Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri May 07, 2010 6:32 am

VerityDemortem (post: 1392660) wrote:I'm a fan of almost anything - it really doesn't matter what the genre is, just as long as the characters and themes are both deep and interesting. That said, however, I must also add that I'm partial to fantasy and adventure. I also like slice of life quite a bit. I really enjoy stuff that is sort of dark, like the second half of the Tsubasa manga.
Some of my favorite series are Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle (especially the manga), Wolf's Rain, Air [TV], Rurouni Kenshin, InuYasha, Kanon, Kobato (the little of it I've seen . . . I guess you could say that I like animes that originate from CLAMP manga a lot too), Death Note, and A Little Snow Fairy Sugar.
Ideally, I'm looking for something with deep, complex characters, heart-wrenching themes (not necessarily sad, but strong and with good morals), a somewhat dark feel, nifty use of magic (like the way the Inuyasha's sword only worked when he was protecting humans), and a fantasy background (if the fantasy world is well-developed). Oh yes! And we can't forget the strong feelings of fellowship among the main characters.
I know I'm sort of picky, but help would be appreciated!
You should pretty much go watch Fullmetal Alchemist right now. Yup.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby VerityDemortem » Fri May 07, 2010 11:39 am

Thank you for your recommendations, everyone! I've already seen Kanon 2006 and Fullmetal Alchemist - loved them both. I'll have to check the others you mentioned out.
[font="Times New Roman"][color="DarkRed"][SIZE="3"]" . . . silence is the language of the heart."[/SIZE][/color][/font]
VerityDemortem

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri May 07, 2010 9:42 pm

All right guys. I need a new anime. Because I haven't watched something really good minus Durarara!! and FMA for a while. I'm not picky when it comes to content, I'm going to want it streaming or not licensed, and genre wise the only thing I mind is magical girl. I love fantasy, slice of life, mecha, and perhaps even a dash of romance involved somewhere. I know it's been not long since I last came here, but the only one I could watch legally was one I'm not interested in, because I'm not really in the mood for something depressing.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby MightiMidget » Fri May 07, 2010 10:32 pm

I was looking at your MAL, Hat'n'Clogs, and suggest poking away some more at Monster. If you're at the Karl story arc, my apologies, that lasts around 10 episodes but afterwards it picks up again and definitely does NOT slow down. :)
MightiMidget

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri May 07, 2010 10:36 pm

Well, the thing with Monster is that while I know it's good objectively and I like it, for the same reasons that Fish mentioned a while ago, even though it's fast paced, it feels slower because a character will have to go somewhere, or stare at something, or say their dialogue, so while I want to get into Monster, I think I want to go for the manga on it. Thanks anyways for the recommendation!
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby blkmage » Fri May 07, 2010 10:49 pm

The only thing you don't mind is magical girl, eh? SO HOW ABOUT SOME NANOHA. DIVINE BUSTER; EXCELION MODE; STARLIGHT BREAKER-

Okay.

Fantasy (in the loosest sense)
Kara no Kyoukai
Seirei no Moribito
Sengoku Basara
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai

Slice of life
Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight!
Hidamari Sketch
Kamichu!
Natsume Yuujinchou
Aria
Sketchbook

Sci-fi (includes mecha)
Dennou Coil
Eve no Jikan
Eden of the East
Kaiba
Macross Frontier

Drama
Clannad, Clannad After Story
ef - a tale of memories, a tale of melodies
Honey and Clover, H&C II
Nodame Cantabile, Paris Chapter, Finale
Shigofumi

A lot of these are unlicensed; I'd hit up Wikipedia to make sure (as well as to get some summary and more information).
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri May 07, 2010 10:56 pm

blkmage (post: 1392853) wrote:The only thing you don't mind is magical girl, eh? SO HOW ABOUT SOME NANOHA. DIVINE BUSTER]Fantasy (in the loosest sense)[/I]
Kara no Kyoukai
Seirei no Moribito
Sengoku Basara
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai

Slice of life
Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight!
Hidamari Sketch
Kamichu!
Natsume Yuujinchou
Aria
Sketchbook

Sci-fi (includes mecha)
Dennou Coil
Eve no Jikan
Eden of the East
Kaiba
Macross Frontier

Drama
Clannad, Clannad After Story
ef - a tale of memories, a tale of melodies
Honey and Clover, H&C II
Nodame Cantabile, Paris Chapter, Finale
Shigofumi

A lot of these are unlicensed; I'd hit up Wikipedia to make sure (as well as to get some summary and more information).

Ooops, typo, your beginning made me lol, and thanks a ton. I think I'll go check out Dennou Coil for now, and maybe Higurashi or Honey and Clover. Thanks a ton!
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sat May 08, 2010 6:51 am

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. You really should check out Samurai Champloo, Hatters. You. Will. Love. It.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat May 08, 2010 6:55 am

I really want to watch Samurai Champloo, but I'm also a weirdo who doesn't like to lie, even if only on the interwebs, and I'm too poor to buy the DVDs right now, and since it's rated TV-MA I can't watch it without lying.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sat May 08, 2010 8:08 am

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1392875) wrote:I really want to watch Samurai Champloo, but I'm also a weirdo who doesn't like to lie, even if only on the interwebs, and I'm too poor to buy the DVDs right now, and since it's rated TV-MA I can't watch it without lying.
You are not a weirdo. I understand, btw.

Hmm...Casshern Sins and Ergo Proxy are out then...If only Gungrave or Fantastic Children were streaming!!!...

Ah ha! Check out Now and Then Here and There or Romeo x Juliet, depending on whether you're in the mood for heavy n' dark or action/adventure/romance. Both titles are top quality IMO.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Atria35 » Sat May 08, 2010 9:34 am

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1392875) wrote:I really want to watch Samurai Champloo, but I'm also a weirdo who doesn't like to lie, even if only on the interwebs, and I'm too poor to buy the DVDs right now, and since it's rated TV-MA I can't watch it without lying.

In some ways, I find Hulu's enforcing of those ratings atrocious. Those ratings are meant as guidlines as to what may or may not be suitable for certain ages- they change from country to country, and even medium to medium, and are pretty much entirely subjective (for instance, ARIA the Animation is considered 16+ on the ratings system, and I'm pretty sure the majority of people here wouldn't have an issue showing it to their 13, or even 10-year old siblings). TV-MA means that some of the material may be unsuitable for children under the age of 17, but since shows with that rating are allowed to air on regular TV (albeit with a warning to the parents beforehand), it's pretty much up to the parent's discretion as to whether they allow their kids to watch. But I see where you're coming from with not wanting to lie, and since Hulu does do age checks and and enforce the age ratings systems, we must abide by it ;.; Hoping you're able to get those DVDs soon!

....Sorry for the rant. I've had to do papers on this sort of thing, and it never ceases to get my goat.

Also agreeing with Subtle Doctor about those anime- they're both great!
Atria35

Postby MightiMidget » Sat May 08, 2010 12:54 pm

(also those ratings have pretty much zero consistency with content. Black Blood Brothers is TV-MA and um. sure. some of the PG stuff I've seen is worse.)

If you like school comedies, School Rumble is actually pretty fun. I haven't finished it (watching it with a friend who loves it), but I've been enjoying it immensely.

House of Five Leaves has also been weirdly intriguing, and that's streaming on Hulu.

Black Cat is fun B-rated science fiction (I have not read the manga for pretty much anything), and so if you want mindless fun that's something.

Prince of Tennis is slightly dull at first, but once you get into the characters it really is a blast.

I haven't finished xxxHolic yet, and I pretty much found it incredibly boring, but I went back to it and have been really enjoying it. If you want a sort of gothic-horror-fantasy-comedic slice-of-life, that's one to try.

That's all in my hulu subscriptions that I've actually seen and aren't TV-MA...also, my taste tends to be closer to "easy to entertain"? But I thought I'd at least throw the titles out there. =) (tried to format this post better, it looks weird. Meh.)
MightiMidget

Postby Falx » Sat May 08, 2010 1:02 pm

:thumb:

*browses Hulu*

:o

Busou Renkin! Wooh! WATCH IT!

I guarantee the very first time you hear the OP song you will think it is incredibly cheesy.

The 4th or 5th time you hear it you will want to run into the street, tear your shirt off Hulkamaniac style and go punch bank robbers in the face. Also one of the main villains is terrifying... but for a hilariously different reason than the norm. Can't see what it's rated as though.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby steenajack » Tue May 18, 2010 10:56 pm

Could someone please tell me more about the content in K-On? It looks interesting, but I'd just like to make sure. It also appears to have two TV series. O_O? Any help would be appreciated. :D!
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby Falx » Wed May 19, 2010 2:04 am

Hmmm if you stick to Chihiro's fansubs you won't find any really objectionable language (nothing higher than the d--n word or c--p). They appear in bikinis in the first season and go to a private outdoor bath, although nothing is shown.

One of the main characters appears to be a fan of... "close female friendship" but it never goes beyond some dialog that (usually) sounds innocent but can be taken another way.

Other than that it's great fun, especially the second season, which also has a visit to a public bath with again nothing shown.

Second season is a lot better overall than the first, but it is by no means a bad series!
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby steenajack » Thu May 20, 2010 12:15 am

Thank you Flax so much for the info.
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby impact777 » Thu May 27, 2010 2:08 am

Does somebody know if the second season of School Rumble is as good as the first one. Also concerning "bad religion" and fanservice?
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
impact777

Postby Atria35 » Sat May 29, 2010 2:10 pm

impact777 (post: 1396929) wrote:Does somebody know if the second season of School Rumble is as good as the first one. Also concerning "bad religion" and fanservice?

Well, after waiting around for someone else to answer (I haven't seen school rumble and apparently no one else has either o.O") I did a little research. Everything I've heard it that it's more of the same- incredibly similar to the first season, although the second half apparently gets a little more serious in the romance department. Whether it's as good as the first season? Mixed opinions. Half said it wasn't, half said it was, some said it was better. So I can't answer that. I'm sorry I'm not able to help more, but maybe this will help somewhat?
Atria35

Postby MightiMidget » Sun May 30, 2010 10:39 pm

impact777 (post: 1396929) wrote:Does somebody know if the second season of School Rumble is as good as the first one. Also concerning "bad religion" and fanservice?

I can't say anything specific, but I asked a friend of mine who loves the series (first and second season). She said the second season is as good as the first, and that the content level is the same. =) Hope that helps at least a smidgen...sorry I can't give more detail.
MightiMidget

Postby Cadence » Mon May 31, 2010 8:44 pm

OK, guys, I want to invest some moolah in a new anime series. The two I am debating between right now are Planetes and the Clannad series. I've had a lot of friends recommend Planetes to me, but I am also a big fan of Air and Kanon, and I've heard from a lot of people that Clannad After Story is better than both...So, I just want your opinion on which I should get my paws on first. Any endorsements for one over the other?
Cadence

Postby blkmage » Mon May 31, 2010 8:47 pm

My words, from earlier in this thread:

Clannad (and Clannad After Story) is a riveting tale about family. I consider it to be one of the best stories in anime. It'll make you run the entire gamut of emotions, inducing everything from hysterical laughter to little girl bawling. It'll take you through a journey where you'll experience the joy of life and the tragedy of death. You'll watch a boy transform from an ungrateful child into a man and a father. It's a story that's beautifully animated and beautifully told.
blkmage

Postby impact777 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:47 am

Thanks a lot Atria35 and MightyMidget! :)
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
impact777

Postby Cadence » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:22 pm

Thanks, blkmage! I'll have to pick up Clannad as soon as I can. But...hysterical laughter? Little girl bawling? This sounds potentially dangerous, especially knowing how prone I am to overreacting. =) I can't wait.
Cadence

Postby J.R. » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:20 pm

Alright, I'm in the mood for some good romance. Only real thing...The male protagonist can't be whiny or a wimp...That's gotta be one of the most annoying things for me in the genre. So if you've got any good recommends, I'd appreciate it.
Nothing that you have not given away will ever really be yours.
J.R.

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:25 pm

J.R. (post: 1398345) wrote:Alright, I'm in the mood for some good romance. Only real thing...The male protagonist can't be whiny or a wimp...That's gotta be one of the most annoying things for me in the genre. So if you've got any good recommends, I'd appreciate it.
Romeo x Juliet. It's streaming on Hulu, Funi's Youtube and their homepage. Excellent, excellent show. Plenty of romance and adventure...plus Romeo is not a whimp.

EDIT* Oh, and Macross Plus . It's not streaming or anything, but it's only a 4 episode OVA and shouldn't be too expensive (you can rent it on Netflix). Sure, it's a mecha show, but its also a love story with a fascinating love-triangle (hey, it is Macross after all!).
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:29 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1398346) wrote:Romeo x Juliet. It's streaming on Hulu, Funi's Youtube and their homepage. Excellent, excellent show. Plenty of romance and adventure...plus Romeo is not a whimp.

Seconding, thirding, and quadrupling!!! I love this show! XD
Higashi no Eden (Eden of the East) too, though it starts up rather slow
Macross Frontier
and Princess Tutu- do not be fooled by the fighting ballet premise- and the main guy (not the Prince!) is totally not whiny or a wimp!
(Summer Wars is also totally awesome!)
Atria35

Postby blkmage » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:32 pm

J.R. (post: 1398345) wrote:Alright, I'm in the mood for some good romance. Only real thing...The male protagonist can't be whiny or a wimp...That's gotta be one of the most annoying things for me in the genre. So if you've got any good recommends, I'd appreciate it.

Clannad.
blkmage

Postby J.R. » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:43 pm

Thanks for the recommendations thus far. I have seen Clannad, which is ranks among my favorite animes. Also, I've probably seen most every adaption that bears the Macross name, all the way back to the early 80's. XD All the same, thanks guys.
J.R.

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:46 pm

J.R. (post: 1398360) wrote:Thanks for the recommendations thus far. I have seen Clannad, which is ranks among my favorite animes. Also, I've probably seen most every adaption that bears the Macross name, all the way back to the early 80's. XD All the same, thanks guys.
Not interested in RxJ? It's really a quality show, man. Sounds like just what you're looking for.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby J.R. » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:48 pm

Oh I am. I've put all the shows recommended to me that I haven't seen yet on my list to watch. :grin:
J.R.

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews