Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Falx » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:19 pm

There's a hot springs episode you might want to skip if you dislike fanservice... extremely suggestive and filled with lots of near nudity to the extent that it wouldn't have mattered much if they had shown everything.

Luckily if you skip an episode you don't miss out on any plot in this season.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby impact777 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:58 am

Falx (post: 1377645) wrote:There's a hot springs episode you might want to skip if you dislike fanservice... extremely suggestive and filled with lots of near nudity to the extent that it wouldn't have mattered much if they had shown everything.

Luckily if you skip an episode you don't miss out on any plot in this season.

Ah ok. That's good to know. Thank you.
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
impact777

Postby steenajack » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:36 pm

RamenPizza (post: 1377467) wrote:If you mean Kodomo no Omocha (Kodocha), it is a VERY funny and enjoyable series. One of my old favorites. (:

So far I only know of the first season, and an extra OVA which is a recap or one of the original series' episodes.

"Sana Kurata has a charmed life. Not only is her mother is a famous, award-winning writer, but she's the star of the hit TV comedy "Child's Toy" while still in the fifth grade. But Sana's biggest concern is Akito Hayama, a pint-sized hellion who's organized the boys in their grade-school class into a mass of unending noise and violence. With the help of Rei, her manager, chauffeur and "pimp," Sana is determined to win back control of the classroom from her new arch-enemy. But as her crusade continues, Sana moves further into Akito's life, and finds that he might not be entirely bad...or entirely safe." (Source: ANN)

I don't recall there being any crude language or violence or sexual content in it. There may be a few bad words, but from what I recall there is nothing that would get you into trouble. [It's rated PG-13] If you liked Fruits Basket, Clannad, or most of the Funimation series, I'm sure you will enjoy this. Sana and Tsuyoshi for the win! :3 Hope you have fun watching it if you decide to. I'd recommend the dub, though. The english voices are just hilarious and add to the series. [Not in a bad way]

Thank you so much for the info. :)
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby steenajack » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:01 pm

Yuki.N30 (post: 1377196) wrote:I draw anime a lot and I'm REALLY into it, but I don't know a good series.
I'm a jr high (middle school part) and I don't like really to much cussing and if there is some not the bad ones like,, well I can't list them but the ones that aren't bad D and H aren't that bad for me but I'd still like it pretty brief (maybe 3 cuss words per season?) Not really any nudity, that would be good and no sexual reference or completely immodest clothing. No perverted men or women or homo people. And still fairly brief on magic too.
Mangas I like (not many animes yet)
Yotsuba
+Anima (yes it's not well known but it's GOOD)
Happy Happy Clover
Magical Pokemon Adventure
Animes
Hamtaro (Don't like it anymore but I did
Oh and can we keep fighting to a fair minumum ? I like action and sword fighting and ninja stuff but I don't really like.... BLOOD, atleast not gore and dripping all down the hands and well stuff like that.

I highly reccomend any film by Hayao Miyazaki (except Princess Mononoke due to graphic violence). They have reviews for all of them here. His movies have interesting stories, and are rather clean for the most part. I also recomend The Cat Returns and The Girl who Leapt Through Time and Hikaru no Go. They have reviews for all of those except for The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (this one has a little language and a couple suggestive comments, but nothing horrid.) Hope I was of help to you.

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby Falx » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:01 am

steenajack (post: 1377999) wrote:I highly reccomend any film by Hayao Miyazaki (except Princess Mononoke due to graphic violence). They have reviews for all of them here. His movies have interesting stories, and are rather clean for the most part. I also recomend The Cat Returns and The Girl who Leapt Through Time and Hikaru no Go. They have reviews for all of those except for The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (this one has a little language and a couple suggestive comments, but nothing horrid.) Hope I was of help to you.

You can also safely watch:

ARIA (all three seasons)
Sketchbook ~Full ColorS
GA Gejiutska Art Design
Eve no Jikan
Noein
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Falx

Postby jadeTheshade » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:03 am

what is this ARIA everyone is recommending?
i'm interested, could someone give me a basic plot outline?
[font="Book Antiqua"]two roads diverged in a wood and i
took the one less traveled by
and that has made all the difference
-Robert F[color="black"][color="Blue"][/color][/color]rost[/font]
jadeTheshade

Postby Tsukuyomi » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:46 am

jadeTheshade (post: 1378999) wrote:what is this ARIA everyone is recommending?

I cheated and looked it up xP
Aqua and Aria take place in the early 24th century, starting in 2301 AD, in the city of Neo-Venezia on the planet Aqua—] Neo-Venezia, based on Venice in both architecture and atmosphere,[5] is a harbor city of narrow canals instead of streets, traveled by unmotorized gondolas.[6]

At the start of Aqua, a young woman named Akari arrives from Manhome (formerly Earth) to become a trainee gondolier with Aria Company, one of the three most prestigious water-guide companies in the city. Her dream is to become an undine, a gondolier who acts as tour guide (see Terms below). As she trains, Akari befriends her mentor Alicia, trainees and seniors from rival companies - Aika, Alice, Akira and Athena and others characters in the Neo-Venezia city. Aqua covers Akari's arrival on Aqua and her early training as a Pair, or apprentice, while Aria continues her training as a Single, or journeyman, culminating in the graduation of her, Aika, and Alice as full Prima undines.

Each chapter is a slice of life episode of Akari's exploration of the worlds of gondoliering, Neo-Venezia, and Aqua itself.[5] Amano frequently uses several pages of lush art to depict an environment, showing the wonder of both everyday activities as well as one-of-a-kind events. It has been described by reviewers as very similar in tone and effect to Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō.
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby AnimeGirl » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:51 pm

Is Clannad any good? I heard it is, and I plan on watching it. Also, when I was browsing the anime section at Best Buy I saw one called Sola, sounds interesting, and Elemental Gelade or whatever, or those good? Both are 13+, so that's the highest rating I go XD
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby blkmage » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:43 pm

jadeTheshade (post: 1378999) wrote:what is this ARIA everyone is recommending?

Here is a thread about it that contains basic information, why you should watch it, and why everyone loves it.

AnimeGirl (post: 1379036) wrote:Is Clannad any good? I heard it is, and I plan on watching it. Also, when I was browsing the anime section at Best Buy I saw one called Sola, sounds interesting, and Elemental Gelade or whatever, or those good? Both are 13+, so that's the highest rating I go XD

Clannad (and Clannad After Story) is a riveting tale about family. I consider it to be one of the best stories in anime. It'll make you run the entire gamut of emotions, inducing everything from hysterical laughter to little girl bawling. It'll take you through a journey where you'll experience the joy of life and the tragedy of death. You'll watch a boy transform from an ungrateful child into a man and a father. It's a story that's beautifully animated and beautifully told.

Also, I didn't like sola very much.
blkmage

Postby steenajack » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:16 pm

Hey AnimeGirl, I found reviews for the anime you are wanting to watch. From what I know about Clannad (and it's sequel Clannad After Story) it is very good but (as far as I know) not dubbed. The same with Aria (also very good, but still not dubbed.) I've been told MANY times that Aria is VERY clean. Like Clannad, it also has a few sequals. Clannad is pretty clean for the most part, with a few little innuendos here and there. One person reccomended to me to skip an episode, cause it really had nothing to do with the storyline anyway. There actually is a thread for Clannad and Clannad After Story here somewhere. But anyway, here are the reviews. Each anime has more than one, that way you can get different points of views of it and everything(please note that some of these reviews contain spoilers):

Sola:http://www.themanime.org/viewreview.php?id=1159
http://www.mania.com/sola-anime-legends-edition_article_115401.html

Aria:http://www.themanime.org/viewreview.php?id=886
http://www.mania.com/aria-animation-season-1-collection_article_80386.html
http://www.theanimereview.com/index.html

Elemental Gelade: http://www.themanime.org/viewreview.php?id=891

Clannad:http://www.themanime.org/viewreview.php?id=1104
http://www.mania.com/clannad-collection-1_article_112262.html
http://www.mania.com/clannad-collection-2_article_113519.html
http://www.theanimereview.com/index.html

And here are some reviews for:

Clannad After story + movie:
http://www.themanime.org/viewreview.php?id=1179
http://www.themanime.org/viewreview.php?id=1049
http://www.mania.com/clannad-after-story-collection-1_article_116725.html
http://www.mania.com/clannad-after-story-collection-2_article_118045.html

Aria sequals:
http://www.themanime.org/viewreview.php?id=968
http://www.themanime.org/viewreview.php?id=1018
http://www.themanime.org/viewreview.php?id=1060

And here is the thread to Clannad:
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=53822&highlight=clannad

Hope I was of help to you. :D

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby steenajack » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:46 am

Could someone tell me about the content in Animation Runner Kuromi and it's sequel? This includes sex/drugs/violence/religion/language/etc. Any help/info would be awesome.
XD!

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby Falx » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:36 am

A quick look says it's rated PG-13, and the art style doesn't lend to being fanservicey... maybe someone else will have watched it and can confirm or deny.

Falx

Postby jadeTheshade » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

thanks blkmage and Tsu! looks like i've found a new series finally ^^
[font="Book Antiqua"]two roads diverged in a wood and i
took the one less traveled by
and that has made all the difference
-Robert F[color="black"][color="Blue"][/color][/color]rost[/font]
jadeTheshade

Postby wildpurplechild » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:50 pm

Anyone know some good neko or animal mangas? I've already read Fruits Basket, Peach Fuzz, and Beast Master.
Heads up, I don't go on this site much these days...
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

Postby steenajack » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:04 pm

You may like +Anima. It is a manga about people who are half-animal. They have a review for it on this site. X3!

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby Tsukuyomi » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:28 pm

wildpurplechild (post: 1379476) wrote:Anyone know some good neko or animal mangas? I've already read Fruits Basket, Peach Fuzz, and Beast Master.

Tokyo Mew Mew/Mew Mew Power may be a good one ^__^ It's full of girly goodness 8D
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby wildpurplechild » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:18 pm

Oh yeah I menat neko anime (silly me saying manga) I have read +Anima though, it was really good. I've also watched Wolf's Rain.
I don't know about Tokyo Mew Mew... Maybe too girly...
Heads up, I don't go on this site much these days...
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

Postby Lilac#18 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:47 pm

Any good martial arts anime? Like, 12/13 and up shojo or shonen anime with female fighters as the main characters?
FKA Selenite
B careful of bad habits u form when ur single. In most cases u'll carry them over into ur marriage! - Damita Haddon

"Apparently, it takes more than just the sword." - Mirai (Future) Trunks

24When you lie down, you shall not be afraid; yes, you shall lie down, and your sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:24 AMP

Lilac#18

Postby Sheol777 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:26 pm

Air Master - it's a bit too much fan service for my tastes. However the lead is an female, ex-gymnast turned street fighter. She is called 'Air Master' for her ability to remain airborn while executing moves.

ANN actually has it streaming.
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby steenajack » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:23 pm

Lilac#18 (post: 1380075) wrote:Any good martial arts anime? Like, 12/13 and up shojo or shonen anime with female fighters as the main characters?

Sakura Wars (I haven't really gotten into this one, and have only seen a few episodes. Some people may find it a bit boring, but I found the story kinda interesting. Nothing bad in here except mild TVPG level violence, as far as I know)

Twelve Kingdoms: This one is actually more interesting to me. It's one of my favorites actually. There is some brief non-sexual, artistic nudity, but nothing is shown as far as I've seen. Nothing really too objectional here except a few mild swears and some typical shounen violence) They have a review for it on this site, in case you're interested.

Baboo Blade: I have not see this one AT ALL, but I hear it's pretty clean. But, you may want to do more research on it, in case I may be wrong. It's about a school for girls who learn martial arts. They have a few episodes on Anime News Network, so it's legal to watch them there in case you're interested.

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby Adorima » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:41 pm

If you guys are looking for a good action/romance/noir watch Darker than Black.
The main character has two personalities, one gentle-hearted and open and the other jaded and ruthless, but you get to see how seamless and real both of them are. It's just like two sides of himself exemplified. He's a natural-type Chinese bishie btw, (lol Ouran reference)
Oh, last but not least the plot summary(The spoilers contained herein are resolved within the first ep, so not much of a spoiler):

A new breed of assasin called "contractors" have come when the old stars disappeared from the sky. New stars have come in their place, each one for each contrator shining bright in their sheer number and power, like a milky-way of souls. Behind large walls called "Gates" lies a region in each country which have been linked to the contractors, the appearance of the new sky, and the massacre of the human inhabitants.
But that doesn't stop governments and scientist's obsession with finding out what is behind this strange phenomenon. Syndicates, agencies and scientists alike depending on their agenda, capitalize on the opportunites for the advancment of the human race or domination of it. Hei is a skilled contractor working for a syndicate. He easily gains other's trust by playing a part of an earnest graduate student named Li Shenshung, and accomplishes most of his assignments under this guise. Hei carries many memories and many secrets, but out of all these things the most important objective for him is his revenge.

~~end of synopsis, written by moi. :thumb:

It's pretty violent, not enough to gross me out, but still violent. It seems counterintuitive at first, but what with all the character development it is it's a very touching anime. And this is just speculation but in a flashback the main character describes the stars as holes in heaven which God and people can communicate. He's no longer a believer, but I have a feeling he'll find some grace.
Adorima

Postby steenajack » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:10 pm

Could anyone tell me more about the content in "Big Windup" ? It looks kinda interesting, but it's rated TV-14, which I know from experience most likely means..... not very family friendly. So can anyone maybe specify on this rating? Any help would be awesome. BTW, Thanks Flax for your previous input.

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby Lilac#18 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:16 pm

Sheol777 (post: 1380102) wrote:Air Master - it's a bit too much fan service for my tastes. However the lead is an female, ex-gymnast turned street fighter. She is called 'Air Master' for her ability to remain airborn while executing moves.

ANN actually has it streaming.

[color="Plum"]Thanks, I'll check it out.:)[/color]

steenajack (post: 1380144) wrote:Sakura Wars (I haven't really gotten into this one, and have only seen a few episodes. Some people may find it a bit boring, but I found the story kinda interesting. Nothing bad in here except mild TVPG level violence, as far as I know)

Twelve Kingdoms: This one is actually more interesting to me. It's one of my favorites actually. There is some brief non-sexual, artistic nudity, but nothing is shown as far as I've seen before. Nothing really too objectional here except a few mild swears and some typical shounen violence) They have a review for it on this site, in case you're interested.

Baboo Blade: I have not see this one AT ALL, but I hear it's pretty clean. But, you may want to do more research on it, in case I may be wrong. It's about a school for girls who learn martial arts. They have a few episodes on Anime News Network, so it's legal to watch them there in case you're interested.

[color="Plum"]I've seen a little bit of Sakura Wars once a long time ago, but not all of it. I'll have to watched the first episode or first few episodes again then watch the rest. The other two anime I've never seen. Thanks for you suggestions.:)[/color]
FKA Selenite
B careful of bad habits u form when ur single. In most cases u'll carry them over into ur marriage! - Damita Haddon

"Apparently, it takes more than just the sword." - Mirai (Future) Trunks

24When you lie down, you shall not be afraid; yes, you shall lie down, and your sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:24 AMP

Lilac#18

Postby steenajack » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:17 pm

You're welcome. :D! Glad to have helped.

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby Roz » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:42 am

Lilac#18 (post: 1380075) wrote:Any good martial arts anime? Like, 12/13 and up shojo or shonen anime with female fighters as the main characters?

You might like Silent Mobius. It's got some weird religion and a few other things as far as bad content (if you need more details let me know) but I really enjoyed the character development and the fights. It's basically (without giving anything away) about an all female police group. Awesome series. Very similar to Sakura Wars I thought.

On Sakura Wars, I recently finished it and while I did enjoy it a lot (I love character driven animes) there is also a LOT of witch craft and weird magical powers. Some (for me, others might not agree) disturbing images also. If you can watch it for the characters interacting with each other and growing as people then go for it. I usually just skipped any section with really serious weirdness in it.

Steenajack's suggestion Bambo Blade is also really good. It's about a kendo club mostly made up of girls. It kinda gave me the feel of a slightly more serious Azumanga Daioh. Very funny, very good series. One of my favs.
Roz

Postby steenajack » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:00 pm

Alright, ladies and gentlemen....I've got a teeny, tiny question about and anime ova I got from the library called Animation Runner Kuromi. I read two reviews saying they were pretty clean, but looking at the back I see a "suggested 16 and up" rating....and they didn't say why. -_-; Typical. So I'm wondering if anyone has seen this anime, and could possibly explain any more details about the content in it. Any info/help would be great, and I'd really appreciate it. :D! If not, I'll just try to do some extra research. But thanks anyway. XD! You guys are awesome.

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby Wyntre Rose » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:09 pm

Here's what THEM anime reviews had to say about Animation Runner Kuromi, steen:

Recommended Audience: There are a few brief scenes of violence in a few clips from the anime-within-the-anime "Time Journeys" but nothing severe. Overall, there is very little that would be particularly objectionable though I don't know if children would appreciate the comedy of an anime about the making of an anime.
Wyntre Rose

Postby steenajack » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:09 pm

Thank you so much Wyntre Rose. :D!

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby EricTheFred » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:08 pm

Animation Runner Kuromi: For the record, my boys thought it was hilarious. I'm pretty sure the younger was nine or so when we rented it. Haven't seen the sequel (this is basically a single episode, but very very funny, so worth the rental.)
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby steenajack » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:16 pm

Thank you guys so much. XD!

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews