Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby MightiMidget » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:37 pm

Yay! Thank you very, very much! :D
MightiMidget

Postby That Dude » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:40 pm

You're quite welcome.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby ebonyrose » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:29 pm

Oh yay! I didn't see this thread! I prefer anime to manga. ^_^
This is basically a C&P from the Manga Reccomendations, with a few things changed. Particularly, I'm a little more squeamish about violence when it's in anime format than in your typical black and white manga.

I'm okay with:
*Most violence, though preferably not prolonged torture scenes. For anyone who has seen the finale of Death Note, that amount of blood is basically my limit. I could go a little higher, I suppose, but I'd rather not push it.
*No sex please.
*Language I can generally stand as well. Just nothing too pervasive. For instance, f-bombs start to bug me seriously after the 3rd one per episode or something, and even lesser swear words get to me if they're every other word.
*I wouldn't like anything witchcrafty. Supernatural thingies (like Shinigami in Death Note) are okay, just nothing with detailed rituals or such. I'm not looking for anything magically though, such as no magical girls and sparkly happy shoujo things. (I mean no offense to shoujo fans :p )
*I'll take any age range, depending on why it's rated the way it is. I'm usually more lenient with language and violence.
*No/very little nudity, please.

I'm looking for:
*Something serious. I enjoy dark-ish mangas, such as Death Note and Doubt.
*Shounen, preferably. I despise Shoujo (with the exception of Skip Beat!) with a passion...
*Mayhaps something scary? Horror is always good, I'm just pretty inexperienced.
This shall be updated when I decide that I have something interesting enough to say! Until then, let's watch this little smiley guy slam his head into a wall!
:bang:
Hehe... that's way too amusing...
ebonyrose

Postby MightiMidget » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:41 pm

Hmm. . .

In the "horror" category, I'd recommend Pandora Hearts. It is pretty much a version of Alice-in-Wonderland. It is the creepiest thing I have seen, though it does have a tendency to get quite silly. No sex, a little innuendo here and there though. I'd probably put it on "gore" level of Death Note? But different. It's much more "horror" gore than just flat out being getting shot/run through (though that is also present).

That's the only thing I can think of though as for "dark"....
MightiMidget

Postby blkmage » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:42 pm

MightiMidget (post: 1372486) wrote:A couple I was wondering about that had looked interesting plot wise, but was unsure of content due to rating were Ergo Proxy, Gilgamesh, Higurashi looked quite interesting but some people seemed iffy about it here? and...Serial Experiments Lain.

Mostly just wondering about sexual content and language...

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni is a horror/mystery set in a rural village in 1983. Over the last few years, there have been mysterious deaths on the night of Watanagashi, a local festival. The locals believe it to be the work of the local deity, Oyashiro-sama, and the victims have been known to oppose the village. The story follows a group of friends as they get caught in a series of incredibly violent murders and is about how they learn to trust each other and overcome destiny.
blkmage

Postby MightiMidget » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:01 pm

Continues to sound quite interesting...how bad is sexual content and language however? Or is it more just violent? Solely?
MightiMidget

Postby ebonyrose » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:06 pm

I've read a little of Pandora Hearts! It was really awesome, I just have such a short attention span for manga--ZOMBIESMIGOSH! A BUTTERFLYYYY!!!
*coughcough* Sorry about that
I had no idea it was an anime. Yay! ^_^
And I'll also check out Higurashi no Naku Koro. :) Out of curiosity, what does that title mean?

Thank'ee! <333
This shall be updated when I decide that I have something interesting enough to say! Until then, let's watch this little smiley guy slam his head into a wall!
:bang:
Hehe... that's way too amusing...
ebonyrose

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:28 pm

ebonyrose (post: 1372561) wrote:I've read a little of Pandora Hearts! It was really awesome, I just have such a short attention span for manga--ZOMBIESMIGOSH! A BUTTERFLYYYY!!!
*coughcough* Sorry about that
I had no idea it was an anime. Yay! ^_^

You can yay til about episode 22, where the anime greatly strays from the manga and goes into such a crazed ending that makes absolutely no sense and flips each character's personality to the point that every viewer is certain that Xebec hates their guts. =.= *fumefume*

Otherwise, I HIGHLY recommend Pandora Hearts anime up to that episode if you're into creepy Victorianish-style mystery fantasy. It's worth watching if ONLY for Yuki Kajiura's musical work and the Japanese voice cast is very well done. Best part is, you can catch up on the manga where the anime left off and still know what's going on so it's not a complete loss.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby Falx » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:44 pm

MightiMidget (post: 1372556) wrote:Continues to sound quite interesting...how bad is sexual content and language however? Or is it more just violent? Solely?

There is some sexual content in the form of innuendo, and the opening has some nudity but all the "bits" are covered. Cannot quite remember the language, but it probably isn't too bad.

It's mostly violence.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby Falx » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:50 pm

ebonyrose (post: 1372561) wrote:And I'll also check out Higurashi no Naku Koro. :) Out of curiosity, what does that title mean?

Thank'ee! <333

I noticed you said you disliked prolonged torture scenes... and...well... to give away as little as possible this anime is known for it's rather violent scenes. The fact this is usually happening to children is just extra D:

There was one scene in particular that made me wonder if I was going to continue with the show... and I was under the impression I could stomach anything.

If you continue all the way through to season two, it does have a very upbeat and happy ending... but the road to it is covered in blood and guts.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni means: When the Higurashi Cry. Higurashi are a type of cicada that is active during summer in Japan.

The first season is available under the title When They Cry: Higurashi.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Falx

Postby steenajack » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:24 pm

Could anyone tell me more about the content of an anime called Kodocha? I'm planning on watching the dubbed version of the anime. How is it in regards to language/violence/sexual stuff/drugs/religion/etc? Also, is this anime any good? Is it really funny? I am aware that only season 1 is dubbed. So, what is the content on the on season 2 subbed? Any info would be a BIG help. :D
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:40 pm

I am sure this has been asked before, but could anyone answer some questions about Le chevalier d'eon? Funimation just posted the whole show on their website for streaming.

1.) Is it good? 2.) How much nudity/sexual content does it have?

Thanks, guys!
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby orangedude » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:43 pm

Could anyone suggest a few animes for me? If at all possible, I'd like it to be action-packed, have no nudity, and have no false gods/godesses/worshiping anyone other than God plots. I really appreciate any and all suggestions! :)
orangedude

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:51 pm

Superbook and Flying House.

That's pretty much it. Every other series I can think of has at least one instance of partial nudity (usually after/during some kind of transformation). Japan doesn't have the same misgivings about nudity that we do here in the West.

You can try looking at the reviews database here. It tells how much "content" a series has.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby That Dude » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:15 pm

Infinite Ryvious
Noien
Last Exile
Robotech: The Macross Saga
Escaflowne

Those are a few to check out...All of them have a bit of objectionable stuff, but most are pretty clean and would fit within your standards Orange.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Roy Mustang » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:30 pm

That Dude wrote:Infinite Ryvious
Noien
Last Exile
Escaflowne

Those are a few to check out...All of them have a bit of objectionable stuff, but most are pretty clean and would fit within your standards Orange.

Escaflowne has tarot card reading in it. I don't think that will fit for him and are you talking about Robotech or Super Dimension Fortress Macross?

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang
[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Tsukuyomi » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:36 pm

That Dude (post: 1376582) wrote:Infinite Ryvious
Noien
Last Exile
Escaflowne

Escaflowne is good, but there are some stuff you may have a problem with, OragneDude ^^

The main heroine has psychic powers (if I recall correctly) and is transported to a mystical world :-?

@OrangeDude: How are your feelings about fantasy? Most anime is fantasy based, so there may be lots of elements you may not agree with o.o
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby That Dude » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:41 pm

Oh, yeah I forgot about the tarot cards...I knew that there was a reason why I was hesitant to add it to the list...I guess I'll just go with my gut next time.
That Dude

Postby orangedude » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:51 pm

Tsukuyomi (post: 1376585) wrote:Escaflowne is good, but there are some stuff you may have a problem with, OragneDude ^^

The main heroine has psychic powers (if I recall correctly) and is transported to a mystical world :-?

@OrangeDude: How are your feelings about fantasy? Most anime is fantasy based, so there may be lots of elements you may not agree with o.o

I'm cool with fantasy, but I try to stay away from tarot cards, speaking to/raising the dead, witchcraft, and the worshiping of false gods/godesses, which has really been limiting my anime watch-list...

I really, really appreciate you all suggesting anime! I was having such a irritatingly hard time finding any before I signed up, but now I've got a few to check out! Thank you guys! <3
orangedude

Postby Falx » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:57 am

orangedude (post: 1376594) wrote:I'm cool with fantasy, but I try to stay away from tarot cards, speaking to/raising the dead, witchcraft, and the worshiping of false gods/godesses, which has really been limiting my anime watch-list...

I really, really appreciate you all suggesting anime! I was having such a irritatingly hard time finding any before I signed up, but now I've got a few to check out! Thank you guys! <3

Sketchbook Full Colors
GA Gejiutska Design Class
Dennou Coil
Eve no Jikan
Gunslinger Girl
Sora no Manimani (They visit a Buddhist-style grave at one point, but that's all)
Sword of The Stranger (The villains do plan some sort of occult ritual to gain immortality but it is clearly shown as evil and there is no indication that it would work even in the context of the show)
Cencoroll (short, but oddball and entertaining)

I'm fairly sure the first season of Miname-ke is free of anything that would offend you... but I'm not 100% sure. The other seasons are definitely out as they do feature some nudity.

Kimi ni Todoke might be up your alley as well, but one character does wear a sweatshirt with 666 on it sometimes. It comes from the Japanese habit of putting anything vaguely western on shirts and selling them... there are some truly horrific things I've seen written on tshirts and the poor people wearing them don't have a clue as to what it says.

Falx

Postby That Dude » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:25 am

Hey OrangeDude, you could also check out Aria: The Animation, it's just a nice, cute slice of life. Another fantasy you might want to check out is, DNAngel, there's quite a bit of magic involved in the show, but it's pretty tastefully done, it might be crossing the line a little much, but it would be worth checking out a review to see if you want to give it a go.
That Dude

Postby Falx » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:40 am

That Dude (post: 1376746) wrote:Hey OrangeDude, you could also check out Aria: The Animation, it's just a nice, cute slice of life. Another fantasy you might want to check out is, DNAngel, there's quite a bit of magic involved in the show, but it's pretty tastefully done, it might be crossing the line a little much, but it would be worth checking out a review to see if you want to give it a go.

If you aren't able to watch Narnia... then you should pass ARIA. Otherwise I find it to be a remarkably similar series with a certain character that fits the role of Aslan, IMO, quite well.

Falx

Postby MightiMidget » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:24 am

I would second the DNAngel recommendation. One character has a fortune teller/tarot card obsession, but for the most part she just gets teased because of it and nothing comes of it that I remember. If you like RomeoxJuliet, you'd probably like DNAngel, which is also very cute and sweet and squee-worthy. =)
MightiMidget

Postby orangedude » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:49 pm

Ok, now I really wanna check out DNAngel, just for the term "squee-worthy"! Totally sold how awesome the show must be!
orangedude

Postby MasterDias » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:10 pm

I'll second Noein, Last Exile, and Dennou Coil.
You might also try Mobile Suit Gundam 00 and Heroic Age.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby impact777 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:25 am

I have a question concerning Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu. The first DVD has the name "Pandemonium". Is there some bad content in this season of fmp? Thanks for your help!
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
impact777

Postby That Dude » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:34 am

impact777 (post: 1377464) wrote:I have a question concerning Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu. The first DVD has the name "Pandemonium". Is there some bad content in this season of fmp? Thanks for your help!

I haven't seen a whole lot of it, but though there is less language, there is more fanservice and naughty humor.
That Dude

Postby impact777 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:40 am

That Dude (post: 1377465) wrote:I haven't seen a whole lot of it, but though there is less language, there is more fanservice and naughty humor.

Thank you for your fast answer. :) I don't like fanservice, but I think I'll give it a try..., but do you know if there is some "bad religion" in this season?
impact777

Postby That Dude » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:17 am

Like I said, I've only seen a few episodes, but I didn't see anything bad as far as religion. It's pretty much a comedy show starring the FMP characters.
That Dude

Postby impact777 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:09 pm

Thank you Dude und RamenPizza. :)
impact777

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews