Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Falx » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:05 am

Wow... I only know that exists because it was referenced in Lucky Star.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby Falx » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:10 am

Anime News Network rates it as "Objectionable content: Mild (mild bad language and/or bloodless violence)"

Can't comment on the bad religion, but since it is a sports anime, I believe the worst you can expect might be a visit to a Shinto shrine.

I wouldn't expect nudity, especially considering the age.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Falx

Postby impact777 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:25 am

Ah ok. Thank you Falx! :)
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
impact777

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:05 pm

Hey everybody... I'm looking for some anime I might like.

Basically, I like anime that's either emotional and/or somewhat "dark" and "gothic". I also like to have action, but certain action series are just too long for me (I like the premise of all the "big three" shonen titles, but Bleach is the only one I find interesting enough to stick with for very long).

These are my top ten..

1. D.N.Angel
2. Tsubasa Chronicle/xxxHOLiC
3. Bleach
4. Vampire Knight
5. Kanon 2006
6. Wolf’s Rain
7. Fullmetal Alchemist
8. Shugo Chara! (this is an odd one out for me)
9. Rurouni Kenshin
10. Ouran High School Host Club (the other odd one out, but does have some pretty emotional moments too)

I prefer shonen and seinen over shojo most of the time. I've never seen josei so I don't really know how I'd feel about it... doesn't sound like something I'd be into though.

Series I've started but haven't seen enough of yet to decide on: Ergo Proxy, Soul Eater, Darker Than Black, Pandora Hearts.

Series I like but aren't in my top ten:
- Cardcaptor Sakura (was my favorite magical girl anime until Shugo Chara!, I love Sakura and Syaoran - their presence is another reason why I love Tsubasa)
- Angelic Layer (something cute and very emotional I'd watch every now and then, but the premise isn't "me" enough to go into my top ten)
- Sailor Moon (fun but the title character is too annoying, as is her daughter. Some of the senshi aren't all that well developed either... I rather enjoyed Saturn, Pluto, and Tuxedo Mask though (best three characters in the series by far!).)
- Fruits Basket (would be in my top ten if it wasn't for the abrupt ending)
- One Piece (amazingly creative but way too long)
- Naruto (same as opinion as One Piece).

Series I do not like:
- D.Gray-man (I felt too "iffy" about the spiritual aspect of it.)
- Fairy Tail (The guys in this series are cool; the girls in this series are exceptionally aggravating.)
- Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch (I do like the emotional aspects of it, and it's a cute romance... but the characters are too shallow. Rina's the only nicely done character out of the girls, and I rather like the guys but they aren't touched upon as much. Luchia's not very well developed at all, and while Hanon is her character's very annoying. I'll admit that I halfway like it at times for the emotional aspects, though)
- Tokyo Mew Mew (It's cute but it's just a carbon copy of Sailor Moon with endangered animals to change things up a bit... and now has even more annoying and bland characters. The only good characters are Zakuro and Ryou.)
- Wedding Peach (By far my least favorite magical girl series. It's just a cuter and more girly version of Sailor Moon... Their attacks and transformations aren't very exciting at all. The DX attacks and transformations were much better, and I probably would've liked the series if they had those in the series too.)
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Atria35 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:15 pm

^ @ Mysn

FMA: Brotherhood if you aren't already watching it
Pandora Hearts
Hellsing Ultimate (this I'm not sure whether you'd care for- it's good if you just let your brain go, but it does have vampires, nazis, and protestants vs. catholics subtext because of the vampire hunting catholic priests)
Rainbow
Darker Than Black
To The Terra (tv series, not movie)
Jyu Oh Sei
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Atria35

Postby Falx » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:00 pm

I suggest Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, it's a mecha action series pretending to be a magical girl series.

Of the shows you haven't decided yet: Ergo Proxy is very good, but you need to really pay attention to the plot if you want to have the ending make sense without a rewatch. Soul Eater is a fantastic series, but the ending is a bit weak. Still more than worth it. Darker Than Black is a very good action series whose only flaw is that the first season takes just a bit too long to develop an overarching plot.

There is no anime series that is more emotional than Clannad. None.

Also for action, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is almost universally well liked. Eureka Seven as well, it's a fantastic story with some very dark moments and one of the best romances in anime. FANTASTIC music as well.

Falx

Postby MightiMidget » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:04 pm

Let's see...

Place Promised in Our Early Days -- very emotional.
Hell Girl -- is dark/gothic, and a bit emotional, though I have /not/ finished it yet.
Trinity Blood -- Is gothic. Not sure how you would feel about the whole Church vs. Vampires bit though. And the first half of it is kind of boring.
Claymore -- Gothic/Dark/Emotional, though Raki gets really irritating he does go away for about half the series.
Clannad -- is very emotional
07-Ghost -- is on Vampire Knight level of angsty emotion, though it is another one that has a church and is. weird. church-wise. (I have also read people referring to it as shounen-ai, which I do not believe it to be at all? But that's just an fyi.)
Black Cat -- it is oh so cheesy, but if you love D.N.Angel, and with Atria's Jyu-Oh-Sei recommendation? I think this fits in there. It is emotional, it's crazy, but it's fun. and has moments of gothic.
Serial Experiments Lain -- gothic sci-fi, and only 13 episodes, so a quick watch.
Witch Hunter Robin -- I do not like this. I found it mind-numbingly boring, but I did finish it and it is gothic/dark, but also? Clean! Only religious thing in it is that Robin is a Catholic.
Monster -- emotion? Totally.

And Ergo Proxy is very gothic, followed by Pandora Hearts, Soul Eater is chipper goth and Darker Than Black is...dark, though not sure if I'd say gothic.

As for things airing?
Legend of Legendary Heroes -- the first episode is ridiculous, but after that it gets dark, and emotion-ridden.
Shiki -- Dark, Gothic, there should be no spiritual issues with this. It's one of the cleanest anime I've seen. There is a witch doctor later on, but no one takes her seriously.

And...that's all I got. ^_^
MightiMidget

Postby steenajack » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:24 pm

Mushi-shi! Go watch it ASAP! It's streaming legally on Funimation's site and Anime News Network. If you do decide to watch it, consider it your first Josei title.
It's quite a relaxing anime. It's episodic so there's no big overall plot, but each and every episode is quite amazing in my opinion. Basically it's about a man (Ginko) who is a Mushi Master. He travels around to find these creatures called Mushi. It's hard to explain what these creatures are, sometimes they seem spiritual but other times they're like fungi who can think. Each episode is what I would call "deep and reflective thinking", but at the same time it's relaxing.
Highly reccomended. And if you like dubs, you'll recognize a few voices in here. Ginko is played by Travis Willingham (Roy Mustang) for example.

Content: As far as I've seen (10 out of 26 episodes) there is no sexual content/nudity whatsoever. Closest would be elements of romance between minor characters. That's it. If religious content bothers you, well it doesn't come into play often. It varies episode to episode. Like I said, there is no telling if Mushi are spiritual or microscopic beings. They're just there. I guess the worse I've seen is when there is a girl who is considered the "living god" or whatever. Ginko, of course, doesn't believe it by his tone of voice, and he's right, she isn't a god (duh! lol). It turns out to be something else mushi-related that I won't spoil for you. Violence....I'd say this is a walk in the park compared to FMA. I've only seen two intances of blood. One is a bit more intense than the other (a man's chest is sliced and he bleeds and coughs up blood in episode 4. In another episode, it is implied that a man is beaten to death. You see his body that has streams of blood all over it, but not his face so much. This is also the same episode that contains the "living god" girl.) Swearing is mild, nothing more than a d and an h here and there. That's pretty much it, but I shall warn you: This show can get fairly creepy at times. Think Spirited Away only...creepier. lol XD! But, it definetly has a darker tone that you may like.)

I would also like to reccomend Haibane Renmei. They have a review for it here, but concerning spiritual content: There is one episode where the characters find a book about "how everything began". There are pages missing so they try to fill the rest in. Some dislike how the origin of the Haibane was mentioned in that scene (something about God falling asleep and making a mistake or whatever). This may disturb some people, but to tell you the truth the ending was spectacular. The anime seems light hearted at first, but after episode 6 it quickly becomes darker....I won't spoil it for you, but I still highly reccomend it. Very emotional series.
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby ich1990 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:19 pm

mysngoeshere56 (post: 1430762) wrote:Hey everybody... I'm looking for some anime I might like.

Basically, I like anime that's either emotional and/or somewhat "dark" and "gothic". I also like to have action, but certain action series are just too long for me (I like the premise of all the "big three" shonen titles, but Bleach is the only one I find interesting enough to stick with for very long).

People seem to be giving you a lot of widely varying recommendations, so I will just boil it down to three, easy-to-pick series:

If you can handle the content (CAA review has specifics), watch Monster. It is dark, emotional, and one of all around one of the best series ever.

Then, watch 5cm Per Second. It is less than an hour long and is the biggest emotional sucker punch I have ever experienced. Fantastic in every way.

Finally, if you haven't seen FMA: Brotherhood, go ahead and do so ASAP. It is like the original Fullmetal Alchemist only a lot better. The first thirteen episodes are recap episodes, so be patient when plowing through those. It gets better after that, I promise.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:08 pm

Thanks for the recommendations everyone! I've heard of a few of these before but haven't ever watched, others I've never even heard of... This should keep me busy for awhile. Feel free to keep more coming if anything else is thought of. And again, thanks!
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby A88mph » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:13 pm

(my results for this will probobly be zero, but lets try anyway.)

:rant:

I am a bit strict with what I look for in an anime, but I like good plots without everything be uber sexualized, violent, gorey or bloody. (my feelings on anime is that words can be ignored, images cannot)

The anime that fits this best to me is Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's, Full moon wo sagashite (I think I spelled that wrong) and Shugo Chara (although SC has it bad moments imo, but It is like one time moments that don't hinder the plot, so I watch it anyway). One Piece fits this as well, but its a tight fit, the plot is the big reason I like it, but the truck loads of fluff drag it down:shake:.

Thank you for helping me.
A88mph

Postby Falx » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:15 am

Sounds like the genre you like is Slice of Life.

Watch:
ARIA
Sketchbook
K-On
Azumanga Daioh

Not slice of life but still fits the criteria:
Clannad <--brilliant
Fairy Tail (similar to One Piece)
Lucky Star
Bamboo Blade
Dennou Coil < VERY good and almost unknown
Eureka Seven <-- has one or two disturbing violent scenes but that's it
Eve no Jikan <--- watch the movie version, much better quality.
GA: Gejiutska Art Design Class
Ichigo Mashimaro
Kamichu!

Will add more later.

Falx

Postby Falx » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:51 am

Kimi ni Todoke <-- a nice romance
Minami-ke <---seasons 1 and 3, season 2 is rubbish.
Noein <-- VERY good
Seirei no Moribito <--- amazing
Soro no Woto <---mostly slice of life

Falx

Postby Atria35 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:44 am

What Falx said. Those are all great series.

I'm also adding
Tamayura (airing right now, it's only 4 episodes long)
Card Captor Sakura (NOT Cardcaptors, that's the americanized, butchered version though there are some fans of it on the boards. I don't recommend it personally, though)
Detective Conan (these are murder mysteries, that are a lot like Murder She Wrote in the amount of violence there is- that is to say, very little dramatic violence is shown, and there's very little blood)
Victorian Romance Emma
Fruits Basket
Haibane Renmei
Ginban Kaleidoscope
Kemono no Souja Erin
Lovely Complex
Mushishi
Pale Cocoon
Princess Tutu
Summer Wars
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Atria35

Postby steenajack » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:51 am

I would also like to add Hikaru no Go. If you like Yu-gi-oh, you'll LOVE this.
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby ich1990 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:32 am

I will throw some movies in here:

5cm Per Second (romance/philosophical)
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (slice of life/sci-fi)
The Castle of Cagliostro (adventure/caper)

All are perfectly clean, with the exception of the last one, which has a little violence and mild profanity.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:11 pm

A88mph (post: 1432960) wrote:good plots without everything be uber sexualized, violent, gorey or bloody
The Vision of Escaflowne
Fantastic Children
Heroman which is streaming legally on Crunchyroll
The Twelve Kingdoms
Infinite Ryvius
Romeo X Juliet which is streaming in lots of places
Tetsujin 28
Giant Robo

I think all of the above are good shows and also fit your content criteria. Read some summaries, maybe a few reviews and see if any look like your speed.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby A88mph » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:13 pm

Thanks for all your recomendations, but I did forget to add one key factor in my requirments.

I hate anything with any form of yaoi and yuri. even if it is mention in the slighest of forms. (example, cardcaptor has a gay character if i'm correct, so I will not watch that.)

with that mentioned, please tell me witch animes to cross off your lists.

thank you again.
A88mph

Postby Atria35 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:16 pm

A88mph (post: 1433134) wrote:Thanks for all your recomendations, but I did forget to add one key factor in my requirments.

I hate anything with any form of yaoi and yuri. even if it is mention in the slighest of forms. (example, cardcaptor has a gay character if i'm correct, so I will not watch that.).

Technically, CCS has two gay characters (her brother and her bro's best friend)- though it's one of the least obvious homosexual relationships I've ever seen..... ever. I actually didn't even realize until the last 20 episodes that it was even there ><"

But all the others that I recommended don't have any sort of homosexuality. Well, I might be wrong- Detective Conan has over 500 episodes, so I'm sure that there are one or two episodes involving homosexual characters, but in the 160 that I've seen, I didn't see/notice any. The mains aren't homosexual. But the others I recommended, no homosexuality.
Atria35

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:32 pm

A88mph (post: 1433134) wrote:with that mentioned, please tell me witch animes to cross off your lists
Zilch
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Falx » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:22 am

Ehhh...

Sora no Woto has some subtext if you really squint and stand on your head while watching it. Honestly it's only there if you want it to be there.

And Bamboo Blade has a lesbian stalker but nothing comes of it, she's just there to stand in the background acting creepy.

Falx

Postby Midori » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:40 am

I honestly don't think Toya and Yuki in Cardcaptor Sakura are homosexual. I think they're just good friends. I suppose it may depend on the interpretation of the viewer, but that's how I interpret it.
Midori

Postby Atria35 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:47 am

Midori (post: 1433591) wrote:I honestly don't think Toya and Yuki in Cardcaptor Sakura are homosexual. I think they're just good friends. I suppose it may depend on the interpretation of the viewer, but that's how I interpret it.

Well, the thing is, Toya admits he loves Yukito, and Yukito admits he loves Toya. Not in so many words, but they do. So while for 71 of the 72 episodes only has it as up to the interpretation of the viewer, they do have that one episode where Yukito admits his "number one person" is Sakura's brother.
Atria35

Just wondering...

Postby firestorm » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:03 pm

Is there any anime where the style is similar to something like old 1940's pulp-fiction action comics? You know, stuff like stuff like "Dick Tracy", "the Rocketeer", Or "Sky Captain and the World of Tommorrow" (I know Sky Captain is not a comicbook, but you get the point XD) I'm not really talking steampunk, though 2 of my examples would probably be a derivative of it, but rather an anime set and drawn in something similar to how people dressed and looked in the 1930's and 1940's. Is there anything like that?
Come check my facebook fan page here If you want to see some great photography and art!

I am currently on my 4th draft of the script for Canvas! Canvas is a watercolor animated short about how everything declares of a Creator and how everything happens for a reason. If anyone would like to help by sending me resources on watercolor or animation it would be greatly appreciated!

I am also on my 1st draft of a short live-action Romcom called "Behind Every Good Man! Behind Every Good Man is about a Bride-to-be, Evelyn, who must stop her Mother-in-Law, Pamela, from living her dream wedding through Evelyn's. Along the way she learns what it means to be a Woman of Integrity today! If anyone wants to help let me know!

Location: Lovin the Miami Heat. And I ain't talking about the basketball team :3

Postby Tsukuyomi » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:16 pm

Merged into Anime Recommendations ^^ You may get more results this way ^^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Atria35 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:26 pm

firestorm (post: 1434853) wrote:Is there any anime where the style is similar to something like old 1940's pulp-fiction action comics? You know, stuff like stuff like "Dick Tracy", "the Rocketeer", Or "Sky Captain and the World of Tommorrow" (I know Sky Captain is not a comicbook, but you get the point XD) I'm not really talking steampunk, though 2 of my examples would probably be a derivative of it, but rather an anime set and drawn in something similar to how people dressed and looked in the 1930's and 1940's. Is there anything like that?

The only thing I can think of, and that's with clothes from the 20's, is Chrono Crusade.
Atria35

Postby Falx » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:44 pm

Baccano?

Full Metal Alchemist is styled after the early 1900's.

Falx

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:57 pm

Tetsujin 28-go takes place just after WWII, so the characters have that look going on.

Perhaps Last Exile? I could be wrong about the era of the clothing.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby MightiMidget » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:20 am

EDIT FOR LESS AWFUL WORDING: Is Blassreiter spiritual sci-fi, or techie sci-fi? And if it's spiritual, how spiritual? :) Does it have anything related to pagan rituals? In addition, sexual content and language heads up would be appreciated as well. =)
MightiMidget

Postby dothackzero » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:44 pm

So what anime should I try out if I liked these anime?

Naruto
Bleach
One Piece
Dragon Ball Z
D.Gray-Man
Yu Yu Hakusho
Ruroni Kenshin
Fairy Tail
Inu Yasha
Tsubasa Chronicle
Hunter x Hunter
Katekyo Hitman Reborn!
Sekirei(Don't really care about the ecchi, I'm watch it mostly for the overall story.)
.hack// series
Seitokai Yakuindomo
Sora no Otoshimono(Heaven's Lost Property)(Don't really care about the ecchi, I'm watch it mostly for the overall story.)
Tears to Tiara
Soul Eater
Koukaku no Regios(Chrome Shelled Regios)
Tenjou Tenge
Busou Renkin
Full metal Panic
Full Metal Alchemist
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Noein
Trigun
FLCL
Ragnarok
Law of Ueki
Flame of Recca
Death Note