Mobile Suit Gundam

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby airichan623 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:50 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1451013) wrote:That. Dub. Is. Bad.

Agh. I really want to like the show a lot, but (1) I am quite picky when it comes to English voice acting, and (2) I loathe the Ocean Group's dubs.

Don't get me wrong...it is a good show (finished up through ep 25), but the dub keeps its ceiling at 3/5, for me. Thank the Lord Zeta is streaming subtitled.

My friend said is wasnt all that bad, with the exception of the fact that extra mouth flaps were filled in with "Amuro" xD

MasterDias (post: 1451032) wrote:Yeah.
There are clips of the old Gundam movies dub on Youtube. British Bright...and the fact that no one can pronounce Gundam correctly is pretty hilarious.

LOL theres a british captain in Seed Destiny's bandai dub....it makes me laugh (but he deserves it: hes an idiot w/ the name Arthur, so he already sounds british)

Apparently, there was a holdup on the Japanese end regarding the MSG original track. Reverse importation fears I assume...or something similarly stupid.

i heard that too: thar the sound effect tracts etc were lost or somethin.

on another note: im surprised no one mentioned this:
MUST. GET. PICTURE. WITH GIANT. GUNDAM.

and i really wanna go to this:
Image and eat
take note, future gundam enemies: most gundam can be defeated with the powers of NOMNOMNOM.

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:55 pm

airichan623 (post: 1451358) wrote:i heard that too: thar the sound effect tracts etc were lost or somethin.

I don't think that's true. I think what the case with the movie trilogy was that Tomino thought the sound quality was too inferior to be used (it was recorded in mono and not stereo, originally). But that can't be true because the original mono mix was released in Japan on DVD and it sounds fine-- I have a fansub of it. I also have fansubs of the TV series' original audio and it too sounds fine. So either the tapes weren't actually in bad shape to begin with, or they found other copies, or something.

Also, I wanna go to the Gundam Cafe D:
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:45 am

So uh, more SEED today

[spoiler]Kira and his Gundam are engulfed in massive explosion courtesy of Athrun

There's no real way he could have survived such a blast

Not only does he survive

He somehow ends up INNNN SPAAAACE

AT LACUS CLYNE'S HOUSE

LESS THAN A DAY AFTER HE "DIED"

AND HE IS ALIVE[/spoiler]

WHAT.

WHAT.

WHAT.

NO WAY.

I CALL BS.

BS I TELL YOUUUUUUU
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Agloval » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:00 pm

Yeah. As I recall there's an explanation buried in the sidestories (Astray?). I won't comment on how convincing it is. In the anime as we have it it's rather a gaping hole.

This is the bit where SEED shakes things up, for better or for worse. In my heart of hearts I don't think it's very good, but as it was my introduction to Gundam I have a sneaking affection for it.

Also,

[spoiler]Nicol was only fifteen! And he loved to play the piano! &c &c[/spoiler]
'That blast is blown for me, for I am the prize, and yet am I not dead.'
Agloval

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:28 pm

[spoiler]I know, Nicol just died and that was sad, but I started to feel less sad when they showed us his death scene FOUR TIMES in one episode. Really?[/spoiler]
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Psycho Molos » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:41 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1451500) wrote:So uh, more SEED today

[spoiler]Kira and his Gundam are engulfed in massive explosion courtesy of Athrun

Not only does he survive

AT LACUS CLYNE'S HOUSE

WHAT.

WHAT.

WHAT.

NO WAY.

I CALL BS.

BS I TELL YOUUUUUUU

I just have to say that if I got to "point B" by suffering "point A" then I really want to "point A" right now! :P
[color="Cyan"]Oh MOES! It's Czadek peddling the Black Pill for the Merv! Dark Evolution[/color]

Ich hasst Mein lieben.....
Psycho Molos

Postby Davidizer13 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:23 pm

Not only does he survive

AT LACUS CLYNE'S HOUSE

Now that's a rocket-jump.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:35 pm

Psycho Molos (post: 1451592) wrote:I just have to say that if I got to "point B" by suffering "point A" then I really want to "point A" right now! :P

I don't know what you mean and I'm not sure I want to know.

Back on topic, I really don't see how people can praise Gundam SEED one minute and then bash UC Gundam the next. At least UC series MAKE SENSE.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Psycho Molos » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:37 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1451603) wrote:I don't know what you mean and I'm not sure I want to know.

Back on topic, I really don't see how people can praise Gundam SEED one minute and then bash UC Gundam the next. At least UC series MAKE SENSE.

Lacus is pretty...that's all lol
[color="Cyan"]Oh MOES! It's Czadek peddling the Black Pill for the Merv! Dark Evolution[/color]

Psycho Molos

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:41 pm

Psycho Molos (post: 1451623) wrote:Lacus is pretty...that's all lol
She's also 16.
Fish and Chips

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:48 pm

Psycho Molos (post: 1451623) wrote:Lacus is pretty...that's all lol

fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Psycho Molos » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:57 pm

Well theyre almost always 16 :-P

Psycho Molos

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:10 pm

Psycho Molos (post: 1451651) wrote:Well theyre almost always 16 :-P
Fish and Chips

Postby Psycho Molos » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:18 pm

Hey what I meant is that I didn't mean anything dirty by it

Psycho Molos

Postby Roy Mustang » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:27 am

airichan623 wrote:on another note: im surprised no one mentioned this:
MUST. GET. PICTURE. WITH GIANT. GUNDAM.

I hate to break the news to you, but the life size Gundam is no more and was taken down last summer.

Also, the Gundam cafe is where you can pay for a person dress up uniform to slap you in the face, Gundam style!

[color="Red"][font="Book Antiqua"]Col. Roy Mustang[/font][/color]
Roy Mustang

Postby GeneD » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:22 am

Not only does he survive

AT LACUS CLYNE'S HOUSE

WHAT.

WHAT.

WHAT.

NO WAY.

I CALL BS.

BS I TELL YOUUUUUUU
The explosion was so big that he reached escape velocity. :P Yeah, okay I don't know either.

Agloval (post: 1451570) wrote:In my heart of hearts I don't think it's very good, but as it was my introduction to Gundam I have a sneaking affection for it.
Unfortunately this is true for me too, although I haven't had the pleasure of seeing any other Gundam series yet.

ShiroiHikari (post: 1451588) wrote:[spoiler]I know, Nicol just died and that was sad, but I started to feel less sad when they showed us his death scene FOUR TIMES in one episode. Really?[/spoiler]
They really REALLY like that scene. I'm pretty sure it crops up again once in a while.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby battletech » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:46 pm

Roy Mustang (post: 1452372) wrote:I hate to break the news to you, but the life size Gundam is no more and was taken down last summer.

Also, the Gundam cafe is where you can pay for a person dress up uniform to slap you in the face, Gundam style!

[color="Red"][font="Book Antiqua"]Col. Roy Mustang[/font][/color]

They put up a second one at the Higashi-Shizuoka Train Station. The second one was open to the public until the tenth of January. I do not know if it was taken down after that though.
[img]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/bluebattletech/amuro_ray_emblem1_zps864eefb8.png[/img]
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:08 pm

I'm finally done with Gundam SEED.

I feel like throwing a party.

Seriously, it never really did get any better. I'm **** off that [spoiler]Mu died[/spoiler] as he was one of the only rational, sensible dudes in the thing, and I'm **** off that they never showed you what was under Rau Le Creuset's mask.

[spoiler]Also NEWTYPE FLASHES? WHAT IS THIS.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Also apparently Cagalli and Kira are twins WAT. They really should have taken more time to cover this VERY IMPORTANT PLOT POINT but instead we just get like a three-minute flashback and then they're just kind of like "oh yeah we're twins and stuff I guess" and then no more is really said about it.[/spoiler] Instead of "PEW PEW PEW IM FIRIN MAH LASER! STOCK FOOTAGE, IKIMAAAASU" we needed more scenes like this where crap actually happens. BUT NO.

At least [spoiler]Isaac and Dearka stopped being d-bags and actually turned out to be kind of cool.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]ALSO WHY DID THEY BRING BACK ANDREW WALTFELD?![/spoiler] He didn't even DO ANYTHING. He just kinda sat there looking cool. FFFFFFFFF--

I give it 1 1/2 out of 5.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby blkmage » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:23 pm

lawl, man, I forgot about the Newtype flashes.

Bad news, though, you're only halfway.
blkmage

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:28 pm

blkmage (post: 1453912) wrote:Bad news, though, you're only halfway.

fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Agloval » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:53 am

I normally advise those who enjoyed SEED not to watch Destiny. But if you didn't enjoy SEED, you may find ghoulish entertainment in just how bad Destiny gets.
Agloval

Postby blkmage » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:03 am

Or the general compulsion of Gundam fans to watch every Gundam series. God knows that one day, I'll end up watching Victory Gundam or G-SAVIOUR and I'll have my hands in my face while weeping.
blkmage

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:16 pm

Oh I fully intend to watch ALL OF GUNDAM before I die. V Gundam is one of my husband's personal favorites so I'm curious to see why he loves it so much (the rest of the world apparently hates it).

I might skip G-Saviour though >_>
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby battletech » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:21 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1454175) wrote:Oh I fully intend to watch ALL OF GUNDAM before I die. V Gundam is one of my husband's personal favorites so I'm curious to see why he loves it so much (the rest of the world apparently hates it).

I might skip G-Saviour though >_>

He is not the only one. V Gundam is one of my favorites too.
[img]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/bluebattletech/amuro_ray_emblem1_zps864eefb8.png[/img]
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Postby airichan623 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:04 pm

Davidizer13 (post: 1451600) wrote:Now that's a rocket-jump.

Yup. Even i was confuzzled.

Roy Mustang (post: 1452372) wrote:I hate to break the news to you, but the life size Gundam is no more and was taken down last summer.

:waah!: NOOOOOOOOESSSSS!!! Time to pull a Kira Yamato here.

LOL I'd pay for that. As long as its athrun..... xD

Not only does he survive

AT LACUS CLYNE'S HOUSE

AH yes the power of "Wait- WHHHAAAAAAAT?!?!?
ShiroiHikari (post: 1453906) wrote:I'm finally done with Gundam SEED.

I feel like throwing a party.

Seriously, it never really did get any better. I'm **** off that [spoiler]Mu died[/spoiler] as he was one of the only rational, sensible dudes in the thing, and I'm **** off that they never showed you what was under Rau Le Creuset's mask.

His face is shone in the movies- dont worry, even I'm not stupid enough to watch those piles of compiled crap. But I am gonna use them to make my sister tamachan actually watch a gundam series. (she hates everything gundam) (even UC since shes never seen any).

And I'll give you one reason to watch Destiny: he reappears. But cue facepalm: as another Char/LeCrueset ripoff.

[spoiler]Also apparently Cagalli and Kira are twins WAT. They really should have taken more time to cover this VERY IMPORTANT PLOT POINT but instead we just get like a three-minute flashback and then they're just kind of like "oh yeah we're twins and stuff I guess" and then no more is really said about it.[/spoiler] Instead of "PEW PEW PEW IM FIRIN MAH LASER! STOCK FOOTAGE, IKIMAAAASU" we needed more scenes like this where crap actually happens. BUT NO.

Agreement. Awesome plot point. Rushed because of too many flashbacks.

At least [spoiler]Isaac and Dearka stopped being d-bags and actually turned out to be kind of cool.[/spoiler]

think you mean Yzak. And love Dearka- especially after [spoiler]he gets captured and theres all that awesome emotional stuff b/w him and Miriallia (Tolle's gf)[/spoiler].
[spoiler]ALSO WHY DID THEY BRING BACK ANDREW WALTFELD?![/spoiler] He didn't even DO ANYTHING. He just kinda sat there looking cool. FFFFFFFFF--

I thought he was beast. he needed more screen time.
Agloval (post: 1454146) wrote:I normally advise those who enjoyed SEED not to watch Destiny. But if you didn't enjoy SEED, you may find ghoulish entertainment in just how bad Destiny gets.

LOL i agree. I hated Destiny, except for the immensly entertaining growth of the onscreen Athrun Zala fan club:
Imagethis is from the op.
and an epicly hilarious fanpic i found:
ImageROFL

OK i will admit something: I didnt think that GS was all that amazing of a show: but it created a fangirl outta me-- and for some reason, i couldnt stop watching or stop drawing the crap. i have like 5 fandrawings of Lacus clyne, 1 of Kira Athrun and Lacus, one of Athrun's fangirls fighting over him, and one AthrunXCagalli. And I'm working on my Lacus Clyne cosplay.

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby MasterDias » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:57 pm

I'm not sure I would say V Gundam is one of the most hated. ZZ and Seed Destiny are the series that tend to get the most flak. I personally wasn't very fond of V for various reasons. A few years ago I went through all of the unlicensed Gundam series (ZZ,V,X,Turn A) and remember liking it the least of the four.

Anyway, since it's free on Crunchyroll, I started watching Gundam Wing.
It's been a decent watch, but not particularly impressive so far.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:53 am

I'm saving other Gundam series for when the next episodes of Unicorn come out. Unicorn puts me in a HOLY CRAP GUNDAM mood so I need more viewing material for when that happens. XD

I will probably watch SEED Destiny, but I just...need a break.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Agloval » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:17 pm

V's the series I watched most recently (excepting 0080, which I rewatch every Christmas) and I didn't like it, but I did like quite a lot of its elements, considered discretely: the V and V2 were nice designs, choreographed nicely, the tyres and motorcycle battleships were cool in a stupid way, the music did a lot for me, and so on.

A rum do, really.
Agloval

Postby Davidizer13 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:57 pm

Agloval (post: 1454693) wrote: the V and V2 were nice designs, choreographed nicely, the tyres and motorcycle battleships were cool in a stupid way

Ah, so those motorcycle battleships are from V, then? I'm not really familiar with Gundam, y'see. But yeah, when I saw one of those things and their feather-capped crews in Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden, I had the same "that's so stupid it's awesome" reaction (which, incidentally, happens a lot in SRW).
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby Agloval » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:22 am

Yeah, the land battleships are from Victory -- the bad guys use them. They also have mobile suits riding in giant tyres. At one point one of their leaders remarks (according to the somewhat shaky translation I had access to) that 'By reviving the bikes of the middle ages [. . .] I've become unstoppable!'
Agloval

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews