What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:16 pm

So, I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I read the first three vols (21 chapters) of Tsubasa Chronicle. Now, I'm not all that familiar w/ CLAMP's universe (seen the X movie and Angelic Layer), but still I'm enjoying it a lot so far. There's a lot to like: adventurous romps, silly comedy, intrigue (esp. w/ the villains), characters and relationships you care about. All in all, a really good start. I'm pretty pumped that it is supposed to get "darker" as I move forward.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Atria35 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:39 am

Tegami Bachi vol. 1-4- because I just couldn't stand how the anime was animated, the voice acting, and the overall looks, I decided to pick this up. I adore the manga. Will never watch the anime, but I adore the manga.
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:26 pm

So I just began Solanin, and my only complaint as of chapter five is that the sex feels kind of tacked on. Definitely something I like though.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:16 pm

I am re-reading/finishing Fruits Basket, thanks to a friend of mine who lent me the entire manga.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Atria35 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:34 pm

Reading Seizon -Life- ... And wow. This is really good. Perhaps a tad too short (there are parts that feel condensed), but I would recommend this to all my friends. Basically, it's about a man who discovers he has six months to a year left to live- and then the police discover the body of his daughter, who's been missing for the last 14 years- and the statue of limitations to find the killer runs out in 6 months. So he goes on a quest to find his daughters' killer.
Atria35

Postby ich1990 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:44 pm

Steel Ball Run vol. 9-11

It took me about ten volumes, but I think I have finally gotten to the point where I can just read SBR and embrace all of its quirks. Everything is totally off the wall insane, but you know what? It's okay.

In fact, it is better than okay. Just when I say "there is no way they could be a weirder fight than that" there is. Mountain Tim vs. Blackmore stands out to me in these three novels, if only for the complete disregard they show when their body parts get scattered all across the battlefield. Great stuff, really.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:23 pm

So I finished Solanin tonight, which left me after each chapter saying "One more chapter. One more chapter". It was great, the characters were great, the ending was good but open. You could really feel the mangaka's heart was in this.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Atria35 » Sun May 02, 2010 1:23 pm

I Am A Piano- a short one-shot (8 pages or so), about a piano. Very stylized, very nice and sweet. I heart this story :)
Atria35

Postby Wyntre Rose » Mon May 03, 2010 10:06 pm

Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles volume 26. I picked it up and was only going to look to see where it began, and got so sucked in that I read the whole thing in one sitting. lol. This volume moved at breakneck speed.
Wyntre Rose

Postby Atria35 » Tue May 04, 2010 5:50 am

charlhussey (post: 1392059) wrote:I'm reading "Doubt" in this moment, it's very good, a mystery horror. The plotline is well thought through and it's not a long time if this makes a difference. I have read the first two chapters of "Fairy Cube", which looks interesting too.

I've been meaning to pick up Doubt! Well, now that someone one here's given it a good rating, I guess I'll have to pick it up.

Finished Seizon -Life-. Really good, and Happy End!
Atria35

Postby Nate » Tue May 04, 2010 5:55 am

Atria35 wrote:I've been meaning to pick up Doubt! Well, now that someone one here's given it a good rating, I guess I'll have to pick it up.

Pssst, responding to spambots accomplishes nothing. ;D

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Atria35 » Tue May 04, 2010 6:21 am

[quote="Nate (post: 1392075)"]Pssst, responding to spambots accomplishes nothing. ]

lolz

In any case, read Liar Game vol. 4- Woooo! What a manga.
Atria35

Postby airichan623 » Wed May 05, 2010 9:28 pm

Otomen v. 4

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby VerityDemortem » Thu May 06, 2010 10:32 am

Currently, I'm re-reading Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle. It's my favorite manga - beautiful in every sense of the word with lovely artwork, twisting plots, deep characters, deep themes, and . . . pretty much everything you could ask for!
VerityDemortem

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu May 06, 2010 10:53 am

VerityDemortem (post: 1392488) wrote:Currently, I'm re-reading Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle. It's my favorite manga - beautiful in every sense of the word with lovely artwork, twisting plots, deep characters, deep themes, and . . . pretty much everything you could ask for!
I just got Vols 4-7 in the mail and am pretty pumped. Also got Hunter X Hunter 21-23. Lotsa good stuff.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri May 07, 2010 11:15 pm

One Piece vol. 27-28
Steel Ball Run vol. 16

This marks the second time Jesus has appeared as an incidental character in a Manga I've read this year.
Fish and Chips

Postby airichan623 » Sun May 09, 2010 3:00 pm

Otomen v. 4 XD

i love watching straight beautiful manly high school boys doing inherently girly things. LOL

in other words: luv watching manga boys do kendo then turn around and skillfully do sewing, flower gardening, baking, reading (& write) shojo manga, and being make-up artists. I giggle so hard. XD

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby ich1990 » Sun May 09, 2010 4:27 pm

Steel Ball Run vol. 12-16

There are a lot of highlights here, including rabid balloon animals, but I am a bit concerned with the rather mature turn the story has taken. At least Jesus is there to help set things straight.
ich1990

Postby MightiMidget » Mon May 10, 2010 7:01 pm

I finished the two-volume manga A Wise Man Sleeps, and it was okay. About as mindlessly sometimes-entertaining as it gets. I'll probably re-pick it up sometime when I'm bored.

Read the first volume of 07-Ghost and actually really enjoyed it. :) So next two volumes are on my list for that.
MightiMidget

Postby crusader88 » Mon May 10, 2010 10:47 pm

Lately Rosario+Vampire vol. 6. The anime often descended into plotless ecchi, so I was shocked to find the manga develop such a compelling plot into the fifth volume when the two diverge.
...you must begin a reading program immediately so that you may understand the crises of our age... Begin with the late Romans, including Boethius, of course. Then you should dip rather extensively into early Medieval. You may skip the Renaissance and the Enlightenment. That is mostly dangerous propaganda. Now that I think of it, you had better skip the Romantics and the Victorians too. For the contemporary period, you should study some selected comic books.

-Ignatius J. Reilly, in John Kennedy Toole's A Confederacy of Dunces, 1960s

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
crusader88

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue May 11, 2010 8:40 am

Vols 4 and 5 of Tsubasa. Call me crazy, but I really like it. *shrugs* I find that the relationship b/w Syaoran ans Sakura to be compelling enough on its own, apart from previous CLAMP works, that I don't really feel the need to invest in the back catalog. I will say that I hope the villain(s) and his/their motivations become clearer soon (at least throw me a bone here) and that Kurogane and Fai get a little development. I am truly enjoying it so far.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue May 11, 2010 5:34 pm

Demons of Shanghai

Since this was the only short work of Hiromu Arakawa that had yet to be read by me, I decided that it was finally time to check it out, and I must say, this was a pleasant surprise. Everyone knows her for FMA(why else would we be reading these random one shots by this random woman), Stray Dog is what earned her attention, Bat in a Blue Sky is what everyone calls her best one shot, but this had a different feeling. While her first work was pretty grim, this was much more lighthearted. With only four chapters, there wasn't a ton of character development, but it was a great read, and something that after FMA is done, I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more of.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu May 13, 2010 9:13 am

Vol 6 of Tsubasa
Vols 21-23 of Hunter x Hunter

As I near the end of the American realeses of HxH, I feel disappointed. Firstly, because this book is such a great read, I will miss having "the next one" in the mail and tearing through said one soon after its arrival. It's pretty annoying that we have to wait for an indefinite period of time for Vol 27. I mean, I could take six months wait, if I knew it was going to be six months. The not knowing...blegh.

These last volumes have definately been a treat, and the series has reached it previous levels of enjoyment[spoiler]especially with the reurn of the Spiders!!![/spoiler]I can't help but feel, however, that if we were getting a few segments of Leorio or Kurapika, then the book could be even better. The former just plain needs some pages of development, as he is an untapped goldmine, while the latter's part of the York Shin arc was just incredible. But, then, Togashi just kind of dropped him (I'm sure not permanently, but for two major arcs? really?). Hisoka, arguably the most arresting character, has also been absent for too long. I need all of my HxH favorites to be present and accounted for, dangit.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Makachop^^128 » Thu May 13, 2010 9:16 am

Been reading Axis powers hentalia
FMA
Neon Genesis Evangelion
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Thu May 13, 2010 3:06 pm

20th Century Boys volume 1

I had huge expectations for this series. Given that Urasawa is called the God of Manga and most people call this his best work, it had better be good. And it is genius. While we have yet to see if it can do the impossible Gurren Lagann-style and steal FMA's spot as my favorite manga, this is gonna be good, I can tell.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby ich1990 » Thu May 13, 2010 3:44 pm

Mushishi vol. 1

After JoJo's shounen madness, this is a perfect detox. I don't think I have ever felt more soothed and relaxed after reading a series. It certainly doesn't hurt that he art is amazing. I will definitely be continuing this one.

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs wrote:I had huge expectations for this series. Given that Urasawa is called the God of Manga and most people call this his best work, it had better be good. And it is genius. While we have yet to see if it can do the impossible Gurren Lagann-style and steal FMA's spot as my favorite manga, this is gonna be good, I can tell.

Glad to hear you started it! You won't be disappointed. While I guess a case can be made for FMA, Monster, Berserk, or something, I am personally of the opinion that it is the best manga ever --and I am definitely not alone in this opinion. Keep me updated on your progress, if you get a chance.
ich1990

Postby MightiMidget » Thu May 13, 2010 7:27 pm

Finished the first three volumes of 07-Ghost, but since Go! Comi is out of business, or at least temporarily shut down, that series will be on hold until the fourth one appears somewhere.

Going to be starting Black Sun Silver Moon vol 1. =)
MightiMidget

Postby mkalv » Fri May 14, 2010 4:50 pm

Oh, I'm reading lots!

I just finished the final volume of Pluto. It was pretty good at parts, just a liitle boring, I guess. I read volumes 1 and 2 of Time Stranger Kyoko, which isn't half as good as Full Moon o Sagashite, but has its own charms.

I just read volume 12 of D.Gray Man, and I will read volume 12 later today. Its gotten to be a pretty good Shonen manga.

Thats all for now.
mkalv

Postby ich1990 » Sun May 16, 2010 5:16 pm

Cromartie High School vol. 1

Still good, still funny, though some humor (such as Mechazawa's voice) is lost on paper. Lots of stuff that wasn't in the anime.

One Piece vol. 1-4

A reasonably interesting series so far. Too bad it is 57 volumes long.

Pluto vol 1-3

It is Urasawa, enough said. Man I have missed reading his works.
ich1990

Postby Atria35 » Sun May 16, 2010 7:23 pm

Read a horror one-shot called Dark Waters- eh. Decent. Could have been better.

And started Natsume's Book of Friends, vol 1-2- and think this is totally awesome! I love this series! It's charming. The characters aren't all goody-goody, and the stories are all funny and touching.
Atria35

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews