What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby Atria35 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:19 pm

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind vol 1-3- epic. Way epic. I can see why they could only really make a movie out of the first volume!
Atria35

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:37 pm

Working through Hunter x Hunter Vol 17 and One Piece Vol 4. These series are just great AND a great time. Excellent stuff.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Atria35 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:17 pm

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind vol 4-5- Wooo! Totally exciting!
Atria35

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:12 pm

Finished Vol 17 of Hunter x Hunter. What a tantalizing place to end the volume! I need more...

Also finished Vols 4 and 5 of One Piece and starting 6. I have loved Sanji since his first panel.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Atria35 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:12 pm

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind vol. 6-7- Absolutely wonderful. Perhaps a tad heavy-handed on the conservation bit, but overall very good.
Atria35

Postby Atria35 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:24 am

Chobits (all)- managed to borrow this one off a friend :) No matter how much I know the CLAMP worlds are entwined, it always surprises me when I find a new link - the world in Chobits is the world of Angelic Layer, only about 10 or 15 years later. Freaky! Overall this was a sweet story, but with too much fanservice and *ahem* unfortunate implications for my liking.
Atria35

Postby airichan623 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:32 pm

xxxHOLIC. i agree with atria on the whole clamp thing.

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby blkmage » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:13 pm

So I guess I'm reading Kaichou wa Maid-sama now. I can definitely see where the Kare Kano comparisons were coming from. The dynamic between Misaki and Takumi is really comparable to Arima and Yukino or Hikari and Kei from Special A. It's the whole two incredibly smart and capable people who are also competitive working out the relationship manga. I was hoping that the bigger problems that the couple faces would trend more towards Kare Kano, but it's already gone down the Special A/Ouran route of rich kid problems with rich families and random people that said rich people are apparently able to pull out of nowhere to harass the main characters.
blkmage

Postby Atria35 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:38 pm

Eden: It's An Endless World! vol. 1- This reminds me of when that avian flu story broke and everyone started freaking out. What would happen if it did make the jump to infective? How would countries react? Who would be left after it swept through? The disease that runs through the countries in this story is like that flu, but with the contagiousness. And the major question is whether it was punishment from God, whether humans are meant to survive at all, and what happens afterward to the survivors. Very ingaging and involving, but also brings up religious and moral questions some wouldn't be comfortable with. Also requires some refreshing in Biology and how cells work if you want to really understand what they're saying about the disease. Hurrah! to a mangaka that did their homework- as a Biology major, I can say that it seems decently plausable. Boo to getting a tad technical for the casual reader- even I had to wrack my brains a bit to think about what the mangaka was really saying.
Atria35

Postby thejackal221 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:55 am

DBZ and Vampire Knights
thejackal221

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:05 am

Rurouni Kenshin Vols 18-20.

Ah, now this feels like post-Kyoto Kenshin. I was unaware that there exists ten volumes of unanimated manga (the Remembrance stuff is different enough from the Trust and Betrayal OVAs that I don't count that). The last third of the anime might be one of the top five biggest disappointments of my life. These volumes have definitely reignited my love for these characters, Watsuki's story and this time-period in Japan. The Remembrance storyline is much darker in tone (and higher in blood count) than the rest of the anime. It is a tantalizing set up for the closing stages of the Jinchu arc. Unbelievably good stuff.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Atria35 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:50 am

Finally gave in and started to read Hikaru no Go, and finding it as awesome as most people say it is. Somewhat disappointed by this, as now I have 23 volumes to read.
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:47 am

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1386570) wrote:Rurouni Kenshin Vols 18-20.

Ah, now this feels like post-Kyoto Kenshin. I was unaware that there exists ten volumes of unanimated manga (the Remembrance stuff is different enough from the Trust and Betrayal OVAs that I don't count that). The last third of the anime might be one of the top five biggest disappointments of my life. These volumes have definitely reignited my love for these characters, Watsuki's story and this time-period in Japan. The Remembrance storyline is much darker in tone (and higher in blood count) than the rest of the anime. It is a tantalizing set up for the closing stages of the Jinchu arc. Unbelievably good stuff.

Glad you're liking it!

I read FMA 106 and Tegami Bachi 27-28.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby blkmage » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:12 pm

Went through an Asano Inio one-shot anthology titled Sekai no Owari to Yoakemae. It explores the typical territory that Asano Inio tends to cover. Pretty good if you're just looking for more of his stuff to read, but it obviously won't match his works that are of substantial length.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:04 am

Glad to be bringing back the Kenshin good-feelings.

Been reading a few things lately: a lil Prince of Tennis (fun, fun, fun), a lil Kekkaishi (lots of potential, but too early for me to judge) and Vol 21 of Kenshin (!!). I have also read up through Vol 19 of Hunter X Hunter.

Well.

So the G.I. storyline finally ended, and we're going to move on to more about the Phantom Troupe/Kurapika?Hisoka/Ging right? Right? Er..no.

Gotta say, so far I'm not a fan of the "bug arc." It sort of came out of nowhere, and it just feels a bit strange. Frankly, it's also kind of disturbing[spoiler](the human slaves scene was pretty ick)[/spoiler]which can be a good thing if done right but, so far, it hasn't been for me (probably doesn't help that I find insects quite gross). I am hoping it gets better, as I have invested a lot of time into this series.

And where the heck is Liorio? ..Please don't actually answer =).
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Davidizer13 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:38 am

Did some catching up on my favorite series last week, and started a new one:

Read 20th Century Boys vol. 1 (chaps. 1-10) - Wow. I can tell that this is going to be really good, right away. It starts out looking like a slice-of-life series, but I can tell it's really, really not going to end that way. It's only going to get better from here.

Read Full Metal Alchemist vol. 21 (up to chap. 88 - I know I'm behind; don't rush me, I get my manga from a library) - All I can say without spoiling anything is that Ed's got quite a fight on his hands now. I'll probably read 22 on Tuesday.

Read One Piece vol. 13 - While the characters are really fun to watch, the plot is just kinda "meh" right now: something about a princess escaping a coup in her country. The arc might have potential, though. (Also, Oda still can't draw a girl that doesn't look like Nami.)

Read Yotsuba&! vols. 6 and 7 - Yotsuba's still cute, Jumbo's still huge, Yanda's still a jerk, and the series is still funny/cute, and a great read. Not much else to add.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:07 pm

I caught up on Tegami Bachi today, which is excellent!
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Atria35 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:10 pm

Started reading Heaven Bound- started out nicely. Art- typical doujin quality. Not bad. Characters- seem interesting, except where the writers fell on tired cliches- evil woman has horns, innocent woman has overprotective brother, etc. Story- could use some polishing. There's several cases of writing that's just... clunky, for lack of a better word. Case in point?
[spoiler]Character A- "I'm really not interested in anyone right now."
Character B- "You'll find someone good and pure and sweet and angelic soon enough, I'm sure!"[/spoiler]
:rant:Where's the bar?! That line just shoves some meaningless words into the character's mouth and the reader's ideas. What's her baseline for judgement? What's ours, especially when this gives the impression of a sugar-sweet 'perfect woman' that drives the everyday girl insane trying to be, and doesn't exist in the first place! *end rant

In short, it can be done better. The writing rubs me wrong, but I think I'll try to get through some more before giving a final judgement.
Atria35

Postby Atria35 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:34 pm

Liar Game volume 2- Fascinating. I've seen the live-action drama, so seeing how this differed in comparison is terribly interesting. It does differ- a lot! There's a character who I hadn't seen (ingenious disguise, and I wasn't smart enough to pick up on the clue about who that character really was!). The really annoying screaming mushroom-man hasn't appeared. How the whole thing works out is the same, though, which was a bit of a relief. This is a really interesting manga, and I think I'll keep with it.
Atria35

Postby Blacklight » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:23 pm

[quote="Blacklight (post: 1384565)"]Yay! I found out that Petshop of Horrors volume 3 IS actually in the library catalouge... just not under "Pet Shop of Horrors"... It's also the last "T-rated" volume of the series... which I never understood, but now I can continue the series.

I'm reading Captive Hearts, but it just seems so... slow? it doesn't really make me want to rip through the pages to the end. I've only read the first two volumes though.

I started reading Ouran a while back, because I was like, "It's a finished series, so why not?", and then I find out it's still ongoing. *Sigh*
I'm waiting to continue it.

(Same reason why I never started reading One Piece. It's NEVER ENDING!
Kind of sad, I guess]

Update:
Dropped Captive Hearts, yesterday got PSoH 3 from the library, dropped most of the series I was reading before; I'm pretty much starting over, for some unexplainable reason I began reading "Ludwig Revolution", and I'm almost done with it; it's not too bad at this point.

Will start xxxHolic sometime soon, whether or not it's complete, I haven't read Death Note in awhile.
[color="Blue"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color]
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="DeepSkyBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color][/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Pink"]chatbot 03:36 - Blacklight asks, are you sane?
My answer: It's hard to say, really.[/color]
Blacklight

Postby MightiMidget » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:45 am

A friend let me pick through her manga for what I wanted...I hadn't heard of any of it. :lol: But....

I finished the first two volumes of Crown which were absolutely hilarious. :lol: Also finished first 2 volumes of Cy-Believers, onto volume 3. =)
MightiMidget

Postby Blacklight » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:50 pm

Ludwig Revolution:
Hmm, if I knew about 'prince Julius', I probably wouldn't have read it, but it wasn't so bad by the end.
[color="Blue"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color]
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="DeepSkyBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color][/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Pink"]chatbot 03:36 - Blacklight asks, are you sane?
My answer: It's hard to say, really.[/color]
Blacklight

Postby ST. Attidude » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:02 pm

Might read Fullmetal Alchemist vol. 19 tonight :D
[color="Magenta"]@[/color][color="Red"])}[/color][color="DarkGreen"]~[/color][color="Green"]`,[/color][color="Lime"]~[/color] [color="LightBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, [color="Red"]As Thanks,[/color] [color="LightBlue"]To All The CAA Moderators[/color][/color]
______
[color="Navy"]ST[/color][color="Blue"].[/color][color="RoyalBlue"] Attidude's[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"].[/color][color="LightBlue"].[/color].Portfolio Site, Twitter,
DeviantArt page
ST. Attidude

Postby MightiMidget » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:23 pm

Finished the last two volumes of Cy-Believers. Not sure what in my strange stack to start next. =)
MightiMidget

Postby ILurvMusic » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:00 pm

I finished reading Kimi ni Todoke chapter 40 and about to read chapter 41!! :]
ILurvMusic

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:00 pm

I'm up to halfway through the American editions of Blade of the Immortal, which is pretty cool.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Atria35 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:32 pm

I re-read Hotel for my review of it, and cried. Again. I've read it three times now, and I'm still crying over it!.... Methinks that is a sign of a good manga.
Atria35

Postby Atria35 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:46 am

And now I've gotten a hold of Franken Fran, volume 4. Having been given some time to collect myself after reading the first three volumes, I wasn't as horrified this time around. Still gruesome, still horribly awkward when everything she does turns out.... not for the better. Good for what it is? Yes. But not my favorite.

Cowa!- entire volume. Cute! Not for my age group, definitely, but I think I'd give this to a neice or nephew to read. There's plenty in there for them to enjoy.
Atria35

Postby AnimeGirl » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:48 pm

I just purchased an issue of Shounen Jump! and enjoyed the first manga in there, I think it was called Bakuman or something....all I know it's about 2 guys starting a manga together. I hope to read more chapters in the future, I'm liking it so far.
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Atria35 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:09 pm

AnimeGirl (post: 1390175) wrote:I just purchased an issue of Shounen Jump! and enjoyed the first manga in there, I think it was called Bakuman or something....all I know it's about 2 guys starting a manga together. I hope to read more chapters in the future, I'm liking it so far.

lolz, and there's a thread about it on here, too! I'm glad you're liking it- Now I have even more incentive to.
Atria35

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews