Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby steenajack » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:16 pm

I had a feeling that was the case. THANK YOU SO MUCH! XD! What a big relief.
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby Seto_Sora » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:49 pm

Thanks for the recommendations! :D I am going to embark on Gundam 00! :D The Gundams seem just kinda awesome. LOL Hey, did anyone see the newest Robotech anime movie? Your thoughts?

SDG
This

Seto_Sora

Postby MightiMidget » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:00 pm

I've been going back and forth on Le Portrait de Petit Cossette since it made an appearance on netflix months ago. I will probably end up trying it? But wanted to see if people thought the artsiness of it is really worth the blood and guts and overall nightmare-inducing-creepiness it sounds like it is...
MightiMidget

Postby Atria35 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:44 pm

MightiMidget (post: 1402835) wrote:I've been going back and forth on Le Portrait de Petit Cossette since it made an appearance on netflix months ago. I will probably end up trying it? But wanted to see if people thought the artsiness of it is really worth the blood and guts and overall nightmare-inducing-creepiness it sounds like it is...

Le Portrait.... was interesting, but TBH, I thought the plot was very disappointing in the end. It started as a good psychological horror, but seemed to end in a disjointed mess. Then again, I seem to be in the minority who think that :sweat: You might have to check it out to see for yourself.
Atria35

Postby steenajack » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:09 am

Alright! I'm back with some more questions. Could someone please give some more info on the content of the following anime?:

Noein - to your other self
The Galaxy Railways
Toward the Terra
Sgt. Frog
Kamichu!
Brave Story

Mostly, I'd like to know the levels of just about everything, including violence, sex,nudity,language,religion, drugs.....anything like that. Any help would be awesome and I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks a million-----SteenaJack

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:33 am

Galaxy Railways- only saw the first few eps of Galaxy Railways 999, but as far as I can recall, there was less objectionable content than your average episode of Naruto.
Toward the Terra- I've only read the manga, but I have asked around and apparently the anime is very faithful to the manga. Which means that unless you're going to have an issue with humans with psychic powers, nothing objectionable. Well, there is some violence, too, but it's usually a space battle. After one child of the Mu starts subverting the adults (they didn't think he could since he was 5 and they had no idea about the extent of his powers), there is an attempt on his life that is unsuccessful. The person who tries to kill him makes an uneasy peace with him after that.
Kamichu!- This is about a girl that wakes up as one of the gods one morning. And then you have her trying to balance her life as a Japanese god while trying to be a student and handling her crush on her classmate. Again, I only read the manga, but in the manga, except for the god thing, nothing objectionable. Reminded me of CCS, actually, very cute and sweet.
Noein is actually on my PTW list, and from what I can tell from the reviews there are alternate dimetions and battles, usually involving some blood but most definately aren't gore-fests. Other than that, indifferent art/animation at best.
Atria35

Postby Falx » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:32 pm

Noein has very little objectionable content, apart from some intense themes and non-gorey violence and IIRC no fanservice. It's a VERY deep, but VERY good sci-fi with lots of references to quantum physics and such. Just don't watch it with an actual physicist though... I'm told they get the science mostly right but just wrong enough that it drives them crazy.

The art is... odd... the style actually changes completely from episode to episode on occasion but not so much that you cannot recognize anyone. It's VERY smooth though, so still not eye-cancer giving.

The music, is ASTOUNDINGLY good, with nearly every piece a full and epic orchestral theme with a Latin choir.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby Cadence » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:15 pm

I've seen the Kamichu! anime (I didn't even realize it had been adapted into a manga), and as Atria35 said about the manga, there is next to nothing objectionable in the anime, besides the fact that it is heavily influenced by Shintoism. It is a really sweet series, and the animation and art is beautiful (especially the backgrounds). Recommended! =)

Also, as others have said, Noein has very little objectionable content. There is definitely violence present, and there was some language in the sub, though I don't recall it being very frequent (I haven't watched it dubbed, so I can't help you there). Oh, and I will second what Falx said about the music. Noein has one of the best soundtracks I have ever heard in anime.
Cadence

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:37 pm

Did a little more research, and found a reivew for Sgt. Frog that has more info on the content (it's near the bottom, so you'll have to scroll down): http://www.nt2099.com/J-ENT/news/blu-ray-dvd-reviews/anime-reviews/sgt-frog-season-one-part-1-a-j-ent-anime-dvd-review/
Brave Story-Well, this takes place in an entirely fantasy world. Also found a review for it: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com.au/review/brave-story
Atria35

Postby steenajack » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:38 pm

Oh goodness! Thank you guys so very much! I'm very greatful for the help. Arigatou! (Is that how you spell it?) Your information was very helpful, and I really appreciate it.

EDIT: *sighs* Okay, I wanna be careful because I don't want to keep pestering you guys with a lot of questions, or keep someone from getting a recommendation, but I was wondering if someone could elaborate more on the content of s.CRYed http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=842 I know there is a review here on this site, and I've read it. I was just wondering if there is anything else I should look out for that the reviewer may or may not have left out. Again, I thank anyone in advance for any help I might possibly receive. I really do appreciate the help you guys have given in the past. :D!

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby Atria35 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:59 am

steenajack (post: 1404557) wrote:EDIT: *sighs* Okay, I wanna be careful because I don't want to keep pestering you guys with a lot of questions, or keep someone from getting a recommendation, but I was wondering if someone could elaborate more on the content of s.CRYed http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=842 I know there is a review here on this site, and I've read it. I was just wondering if there is anything else I should look out for that the reviewer may or may not have left out. Again, I thank anyone in advance for any help I might possibly receive. I really do appreciate the help you guys have given in the past. :D!

From all the reviews I looked at, there was nothing the reviewer left out.
Atria35

Postby Falx » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:22 am

Asking questions is what this thread is for... There's no chance anyone could get annoyed or upset so feel free to ask as many as you like. And even on the off chance someone does, they would be the ones at fault and not you, so don't worry about it too much :)
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby steenajack » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:48 pm

Thank you guys SO much. I really appreciate it. Oh, and thank you Flax for that piece of advice. :3! I shall not be afraid to ask any questions anymore.

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby MightiMidget » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:58 pm

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for some things similar to Time of Eve? Preferably short, like so, and science fiction? Thanks a ton. =)
MightiMidget

Postby Atria35 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:10 pm

MightiMidget (post: 1404941) wrote:I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for some things similar to Time of Eve? Preferably short, like so, and science fiction? Thanks a ton. =)

Nothing quite as short, since ToE is movie-legnth, but I'd say Kaiba would fit the bill.
Real Drive would also be a nice one, but that's full-legnth, sorry!
Already watched Serial Experiments Lain, sooo.... Paprika
Hope this helps!
Atria35

Postby Cadence » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:44 pm

Seconding Kaiba. And, if you haven't watched them already, I would recommend Yoshiura's other works, especially Mizu no Kotoba and Pale Cocoon. Also, Shinkai's Voices of a Distant Star. All three are excellent OVAs.
Cadence

Postby blkmage » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:50 pm

Dennou Coil. Not as short, but very similar in tone to Time of Eve, in that it's about the everyday, "real" kind of sci-fi. Kaiba is a lot more fantastical, stylized, and dystopian, but still very excellent.
blkmage

Postby MightiMidget » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:22 pm

Thank you all very much! I will definitely be looking up Pale Cocoon, I have seen Mizu no Kotoba, and adored it. =)

Atria35 (post: 1404943) wrote:Nothing quite as short, since ToE is movie-legnth, but I'd say Kaiba would fit the bill.
Real Drive would also be a nice one, but that's full-legnth, sorry!
Already watched Serial Experiments Lain, sooo.... Paprika
Hope this helps!

Those sound interesting! Could I get content run-downs on Kaiba and Real Drive? =) I looked up the Paprika review, and will probably be debating back and forth for a bit. Kaiba sounds Brave New World-esque.
MightiMidget

Postby Atria35 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:56 pm

Okay, I am SO seconding Dennou Coil- That show is so AMAZING!
MightiMidget (post: 1405001) wrote:Those sound interesting! Could I get content run-downs on Kaiba and Real Drive? =) I looked up the Paprika review, and will probably be debating back and forth for a bit. Kaiba sounds Brave New World-esque.

Real Drive-[spoiler] interesting concepts. Guy gets knocked unconcious from a 'wave of power' from the earth in the ocean, for about 70 years or so. Wakes up an old man. Girl who's supposed to be helping take care of him also ends up as a bit of a partner in various adventures on the island. Language- next to none, usually mild swears. Sexual content- Next to none. THere is some brief talk of body development and change when the girl contemplates going 'wired', and the android suggests that she could also have an artificial body if she wished. The girl's brother is also involved with a woman, so you get some brief suggestions of that. Violence- some fighting (there is an attempted assasination later in the series), but very little overall, some blood, pretty much no gore. Most 'violence' is dealing with the mind. Religion, well, other than somewhat heavy eco-messages and one incident involving a 'ghost' in the school (hint- it's not really a ghost!), nothing, really.[/spoiler]

Kaiba- This I haven't seen personally, yet. But from what I've picked up from other people, [spoiler]There is some language, usually mild, and some brief non-sexual nudity. But the description seems similar to ToE and what it's usually recommended for people who like ToE[/spoiler]

Other than that is I really do recommend Paprika. The major issue would be the nudity, but I have to say, while it is there in those two brief scenes, I also felt it was very symbolic, unlike the reviewer. [spoiler]The way it's approached initially seems sexual, but what happens is more like him tearing apart her persona, in essence taking away her mental protection and identity. In short, even though there is no sex or rape in the scene, it is essentially mind rape. Except they give a visual metaphor for it[/spoiler]which I appreciated since I don't care for pointless nudity.
Atria35

Postby MightiMidget » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:46 pm

Thanks, Atria! :hug: And thank you everyone for the recommendations! I am excited to try them out. :D
MightiMidget

Postby blkmage » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:30 pm

As much as I like Kaiba, I can't really recommend it on the basis that someone liked Time of Eve. Stylistically, the two are nothing alike. Like I mentioned, Time of Eve is more on the realistic side of the spectrum, while Kaiba is at pretty much the exact opposite. The world of Kaiba and the laws under which it operates are unrecognizable to us. Not to mention the art style for Kaiba is probably unlike anything you've ever seen.

Thematically, Time of Eve is about the classic question of whether or not machines can think. Kaiba is set in a world where memories can be treated like data, in that it is easily transferrable and copiable. As a result, consciousness and self lie with your memories rather than a physical body. Kaiba presents the ramifications of such a world and the big question it explores is what identity is.

I still think you would like it and should watch it. Of course, don't expect it to be anything like Time of Eve.
blkmage

Postby Atria35 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:37 pm

blkmage (post: 1405093) wrote:As much as I like Kaiba, I can't really recommend it on the basis that someone liked Time of Eve. Stylistically, the two are nothing alike. Like I mentioned, Time of Eve is more on the realistic side of the spectrum, while Kaiba is at pretty much the exact opposite. The world of Kaiba and the laws under which it operates are unrecognizable to us. Not to mention the art style for Kaiba is probably unlike anything you've ever seen.

Really? Then I'm happily keeping Real Drive in there (it does deal with this to some extent), and suggesting picking up the manga Pluto. That also deals with it.
Atria35

Postby MightiMidget » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:39 pm

Good to know to expect that. Arigatou, blkmage. And I do have the first volume of Pluto, so that will be tried out soon as well. =)
MightiMidget

Postby KougaHane » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:05 pm

I just have a random craving to watch something about a secretive organization that fights terrorists. Any good ones?
chatbot 09:36 - KougaHane asks, Will you be my friend?
My answer: No
KougaHane 09:36 - T_T
KougaHane

Postby Nate » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:08 pm

Heartcatch Precure?

THEY'RE SECRETIVE AND THEY'RE FIGHTING PEOPLE WHO WANT TO TURN THE WORLD INTO A DESERT WHICH WOULD BE PRETTY TERRIFYING SO IT TOTALLY FITS.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:29 pm

KougaHane (post: 1407487) wrote:I just have a random craving to watch something about a secretive organization that fights terrorists. Any good ones?

The most obvious one I can think of is Ghost in the Shell. I was introduced into the series with Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. None of the former movies are required for viewing in order to nderstand it. Content warnings are: The Major wears a pretty skimpy outfit, and in one episode for a VERY brief (maybe five seconds) scene there is an implication that she's in a lesbian relationship. Or, you could just read the review.

And after that you have Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2nd Gig
Atria35

Postby steenajack » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:27 pm

May I ask about the content in the anime Rozen Maiden. I read the review on THEM, but I'm wondering if they are leaving anything out that I should know about before and if I decide to watch this series.

-Steena

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:10 pm

steenajack (post: 1407613) wrote:May I ask about the content in the anime Rozen Maiden. I read the review on THEM, but I'm wondering if they are leaving anything out that I should know about before and if I decide to watch this series.

-Steena

I think it's accurate. Everything there lines up with what I remember.
Atria35

Postby steenajack » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:27 pm

Thank you very much Atria! XD!

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby KougaHane » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:10 pm

I want to watch Naruto because I own one of the games and it's really fun and makes me want to watch it but the fact that they're all 12 gets on my nerves. Will I be completely hopelessly lost if I just skip to watching Naruto Shippuuden instead, where they're all a bit older?
chatbot 09:36 - KougaHane asks, Will you be my friend?
My answer: No
KougaHane 09:36 - T_T
KougaHane

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews