What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby ich1990 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:39 pm

Violence Hero Riki-oh vol. 3-12 [complete]

There is something inspiring about reading a series that has no idea what it is talking about, willfully acknowledge that fact, and then continue on anyways. Like some unholy child of Sengoku Basara and Fist of the North Star, Violence Hero Riki-oh is over the top, insane, ultra-violent, and unabashedly daring. Also, I am convinced the Manga-ka had ADHD.

Lets start with insanity and daring. To avoid giving away spoilers, I am going to be very general: It starts with a prison riot. Mid-way through the series, Riki-oh is fighting telekinetic Nazis. It starts with him punching people inside out. Mid way through the series he knocking down two elephants with a single blow. It starts with vague religious references. Towards the end, the bad guys use bullets forged with fires of burning Bibles (how much more evil can you get?) and give speeches about how King Solomon lived in 40 AD and was actually a Warlock. And it just gets more ridiculous and violent from there.

This is where the ADHD comes in. Every time Riki-oh seems to start settling into a pattern, whether it be prizefighting in duels to the death, hunting down prison captains, or even stopping diabolical Nazi plots, he just sort of takes off and does something else. This is okay, because the plot isn't really the point: watching Riki-oh make very bad people's insides go outside is the point, but is quite random and can leave you shaking your head sometimes.

This series is recommended with heavy caution. For those who can handle insane violence, are looking for a crazy plot and oodles of manliness, have already checked out JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, and would rather avoid sexual content, give Violence Hero Riki-oh a try. Everyone else is advised to pass it by, as it is a strongly flavored and mature series, not prone to easy digestion or enjoyment. 7/10
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby That Dude » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:56 am

Atria35 (post: 1439468) wrote:Took a break from Kenshin to read a short 2-volume manga called Negative Happy Chainsaw Edge. No, it's not as gruesome as it sounds. But it has enough pantyshots to make up for it. Regardless, I enjoyed it.

Did you know that they made a live action movie of the manga? I think that there was also a show, but I can't remember...Though I know for sure there was a live action movie. Anyway, I enjoyed that manga.

I keep up with about 20 or more ongoing series, so I won't bother putting them up here, I'll just put up the ones that I've finished.

Finished: Cross Game.
It was an interesting series. A baseball manga where the baseball took the background to the emotional development of the characters and the everyday interactions of the main character and a family of friends that lives down the street from him. Kinda poignant series. I quite enjoyed it.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Atria35 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:54 pm

That Dude (post: 1439564) wrote:Did you know that they made a live action movie of the manga? I think that there was also a show, but I can't remember...Though I know for sure there was a live action movie. Anyway, I enjoyed that manga.

Seriously?! I had no idea! Hrmmmm..... Maybe I should see if I can find it.....
Atria35

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:00 pm

I am reading......K-On volume 1. Maybe I should make Mio or Mugi my waifu?
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby Nami » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:48 am

I just started on the Devil does exist its not as bad as it sounds! I have already seen the live action, which apparently was done without the author's permission, she states in; Crimson Hero. Another one I love ^_~ but so far, I'm enjoying this manga! :3
[color="Red"][SIZE="3"]Swiftly Dissin' and never Missin'.
Yours Truly,
Sick of all the BSin'.[/SIZE][/color]
Nami

Location: Sitting in a tree, waiting for you. *sinister grin*

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:47 pm

Saint Seiya - Vol. 1 and 2

You know how when you want birthday cake, you don't really care if the taste is different, innovative or paradigm-shifting? You just want that familiar taste of birthday cake, each bite more delightful than the next.

Saint Seiya is pure brithday cake. By that I mean that it is an 80s Shonen Jump battle-fest and has no pretensions about being anything else. And I really enjoy it so far.

A highlight for me is the introduction of Hyuga. We see him on his home soil of Siberia Russia. He is standing atop the ice of a frozen body of water with a rose in his mouth. Hyuga punches a meteor-sized hole in said ice (which is several meters thick, btw) and swims, in the deathly freezing water, down to a shipwreck on the bottom of the ocean/lake/whatevs. Swimming inside the downed vessel, Hyuga locates a coffin. He opens it to find the (still totally intact and unsullied) body of his mother. He places this rose upon her body and proceeds to stay and talk to her...for an hour...and he does this EVERY DAY.

Awesome.

More please.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Atria35 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:35 pm

Rurouni Kenshin 7-9- Okay, I think I've hit the beginning of the Kyoto arc. My expectations are high.

Muhyo and Roji's Bureau of Supernatural Investigation 13-18 (complete)- I loved the manga enough to continue where I'd left off from the Manga of the Month. I have not been disappointed. This was a fun little series! I mean, it had the Epic Shounen Battles, but I really liked them more in here that I normally do- perhaps because the setting and usual attacks were so different or not there. All in all, I really liked it.
Atria35

Postby ST. Attidude » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:35 pm

I've got back on reading Rurouni Kenshin myself; I think I have read up to vol 12, but I only own the first 3 BIG edition volumes (those 3 volumes-in-1 book dealios) and I'm reading the first one now...I just left off where Kurogasa is set to off Kenshin.
ST. Attidude

Postby Atria35 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:35 am

Sand Chronicles 1- DoRahMa. But it's kinda good drama. Strange, but true. I think that I need it to get off my shounen high from finishing Mohyo and Roji.
Atria35

Postby wildpurplechild » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:09 pm

Chi's sweet home vol 1-2, so cutesie! I love the anime too!
Ouran Highschool Host club 11-13, it's getting so good!! I'm finally geting caught up!
Heads up, I don't go on this site much these days...
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

Postby Tamachan319 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:31 pm

Emma v. 2-*working on* 4.
[font="Comic Sans MS"]"You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me."
-C. S. Lewis[/font]
"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."
According to EllaEdric, my real name is.... "TAMAMAMAMAAMMAAM".

[font="Courier New"]
I love my flute![/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tamachan319

Location: Someplace, somewhere. I'm specific about these things, you see.

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:59 pm

Tamachan319 (post: 1441577) wrote:Emma v. 2-*working on* 4.
How is Emma? What are your impressions of the series?
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby GeneD » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:59 am

I am making my way very slowly through FMA vol 13, which is silly because it is not exactly a long read.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Atria35 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:05 am

Baby and Me 4-6- Soooo cute! I don't even know if I have the words to describe how warm and fuzzy this makes me feel. I mean, it's not the same as Yotsuba, there is drama (family, neighbors, friends) involved, but that makes the good moments even sweeter.
Atria35

Postby blkmage » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:07 pm

Psycho Staff is a manga by Mizukami Satoshi who is the guy who did The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer. And, well, this is basically a one-volume version of that, in terms of themes and general plot similarities.

Also, I liked The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer, go read it.
blkmage

Postby Atria35 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:17 am

Sand Chronicles 2-3- even more drama. Some of it is cliched, some of it is true to life, and some of it is funny.
Atria35

Postby mkalv » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:52 pm

I just read the first three volumes of Rurouni Kenshin, and I am enjoying it so far.

I also just read volume 2 of Pokemon Adventures and volume 33 of Bleach.
No pain, no gain. I would prefer no pain, but still gain.
mkalv

Postby Atria35 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:11 pm

Baby and Me 7-8- I like how this is moving away from soley depicting how the boys are dealing with having no mom- it's also bringing in the dad's POV and what he's doing with his life and dealing with work and kids.

Sand Chronicles 4-5- moving in interesting directions. Will Shika ever come to peace with herself and her family? Will her brother? And how will they deal with unrequited love?
Atria35

Postby AnimeGirl » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:02 pm

Read "Oshiete Kudasai" by Ki Hiwatari for the second time, mainly for the sake of reviewing purposes. Rather amusing read, I love Ki-sama's oneshots. <333
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby blkmage » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:42 pm

3 Gatsu no Lion is a manga that's currently being serialized by Umino Chika, the mangaka of Honey and Clover. 3 Gatsu no Lion is about a a high school kid who's currently a pro shogi player. This is not a manga about shogi. It's actually a surprisingly heavy manga. In terms of general feel, I'd say it feels like Hourou Musuko, with some of the more depressing moments in the vein of Oyasumi Punpun. It took me a while to warm up to Honey and Clover, but I got into this one way quicker.
blkmage

Postby Atria35 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:56 pm

Read Game Plan 1 and 2 (all)- I was not impressed. It's still a step in the right direction, but what this suffered from the most was the author was very fond of telling and not showing large parts of the story and it was very rushed. Some Christian themes were too obvious for my tastes (I do NOT need to be told about how Christians are God's chosen about 2 times in 2 volumes). And there were some other issues that I had with it. But it did make a decent storyline. With a little spit and polish it could have made a 7/10 on my scale. As it is, it's more a 4.5/10.
Atria35

Postby blkmage » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:28 pm

Mirai Nikki is finished! It started off fairly Death Note-esque, but with a crazy girl who was yandere for the main character who was kind of a whiny wuss until fairly late into the manga. Those two aspects provided a fair chunk of entertainment. It kind of went off the rails as the endgame was approaching and we got weird parallel universes and other lolwut turn of events, so the last part is kind of incomprehensible.
blkmage

Postby Atria35 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:44 pm

Baby and Me 11-18 (complete)- Sooo cute, soo interesting, and the ending really had me going, there! I think that I'd rate it a 9/10, because some events are kinda out there.
Atria35

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:36 pm

Following Christmas, I have read

FMA 4-6
Ouran HSHC 4-5
Death Note 3
Tegami Bachi 1-2

I also read the omnibus for Avalon Web of Magic: the Warlock Diaries, an American manga (I think) that's an off-shoot of a book series. (Not one of my favorite book series or manga, but my little sister read and liked it. XD)
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby wildpurplechild » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:16 pm

Bought and read Code Geass vol 1. I hope it's good, the first one was pretty cool.
Heads up, I don't go on this site much these days...
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

Postby ST. Attidude » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:29 pm

Just finished One Piece vols. 5 and 6.
ST. Attidude

Postby Atria35 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:02 pm

Pretear: The New Legend of Snow White- I get the feeling that the anime is better. It's definitely a good take on the Magical Girl genre, but the characters don't get enough time, the story is rushed, and some things go a little unexplained. Still on this side of good, though.

Rurouni Kenshin
11-12
Atria35

Postby blkmage » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:50 pm

Seiyuu Ka~! is a shoujo manga by Minami Maki, who wrote and drew Special A. It's about a girl who goes to seiyuu school to become a seiyuu. Wikipedia claims that it has input from professional seiyuu training associations and stuff to make what's presented realistic. I actually can't speak to that, but I can say that this series is pretty dumb.

The cast in Special A was able to play off each other pretty well. Seiyuu ka~!, on the other hand, just seems random and haphazard. It was incredibly hard to read and keep track of what was going on. The characters don't work well together at all and every single one behaves extremely erratically. This entire series makes no sense.
blkmage

Postby AnimeGirl » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:21 pm

I read volume 28 of "Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles" about 3 times already I think XD!!! I absolutely loved it, though the ending was bittersweet to say the least. But hopeful, still, and open for a sequel I hope! Knowing CLAMP, they'll probably continue their story possibly in future works, or maybe in later volumes of xxxHOLiC. We'll have to see!
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Blacklight » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Wasn't recent, but I read vol. 1 of Monster. I wanted to continue it, but the library's only got volume one.

Once again, I forgot which volumes of InuYasha and Fullmetal Alchemist I left off of, but want to go back and continue them. I'll try and resume them, though.
[color="Blue"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color]
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="DeepSkyBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color][/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Pink"]chatbot 03:36 - Blacklight asks, are you sane?
My answer: It's hard to say, really.[/color]
Blacklight

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews