What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby CrystalChalice » Thu May 20, 2010 2:53 am

Kimi ni Todoke vol. 4 (after 2-3 days of procrastinating)
CrystalChalice

Postby Atria35 » Thu May 20, 2010 2:49 pm

Now that my finals are over, I've decided to pick +Anima up again- I really liked what I had read, and really want to finish the series :) So I've read the first two volumes
Atria35

Postby Wyntre Rose » Fri May 21, 2010 11:08 pm

Re-read the final volume of Pluto, now that it's out and officially translated. Dang it, would someone animate this thing already?! lol.
Wyntre Rose

Postby mkalv » Sat May 22, 2010 6:51 am

I just read .Hack//4Koma, which is a comedy one-shot that pokes fun at the .Hack franchise, and I thought it was very boring. Too bad, since I liked Twilight Bracelet.
No pain, no gain. I would prefer no pain, but still gain.
mkalv

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sat May 22, 2010 10:54 am

Reading the first volume of Whistle! It's a story about a young boy who loves to play soccer so much that he transfered from a prestigious school to an average because he was only sitting the bench. Messages about perseverance and self-reliance are strong, as one might've guessed. These themes don't really tire with me, though =). It's engaging so far, and all the soccer references are fun (especially when there are gross misspellings: Inter Milan = Intel Milan, etc.).
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby ich1990 » Sat May 22, 2010 6:09 pm

Pluto vol. 4-8

This was a fantastic series; classic Urasawa, only with toned down content out of respect for the source material. All that I could ask for in a science fiction story was present, superb characterization, deep storyline, robot smackdowns, tons of philosophical questioning, etc.

I have to say that the ending threw me for a loop. I mean, Urasawa is pretty well known for having unexpected endings, but in Monster or 20th CB I could handle the twists. They were unusual, yes, but could be justified within the context of the series. With Pluto, though...... Still a 9/10 of story. Not as good as the two previously mentioned, but well worth it nonetheless.

For those of you have read this series already:[spoiler]Who the heck is the teddy bear? Is it Bora's other body? I am confused.....[/spoiler]
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Atria35 » Mon May 24, 2010 9:22 am

ich1990 (post: 1395934) wrote:For those of you have read this series already:[spoiler]Who the heck is the teddy bear? Is it Bora's other body? I am confused.....[/spoiler]

You know, it's been so long I don't really remember :sweat: I think I thought it was [spoiler]either part of a longer storyline in Astroboy, or the teddy bear had been possessed by one of the evil scientists. But it might be Bora's other body.... but the teddy bear has obviously been in the President's possession for a long time, so I'm not sure how that would work out....[/spoiler]

Oh, and finished +Anima. What an endearing series! A little short, I wish they had explored the world and it's history a bit more, but overall this was a wonderfully written manga. Then I picked up FMA again, and am reading it at the same time I'm watching it. I've finished volume 2 already :)
Atria35

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Mon May 24, 2010 9:22 pm

Reading The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya volume 5.
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby Atria35 » Tue May 25, 2010 7:00 pm

Read Flat chaps 6-9- I really want this one to come over stateside, and I keep hope because Bunny Drop was! It's so adorable- it's like if Ginko from Mushishi was brought into modern day, and given charge of a kid. So adorable! XD

Also Baby and Me volume 2- Sooo cute! It reminds me of my brother and me, except we were closer together in age. I really enjoy it :)
Atria35

Postby Atria35 » Wed May 26, 2010 11:47 am

Baby and Me vols 3-5- I don't know how I make it through all the kawaii without squealing! It's adorable and heartwarming, and I really like it :)

Hikaru no Go chaps 104-110- decided to pick this back up and attempt to finish it. I LOVE this series! My blood starts pumping and I can't wait to see what happens next.... *sigh* After I finish this, I have no clue what I'm going to start reading next (my guess is Soul Eater or One Piece, maybe both....)
Atria35

Postby Cloud500 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:12 pm

One Piece vol. 41 and 20th Century Boys vol. 8 came in the mail today, so I'll be reading those.

I'm also finishing up Pluto vol. 8, which I've had for more than a month but haven't read yet (Thank you, school...); though having read the Astro Boy story it's based on I already know how the main plot will conclude.
Cloud500

Postby Atria35 » Thu May 27, 2010 11:58 am

Hikaru no Go chaps 110-151- Sooooo Close to the end!
Atria35

Postby J.R. » Fri May 28, 2010 8:24 pm

20th Century Boys
Pluto
Monster
Gantz
Vagabond
Nabari No Ou
Nothing that you have not given away will ever really be yours.
J.R.

Postby Atria35 » Sun May 30, 2010 10:26 am

Ugh. Just finished one called Shadow Star (aka Narutaru). This is unwanted child of Pokemon and Evangelion, minus the Christian symbolism, created when on a caffiene high when staying up past midnight. Not very good (though it gives you something to chew on philisophically and psychologically). But compared to some of his other works, I'm disappointed.
Atria35

Postby blkmage » Sun May 30, 2010 2:42 pm

Atria35 (post: 1397609) wrote:Ugh. Just finished one called Shadow Star (aka Narutaru). This is unwanted child of Pokemon and Evangelion, minus the Christian symbolism, created when on a caffiene high when staying up past midnight. Not very good (though it gives you something to chew on philisophically and psychologically). But compared to some of his other works, I'm disappointed.

Are you suggesting that the manga with this OP features terrible things happening to children?
[spoiler]It does.[/spoiler]
blkmage

Postby ich1990 » Sun May 30, 2010 4:48 pm

One Piece vol. 5

Sanji makes his entrance, and suddenly I am very interested in this series again.

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind vol. 1-2

I didn't remember really caring for the movie, but the manga was readily available so I started it. I am very glad I did. At a little over a quarter of the way through, it is obvious to me that the movie is a mere shadow of the manga.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Atria35 » Sun May 30, 2010 4:51 pm

blkmage (post: 1397650) wrote:Are you suggesting that the manga with this OP features terrible things happening to children?

Yes. I'm familiar with that OP.
[spoiler]Whoever though of it deserves the stocks and perhaps a public whipping, merely for the sheer deception that it gives. [/spoiler]
Atria35

Postby choklit » Sun May 30, 2010 5:40 pm

Tokyo Crazy paradise! XD I love Yoshiki nakamura.
So what's the speed of dark?
choklit

Postby That Dude » Sun May 30, 2010 5:47 pm

Kurosagi The Black Swindler.

Interesting so far.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby CrystalChalice » Sun May 30, 2010 7:43 pm

Skip Beat vol. 4
CrystalChalice

Postby Blacklight » Mon May 31, 2010 12:42 am

Recently:

Finished Fairy Cube (volumes 2 and 3).
It was ok...

Read Pet Shop of Horrors volume 6.

Uuh... I guess that's it.
[color="Blue"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color]
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="DeepSkyBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color][/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Pink"]chatbot 03:36 - Blacklight asks, are you sane?
My answer: It's hard to say, really.[/color]
Blacklight

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon May 31, 2010 2:28 am

Atria35 (post: 1397609) wrote:Ugh. Just finished one called Shadow Star (aka Narutaru). This is unwanted child of Pokemon and Evangelion, minus the Christian symbolism, created when on a caffiene high when staying up past midnight. Not very good (though it gives you something to chew on philisophically and psychologically). But compared to some of his other works, I'm disappointed.
blkmage (post: 1397650) wrote:Are you suggesting that the manga with this OP features terrible things happening to children?
Atria35 (post: 1397706) wrote:Yes. I'm familiar with that OP.
[spoiler]Whoever though of it deserves the stocks and perhaps a public whipping, merely for the sheer deception that it gives. [/spoiler]
Welcome to the world of Mohiro Kitoh, a man I dislike strongly enough to name my heavily intoxicated computer after. Not for Shadow Star though - Bokurano is the name of my beef with him.
ich1990 (post: 1397704) wrote:One Piece vol. 5

Sanji makes his entrance, and suddenly I am very interested in this series again.
Coincidentally, it was Sanji who also convinced me to stick with the series awhile longer until it got its kick. Twenty-something volumes in, he's still my favorite character.
Fish and Chips

Postby Atria35 » Mon May 31, 2010 5:41 am

Fish and Chips (post: 1397815) wrote:Welcome to the world of Mohiro Kitoh, a man I dislike strongly enough to name my heavily intoxicated computer after. Not for Shadow Star though - Bokurano is the name of my beef with him.

I'm familiar with Mohiro Kitoh- I've read Bokurano and a few other works by him. And, quite frankly, Bokurano was better than Shadow Star, as depressing as it was.

Soul Eater chapters 1 and 2- decided to read these to get a flavor of what was in the story, and I have to say, I'm hooked! This is awesome.

Bakuman vol 1- decided to reread this, and I like it. The only problem I have with it is [spoiler]the implicit sexism it presents- they say that one girl is cute because she's only average in intelligence, while another girl that is smart is automatically less apealing. While they try to caveat this by saying she's stuck-up, they don't say that it's her attitude that makes her less appealing, it's her intelligence. Not cool.[/spoiler]
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Mon May 31, 2010 9:02 am

Atria35 (post: 1397817) wrote:I'm familiar with Mohiro Kitoh- I've read Bokurano and a few other works by him. And, quite frankly, Bokurano was better than Shadow Star, as depressing as it was.

Soul Eater chapters 1 and 2- decided to read these to get a flavor of what was in the story, and I have to say, I'm hooked! This is awesome.

Bakuman vol 1- decided to reread this, and I like it. The only problem I have with it is [spoiler]the implicit sexism it presents- they say that one girl is cute because she's only average in intelligence, while another girl that is smart is automatically less apealing. While they try to caveat this by saying she's stuck-up, they don't say that it's her attitude that makes her less appealing, it's her intelligence. Not cool.[/spoiler]

Soul Eater is great, but the way you write it, did you read the pilot? It introduces all seven mains, and is more like three chapters labeled as chapter zero.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Atria35 » Mon May 31, 2010 10:40 am

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1397823) wrote:Soul Eater is great, but the way you write it, did you read the pilot? It introduces all seven mains, and is more like three chapters labeled as chapter zero.

Yep! I usually don't count chapter zeros of anything, since they're usually the one-shot pilots, but it really got me into it. I was afriad it would be misleading, though, so then I read chaps 1 and 2 of the serialization, and... Well. It's now on my Reading list!
Atria35

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon May 31, 2010 11:20 am

Atria35 (post: 1397817) wrote:I'm familiar with Mohiro Kitoh- I've read Bokurano and a few other works by him. And, quite frankly, Bokurano was better than Shadow Star, as depressing as it was.
Bokurano's great reading, actually, until he burns it to the ground with that last chapter. I don't think I've been more dissatisfied with an ending in my life.
Fish and Chips

Postby Atria35 » Mon May 31, 2010 4:58 pm

[/B]QUOTE=Fish and Chips (post: 1397843)]Bokurano's great reading, actually, until he burns it to the ground with that last chapter. I don't think I've been more dissatisfied with an ending in my life.[/QUOTE]

I know. Similar feelings here (though I was more kindly inclined towards the ending, I think).

Bakuman vol. 2-7- Fascinating. And getting really interesting!
Atria35

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:53 pm

Sorry for the double-post!
Finished A Distant Neighborhood- Wow. Just.... wow. Very interesting, very melacholic, very nostalgic. Now one of my favorite manga!

Also completed Eden: Endless World, and.... >.>" Well, this has become very popular in some circles, and I just don't see why.
Atria35

Postby firestorm » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:24 am

Currently just finished reading volume 4 of Heart no Kuni no Alice aka Alice in the country of hearts. It's pretty good but as it goes on it's seems like it's getting more and more creepy.
Come check my facebook fan page here If you want to see some great photography and art!

I am currently on my 4th draft of the script for Canvas! Canvas is a watercolor animated short about how everything declares of a Creator and how everything happens for a reason. If anyone would like to help by sending me resources on watercolor or animation it would be greatly appreciated!

I am also on my 1st draft of a short live-action Romcom called "Behind Every Good Man! Behind Every Good Man is about a Bride-to-be, Evelyn, who must stop her Mother-in-Law, Pamela, from living her dream wedding through Evelyn's. Along the way she learns what it means to be a Woman of Integrity today! If anyone wants to help let me know!

Location: Lovin the Miami Heat. And I ain't talking about the basketball team :3

Postby RefractedAhav » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:07 pm

Dream Gold and Gadget
Adopted by: 1BalloonPopper

(\_/) [color=royalblue]"We are the Bunnie [/color]

(O.o) Resistance Is Futile.

(> <) You Will Be Assimilated"-Elowen

Copy The Bunny Into Your Sig Help Him Achieve World Domination...

AKA: Jowan, John, Iwan, any male form of "John" exept Johny or any spelling of Johny (Jonathan is actualy an entirly diferrnt name, so no that does not work)

FKA: Elowen

http://users.ev1.net/%7Ebretm/ashley/tairis%20sig%203.gif
RefractedAhav

Location: Some where in Oz or is it in the woods between worlds, I'm not so shure any more. Any one have an in

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews