Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Atria35 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:07 pm

dothackzero (post: 1436243) wrote:So what anime should I try out if I liked these anime?

xxxHolic (the companion series to Tsubasa- I also recommend reading the manga for Tsubasa, it was a lot better)
Jing King of Bandits
Claymore
Eureka Seven
Pandora Hearts
Monster
Atria35

Postby Falx » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:41 pm

MightiMidget (post: 1436056) wrote:EDIT FOR LESS AWFUL WORDING: Is Blassreiter spiritual sci-fi, or techie sci-fi? And if it's spiritual, how spiritual? :) Does it have anything related to pagan rituals? In addition, sexual content and language heads up would be appreciated as well. =)

Well I haven't seen it but from the bit of info I could scrape together the "demons" appear to be technological. Specifically they get ugly from nanites. Saw some symbols in circles... but one of the symbols was pi, so it was obviously a case of :thumbsup: sucking.

As for the rest I can't really say as I didn't see it, but one female main character seems to have struck it big at a wonder-bra fire-sale and wants everyone to know, if you know what I mean.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby Falx » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:54 pm

Atria35 (post: 1436244) wrote:xxxHolic (the companion series to Tsubasa- I also recommend reading the manga for Tsubasa, it was a lot better)
Jing King of Bandits
Claymore
Eureka Seven
Pandora Hearts
Monster

Dennou Coil
Baccano!
Durarara!!
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Rahxephon
Macross Frontier
Kara no Kyoukai:The Garden of Sinners (7 movie series they're all out already)
Darker Than Black seasons 1 and 2 plus the OVA series which links the two.
Sword of The Stranger (a must see on bluray)
Kino's Journey
Noir
Ghost in The Shell season's one and two
Full Metal Panic seaons one and two, especially two.
Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu! (comedy series, side-splitting)
FLCL (Fooly Cooly)
Gunslinger Girl (only the first season, second is a war-crime against TV)
Read Or Die: The TV (also check out the original OVA)
Akira
Gun x Sword (highly underrated series)
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Falx

Postby MightiMidget » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:41 am

Falx (post: 1436255) wrote:Well I haven't seen it but from the bit of info I could scrape together the "demons" appear to be technological. Specifically they get ugly from nanites. Saw some symbols in circles... but one of the symbols was pi, so it was obviously a case of :thumbsup: sucking.

As for the rest I can't really say as I didn't see it, but one female main character seems to have struck it big at a wonder-bra fire-sale and wants everyone to know, if you know what I mean.

LOL. Alright, thankie. I will probably end up just giving it a try. :lol:
MightiMidget

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:10 pm

dothackzero (post: 1436243) wrote:So what anime should I try out if I liked these anime?

Naruto
Bleach
One Piece
Dragon Ball Z
D.Gray-Man
Yu Yu Hakusho
Ruroni Kenshin
Fairy Tail
Inu Yasha
Tsubasa Chronicle
Hunter x Hunter
Katekyo Hitman Reborn!
Sekirei(Don't really care about the ecchi, I'm watch it mostly for the overall story.)
.hack// series
Seitokai Yakuindomo
Sora no Otoshimono(Heaven's Lost Property)(Don't really care about the ecchi, I'm watch it mostly for the overall story.)
Tears to Tiara
Soul Eater
Koukaku no Regios(Chrome Shelled Regios)
Tenjou Tenge
Busou Renkin
Full metal Panic
Full Metal Alchemist
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Noein
Trigun
FLCL
Ragnarok
Law of Ueki
Flame of Recca
Death Note
Blood+
Blue Gender
Peace Maker Kurogane
Black Cat
Mai-HiME
Mai-Otome
The following are a bit darker, a little bit more mature in terms of storyline than most you have listed, but there is enough on your list to warrant these suggestions:

Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Giant Robo, Casshern Sins, Gungrave, Fantastic Children, Eden of the East.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby dothackzero » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:07 pm

Naruto
Bleach
One Piece
Dragon Ball Z
D.Gray-Man
Yu Yu Hakusho
Ruroni Kenshin
Fairy Tail
Inu Yasha
Tsubasa Chronicle
Hunter x Hunter
Katekyo Hitman Reborn!
Sekirei(Don't really care about the ecchi, I'm watch it mostly for the overall story.)
.hack// series
Seitokai Yakuindomo
Sora no Otoshimono(Heaven's Lost Property)(Don't really care about the ecchi, I'm watch it mostly for the overall story.)
Tears to Tiara
Soul Eater
Koukaku no Regios(Chrome Shelled Regios)
Tenjou Tenge
Busou Renkin
Full metal Panic
Full Metal Alchemist
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Noein
Trigun
FLCL
Ragnarok
Law of Ueki
Flame of Recca
Death Note
Blood+
Blue Gender
Peace Maker Kurogane
Black Cat
Mai-HiME
Mai-Otome
Blassreiter

Any good action/comedies that are something like on my list. I just finished Blassreiter, and Ergo Proxy so I'm looking for something a lighter.
dothackzero

Postby MightiMidget » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:47 pm

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann? I wasn't a big fan of it, but most people really like it. It's a fun action/comedy/giant robots, though it does have depth eventually.
MightiMidget

Postby Nate » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:47 pm

Since you mentioned you don't mind ecchi and only care about overall story, then I highly recommend the action/comedy series Tenchi Muyo, as well as its sister series Tenchi Universe. I find Muyo to be better and more enjoyable than Universe, but they're both good shows.

Another excellent action/comedy series is El-Hazard. Just stay away from the TV version of that called Wanderers of El-Hazard. The TV series is well...really bad.

EDIT: Oh geez! How could I forget about one of the kings of action/comedy, Ranma 1/2. That's a fantastic show.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Ally-Ann » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:00 pm

I'm looking for some more anime and manga that's in the fantasy or comedy genre. I don't want something that has a lot of suggestive content in it if I can help it. And I don't want too much foul language (nothing beyond d*** or h***). Here's what I've watched and stuck with.

-- Shugo Chara!
-- Squid Girl
-- Lucky Star
-- Earl and Fairy (Hakushaku to Yosei)
-- Naruto
Ally-Ann

Postby Atria35 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:31 pm

Ally-Ann (post: 1441939) wrote:I'm looking for some more anime and manga that's in the fantasy or comedy genre. I don't want something that has a lot of suggestive content in it if I can help it. And I don't want too much foul language (nothing beyond d*** or h***). Here's what I've watched and stuck with.

-- Shugo Chara!
-- Squid Girl
-- Lucky Star
-- Naruto

One that I love but barely anyone watches is Daa! Daa! Daa! - it would fall neatly into the kinds of fantasy/comedy you like.
Kimi ni Todoke is also a great one! Very sweet, fairly funny.
Yumeiro Pâtissière, Full Moon wo Sagashite (manga version of this one), and Fruits Basket (anime is good, but far shorter than the manga) would also be good choices.
Atria35

Postby airichan623 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:00 pm

Ally-Ann (post: 1441939) wrote:I'm looking for some more anime and manga that's in the fantasy or comedy genre. I don't want something that has a lot of suggestive content in it if I can help it. And I don't want too much foul language (nothing beyond d*** or h***). Here's what I've watched and stuck with.

-- Shugo Chara!
-- Squid Girl
-- Lucky Star
-- Naruto

I agree w/ Atria on Kimi ni Todoke. Clean, funny, and absolutely adorable. I also recommend Azumanga Daioh (if u liked lucky star)- :)

ADDING: Tsubasa Reservior Chronicle (the series)
Princess Tutu -a personal fav

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby Falx » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:32 pm

airichan623 (post: 1441974) wrote:I agree w/ Atria on Kimi ni Todoke. Clean, funny, and absolutely adorable. I also recommend Azumanga Daioh (if u liked lucky star)- :)

K-On! (seasons 1 & 2)
Sora no Woto
Fairy Tail
Working!!
ARIA (All three seasons, seriously this is the best show you've never heard of)
Dennou Coil
Haibane Renmei
Clannad & Clannad After Story
Sketchbook Full ColourS
GA: Gejiutsuka Art Design Class
Hidamari Sketch
Ichigo Mashimaro
Kamichu!
Minami-ke (season 1 and three, avoid season 2 like the plague)
Seirei no Moribito
Toradora

Falx

Postby Ally-Ann » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:20 pm

Thank ya very much!
Ally-Ann

Postby Midori » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:25 pm

Falx wrote:Toradora
This is my recommendation. Oh, and
Falx wrote:Sora no Woto
which is where my current avatar is from.
Midori

Postby Roz » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:54 pm

Hello CAA! I'm looking for an anime that is serious and dramatic but also has a (at least mostly) happy ending. A heavy helping of funny is a plus, but not essential.

I'm looking for something like Last Exile, Scrapped Princess, Toradora, Twelve Kingdoms, Haibane Renmei, Seirei no Moribito, Noir, Clannad and Planetes. Something a little more depth than like Dirty Pair tv series, ex-Driver and You're Under Arrest(at least after the ova series)! Under a 15 or 16 age rating (depending on what the rating is for, I'm not very tolerant of weird sexual or religious stuff) would be good. Can be sci-fi or slice of life, whatever. I'm more interested in characters and plot.

Or an anime that is pretty much all out funny, like Azumanga Daioh, Lucky Star, K-On or Minami-Ke.

Any suggestions? Thanks so much!
Roz

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:15 pm

Ouran High School Host Club.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Atria35 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:34 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1443262) wrote:Ouran High School Host Club.

THIS

Dennou Coil is also great- the first half is a little more happy-go-lucky, but the second half buckles down for a more serious story.
Escaflowne (the only objectionable religious content is that the main occasionally uses tarot cards to ... well, I never really got what they did.)
Seirei no Moribito - slice of life mixed with some fantasy. Can be pretty serious, but does have some very lighthearted moments. In-depth in the way that you describe.
Tetsuwan Birdy Decode- a mixture of some great humor and serious moments. Birdy does have a rather scandelous outfit on, but that's it in terms of sexual content.
Atria35

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:46 pm

Durarara!! meets your description of drama+deep plot+funny perfectly, though it does have one scene of female nudity in episode four (not fan-servicey though; she is having an operation).

Also check out Tegami Bachi and Space Pirate Captain Harlock if you haven't. They also fit the bill nicely.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Falx » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:05 pm

Roz (post: 1443256) wrote:Hello CAA! I'm looking for an anime that is serious and dramatic but also has a (at least mostly) happy ending. A heavy helping of funny is a plus, but not essential.

I'm looking for something like Last Exile, Scrapped Princess, Toradora, Twelve Kingdoms, Haibane Renmei, Seirei no Moribito, Noir, Clannad and Planetes. Something a little more depth than like Dirty Pair tv series, ex-Driver and You're Under Arrest(at least after the ova series)! Under a 15 or 16 age rating (depending on what the rating is for, I'm not very tolerant of weird sexual or religious stuff) would be good. Can be sci-fi or slice of life, whatever. I'm more interested in characters and plot.

Or an anime that is pretty much all out funny, like Azumanga Daioh, Lucky Star, K-On or Minami-Ke.

Any suggestions? Thanks so much!

Sketchbook FullcolourS has much deeper characters than you would at first assume.
Ichigo Mashimaro could be worth a shot.
Shinryaku! Ika Musume is quite funny.
As is Soredemo Machi Wa Mawatteiru.
Baccano! is also quite good, better than Durarara!! even and it's by the same people.
Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu is really good, if a little weird. Even after the third season I was still surprised whenever Guu did something epically disturbing yet somehow hilarious. (Disturbing in the kinda scary sense.)
Kino no Tabi is as deep as Haibane Renmei in it's themes and plots but not even nearly as nice and fluffy.
Noein is an amazing piece of Sci-fi.
Sora no Woto is a textbook example of good world building and has a much deeper plot going on than initially evident.
Sora no Manimani is another great comedy series.
Working!! isn't as good but still quite funny.
Summer Wars and Sword of The Stranger are fantastic movies you need to see.

Falx

Postby steenajack » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:24 pm

Hey guys! I really want to get into the steampunk genre, but I have no idea where to start. Are there any anime titles that fit this genre you would reccomend to me? And yes, I've seen Steamboy and loved it. XD!

Content:
Violence: I really don't like too much blood or gore, but so far I'm able to take the violence of Twelve Kingdoms and FMA (first series) and possibly Tsubasa Chronicles.

Sexual content: I'm most sensative here. I don't want to have to see any sex scenes or raunchy fanservice or too many inappropriate jokes. (also, no yaoi or yuri please.) I can take some very LIGHT jokes and LIGHT fanservice (although I prefer to have none of this one), such as that in +Anima or Princess Nine.

Nudity: I don't want to see anything detailed. If there is a non-detailed magical transformation portrayed in a non-sexual way, I'd be fine.....maybe. Basically though, I don't want to see anything scandelous. ^^; I can also take immodest clothing so long as it's portrayed in a tasteful matter. Lust from FMA is an example of what I can handle.

Language: I'm fine with minor swears. But I really hate f-bombs, and s-bombs get pretty tedious after awhile. I also really dislike it when they use the Lord's name as a swear word.....How bout' this: Nothing past what I've heard in FMA (english dub, first series).

Religious content: This one bothers me the very LEAST. I can take just about anything here, so long as they are not outright trying to make fun of my faith or anything like that. But for the most part, religious themes don't really bother me....at all. At least, not so far. I've yet to come across anything that I felt REALLY blasphemed my faith. Spirited Away, FMA (first series), Twelve Kingdoms, Haibane Renmei, and anything by Hayao Miyazaki I can take no-brainer. Avatar: The Last Airbender is one of my favorites, as is Mushi-shi. I reviewed Origin: Spirits of the Past.....I could go one. Bottom line: religious themes never really bother me.

So, basically I'm looking for some GOOD Steampunk that can fit into the content. Any help would be awesome.
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby Falx » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:29 am

It's pretty old and I don't know much about the content, but how about Sakura Wars?

Man I love giving recommendations but you stumped me with this one, I don't know many steampunk series :)

Falx

Postby Falx » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:39 am

Alright, Kino's Journey has some elements of Steampunk to it, but I wouldn't really classify it as such.

Extremely good though.

Falx

Postby Atria35 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:14 am

steenajack (post: 1444435) wrote:So, basically I'm looking for some GOOD Steampunk that can fit into the content. Any help would be awesome.

I'm seconding Falx's recommendation of Kino's Journey.

Last Exile is definitely steampunk- there is a point at which two of the characters are assumed to have sexual relations, but you discover in flashback nothing of the sort happened.
Howl's Moving Castle
Nausica of the Valley of the Wind
Steamboy (okay, I don't really recommend this one, but it's Steampunk and would fit your criteria. I didn't like it, though)
Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water
Future Boy Conan
Atria35

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:24 am

steenajack (post: 1444435) wrote:So, basically I'm looking for some GOOD Steampunk
Atria35 (post: 1444506) wrote:Last Exile is definitely steampunk
Atria35 is correct.

Last Exile is indeed steampunk. No question about it.
Fish and Chips

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:41 am

Fish and Chips (post: 1444543) wrote:Atria35 is correct.

Last Exile is indeed steampunk. No question about it.
You couldn't resist could you :grin: xp?
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:47 am

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1444545) wrote:You couldn't resist could you :grin: xp?
And I absolutely will not stop.
Fish and Chips

Postby steenajack » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:39 pm

Thank you guys so much!
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:14 am

So guys, after almost two months of not watching anime, I've decided I'd like to watch something new. Here's my MAL if you need to know what I want to watch. I'm not picky about genre, I'll watch anything if it's good.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Falx » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:48 am

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1444752) wrote:So guys, after almost two months of not watching anime, I've decided I'd like to watch something new. Here's my MAL if you need to know what I want to watch. I'm not picky about genre, I'll watch anything if it's good.

I see you liked Kamichu! So you will most definitely like ARIA.

Dennou Coil is something everyone MUST watch, it's written down somewhere.

Sketchbook is also one of the all time great slice-of-life series.

Finally of the well known great series you haven't seen yet, there is Eve no Jikan. I suggest the movie version as it is much better than the original OVA.

Falx

Postby Atria35 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:05 am

^ What Falx said. I would really recommend Dennou Coil and Eve no Jikan first and foremost.

You should start up Monster again, too.
Atria35

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews