Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby steenajack » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:48 pm

Wyntre Rose (post: 1417666) wrote:I'm not sure that I'd say Black Jack is exactly clean...I know at least one episode where he is in the jungle with a group of guerrillas, I think, and is guarded by a woman who decides to sleep with him naked. As far as I remember, they only sleep, but they show her nude upper body and it's not doll-like. Also, you sometimes see inside incisions that Black Jack is making, I think - though I may be mixing that one up with the manga? In any case, not really kid friendly, at least here and there. And I've only see a small handful of episodes - Black Jack's little lisping morality pet got on my nerves and I dropped it - so tread with caution.

Thank you so much for the info on this one. Is there a way i can maybe skip that episode of that anime with the "nudity" in it? An are you reffering to the OVAs or the TV series or both? Again though, thank you so much. :D
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby steenajack » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:04 pm

CrimsonRyu17 (post: 1417673) wrote:

It is absolutely not a yuri anime. There was only one single kiss between the two main characters but it wasn't out of love or anything, it was pretty funny if you ask me. Their "love" never goes beyond sisterly love and one of them even has a fiancé. They even call themselves sisters.

I stand corrected. Sorry for the misinformation on my part. :sweat:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby Wyntre Rose » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:29 pm

steenajack (post: 1417674) wrote:Thank you so much for the info on this one. Is there a way i can maybe skip that episode of that anime with the "nudity" in it? An are you reffering to the OVAs or the TV series or both? Again though, thank you so much. :D

Black Jack is pretty episodic, so yeah, you can just skip the jungle episode. It's from the OVAs, I do believe...Pretty sure I watched it on Netflix, and I think they only have the OVAs. So the TV show might be more kid friendly, though I haven't seen those.
Wyntre Rose

Postby MightiMidget » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:53 am

CrimsonRyu17 (post: 1417673) wrote:O ho I just saw this. GRZ is a pretty awesome anime if you can handle the content. Don't mistake it as a typical exorcism Shounen by the first episode though, it's fairly misleading. Instead, it's a fairly tragic and emotional tale with fun stuff thrown in. I highly recommend it if you can handle it.

I don't remember any nudity but there were a few moments where some female characters had their chests exposed from a slash in their clothing but no breasts were shown at all. Then there's one moment where one female character's bandages from her wounds practically floated off but nothing was shown and none of it was sexual. Oh! There's a bath house scene too but it was purely innocent and not fanservice-y at all.

Expect the typical Sh-t and D-mns and maybe a B-stard here or there, I don't really remember anything over that level.

Gore wise.. hoboy. This is where some might find an issue with GRZ. It's a bloody anime and it doesn't shy away from it. Expect lots of blood, impalements, stabs, slashes, giant creatures biting into undead and some people and there was one moment where a character was being slowly killed in front of another to taunt him although it's not too graphic.

It is absolutely not a yuri anime. There was only one single kiss between the two main characters but it wasn't out of love or anything, it was pretty funny if you ask me. Their "love" never goes beyond sisterly love and one of them even has a fiancé. They even call themselves sisters.

Oh, thank you for such a wonderful review, Crimson! :) And I will probably check it out. During the day. Not now at night when gore might get to me a bit easier. :6: Thank you ever so much!

And thank you, Steena, for the review link. :D
MightiMidget

Postby steenajack » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:51 pm

Your welcome. XD!

Okay, I'm back for another recommendation. Has anyone ever seen these:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/3235/Ambassador_Magma
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=6200

If anyone has, could you give me the lowdown on the content in them. Sexual/language/violence/bad religion/nudity/fanservice/etc?

Thanks. Love & Peace!

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby Scarecrow » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:40 am

I haven't been watching anime for a while. Got burnt out there... but I'm interested again. I'm in the mood for something like When They Cry (speaking of when they cry, any ideas when the second season is gonna come to america?).

Only licensed anime please. I don't watch anything online.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Falx » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:21 am

Scarecrow (post: 1419161) wrote:I haven't been watching anime for a while. Got burnt out there... but I'm interested again. I'm in the mood for something like When They Cry (speaking of when they cry, any ideas when the second season is gonna come to america?).

Do you mean you don't watch anything you need to torrent? Or not online at all, because you can find Shiki on Crunchyroll.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby Atria35 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:13 pm

steenajack (post: 1419154) wrote:Your welcome. XD!

Okay, I'm back for another recommendation. Has anyone ever seen these:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/3235/Ambassador_Magma
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=6200

If anyone has, could you give me the lowdown on the content in them. Sexual/language/violence/bad religion/nudity/fanservice/etc?

Thanks. Love & Peace!

The Story of Saiunkoku is a really good watch. She may come there as a concubine, but there's really no nudity/sexual stuff of any kind- it's mostly about her getting involved in the politics, with the romance stuff very minimal, surprisingly. No bad religion to speak of (they do visit a shrine once or twice, but that's it), language.... I think there's a few words in there, but minor swears, not F-bombs or anything like that. Violence.... well, it's mostly politics. There isn't much violence to speak of, and what there is isn't terribly violent.

Scarecrow (post: 1419161) wrote:I haven't been watching anime for a while. Got burnt out there... but I'm interested again. I'm in the mood for something like When They Cry (speaking of when they cry, any ideas when the second season is gonna come to america?).

The second season may never come to America >.>" I want it so bad! But some problems that might be holding it up is that Higurashi was originally licensed by Geneon. Or that it hasn't sold well enough to justify bringing over the sequel.

In any case, Paranoia Agent would be a great pick, as well as Baccano! and Boogiepop Phantom. Ghost Hound, Hell Girl and Serial Experiment Lain might also interest you.
Atria35

Postby Wyntre Rose » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:29 pm

Steena, you would love Saiunkoku. Just one little thing to add to Atria's recommendation, though: the main character does also work as a...I think she's kind of like an accountant...in a local brothel, which becomes a major plot point later on. Having said that, though, never do we see the, um...ladies of the night plying their trade. Slightly skimpier clothing and heavier makeup, and maybe a mild joke or two is about as far as anything goes, if memory serves.
Wyntre Rose

Postby steenajack » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:54 pm

Thanks Atria and Wyntre. I think I shall be checking this out. Brad Swaile is in the dub and I'd like to see more of his work. :3!

One TEENY little question. The plot says that the main character guy likes to "flaunt his love for men". From what I heard, he merely just spread rumors like that or something. So, is he not actually gay? Does he do anything or say anything I possibly may need to be concerned with?

Again, thank you guys so much.

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby Wyntre Rose » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:05 pm

He's doing it to fool everyone into thinking he's gay so he doesn't have to get married. He falls head over heels for a girl almost from the start, and I think the farthest that his "gayness" goes is you see him inviting another man into his room at night...again, as part of his act. I don't think anything goes any further than that, though there are misunderstandings here and there. But they are just that - misunderstandings. Touching reunions between family members are taken this way, for example. But I don't remember there being any actual gay relationships at all. Feel free to chime in if I've forgotten anything, though, anyone. It has been a while since I saw it.
Wyntre Rose

Postby steenajack » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:40 pm

Thank you for the info on that. I think I'll be checking out a few episodes, just to see how it goes.

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby Juliannesan » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:24 am

Ohmygosh! I looove Saiunkoku. I'm pretty sure my fiance is buying my the whole first season as a wedding present. [I kinda sorta saw it on a chair he left out in the open when I went to visit his apartment. *t'sfingers & sweatdrops* Hehe...
I do love it though, its one of the greatest shows I've ever decided to see.
Now if only they'd dub the second season and make a 3rd one!

I would also recommend: La Corda D'Oro & Neo Angelique Abyss.
Great shows.
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby Juliannesan » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:46 am

Nate (post: 1409658) wrote:Anyone who doesn't like G Gundam has a black heart and no soul.

YES! Wholeheartedly agree! I loved G Gundam! and I'm not really a huge robots fan, but I really liked it a lot.
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby Atria35 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:01 pm

Juliannesan (post: 1424207) wrote:Ohmygosh! I looove Saiunkoku. I'm pretty sure my fiance is buying my the whole first season as a wedding present. [I kinda sorta saw it on a chair he left out in the open when I went to visit his apartment. *t'sfingers & sweatdrops* Hehe...

That.... is AWESOME! I wanna marry somebody who gives me anime as a wedding gift! Luckyyyyyy~! XD
Atria35

Postby Sheol777 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:23 pm

Can anyone suggest a good, character driven slice of life show that doesn't hinge on a romantic relationship?

Something in the vein of Beck or possibly Azumanga Daioh without the hilarity.
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby Atria35 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:54 pm

Sheol777 (post: 1424538) wrote:Can anyone suggest a good, character driven slice of life show that doesn't hinge on a romantic relationship?

Something in the vein of Beck or possibly Azumanga Daioh without the hilarity.

The Aria series (review on the site), Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, Sora no Woto, Sketchbook ~full colors~, Bartender, Kino's Journey Aria and Sketchbook have some humor, though- it's rather hard to find slice-of-life without humor or romance. Haibane Renmei would also fall under this if you don't mind some supernatural themes.
Atria35

Postby Juliannesan » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:28 pm

Atria35 (post: 1424532) wrote:That.... is AWESOME! I wanna marry somebody who gives me anime as a wedding gift! Luckyyyyyy~! XD

Haha, yeahhh. I know, right? ^_^
I do feel very blessed. But the anime giving part is just a cherry on top of the icing. :P

I'm not really even sure how much he even likes anime, I know he's never been that familiar with it until he met me. :P
But I think he'd like some at least, if he bothered to watch 'em. :)
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby Atria35 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:56 am

Juliannesan (post: 1424615) wrote:Haha, yeahhh. I know, right? ^_^
I do feel very blessed. But the anime giving part is just a cherry on top of the icing. :P

I'm not really even sure how much he even likes anime, I know he's never been that familiar with it until he met me. :P
But I think he'd like some at least, if he bothered to watch 'em. :)

Any guy who's willing to accept his gf's hobby without really caring about it himself is a keeper. Cool beans!
Atria35

Postby Sheol777 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:57 am

Atria35 (post: 1424543) wrote:The Aria series (review on the site), Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, Sora no Woto, Sketchbook ~full colors~, Bartender, Kino's Journey Aria and Sketchbook have some humor, though- it's rather hard to find slice-of-life without humor or romance. Haibane Renmei would also fall under this if you don't mind some supernatural themes.

Nice, thanks a lot I will check into these. The only one I have seen was Kino's Journey.
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby steenajack » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:22 pm

Could someone tell me more about the content of Super Dimensional Fortress Macross? I'm mostly curious about the sexual/nudity area, since that's the stuff that bothers me the most.

I would aslo like to ask if there are any Gundams that would fit my content preferences. (They are the same as before.)

Again, I'll appreciate any info I can get. :D

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby MasterDias » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:44 pm

In Episode 4, I think...of SDF Macross, one of the main heroines gets a full backside/rear shot as she takes a shower. And that's really about it for any sort of nudity/sexual content in the entire series. If I remember correctly, ADV rated it TV-PG, which is pretty accurate as far as I'm concerned.

Mobile Suit Gundam 00 is probably the Gundam series I would recommend. It should be easier to get into than some of the older shows, and it is devoid of any nudity or sexual content.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby steenajack » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:05 pm

Thanks MasterDias! :D This helped me quite a bit. I hear they edited that one scene out in SDF Macross in the Robotech release, is that true?

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby MasterDias » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:56 pm

Man, it's been forever since I watched Robotech...If I remember right, I think they just cut it down to where you didn't see anything but her shoulders.

But they did re-add the cut parts back into Robotech: The Extended Edition or whatever it was called...which is apparently what they are showing for free on MANGAEntertainment's Youtube/Hulu channels. So the scene is intact there.
Just so you don't get surprised or I accidentally mislead you...
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:19 pm

Yeah, the scene MD is talking about is in episode 4 and in a recap episode (you'll see it coming). Also, Roy has a, ahem, pin-up in his room. Otherwise, that's it.

I'll warn you Steena: Robotech is a different show than SDF Macross. It was a different time, and in an effort to make the show palatable for U.S. audiences, not only was the show heavily edited, but it was also fundamentally changed. I haven't actually seen Robotech: the Macross Saga (Robotech is three different, unrelated shows [SDF Macross, Super Dimensional Cavalry: Southern Cross, and Genesis Climber Mospeada] edited together into one story), but I understand that the plot and character names are substantially different from the original show. So, yeah. If you watch it, you might be forfeiting the better experience.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby steenajack » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:05 am

Thank you guys. I really appreciate this. Any chance I could skip those episodes if they are filler, if not then thank you still. :D

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:54 pm

steenajack (post: 1425798) wrote:Thank you guys. I really appreciate this. Any chance I could skip those episodes if they are filler, if not then thank you still. :D
The recap is filler, but episode 4 is pretty key. That particular scene is telegraphed pretty heavily, though, so you shouldn't have any problems avoiding it.

There is one recap episode called Phantasms I think; that is the only recap episode you need to watch. It scrambles scenes around and adds things that didn't happen in order to reflect a character's psychology and state of mind.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby steenajack » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:53 pm

Thank you so much. :D! Maybe I should give this anime a shot. It sounds pretty nice.

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby AngelicTotoro » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:07 pm

I've watched all Katekyo Hitman Reborn! episodes up to episode 146, and loved it. But I had one problem, that hell knight episode, those hell rings and Mukuro bugged me a bit. Does it ever go any further then that? Do they ever bring that stuff up again, or add anymore evil badguys? I'd really like to know before I go any further in the show.
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby impact777 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:46 am

Could somebody tell me something about the anime "Atakku no. 1" concerning nudity and "bad religion"?
I know, it's a really old one. ^^
Thanks a lot!
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
impact777

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews