Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:52 pm

KougaHane (post: 1408001) wrote:I want to watch Naruto because I own one of the games and it's really fun and makes me want to watch it but the fact that they're all 12 gets on my nerves. Will I be completely hopelessly lost if I just skip to watching Naruto Shippuuden instead, where they're all a bit older?
Yeah I would say so. The series are so similar, though, that if you don't like one I'd recommend staying away from the other as it's more of the same. But, yes, you'd miss the required foundation of character development and history that Shippuden builds on.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Nate » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:57 pm

You should start watching Naruto Shippuden right away so you can see their awesome QUALITY ANIMATION.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:45 am

I am finishing up the masterpiece that is Gurren Lagann. Any similar mecha shows in tone and scope (I know there isn't an exact match in scope; an approximation will do)? Which mecha show should I move on to post TTGL? Would prefer a currently legally streaming show. I have some ideas, but (none are streaming and) I'd like some feedback.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:12 am

Having not actually seen any of these shows I am going to mention, I'd assume Gainax's previous forays into super robot (Gunbuster and Diebuster) are ripe for viewing. The other shows I hear brought up when discussing Gurren Lagann are GaoGaiGar and some kind of Getter Robo. Gurren Lagann is kind of an homage to super robot series over the decades, so there's a lot of stuff to mine for.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:25 am

blkmage (post: 1409372) wrote:Having not actually seen any of these shows I am going to mention, I'd assume Gainax's previous forays into super robot (Gunbuster and Diebuster) are ripe for viewing. The other shows I hear brought up when discussing Gurren Lagann are GaoGaiGar and some kind of Getter Robo. Gurren Lagann is kind of an homage to super robot series over the decades, so there's a lot of stuff to mine for.
I have heard all of the above mentioned as well. The Gunbuster stuff, I think, may have too much explicit nudity/fan-service for me. GaoGaiGar is supposed to be similar in scope, but not in tone, though I want to see both it and New Getter Robo.

Anything I can nab for free?
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:40 am

Most of these things are at least years old and are not likely candidates for streaming. There hasn't been much super robot recently, much less mecha at all.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:55 am

blkmage (post: 1409378) wrote:Most of these things are at least years old and are not likely candidates for streaming. There hasn't been much super robot recently, much less mecha at all.
Which is totally unfortunate...a travesty even. Dai Buster is only a few years old, and NGR is 2004, so they really ought to be streamed. Come on people, stream good shows!
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:19 am

The entire point of streaming is to provide a way to meet demand for shows that are airing in Japan right now, and is most definitely not to offer good old shows for free.
blkmage

Postby XIV_whisper » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:20 am

is there a dub version to cowboy bebop, it looks intersting, but the first episode i saw there was blood and it was kinda of gorey.
XIV_whisper

Postby MightiMidget » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:25 am

There is a dub for Cowboy Bebop, and I think people also tend to prefer it over the subbed version. It's also not...too gory past the gun battles? But when there are gun battles, there is blood. Though if I remember correctly it does not get worse past the first episode, but I may be wrong. :)
MightiMidget

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:31 am

blkmage (post: 1409388) wrote:The entire point of streaming is to provide a way to meet demand for shows that are airing in Japan right now, and is most definitely not to offer good old shows for free.
?

*scans Hulu* Hmm...Galaxy Express 999, Gigantor, Captain Harlock, Fist of the North Star, Magic Knight Rayearth, every Slayers, Prince Planet, Astroboy, SDF Macross, Slam Dunk, Vandread, Fullmetal Alchemist, Prince of Tennis, Hikaru no Go...so many good old shows...for free! And watching these free shows gets guys like me interested in buying them (if they are 90s/00s shows still in print]is [/B]theoretically possible can't he?
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:30 am

I never said that they never do that (because there are a number of obvious counterexamples), but that is not the intent behind streaming.
blkmage

Postby Tsukuyomi » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:19 pm

*Walks into thread and looks around* O__O

I haven't been watching much anime lately.. Anyone have any suggestions to a girly romantic comedy (slice of life even). I prefer dubs over subs.. Yes, I'm a weirdo ^__^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby blkmage » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:32 pm

Clannad
blkmage

Postby MightiMidget » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:38 pm

It's subbed ('cause it's still airing...) but have you tried Kaichou wa Maid-Sama! ? It's closer to Ouran's romantic comedy side of things 'cause it's still school. But it gives me warm, fuzzy giggles all the same. =)

that's....my only idea though. :oops;
MightiMidget

Postby MasterDias » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:57 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1409395) wrote:
?

*scans Hulu* Hmm...Galaxy Express 999, Gigantor, Captain Harlock, Fist of the North Star, Magic Knight Rayearth, every Slayers, Prince Planet, Astroboy, SDF Macross, Slam Dunk, Vandread, Fullmetal Alchemist, Prince of Tennis, Hikaru no Go...so many good old shows...for free! And watching these free shows gets guys like me interested in buying them (if they are 90s/00s shows still in print]is [/B]theoretically possible can't he?

It's not that mecha itself isn't popular. It's more that the traditional Super Robot shows have been generally eclipsed by Real Robot shows like Gundam in recent years. And, Gurren Lagann aside, traditional Super Robot shows have never really been that popular over here, at least not like they were in Japan. That said, keeping in mind I can't actually speak for the quality of the following shows since I've seen very little of them.

You might give Mobile Fighter G Gundam a shot, the only Gundam that really adheres to the Super Robot-style. It appears to be a somewhat hit-or-miss show, but some people really like it. It was directed by the same guy who did Giant Robo.

Also, there was a recent Mazinger Z reboot, Shin Mazinger, you might want to check out. It aired last year, and seems to be well-regarded among Super Robot fans. Also directed by the same guy who did Giant Robo.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Falx » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:40 pm

XIV_whisper (post: 1409389) wrote:is there a dub version to cowboy bebop, it looks intersting, but the first episode i saw there was blood and it was kinda of gorey.

Cowboy Bebop has one of the best dubs, ever.

However, I notice that you are fourteen. With that in mind, you might want to run this show by your parents to check whether you can watch it. The gore doesn't really get that much worse than the first episode, but there are some mature elements in the show which push the rating to 16+.

You can point them to this review, if it helps.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby MightiMidget » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:52 pm

Falx (post: 1409432) wrote:Cowboy Bebop has one of the best dubs, ever.

However, I notice that you are fourteen. With that in mind, you might want to run this show by your parents to check whether you can watch it. The gore doesn't really get that much worse than the first episode, but there are some mature elements in the show which push the rating to 16+.

You can point them to this review, if it helps.

I do second this...(I am of a minority who did not like Cowboy Bebop, btw :oops: ) even though there's not a lot a lot of objectionable content? The scenes are a bit explicit. So I would suggest reading a few reviews and whatnot if you are content sensitive... :)
MightiMidget

Postby Abi-chan » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:24 pm

I enjoyed Fruits Basket and Shugo Chara. I prefer dub over sub, but if there isn't one for that show, that's fine. :]
Abi-chan

Postby Atria35 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:39 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1409367) wrote:I am finishing up the masterpiece that is Gurren Lagann. Any similar mecha shows in tone and scope (I know there isn't an exact match in scope] Black Lagoon is almost always recc'd when Gurren Lagann comes up. I think ANN is streaming it free, but I might be mistaken- it could be Funi....

Tsukuyomi (post: 1409414) wrote:*Walks into thread and looks around* O__O

I haven't been watching much anime lately.. Anyone have any suggestions to a girly romantic comedy (slice of life even). I prefer dubs over subs.. Yes, I'm a weirdo ^__^

Lovely Complex if you haven't watched that already :lol: There's also Skip Beat!, Toradora, and Special A.... I don't know which of these are subbed or dubbed, though... Wallflower, though, is dubbed, and similar to Ouran.
Atria35

Postby Wyntre Rose » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:18 pm

Atria35 (post: 1409568) wrote: Lovely Complex if you haven't watched that already :lol: There's also Skip Beat!, Toradora, and Special A.... I don't know which of these are subbed or dubbed, though... Wallflower, though, is dubbed, and similar to Ouran.

I know at least Toradora and Special A are both sub only. I'd still recommend them, though. They are both really fun.
Wyntre Rose

Postby Cadence » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:23 pm

Abi-chan (post: 1409461) wrote:I enjoyed Fruits Basket and Shugo Chara. I prefer dub over sub, but if there isn't one for that show, that's fine. :]

Have you watched Card Captor Sakura? If you enjoyed Shugo Chara! and Furuba, you'd probably like that as well. It's a great show!
Cadence

Postby Atria35 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:41 am

Abi-chan (post: 1409461) wrote:I enjoyed Fruits Basket and Shugo Chara. I prefer dub over sub, but if there isn't one for that show, that's fine. :]

I'm seconding Cadence's recommendation for Card Captor Sakura (not Cardcaptors- even though that's the English dub, they cut entire episodes and smashed a few together to try and market it to boys in America). I'm following that up with Aria (I think everyone should watch it!), Ouran Host Club, Lovely Complex, and Victorian Romance Emma (this is more dramatic than the others, but a lovely period anime).
Atria35

Postby MightiMidget » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:45 am

There is also School Rumble (which could kind of fall in the Ouran and Fruits Basket area) which has a way fun dub, Air TV is very whimsical and sweet like Fruits Basket. (I haven't seen Shugo Chara, so can't compare anything to that :oops: )
MightiMidget

Postby Nate » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:50 am

MasterDias wrote:You might give Mobile Fighter G Gundam a shot, the only Gundam that really adheres to the Super Robot-style. It appears to be a somewhat hit-or-miss show, but some people really like it.

Anyone who doesn't like G Gundam has a black heart and no soul.

Nate

Postby sakurabloom7 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:16 pm

White_Rose wrote:Anyone have any suggestions for me?

I'm mostly interested in Manga, except for a few rare exceptions. I like series that have complicated plot lines, and good, interesting characters.
I don't like stories placed in highschools or whatnot.. unless there are other plot twists that make up for it.

My current favorite is DN Angel. I love the art, I love the characters (Mainly Satoshi Hikari). The story is complicated, and the author/artist makes you find out for yourself, rather than dumping information into your lap. I love wondering who these characters really are, and guessing at their past, as the author slowly gives me hints.

I am open to all suggestions! Fire away!

Have you tried Darker than black? its a really good anime i really liked it, it does have a good amount of blood in it and it rarely has a scene of nudity in it.you will have to look it up to get the full information it would take to much time for me to explain it fully its just easier if you look it up. It has a good plot line to me its basicly about contractors, (contractors have paranormal abilities they use them to kill they don't have a conscience).Its about one of them fighting other contractors,BK201 is what he is called or Hei. Like I said you will have to look it up i dont want to ruin it for you, you can find full episodes on youtube.I got the first volume of it Im considering buying the second volume of it when i get enough money the first volume costs $20.00 at amazon.com
sakurabloom7

Postby Nate » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:45 pm

Er, White_Rose's post was three years ago. She hasn't even been on CAA since two years ago.

If you look above the username, there's a little piece of info that tells you the date a post was made. That way you don't end up replying to posts that are from three years ago and from members who aren't around anymore. :p

Nate

Postby Sheol777 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:52 pm

Nate (post: 1408020) wrote:You should start watching Naruto Shippuden right away so you can see their awesome QUALITY ANIMATION.

Reminds me of the dementia scene from Tekkonkinkreet
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby steenajack » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:03 pm

Could someone tell me more about the content of Boys Over Flowers? It looks cute/funny, but I'm just wondering if there's anything (mostly concerning sexual content, nudity, and possibly language) that I should be concerned with before I watch it.

-Steena
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby Atria35 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:33 am

steenajack (post: 1411175) wrote:Could someone tell me more about the content of Boys Over Flowers? It looks cute/funny, but I'm just wondering if there's anything (mostly concerning sexual content, nudity, and possibly language) that I should be concerned with before I watch it.

-Steena

Psh, and here I thought I was giving others fair chance to describe the content :sweat:. Well, I should start of by saying this is an old anime. So as long as you don't mind dated visuals and animation....

This does have some cute/funny moments, but not as many as you'd seem to think. This is more of a romance/drama (perhaps the right word would be melodrama), with humor thrown in. The boys are bullies. The bullying can be quite cringe-inducing at some points. They are also emotionally maipulative and... not always nice. There is some language- not a whole lot of it, but the more minor swearing is there. Sexual content and nudity? I was reading the manga, and there was suggestions of sexual relationships. Since it IS shoujo, there was nothing more than some bare backs/chests (of the boys) and bedsheet-covered females, but it was pretty obvious what was going on. It didn't happen often, but again, it was there.

Also, since this was made before the end of the manga, there are events that have been changed/left out. Do not watch the movie- it's terrible by all accounts.
Atria35

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews