used to reading stuff with the polished, heavily screentoned art of those recent series. The style does look dated in a way that is somewhat similar to other manga from a few decades ago, though.
I defer to you, ma'am. Since I haven't been exposed to much of the genre, my ideas of shojo "stereotypes," being as subjective as they are, likely are not quite accurate.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Atria35 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:21 pm

Yume Kira Dream Shoppe- It has a bittersweet feel to it that I enjoyed, and yet was so much fluff.

Re-read Saint Young Men v.1- You know, I just don't understand why I like this but don't care for Arakawa. It's the same mangaka, but I get this far more. It hits me on a chord I can relate to and think about.
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:40 pm

So, quite a bit of manga lately.

Blade of the Immortal American volumes 10-15

So BotI is really, really good. It's become nothing if more brutal, so if you have a weak stomach or even maybe a normal one, don't read it. If you can tolerate it, however, it is a fantastic read. The art is incredible, the fights do a great job of making each opponent about the same as far as skill goes, but each of them is almost like a different puzzle Manji has to figure out in order to win. For a guy who can't die, he has to use a ton of strategy to win. I also like where the plot is heading, which looks like it could be really awesome.

Sanjin Sadou volume one

This was a fun work by the guy who did The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer. It was fun to have a wandering dude who takes care of magical problems but is totally carefree and reckless, kind of the opposite of Ginko. He played well off of his apprentice, so I'd recommend it.

Cross Game volumes one and two(plus the first chapter of three)

Cross Game so far is shaping up to be great, though I'm pretty sure that this is my first plot-driven slice of life, which is kind of interesting. I am a bit disappointed that it isn't covering the main dude's life from fifth grade on, and instead does a timeskip, but that's not even a complaint.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:19 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1463529) wrote:I am a bit disappointed that it isn't covering the main dude's life from fifth grade on, and instead does a timeskip
Don't worry, you'll get plenty of fifth grade flashbacks of Kou and the Tsukishimas. And yes, Cross Game is great.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:24 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1463566) wrote:Don't worry, you'll get plenty of fifth grade flashbacks of Kou and the Tsukishimas. And yes, Cross Game is great.
Oh, I just meant that I looked forward to watching Ko's life as it progressed, but it's fine the way it is.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby AnimeGirl » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:53 pm

Just bought and finished reading volume 18 of Black Cat. I know I am starting waaay ahead, but there were few volumes in this small bookstore I went to of any manga there, and this looked interesting (plus I had watched all of the anime). Anyway, I highly enjoyed it and can't wait to see what happens next! This particular arc was not in the anime, and I wish it was, 'cause it was cool. Oh well, that's what manga is for, eh?
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Tamachan319 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:26 pm

Just bought and finished vol. 24 of Fullmetal Alchemist. As usual, it was great. I was so excited when I saw it at the bookstore because I didn't think it would be out yet!
Also, I read the last volume of Love*Com. It was a cute and funny to a cute and funny series. :D
I've been skim-re-reading Ouran a little bit too because I get the volumes to get from my library to give to my friend (who lives far away from my library). It's fun because she used to dislike anime/manga quite a bit. Now she's reading some manga, which is great. XD
[font="Comic Sans MS"]"You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me."
-C. S. Lewis[/font]
"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."
According to EllaEdric, my real name is.... "TAMAMAMAMAAMMAAM".

[font="Courier New"]
I love my flute![/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tamachan319

Location: Someplace, somewhere. I'm specific about these things, you see.

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:55 am

Tried to start High School Debut, but it really wasn't all that well-written, was only so-so in keeping my interest, and then something in the fifth chapter (start of vol. 2) kinda turned me off a bit-- so I dropped this one.

On the positive side, though, I also read La Corda d'Oro vol. 13, and I am still very much enjoying this series :) -- in fact, I'm loving it more with every volume, and have since raised its MAL score, along with adding it to my favorites list below.
Saved by grace.

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby AnimeGirl » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:10 pm

Just finished volume 1 of Shelter Of Wings. Let me just say the art in this manga is GORGEOUS!! It reminds me of CLAMP and whoever did "Manga Messiah". And I really loved the message in this story. It's inspired me to get off my lazy butt and start finishing my manga XD!!!
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

AnimeGirl

Postby Atria35 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:07 pm

YAY! Finished Lovely Complex. I even read vol. 17, which actually isn't part of the series- it's just a volume of extra stories. Such a good series.....
Atria35

Postby aliveinHim » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:23 pm

I'm reading Kitchen Princess. I love it.
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby That Dude » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:28 pm

aliveinHim (post: 1465109) wrote:I'm reading Kitchen Princess. I love it.

That's one of the best shoujo that I've read.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby aliveinHim » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:39 am

I'm waiting for the second book at the library.
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby AnimeGirl » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:00 am

I've been reading alot of one-shot comics on SmackJeeves....

Also, read volume 2 of Kimi Ni Todoke again. Man....I just LOVE this volume! It's like my favorite volume (so far) as well as 4!

AnimeGirl

Postby ST. Attidude » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:21 am

Just finished One Piece vol. 11 - Man, Oda's got an awesome style! ^ ^

I just might head back to the masterful art that is Rurouni Kenshin...

But One Pound Gospel looks pretty good right now...
ST. Attidude

Postby MangaRocks! » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:56 pm

Pandora Hearts (vol.'s 1-4 so far): Well, aside from all the vocal exclamations (such as laughter, etc.) having apparently been translated completely literally rather than replacing them with corresponding English versions (which, to English ears/eyes, can sound/look amusingly odd at times :grin:)-- and the fact that it can occasionally be mildly confusing or unclear-- this has been a fairly intriguing story so far, and I'm certainly going to continue following it for now.
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby Sapphire225 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:58 am

I've got into this horror manga called Judge.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby Atria35 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:38 am

Re-read v. 1-2 of Bunny Drop. I want 3 NOW! *hasn't been released yet*
Atria35

Postby yukkuhoshiri » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:42 am

Well just finished Hitoribocchi wa Samishikute by Chiba Kozue, 99% Cacao by Yoshioka Ririko. Right now, am considering to read St. Lunatic High School :D
[SIZE="4"][color="LightBlue"][font="Century Gothic"]Jump into kaleidoscope dreams...[/font][/color][/SIZE]
yukkuhoshiri

Postby Nami » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:58 am

Vampire Doll Apparently rather fan-service-y, I haven't finished it, but fair warning! It looks fun though for people who enjoy a guy vampire who gets locked in a girls body but has to drink someone's blood to turn into a guy. He likes being a man, so its awesome so far. XD I'll let you know how it turns out.
[color="Red"][SIZE="3"]Swiftly Dissin' and never Missin'.
Yours Truly,
Sick of all the BSin'.[/SIZE][/color]
Nami

Location: Sitting in a tree, waiting for you. *sinister grin*

Postby TheMewster » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:37 pm

Reading Azumanga Daioh. Really funny!
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:50 am

Shingeki no Kyojin vol. 1-2

A.K.A. "That other Manga about giant killing."
Fish and Chips

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:35 am

Fish and Chips (post: 1467405) wrote:"That other Manga about giant killing."
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby GeneD » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:10 pm

Just started volume 5 of The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer, which I have been reading slowly since it came up in the Manga of the Month thread. I should go there and post more thoughts, but I definitely like it enough to finish it and am quite interested in the characters.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:44 pm

GeneD (post: 1467457) wrote:Just started volume 5 of The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer, which I have been reading slowly since it came up in the Manga of the Month thread. I should go there and post more thoughts, but I definitely like it enough to finish it and am quite interested in the characters.
Biscuit Hammer is a wonderful thing that continues to get incredibly better until reaching one of the most satisfying endings I've had in a manga.

Yeah, it's pretty good.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Cadence » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:16 pm

^This is that manga that starts out with a talking lizard randomly dropping in and asking for help saving the world, isn't it? I read quite a bit of it a while back and loved it. And then I promptly forgot the title and never finished...reading this thread (and remembering the title) totally just made my day. =) Guess I'd better go finish the manga now...
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6
Cadence

Postby Atria35 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:18 am

Land of the Blindfolded v. 1-2- Not too shabby. Sweet, decent. Interesting take on the shoujo.
Atria35

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews