What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:30 pm

blkmage (post: 1381525) wrote:I see that you haven't watched any Gundam.

I am one of "those guys" that have only seen Wing . Caught it on CN when I was a teenager. Even tho I understand that it's not the best of the series, I loved it back in the day (doesn't hold up well for me tho)...so much so that I had a (moderately successful) Wing website that got a mention in Pojo Magazine.

More to the point: I have actually seen a few dubbed eps of 00. Yeah, they have some pretty awful names (Allelujah/Hallelujah Haptism stands out), but for me none tops Biscuit.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby ich1990 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:48 pm

Steel Ball Run vol. 6

And people are turning into dinosaurs. I knew it would happen, but that doesn't lesson the effect. You know what the scary part is? I am kind of growing fond of this insane weirdness.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Valkaiser » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:18 pm

Just finished Trigun #1 - Deep Space Planet Future Gun Action and .hack //Legend of the Twilight 2.
Valkaiser

Postby Rusty Claymore » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:35 pm

Tegami Bachi, aka Letter Bee.
Though I'm waiting for next months to come out...
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby SeraphicCharm » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:50 pm

Kare Kano, finished the third volume a couple weeks ago.
SeraphicCharm

Postby ich1990 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:44 pm

Steel Ball Run vol. 7-8

Our protagonists start down a True Man's Path. This is significant because they are already pretty manly to begin with, having taken a bullet to the forehead in a stoic manner that would make a Bleach character proud.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby eternalprincess » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:12 am

Just finished Sailor StarS 1 & 2. Now working on Sailor StarS 3.

@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
eternalprincess

Location: Texas: Sitting at the computer writing, and explaining anime to someone who found out I'm into it.

Postby steenajack » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:17 pm

A few days ago, finished Hikaru no Go volume 13. XD!
Last night, finished reading +Anima volume 2. X3!
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby Atria35 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:21 pm

I read Uzimaki not too long ago, all three volumes (and it wasn't great even by horror standards), and read all of Victorian Romance Emma, which was good (but I was surprised at how different it was from the anime)
Atria35

Postby TGJesusfreak » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:42 pm

Maximum Ride the Manga books 1 and 2. Totally awesome.
TGJesusfreak

Location: USA... Earth... the milky way galaxy... the universe...

Postby Atria35 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:46 am

Shugo Chara vol. 7- very happy to wrap this series up! (but now I need to read the extra volumes!)
Atria35

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:24 pm

Giant Robo: the Day the Earth Burned vol. 2
Otoyomegatari vol. 1

While it bugs me that the IPO is apparently staffed by a bunch of jerks now, Zangetsu single-handedly invading the Celestial Nine's fortress? I'M THERE.
ich1990 (post: 1382139) wrote:Steel Ball Run vol. 7-8

Our protagonists start down a True Man's Path. This is significant because they are already pretty manly to begin with, having taken a bullet to the forehead in a stoic manner that would make a Bleach character proud.
Ah yes, True Man's World. How about that Ringo Roadagain?
Fish and Chips

Postby Cloud500 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:52 pm

I picked up One Piece volumes 32 & 33 today.

I've been meaning to read this series for several years now. I've only read bits and pieces of the manga and seen a dozen or so episodes of the anime(and thoroughly enjoyed it), but I really like the art style and have heard nothing but good things about it, so I thought I might as well start with the latest story arc (Latest in the english release at least).

Now I just need to obtain a large sum of money to buy the previous volumes and the ones to follow. But the great thing about series like this is that you can really just start reading whenever and still enjoy it.
Cloud500

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:42 pm

Been reading Death Note. Finally picked up volumes 3-8 after having 1 and 2 for a few years XD I'll be getting the last four next pay day I think.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby blkmage » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:38 pm

Finally got around to reading Solanin, mostly because of AKFG's new single for the live-action movie. Despite not being in such dire straits or feeling the same sort of malaise as the characters, it still managed to resonate with me to an eery degree. I can definitely relate to this whole thing and I can definitely see myself in the same sort of rut if I didn't have something that I was really passionate about to work towards.
blkmage

Postby Atria35 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:51 pm

Totally finished all of Shugo Chara (vols 8-11), and then read a one-volume one called Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms, about 2 generations of a family after the bombing of Hiroshima. I might write a review of this one if there isn't one already....
Atria35

Postby blkmage » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:49 pm

Having been introduced to Asano Inio's work through Solanin, I decided to look for more. So I ended up going through Nijigahara Holograph tonight. There's a lot going on and it likes to jump back and forth in time. Now, I thought I was doing pretty well in piecing the entire thing together. In the last few chapters though, the weirdness gets cranked up pretty high and found myself lost quite frequently. tl;dr - it's interesting.
blkmage

Postby Hohenheim » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:55 pm

Just read chapter 579 of One Piece
[font="Arial Black"]"But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness." - excerpt from the novel Brave New World[/font]

[font="Century Gothic"]"Is all this striving after ultimate meaning a massive delusion, a gigantic wish-fulfillment?...Could our symbol-rich world be of interest only to a pitiless nihilist? I do not think so." - Simon Conway Morris[/font]

[font="Century Gothic"]"Faith seeks understanding. I do not seek to understand that I may believe, but I believe in order to understand." - St. Anselm of Canterbury[/font]
Hohenheim

Postby Atria35 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:50 pm

Started reading Ah! My Goddess vol 1 (there are 40 out so far, and it doesn't seem like it'll be finishing soon :sweat: At least I'll have somthing for when my other series get slow....), and Shinigami no Ballad vol 1, which only has 3 volumes in it.
Atria35

Postby Atria35 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:42 pm

Finished the entirety of Ballad of a Shinigami, and practically cried through it. Good stuff.
Atria35

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:22 am

Read up through Vol 15 of Hunter X Hunter. LOVE!

Also read Vol 1 of Pandora Hearts. Lots of potential here. I dig the art style a lot, and the story seems rife with interesting places it could go.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:12 pm

So I finished reading the Hellsing manga all the way down to Vol. 11.

Ehhhhhhhh..slight rant ahead.

[SPOILER]Alucard should have just stayed dead. I find it a bit riduculous that he came back to life after all of those battles. I guess it's possible he's now a chesire cat, existing everywhere and nowhere so now he can be wiped out. The whole "Mina" plot didn't make a lot of sense either. In the end the only reason I read this was for all the action and gore. The storyline behind it is just downright weak. By the end of the manga, I was glad Alucard died. I was getting tired of him. The guy was nothing more than a bloodthirsty(irony intended) moron who was too hax for his own good. This would have been a whole lot better if Anderson had not turned into a monster and if he had killed him. The whole, "vampires desire death" plot device was somewhat well developed, I'll give them that.[/SPOILER]
Yamamaya

Postby shadowblade » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:04 am

Skip Beat Vol. 20

Proud Member of the Challengers Guild ^_^

Life is not about us using God for our purposes, but about Him using us for His purposes.

Faith is not creating a false reality, but acknowledging God's promises for us.

The dreams I dream for you
Are deeper than the ones your clinging to
Let the old dreams die
Like stars that fade from view
And take the cup I offer
And drink deeply of the dreams I dream for you
-Avalon

[color=Navy]Bill: Ted, you and I have witnessed many things, but nothing as bodacious as what just happened.
Besides, we told ourselves to listen to this guy...
Ted: But what if we were lying?
Bill: Why would we lie to ourselves?
-Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
[/color]
shadowblade

Postby Atria35 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:01 pm

Clover- all 4 volumes. Too existenstial for my tastes, but not terrible. Would have prefferred something with a little more substance, though.
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:45 pm

Nadia (post: 1384307) wrote:Read chapter 79 of Ouran High School Host Club.

I as well.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby blkmage » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:32 pm

Ouran is giving off some final arc vibes in the way the characters are framing the whole situation. I have to say that ever since Hikaru effectively gave up, I've felt like the story hasn't been as coherent. At least the rich people problems in Ouran are presented in a way that you can empathize with, unlike Special A.

I've also been making my way through Oyasumi Punpun. That manga, along with Solanin and Nijigahara Holograph, has crowned Asano Inio as the top mangaka for me. Punpun is the most amazing combination of weird, mindbending, and depressing. It basically follows the life of a kid, except to the audience, the kid and his family have all been abstracted into these really simple bird-caricatures. It's pretty amazing.
blkmage

Postby steenajack » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:55 pm

Last night, finished volume 1 of Tsubasa Chronicles. X3!
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby Atria35 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:46 pm

Towards the Terra- wow. Just wow. This may be 30 years old, but it's still amazing! :thumb:
Atria35

Postby Blacklight » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:14 pm

Yay! I found out that Petshop of Horrors volume 3 IS actually in the library catalouge... just not under "Pet Shop of Horrors"... It's also the last "T-rated" volume of the series... which I never understood, but now I can continue the series.

I'm reading Captive Hearts, but it just seems so... slow? it doesn't really make me want to rip through the pages to the end. I've only read the first two volumes though.

I started reading Ouran a while back, because I was like, "It's a finished series, so why not?", and then I find out it's still ongoing. *Sigh*
I'm waiting to continue it.

(Same reason why I never started reading One Piece. It's NEVER ENDING!
Kind of sad, I guess; I really liked the what, 80something-90something episodes I watched way back, but I can't finish a series that doesn't have an end.)
[color="Blue"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color]
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="DeepSkyBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color][/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Pink"]chatbot 03:36 - Blacklight asks, are you sane?
My answer: It's hard to say, really.[/color]
Blacklight

Postby Cloud500 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:04 pm

One Piece vol. 34-36

20th Century Boys vol. 7

Pluto vol. 7
Cloud500

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews